As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I rarely play a game with a controller if there is a M&KB option. But the Witcher 2's combat just works better with a controller.

Menus are easier to navigate M&KB, but they are surprisingly not that big of a deal with the controller either.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I disabled the blur and it really helped me with this game, runs better and I don't feel sick when I play.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hmm

so not sure whats wrong

I tried with the uber sampling off, I tried with low, med, high settings and the game always skips

My computer has 12 gigs of ram, nvidia 9800 GTX2, and an i7 3.4ghz

maybe my graphics card is old or something

You're trying to run this game

with a 9800

and you're confused as to why it isn't working

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    hmm

so not sure whats wrong

I tried with the uber sampling off, I tried with low, med, high settings and the game always skips

with a 9800

The game scales extremely well. Apparently runs on an 8800. So yeah, it is a little weird that it isn't working. Driver issue maybe? Screenshot of the graphics options screen might help too.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hmm

so not sure whats wrong

with a 9800

I ran it fine with a 9800GT. Ok some FPS drops near the end. Perfectly playable though.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    hmm

so not sure whats wrong

with a 9800

I ran it fine with a 9800GT. Ok some FPS drops near the end. Perfectly playable though.

Yeah, I can run this game on a 9800 on medium graphics with the texture memory increased (to reduce poping textures) and only suffer from a framerate drop once in a great while.

Then again, I got it through GoG, and a lot of people have been saying that the DRM that the non-GoG versions have is what's really screwing over most peoples' framerate. (considering people running thier games with the Gog exe have mentioned improvements in preformance.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Holy shit this is coming to consoles? Or at least is a sparkle in the eye of console development?

As a poor person without a beefy computer this is good news.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Prohass wrote: »
    Holy shit this is coming to consoles? Or at least is a sparkle in the eye of console development?

As a poor person without a beefy computer this is good news.

How non-beefy is your computer? This game runs on older systems too.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I disabled the blur and it really helped me with this game, runs better and I don't feel sick when I play.

Yeah motion blur is a pain in the arse. Eats up a good bit of the gpu, and it feels sickening to look at.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    The Witcher 2, savior of PC gaming, plays better on a 360 controller.

It doesn't.

No, I'd say it definitely does and all the menus were clearly designed with controller use in mind.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, mind. It's just funny is all.

Yes, they've been designed for the console version, because they're working things out to get the game to consoles.

No, the game does not work better with a controller.

Yeah, I know it's pancake, but except for maybe the radial menu, the menus really don't work better with a controller than the mouse
    I would like the radial menu if it worked like a proper radial menu instead of making you scroll up and down to select signs and bombs/traps. As it stands, I like that menu better with a mouse. Also, being forced into loot all kind of sucks, what with how much junk you pick up and how you have to manually pull it out without a junk filter.

Outside of that stuff (and general menu shit), controllers work really well.
    mwoody wrote: »
    Does Dethmold look like Adam Sessler with eye makeup to anyone else?
    Now I can't unsee it.

Thanks a lot.

(I hate you.)

Monger on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    whats a quick way of making orens in chapter 3? i need 2000 and i only have 58 and i think ive done all the side quests.
    going into the sewers and found some awesome armour but need 2000 orens to make it awesomer

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    whats a quick way of making orens in chapter 3? i need 2000 and i only have 58 and i think ive done all the side quests.
    going into the sewers and found some awesome armour but need 2000 orens to make it awesomer

Well, you could nickle and dime with dice poker, and while you stop finding gargoyles after finishing the contract, the other monsters you can find still respawn, so you could kill them and sell thier parts.

Thats what I did, went down the list and sold any monster parts I had and didn't need untill I had no more than a dozen (in case they're planning an xpac/DLC that starts off where the game ended)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Open the console and cheat like a glorious motherfucker.

Actually I don't know if one can do that. But if possible, do that.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maybe it's bad form to link to other forums but anyone who's concerned about performance should just read the NeoGAF Witcher 2 performance thread. It's pretty good.

Also, entirely new CDP game to be announced and demoed at E3.
    According to email invites sent out, a presentation will be given which will last around 30-45 minutes and will provide ” key facts and a live gameplay demo.”

The firm has confirmed to Eurogamer that it is not The Witcher 2 for consoles, nor is it an expansion pack for the game either.

However, a while ago Eurogamer UK posted word that a Witcher game will be announced as well which may be of interest to the console crowd.

“I can’t say anything obviously for gazillions of reasons but it is a Witcher game, and I can say that console gamers might be interested in it,” explained Witcher 2 senior producer Tomasz Gop.

We sent a mail for a bit of clarification on this, and came away more confused than originally.

According to a PR representative speaking for the firm speaking to VG247: “The Eurogamer.cz story was a bit of a misunderstanding. We aren’t really commenting on what the project is, beyond to say that it’s a game.

“CD Projekt RED will be showing off a new project at the show, and we can’t confirm nor deny any rumors about what it is.”

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hope and pray they make it to consoles and people take to their game in their millions. These guys deserve every ounce of success.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So sites claim this is on the 360/PS3 as well as the PC and yet it's not on Gamefly at all.

Are the sites wrong?

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It most certainly is not currently on consoles. It will be though, probably this year.

Edit: Just listening to the soundtrack and oh my, they got this so right. Music makes or breaks a game for me and tracks like this and this are all win.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Maybe it's bad form to link to other forums but anyone who's concerned about performance should just read the NeoGAF Witcher 2 performance thread. It's pretty good.

Also, entirely new CDP game to be announced and demoed at E3.
    According to email invites sent out, a presentation will be given which will last around 30-45 minutes and will provide ” key facts and a live gameplay demo.”

The firm has confirmed to Eurogamer that it is not The Witcher 2 for consoles, nor is it an expansion pack for the game either.

However, a while ago Eurogamer UK posted word that a Witcher game will be announced as well which may be of interest to the console crowd.

“I can’t say anything obviously for gazillions of reasons but it is a Witcher game, and I can say that console gamers might be interested in it,” explained Witcher 2 senior producer Tomasz Gop.

We sent a mail for a bit of clarification on this, and came away more confused than originally.

According to a PR representative speaking for the firm speaking to VG247: “The Eurogamer.cz story was a bit of a misunderstanding. We aren’t really commenting on what the project is, beyond to say that it’s a game.

“CD Projekt RED will be showing off a new project at the show, and we can’t confirm nor deny any rumors about what it is.”

witcher 1 port on witcher 2 engine.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I hope and pray they make it to consoles and people take to their game in their millions. These guys deserve every ounce of success.

I completely agree with this. RPGs with this level of talent and scope deserve to be mega-hits.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    witcher 1 port on witcher 2 engine.
    Exactly what I expect.

I am comfortable buying the first game a third time.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Don't do that to me Deader, my heart can't take it. I think it will be all new, but we'll see.

I did my bit for CDP - GOG plus CE copies! May their coffers be full to the brim!

I finished it a few days ago and reflecting back, it really is the best RPG i've ever played. I enjoyed it more than BG2 (too obtuse/antiquated), ME2 (too simple), DA:O (too generic), Oblivion/Morrowind (too diffuse), PS:T (too little game), DE (too bland)... This is the direction that i've always wanted RPGs to go and recent examples of the genre started to make me think it was all going to get streamlined to nothing. Really, all I want now is more of the same.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    @Jimmy Marku
    Edit: Just listening to the soundtrack and oh my, they got this so right. Music makes or breaks a game for me and tracks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VIlomWrN90

Prisca on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would totally play Witcher 1 again if the combat wasn't so terrible. I only got through that game by leveling myself to 35 and spamming Ignii.

The better news is that once they finish it and fix all the engine/gameplay quirks of TW2 for the remake, they'll patch up TW2!

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's just such great game music; fits what you're doing perfectly and really helps to build the atmosphere. It reminds me of the Inception soundtrack which I hold in pretty high regard for complementing the action nicely. I also like how they introduced some more modern elements (like the metal stuff in the first one I posted and the plinky-plonky bit in the other one) where appropriate keeping it varied and interesting. All classical fantasy game soundtracks get pretty dull (see DA:O).

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    oh god why do i think ive made the wrong choice here

chapter 3
    so i choose to free eilhart and get the dagger rather then go rescue triss.. i figured i could rescue triss later but the curse on saskia needs to go asap, after i do all that to the entrance to the summit and i think shit, no ill go back, only now the save i had right before that has been quicksaved over and the only autosave i have before that is before i did the money grind for the vran armour and i am not doing that again.

im screwed right

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Don't do that to me Deader, my heart can't take it. I think it will be all new, but we'll see.

I did my bit for CDP - GOG plus CE copies! May their coffers be full to the brim!

I finished it a few days ago and reflecting back, it really is the best RPG i've ever played. I enjoyed it more than BG2 (too obtuse/antiquated), ME2 (too simple), DA:O (too generic), Oblivion/Morrowind (too diffuse), PS:T (too little game), DE (too bland)... This is the direction that i've always wanted RPGs to go and recent examples of the genre started to make me think it was all going to get streamlined to nothing. Really, all I want now is more of the same.

i cant see it being anything other then that, remember they had rise of the white wolf canned because they hated how another company were screwing it up (look at the vids on youtube) and they are very keen on porting over witcher 2, it makes sense to port over witcher 1 first on what looks like a console friendly witcher 2 engine, they really dont have to do a whole lot of work and since they only work on one game at a time it would explain how they have something new to show at e3 so soon.

and i am totally buying it (hopefully its pc released too, but if not i dont care im still buying it like the whore i am)

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I will gladly re-buy an enhanced Enhanced Witcher 1, no matter which platform. CDP has full control over my wallet. Insert Fry picture here.

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    oh and i doubt they will make the graphics witcher 2 like, more then likely they will keep the assests from witcher 1 but touch them up alot so it looks better then ever.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ya know, I'd enjoy the interminable slog through the marsh if I were playing with 2's engine and combat system.

I constantly find excuses to murder more fools. Even when I've just murdered, like, a hundred. And their families.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why wouldn't it be as good as Witcher 2? If they're planning on putting the series on the consoles, then the first Witcher would need to be completely redone to the second's standards in gameplay and even graphics.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    hey who wants an witcher 2 choose flow chart? holy shit.

The_Witcher_2:_Assassins_of_Kings_8.jpg

i havent looked at it in full but there you go.

also i find this picture amusing.
    2wcl7iv.jpg

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's just such great game music; fits what you're doing perfectly and really helps to build the atmosphere. It reminds me of the Inception soundtrack which I hold in pretty high regard for complementing the action nicely. I also like how they introduced some more modern elements (like the metal stuff in the first one I posted and the plinky-plonky bit in the other one) where appropriate keeping it varied and interesting. All classical fantasy game soundtracks get pretty dull (see DA:O).
    Most fantasy games tend to stick to modern symphonic arrangements played with modern symphonic instruments that sound pretty much like every other modern symphonic arrangement played with modern symphonic instruments. You know how every fantasy game looks like the Lord of the Rings movie and all dwarves are now Scottish? It's the sound equivalent of that. DA:O was particularly bad about it because almost every single song in its soundtrack was a rearrangement of the same basic couple of melodies.

The Witcher soundtracks have a lot of atypical instrumentation choices and folk inspiration, which definitely makes them stand out. On top of them just being good goddamn compositions.

Monger on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have serious doubts about how they'll pull off Witcher 3. You make a half dozen major choices that impact the Witcher world, they can't cover all those variables in the next game. It would be madness.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I find it slightly ironic that that pic has the black bars.

Edit: Assuming that the next game is about
    the North/South conflict and Yennifer then the only major difference with the endings is who will contribute to the armies of the North and to what extent. And I doubt that Geralt will be involved in the conflict at the highest level given that he'll probably be travelling in the Empire, so interaction with the characters of TW2 will be minimal.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Heh. That's a good catch. Personally, I didn't even notice the black bars until someone complained about it. It doesn't really bother me.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    I have serious doubts about how they'll pull off Witcher 3. You make a half dozen major choices that impact the Witcher world, they can't cover all those variables in the next game. It would be madness.

Sure they can.
    They'll handle it the same way they did with TW1 -> TW2 decisions. Casually mention them occasionally, have an occasional cameo, and just drown you in awesome shit so that you don't care that the carry-over is minor. I mean, the plot proceeds in a certain direction in TW2 regardless of what decisions you make, so there's a base for them to work from. The characters who live or die will be firmly in cameo territory, which is definitely a shame for some of them.

Or they'll just have TW3 be 3 different games depending on your path in TW2. Considering how they handled Act 2 in TW2, that wouldn't really surprise me either. CDP is crazy. o_O

Evangir on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've lost my Witcher 2 save in reformatting.

Anyone happen to have a save at the end of Chapter 1 (at least, I'm assuming it's the end of the chapter, I'd already fought
    Letho
    ) prior to making the choice between
    Roche and Iorveth?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I've lost my Witcher 2 save in reformatting.

Anyone happen to have a save at the end of Chapter 1 (at least, I'm assuming it's the end of the chapter, I'd already fought
    Letho
    ) prior to making the choice between
    Roche and Iorveth?

I've still got all my saves from my first play-through, so I'll dig around for one for you.

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Derrick wrote: »

Heh. That's a good catch. Personally, I didn't even notice the black bars until someone complained about it. It doesn't really bother me.

I wish I could say the same. I noticed them almost constantly and always felt like I was missing a good chunk of viewing space. I want to see Geralt's legs!

Jimmy Marku on