As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] 'It built character.' - But only after you get them dates!!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Politics, and a bit of philosophy/religion since I left Christianity about two years ago. Been watching science-related videos lately.

Politics and religion, as I have read, is something that can easily scare people off, and I'm not all really learned in any particular science (but I'm considering some classes this fall).

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If politics and religion/philosophy are your primary interests then don't hide them.

You're right, some people find it 'intense', but as long as you present your ideas and thoughts in a coherent fashion it should come across as a reasonable set of interests. The people you may be scaring off don't have the same interest level as you and you're looking for someone to match up with you in some way, right?

Lucid on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In one version of my profile I mentioned how I hate getting chain letters and do "reply all' with links to appropriate Snopes articles when I get them. It was a big hit, I got a lot of replies saying "I do the same thing!" Of course, they were all from guys so I have no idea if it works to attract the ladies. But perhaps mention some little thing like that, that shows personality.

LadyM on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So...I was out of this thread for like, the last two months. Just wanted to drop in for an update! I'm in a pretty awesome LTR with the second girl I met up with off OKC. It's working out great, and while neither of us are in a position to really move it much further from where we are now (both in school/working) there's much promise. She's outside my normal type (her being a 4'11 brunette and 3 years older than me) but the fact that even that stuff is growing on me (tremendously I might add) is a great sign. So yeah, encouragement! It can work! She's beautiful, incredibly smart and it seems the more time we spend together the more compatible we are.

Oh, and also a thank you for the profile reviews and general advice given here. Specifically because in my case I had to ignore what was a pretty major issue of mine (my driver's license getting revoked right around the time things started) in order to pursue this relationship. Honestly the advice in this thread of "Don't tell a woman why she shouldn't sleep with you" probably got me over the hump that would've otherwise resulted in me abandoning this girl and forgetting the whole dating thing until I had a car again. So yeah, that would've been a huge mistake. Definitely great advice and I'd say I'm a testament to that. :lol:

milehigh on
  • Options
    HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does Learnedhand have a blog? He says some real ass shit and I'd like to read more.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    Does Learnedhand have a blog? He says some real ass shit and I'd like to read more.

I think my sig says it all. Reread it daily.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    LadyM wrote: »
    In one version of my profile I mentioned how I hate getting chain letters and do "reply all' with links to appropriate Snopes articles when I get them. It was a big hit, I got a lot of replies saying "I do the same thing!" Of course, they were all from guys so I have no idea if it works to attract the ladies. But perhaps mention some little thing like that, that shows personality.

I guarantee you half those guys do not "do the same thing".

OnTheLastFuckingCastle: I'm not looking for snippets I want big beefy blocks of text to digest.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    QuickMatch is annoying. "Someone chose you!" Oh really. I'm curious, of course. But it's all under duress. I mean, if I go to find out who did, it means I have to arbitrarily rate people I otherwise wouldn't have. WELL PLAYED, OKC.

Not that I'm going to, but...

riz on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128810&page=67

Here's some posts in an older internet dating thread.

It's kind of funny to look back and see who was active in the thread back then compared to now, as well as reread my own posts.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    milehigh wrote: »
    So...I was out of this thread for like, the last two months. Just wanted to drop in for an update! I'm in a pretty awesome LTR with the second girl I met up with off OKC. It's working out great, and while neither of us are in a position to really move it much further from where we are now (both in school/working) there's much promise. She's outside my normal type (her being a 4'11 brunette and 3 years older than me) but the fact that even that stuff is growing on me (tremendously I might add) is a great sign. So yeah, encouragement! It can work! She's beautiful, incredibly smart and it seems the more time we spend together the more compatible we are.

Oh, and also a thank you for the profile reviews and general advice given here. Specifically because in my case I had to ignore what was a pretty major issue of mine (my driver's license getting revoked right around the time things started) in order to pursue this relationship. Honestly the advice in this thread of "Don't tell a woman why she shouldn't sleep with you" probably got me over the hump that would've otherwise resulted in me abandoning this girl and forgetting the whole dating thing until I had a car again. So yeah, that would've been a huge mistake. Definitely great advice and I'd say I'm a testament to that. :lol:

congratulations! I remember reading your initial posts, glad to hear everything worked out

MortalToaster on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Haha, I showed my friend the girl with whom I've been hitting it off.

His reaction: "How did a guy like you get a girl like that to even respond to a message?"
    Me: "I sent it."

Confidence++

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cervetus wrote: »
    My brother doesn't want to try online dating but I think he's just clouded by the ridiculous notion that it's lame, which is easily dispelled by browsing the profiles of interesting hotties in your area (or at least my area).
    *snip*

I'm actually in Seattle proper now and just haven't updated my forum location, but a lot of people I'd normally consider outside of my league have responded to my messages. I'm still pretty new to OKC and perhaps haven't sent as many messages as I should have so I've only met one in person, but there's a promise of another in June and a few others actually talking to me. I'm not saying I'm rolling in pussy over here, but I'm getting a much better response than my "real life" had ever indicated I would, and I've barely started messaging the girls I've bookmarked as quite attractive much less started to settle.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    riz wrote: »
    QuickMatch is annoying. "Someone chose you!" Oh really. I'm curious, of course. But it's all under duress. I mean, if I go to find out who did, it means I have to arbitrarily rate people I otherwise wouldn't have. WELL PLAYED, OKC.

Not that I'm going to, but...

If you're really curious, change your what you're looking for age range to 99-99 and do the Quickmatch. Guys who rated you highly will be the ones who aren't 99.

animale on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    4'11 brunette

Tiny ladies are awesome

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    4'11 brunette

Tiny ladies are awesome

Yes they are

EDIT: Went on a date yesterday night.

Well, it was more or less just touching base with the girl, but we had a nice walk. She was more attractive than I thought she'd be, but I played it cool like it wasn't a big deal.

She told me we had a great time, but she told me she just got out of something and she doesn't want to lead me on. She keeps emphasising that she wants to hang out, but I think what kind of what foiled it was that I had the misfortune of having the same name as her last boyfriend, so everytime she says the name it irks her :?

Oh karma, you are a harsh mistress!

Godfather on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So... probably nobody read my whining several pages back about how I had no idea about this girl I was after and whether she was fucking me around.

Well... she ain't... she was just scared... just about fell off my chair when I realised she actually really wanted me.

...I still have no idea what to do! I guess i'll just take it day by day...

:lol:

Docken on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »

I think my sig says it all. Reread it daily.

There's a new title in there.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "[Internet Dating] Here, have this list of reasons as to why you should NOT date LearnedHand."

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I laugh out loud reading my sig EVERY. TIME. Ahahahahaha. Anyway, yes, title change!

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Internet Dating: "Hilarious" Published Writer seeks Human Female

Joolander on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    Internet Dating: "Hilarious" Published Writer seeks Asian Female

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Human" female.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    Internet Dating: Hilarious Published Writer seeks "date" with Human Female

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You guys just don't get LearnedHand, he's a satirist that never breaks character, like Stephen Colbert etc.

Also how could you guys date such a tiny chick if you are of any reasonable height? Wouldn't you get self conscious that people might think your dating a kid or something? 4'11 is really short, but i guess your dick would look bigger in her tiny hands. I don't know

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    i am six one

i've dated girls who were just under five feet tall

it wasn't a big deal

Organichu on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am 6 foot 9 it's a big deal when they say it's sooo cool I can wear heels and still feel short next to you!

Brainleech on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am 6 foot 9 it's a big deal when they say it's sooo cool I can wear heels and still feel short next to you!

Ah, see, your height now has purpose. It makes good fashion sense.

Slider on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Ah, see, your height now has purpose. It makes good fashion sense.

Not when you are on a second date she excuses herself goes back into her apt and gets some stripper platform heels just to to wear next to you while saying it's awesome I can wear these and still cannot look you in the eye

Brainleech on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm a 5'8" midget, which apparently automatically disqualifies me with about 1/3 of the female population.

forty on
  • Options
    OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone willing to give me a few pointers on my PoF profile?

Linky

I have an OKC account too, but it's worthless to me. There are basically about 4-5 people in my entire area, everyone else being across the border (I'm in a border city, so I can't blame OKC for drawing from that area). For some reason people in my actual city seem to use PoF much more.

I've actually been trying this for...I guess about 3 years or so, with extremely poor results. Granted, a lot of that MIGHT be blamed on me hardly ever messaging anyone and relying on women messaging me, but I've resolved to change that, and I'd like to be putting my best foot forward here.

Ormuss on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    forty wrote: »
    I'm a 5'8" midget, which apparently automatically disqualifies me with about 1/3 of the female population.
    That's only an inch or two under average height.

Lucid on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lucid wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that is average height. I don't think the bell curve of U.S. men's heights peaks at ~6'.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I thought it was somewhere around 5'9-10.

Lucid on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's pretty short if you just look at reasonably well off young men

Older generation were shorter yo

Average height for a young white dude is like 5 11 in the US last time I looked

5'10.5 apparently

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

5'10.5 apparently

Heights

Hmm, we are shorter in Canada. Weird.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well whatever. I don't care that much about auxology anyway -- I'm 6'2" so I've already won The Height Game.

That said, tiny girls are in fact awesome. You can pick them up and do things to/with them. :P

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Orm,

First line comes off pretty bad. "it's not much but it's me," ie I don't think much of myself.

Don't talk about how hard it is to write your profile in your profile. Everyone hates describing themselves in text.

Get a nice picture of yourself outside on one of those scenic paths you talk about and use that as your profile pic. (I can only see the main pic on my phone, maybe there are more I am not seeing)

In general it comes off a bit short on confidence and on details. I mean, I know you program....something, like video games, movies, a hockey team, and not going to bars and getting drunk til 4am (but you assume the average 30 year old does?). Not much to go on there. Maybe go into some detail about a summer blockbuster you found particularly blockbustery, or something interesting you saw on one of those scenic walks you went on, or SOMETHING, anything with done depth that a girl could see and go hmm, I'd like to know more.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Orm,

First line comes off pretty bad. "it's not much but it's me," ie I don't think much of myself.

Don't talk about how hard it is to write your profile in your profile. Everyone hates describing themselves in text.

Get a nice picture of yourself outside on one of those scenic paths you talk about and use that as your profile pic. (I can only see the main pic on my phone, maybe there are more I am not seeing)

In general it comes off a bit short on confidence and on details. I mean, I know you program....something, like video games, movies, a hockey team, and not going to bars and getting drunk til 4am (but you assume the average 30 year old does?). Not much to go on there. Maybe go into some detail about a summer blockbuster you found particularly blockbustery, or something interesting you saw on one of those scenic walks you went on, or SOMETHING, anything with done depth that a girl could see and go hmm, I'd like to know more.

Excellent, thank you kindly. I'll make some changes and perhaps consult here again.

Ormuss on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lucid wrote: »
    Right, and only a couple inches above average U.S. female height. I figure that places me at about the 67th percentile of women.

5'10.5 apparently
    Yup. Let's just say when I look around and see my competition, they're usually taller than I am. Thus, midget status!

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I made a few changes to my profile!

Focused on culling some of the self-deprecation, and adding some more details to some aspects (my job, preferences, personality, and family). I'll get a better picture soon, or at least one with a more interesting backdrop.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Ormuss on