As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An "Invisible" Rapture? Clever Girl

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i just read somewhere that people are thinking of euthanizing their pets in preparation for this rapture

i am so angry i am shaking

Quoth on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    Also this pope or the last pope changed their minds and decided that babies are exempt from purgatory.

So you know Blake Handsome Valdes might get to go to the good life and leave you behind.

That's just what Darth Benedict XVI wants you to think.

Babies has been going to Limbo/Purgatory for 2000 years. God's not going to decide to show those little mutants compassion this late in the game.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You'd think the end of the world would be pretty quick.

But there is a lot of things Jesus needs to do.

Interesting aside:

Psalm 90:4
    A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night.

2 Peter 3:8
    But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

This is why no Christian can ever claim to really have a concrete understanding of the creation account in Genesis, or exactly how old the world is.

kingworks on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is pretty exciting for something I just heard about three days ago.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I remember walking around campus once and this fundamentalist was in the quad talking about how everyone unbaptized deserved to die. A friend of mine I volunteered with was like "what about the kids born in the hospital and die soon after due to an illness?"

The fundamentalist's response: "Those children deserved to die"

whoa, what the hell

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is just proof that despite religion, that despite race, all fundies are dicks.

Blake T on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I remember walking around campus once and this fundamentalist was in the quad talking about how everyone unbaptized deserved to die. A friend of mine I volunteered with was like "what about the kids born in the hospital and die soon after due to an illness?"

The fundamentalist's response: "Those children deserved to die"

I've never seen my friend so angry

I find it quite shocking just how far people like that can miss the point

Solar on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also I don't claim to be the bible guy or anything buy after rapture, isn't the earth handed over to the animals?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    to play the devil's... er, angel's advocate?

if you believe dead babies go to heaven then it's not so bad

but that dude sounds like a dick so

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Quoth wrote: »
    i just read somewhere that people are thinking of euthanizing their pets in preparation for this rapture

i am so angry i am shaking

While I am definitely bummed to know that some people are literally stupid enough to euthanize their pets in preparation for the afterlife, I'm much more concerned with those who decide to murder/suicide before they go.

I hope it doesn't happen, but history tells me that it's probably going to happen somewhere. Some tortured soul is either going to "save" their family from the Rapture by trying to beat them to death with a fireplace poker or gun down an entire room of "sinners" in an attempt rack up enough Righteous Points to punch their free-admission ticket into heaven.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    2 Peter 2 deals specifically with false teachers:
    1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell,[a] putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; 6 if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7 and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless 8 (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)— 9 if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment. 10 This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the flesh[c] and despise authority.

Bold and arrogant, they are not afraid to heap abuse on celestial beings; 11 yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not heap abuse on such beings when bringing judgment on them from[d] the Lord. 12 But these people blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like unreasoning animals, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like animals they too will perish.

13 They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.[e] 14 With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed—an accursed brood! 15 They have left the straight way and wandered off to follow the way of Balaam son of Bezer,[f] who loved the wages of wickedness. 16 But he was rebuked for his wrongdoing by a donkey—an animal without speech—who spoke with a human voice and restrained the prophet’s madness.

17 These people are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. 18 For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of the flesh, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19 They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for “people are slaves to whatever has mastered them.” 20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21 It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. 22 Of them the proverbs are true: “A dog returns to its vomit,”[g] and, “A sow that is washed returns to her wallowing in the mud.”

kingworks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Also I don't claim to be the bible guy or anything buy after rapture, isn't the earth handed over to the animals?

no, according to the millenialist interpretation, the rapture is followed by a seven year apocalypse intended to scare the rest of the unbelievers into believing. following that, there's Armageddon, and then the earth is basically burned to a crisp before God remakes the whole thing and brings the people in heaven down to the new, improved earth.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    tank, that is a very valid point and i wish the people who falsely preach this stuff could go to jail for every one of those deaths

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    kingworks wrote: »
    2 Peter 2 deals specifically with false teachers:
    1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell,[a] putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; 6 if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7 and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless 8 (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)— 9 if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment. 10 This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the flesh[c] and despise authority.

Bold and arrogant, they are not afraid to heap abuse on celestial beings; 11 yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not heap abuse on such beings when bringing judgment on them from[d] the Lord. 12 But these people blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like unreasoning animals, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like animals they too will perish.

13 They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.[e] 14 With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed—an accursed brood! 15 They have left the straight way and wandered off to follow the way of Balaam son of Bezer,[f] who loved the wages of wickedness. 16 But he was rebuked for his wrongdoing by a donkey—an animal without speech—who spoke with a human voice and restrained the prophet’s madness.

17 These people are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. 18 For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of the flesh, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19 They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for “people are slaves to whatever has mastered them.” 20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21 It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. 22 Of them the proverbs are true: “A dog returns to its vomit,”[g] and, “A sow that is washed returns to her wallowing in the mud.”

These kinds of people don't follow the Bible though. Not really. They pick bits which fit their own small-minded bigotry and fanaticism and follow them. Trying to persuade them that actually in the Bible it also says X, Y and Z is a lost cause, sadly.
    tank, that is a very valid point and i wish the people who falsely preach this stuff could go to jail for every one of those deaths

If they were anything but Evangelising Christians then they probably would, which is a great shame.

Solar on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

no, according to the millenialist interpretation, the rapture is followed by a seven year apocalypse intended to scare the rest of the unbelievers into believing. following that, there's Armageddon, and then the earth is basically burned to a crisp before God remakes the whole thing and brings the people in heaven down to the new, improved earth.

This is hilarious because any rational non-believer would be instantly converted the second millions of people evaporated off the face of the earth.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    where are you butss hearing all this about people euthanizing their pets and blowin' their savings

sounds

fishy

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Another aside:

Are you familiar with the Jefferson Bible?

Thomas Jefferson basically chopped up his Bible - the gospels, specifically - and removed everything supernatural: references to angels, prophecies, miracles, etc. Anything he didn't care for.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do this mentally, as well.

kingworks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    the pet euthanasia thing was posted on twitter, where i also learned people are setting up businesses to care for animals left behind, which is a much saner solution

but blowing their savings, that's been in the news, i think i even heard it on NPR

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    man I hope there's not a lot of people actually believing this

I know a ton of Christians and not a single one of them is buying it

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Up here in Southern Alberta its the same thing. Most of the christians I know don't believe a single thing about this May 21st thing and are going to go about the day like any other.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    why should they buy it, the bible specifically says it will happen when no one expects it

anyone who believes it is basically saying they know better than the bible, which is generally a frowned upon position to take

Quoth on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    why should they buy it, the bible specifically says it will happen when no one expects it

anyone who believes it is basically saying they know better than the bible, which is generally a frowned upon position to take

unless you're a New Biblonian like me

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Oh I agree. Which is why I thought the whole thing was ridiculous in the first place. As do we all.

Seriously though some people will believe anything.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    well I mean people are dumb

I even know a couple of people who have said they would vote for Donald Trump if he ran for President

but I don't seem to know anyone dumb enough to buy this

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I honestly believe the Rapture will take place on Saturday

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    opsie dopsie I sure is hot. Help me my legs is on fire. Oh why didn'y listen?:twisted:

Foolproof on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    god dammit

I have been sick for two weeks, and in "mucus everywhere all the time" mode for one week

but today my body is putting out an incredible amount of some of the weirdest-colored shit I've seen

it's the hue of a goddamn blood orange

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On May 21st, I'm going to buy up all the stocks that people sell in a frenzy. Gonna be rich, you guys!

godmode on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    godmode wrote: »
    On May 21st, I'm going to buy up all the stocks that people sell in a frenzy. Gonna be rich, you guys!

what good does it do to gain the world only to lose your soul?

Foolproof on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Foolproof wrote: »

What if god's plan involves you setting up a 401k and putting away some cash for when the earth is remade and the souls of the faithful are returned to the world? It's just good financial planning for your immortal soul.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Depends if you believe in souls, I guess

Solar on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I gave up my soul a long time ago. It was interfering with my ability to lead Black Temple raids.

godmode on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »

I believe that human bodies work sort of like those traps from Ghostbusters except they don't trap ghosts from dead people they trap ghosts from people who have not died yet but have parents who fucked at some time in the past. But I don't call them souls, I call them post fucking parents but predeath ghosts.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »

I believe that human bodies work sort of like those traps from Ghostbusters except they don't trap ghosts from dead people they trap ghosts from people who have not died yet but have parents who fucked at some time in the past. But I don't call them souls, I call them post fucking parents but predeath ghosts.

That's an advanced theological framework right there

Solar on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.npr.org/2011/05/07/136053462/is-the-end-nigh-well-know-soon-enough
    [Adrienne Martinez] thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

And so, her husband adds, "God just made it possible — he opened doors. He allowed us to quit our jobs, and we just moved, and here we are."

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds

sucks to be her 2 kids when they realize that mommy is batshit insane.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Crazy person is crazy

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    it's a good thing she didn't become a doctor at least

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    more like Silver Lining Damascus

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Up here in Southern Alberta its the same thing. Most of the christians I know don't believe a single thing about this May 21st thing and are going to go about the day like any other.

Yeah, this isn't some pan-Christianity thing. This is specific to a particular group of Christians that follow Harold Camping and apparently own a radio station and like putting up billboards. This is the same man who predicted the Rapture was going to take place in 1994 (clearly he was confused by the coming of the Sony Playstation console, not Jesus). When he was wrong about 1994, some of his followers chose to believe the 2011 prediction that he made later while others, I presume, realized he was a false prophet and are following some other crazy sect at the moment.

I'd say the vast majority of Christians are either unaware or just ignoring this guy since he's not really any kind of a religious authority.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish I had faith like that in anything. Just to be happy for a moment.

Hunter on
This discussion has been closed.