As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HBO] Game of Thrones - TV only, NO BOOK DISCUSSION

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They actually did that scene because in the pilot a lot of test viewers weren't realizing that Cersei and Jaime were related. So when they re-shot parts of the pilot, they added in a big HEY LOOK THESE GUYS ARE RELATED scene

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    When showing it to my brother, I quizzed him between episodes on the major characters and their alliances/family ties. After the first 3 or so he got into the swing of things, and could follow everything ok. Of course, this strategy only works for nerds.

That's pretty much how The Wire seems to work for most people.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    When showing it to my brother, I quizzed him between episodes on the major characters and their alliances/family ties. After the first 3 or so he got into the swing of things, and could follow everything ok. Of course, this strategy only works for nerds.

Yeah, The Wire took me a while to get used to, and even longer to get everyone's name straight.

The little diagram of the Houses that comes with the GoT DVD can be helpful.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The books are even more fucking confusing with all the houses and the sub-houses and regions and argh my head

I very soon stopped paying attention to the intricacies of lineages and houses, and just cared about the main strokes and characters. It was a pleasant reading experience.

reVerse on
  • Options
    quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular
    CowShark wrote:
    In some distant locale, let's meet Viserys and Daenerys, Illyrio, Jorah, and the Karl.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    They actually did that scene because in the pilot a lot of test viewers weren't realizing that Cersei and Jaime were related. So when they re-shot parts of the pilot, they added in a big HEY LOOK THESE GUYS ARE RELATED scene

It wasn't just test screening - the showrunners showed the original pilot to their friends who hadn't read the books and at the end they were almost all like "Wait, who are these characters having sex and why is it so shocking?"

As they point out in the commentary, some of the added "HEY, IT'S JAIME AND CERSEI! THEY ARE BROTHER AND SISTER!" lines are pretty awkward, but it's better than people scratching their heads at the end.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Finished watching all the commentaries. They were all fun, except sadly Martin's on Episode 8. It was way too much "commentary for the blind" and not much else.

The one with the Stark kids didn't make you want to stab pencils into your ears?

I cut them some slack because they are kids, and they seemed like they were having fun. But it was definitely my second-least-favorite commentary.

Emilia Clarke's was my favorite.
    Robert: "The girl dies."
    Commentary: "Please don't kill me!"

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Finished watching all the commentaries. They were all fun, except sadly Martin's on Episode 8. It was way too much "commentary for the blind" and not much else.

The one with the Stark kids didn't make you want to stab pencils into your ears?

I cut them some slack because they are kids, and they seemed like they were having fun. But it was definitely my second-least-favorite commentary.

Oh my, I can't stop laughing ... I googled Emilia Clarke commentary after reading that and that isn't even the best part if these things on tumblr aren't fake.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The kids' commentary didn't bother me honestly, but I totally get why it would be excruciating to people.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't know how this could be bothersome, more like awesome.

The younger actors sing the theme song (LOL):

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I'm just watching the scene at the beginning of the episode after Littlefinger and the Gold Cloaks
    betray Ned. For whatever reason it reminds me of the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where Sir Lancelot attacks the wedding.

I don't know if I need to spoil that, but better be safe and all.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    That was actually pretty funny, I dunno what you guys are complaining about.

KIDS ACT LIKE KIDS, NEWS AT 11

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Oh my, I can't stop laughing ... I googled Emilia Clarke commentary after reading that and that isn't even the best part if these things on tumblr aren't fake.

Found that tumblr, and yes, those are real.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I thought they were goofy and endearing (and a good contrast to the horrible situations their characters were in onscreen), but like I said, I could see people feeling it's pretty annoying over the course of 50-60 minutes.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Google failed me.

Link please!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I was actually pretty happy to hear them talking like actual kids, instead of creepy tiny hyper-sexualized adults who are trying to promote their careers.

That being said I pretty much totally zoned out from their commentary after about 15 minutes, because it's still a bunch of teenagers blabbing for an hour, Lord save us.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I was actually pretty happy to hear them talking like actual kids, instead of creepy tiny hyper-sexualized adults who are trying to promote their careers.

Or, the also creepy (in a different way) "ultra-serious, world weary 40 year old method actor trapped in an 11 year old's body" like the girl who plays Sally Draper on Mad Men or younger Dakota Fanning.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hmm

Googling Emilia Clarke at work is a bad idea
    dat-ass-meme.jpg

override367 on
  • Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Hmm

Googling Emilia Clarke at work is a good idea.
    dat-ass-meme.jpg

Yup.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

Or, the also creepy (in a different way) "ultra-serious, world weary 40 year old method actor trapped in an 11 year old's body" like the girl who plays Sally Draper on Mad Men or younger Dakota Fanning.

Haha is this really a thing she does on the commentary tracks? Which season? I have to hear this. My wife and I always laugh about how much we hate her and how she's probably a total bitch in real life even though she's like 10.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Allforce wrote: »

Haha is this really a thing she does on the commentary tracks? Which season? I have to hear this. My wife and I always laugh about how much we hate her and how she's probably a total bitch in real life even though she's like 10.

I can't remember the specific episode names. I'm pretty sure she's been on two episodes - one on S3 and one on S4.

To be a bit fair to her, she is a bit pushed into being serious and "grown-up" in the commentaries - at one point, she's asked if she's "method" and drew from personal experience for some scene, and she just kinda goes "yes, I was being method". I don't know if she's actually "method" or totally comprehends what it even means. But still, she does come across as ultra-serious about everything.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Yeah, everyone talks up The Wire so much and so my friends and I started watching it, and it actually took us a long time to get a grasp of things.

Almost done with season 3 and it's easy to understand why so many people love the series so much, and the first season (which I went back and rewatched) is just as good, it's just there's a whole lot of subtlety which is COMPLETELY overlooked until you're familiar with the characters.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It helps to read something like Sepinwall's reviews/recaps when watching The Wire for the first time. He has newbie versions for the first few seasons and it helped me get up to speed withing three or four episodes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    New trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVSchaagNg&feature=player_embedded

Glorious Tyrion moment at about 1:19 but you have to watch closely to catch it

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    OH I SAW IT! NEW .GIF INCOMING!

• Options
    They know what GoT fans want!

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    To me, that seemed to throw askew the entire pacing of the storytelling, which in the book was very deliberate in it's lead up to the 'big reveal'. It's not a huge deal I guess, but it really felt like unnecessary spoon-feeding. Maybe if I go back and watch the episode with commentary, someone will explain why that change was made.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions if I were you, have you read all of the books?

Yeah, I've read all the books. I'm not saying that, in the books, the mystery was all that difficult to figure out if you were trying, but I am saying was given up was directly connecting the two of them with Jon Arryn's demise right out of the gate.

See, this is exactly what I thought was the case. It's been while since I read the book, but I think a more thorough introduction of the royal family would have been in order upon their arrival at Winterfell. Tommen and Myrcella aren't even mentioned, though they do show up on camera a couple times, so just bringing them all out and announcing them somehow would have gone a long way. Really though, this is just me armchair quarterbacking, and I don't mean to sound overly-critical of the show. It's been really good so far!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    OH I SAW IT! NEW .GIF INCOMING!

I just got through that part of the book today, and I hoped, deep in my cockles, that they would commit it to film.

AND THEY FUCKING DID!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    To me, that seemed to throw askew the entire pacing of the storytelling, which in the book was very deliberate in it's lead up to the 'big reveal'. It's not a huge deal I guess, but it really felt like unnecessary spoon-feeding. Maybe if I go back and watch the episode with commentary, someone will explain why that change was made.

Yeah, I've read all the books. I'm not saying that, in the books, the mystery was all that difficult to figure out if you were trying, but I am saying was given up was directly connecting the two of them with Jon Arryn's demise right out of the gate.

Mega Big Book Spoilers - Like only if you've read them all.
    But they had nothing to do with Jon Arryn's death. It's a massive misdirect.

Schadenfreude on
    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Jesus Christ do not read that spoiler unless you're quite far along in the books. Like latter third of the currently released books.

Quit putting book spoilers in the show thread. Or at least label them appropriately.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

Honestly, they never come out and say that they did it. They just imply, if I recall. And as the season progresses, you get the feeling that anyone could have done it. Everyone seemed to know what Jon Arryn was up to, and none of them seemed to want him to succeed, as evidenced by the fact that they didn't support Ned in the end.

Note that I haven't read the books, but they definitely seem to cloud up the matter pretty decently.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    WHERE IS MY NEW GIF

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

I can't remember the specific episode names. I'm pretty sure she's been on two episodes - one on S3 and one on S4.

To be a bit fair to her, she is a bit pushed into being serious and "grown-up" in the commentaries - at one point, she's asked if she's "method" and drew from personal experience for some scene, and she just kinda goes "yes, I was being method". I don't know if she's actually "method" or totally comprehends what it even means. But still, she does come across as ultra-serious about everything.

Not always:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLWH1HgqClc

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

link!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    So It Goes wrote: »

link!

*sighs* I swear to gawd, don't click on this unless you don't care if shit gets spoiled for you like me:
    I'm serious, if you accidentally clicked away and just want to hear the commentary straight up or haven't watched yet, don't click this.
    But otherwise, enjoy, there should be two (edit: oops, make that three, one doesn't have pics with it though) there with pictures accompanying it. Maybe there is more, I didn't look too deep and they had me busting a gut laughing.
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/emilia-clarke?before=1331506318

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Oh wow Emilia Clarke is way hot as a brunette.

Also, now I want to hear the commentary...

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    NEVER STOP

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

link!

*sighs* I swear to gawd, don't click on this unless you don't care if shit gets spoiled for you like me:
    I'm serious, if you accidentally clicked away and just want to hear the commentary straight up or haven't watched yet, don't click this.
    But otherwise, enjoy, there should be two (edit: oops, make that three, one doesn't have pics with it though) there with pictures accompanying it. Maybe there is more, I didn't look too deep and they had me busting a gut laughing.
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/emilia-clarke?before=1331506318

tumblr_m0o157Rh1G1qi532yo2_r1_250.gif

I can't find GOT bluray anywhere, gonna have to order it on amazon or something

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I liked these two explaining the heart:
    tumblr_m0p5izbCVq1qi532yo1_500.gif
    tumblr_m0p5izbCVq1qi532yo3_250.gif

emp123 on
This discussion has been closed.