As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Annual Barcrawl Suggestion - Game of Thrones

AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
*TO BE CLEAR AND AVOID ANY CONFUSION THIS IS A SUGGESTION THREAD AND NOT AN OFFICIALLY ORGANIZED EVENT (yet)*

Drinking Game of Thrones
Lannister,%20Tyrion%201x09-02_595.jpg

Over the last several years we've managed to put on one of the largest barcrawls in Seattle and it's something I look forward to each year as an essential part of my PAX experience! There's nothing quite like romping through Cap Hill in Wizard caps and gowns chanting and singing. :whistle:

However, I feel something of this awesomeness has begun to outgrow it's previous Harry Potter ensemble, with Houses filling close to or over 100 last year. Trying to cram 100+ people through 1 bar 1 hour can be a real drag at times. There needs to be a way to expand the crawl into more organized groups of smaller numbers; we would really take over the hill.

EDIT: The 2011 4th Annual Tri-wizard Drinking Tournament is a go so no changes this year on that crawl.

I think Game of Thrones would be a perfect new theme to take a crawl! It gives us several more houses to expand into with all the diversity and charisma of our beloved Harry Potter houses. Oh and it's awesome. I mean you've seen the show right? If not, you need to go change that right now!

For Houses I was thinking
  • Stark
  • Lannister
  • Baratheon
  • Greyjoy
  • Tully
  • Arryn
  • Targaryen
  • The Night's Watch
Each would have their own Lord and/or Lady and any other fun titles. We could even crown a House King of the Seven Kingdoms for raising the most money for Child's Play.

Well I think this is a great idea and I want to know if there's any support in it. Let me know what you think or even which house you'd choose!

PAX is coming.

If you want to know more about the houses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_houses_in_A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

This is Quiz to see which house you belong in, it's not the best, but it's something.
http://www.gotoquiz.com/in_which_game_of_thrones_house_do_you_belong_1

PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
Accalon on

• Options
    NeelixNeelix Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like how you posted a pic of yourself in your Tyrion Lannister costume, Ryan.

Ser Seadub Knightfalcon, bannerman of the House of Arryn and the Vale, is in!

Neelix on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I, Liger, of the house Targaryen will be in attendance! Although I may be a bit late. My steel horse fears the waters between work and downtown.

EDIT:
    Neelix wrote: »
    I like how you posted a pic of yourself in your Tyrion Lannister costume, Ryan
    LMAO

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I, Shaddz of the Night Watch (I really have no idea what the Night Watch is yet, I've only just finished the first episode) wish to partake in the night's shenanigans!

I hope I'm not in a BAD house... I would've hated to be in Slytherin!

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    CatBoyCatBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the "campers" have to claim "the Nights Watch" for we are the keepers who watch over *bar is up in the air for we don't know which one will be"the wall"*.

CatBoy on
    <+Djiem|HKO> Woah
    <+Djiem|HKO> Hello Kitty is brutal
    <+Djiem|HKO> A starfish just raped my ass
    <+Gilles> you deserved it
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    CatBoy wrote: »
    the "campers" have to claim "the Nights Watch" for we are the keepers who watch over *bar is up in the air for we don't know which one will be"the wall"*.

No, sorry. The Canadians are the Night's Watch...or perhaps we're the Wildlings? Because we live in the frozen north beyond the wall.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd go with Targaryen and put hubby (Maetrix) in Stark.

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    IDEA!!! Anyone who shows up to PAX the next day with a hangover has to say they got a crown of gold.

Liger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Have a designated bar for Castle Black from which brothers of the Night's Watch could not leave. If they're found abandoning their post at another bar they have to take an "execution" shot.

Accalon on

• Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Accalon wrote: »
    Have a designated bar for Castle Black from which brothers of the Night's Watch could not leave. If they're found abandoning their post at another bar they have to take an "execution" shot.

Alternatively, the Night's Watch are the people who are accompanying the crawl but not drinking.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    tr0tsky wrote: »

Alternatively, the Night's Watch are the people who are accompanying the crawl but not drinking.

OR members of the Night's Watch can be sent to other bars with neighboring kingdoms to recruit new members.

Liger on
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Actually I think Tr0tsky has something there, Liger.

Make the designated sober people the "Night Watch", and they get a cool badge as a thank you.

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shaddz wrote: »
    Actually I think Tr0tsky has something there, Liger.

Make the designated sober people the "Night Watch", and they get a cool badge as a thank you.

They are good at dealing with the undead, which describes most of the people near the end of the crawl.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like it. Night Watch, protecting us all from The Others.

Liger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Wouldn't each house have the equivalent of the Kingsguard who protect their Lords and citizens?

Accalon on

• Options
    ProjektSoulProjektSoul Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like a fun idea! Still debating on a house as I watch more of the series, but I'm leaning more and more towards House Tully. "Family, Duty, Honor" :D

ProjektSoul on

TheProjektSoul.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    not commenting on the main idea itself, but as far as the size goes, there was success for the East crawl by simply splitting up each team into two 50 person groups to create the 8 groups you speak of, so it's not like the 4 houses for HP is an actual limitation on organization.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does this mean its not going to be the 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament? =(

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fear not, that is in the works right now as we speak.

This is just a mere suggestion for next year's Prime and there after.

Ilyea of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, has spoken. :P

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are you volunteering to host and organize this? Have you spoken to Atlus?

Heleor on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A Lannister always finishes his drink.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BinkleyBinkley Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Night Watch should totally be the muggles / non-drinkers!

I do think this is a dynamite idea though, and you can have hilarious quotes like "A Lannister always pays his tab" and "The things I do for *insert alcohol/drink here*."

Yeah I think I gotta roll House Lannister. Jaime is totally the Char/Graham of the Game of Thrones Universe!

Binkley on
    A video blog about random jank:
    The KB Life
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    However, I feel something of this awesomeness has begun to outgrow it's previous Harry Potter ensemble, with Houses filling close to or over 100 last year. Trying to cram 100+ people through 1 bar 1 hour can be a real drag at times. There needs to be a way to expand the crawl into more organized groups of smaller numbers; we would really take over the hill.
    For this year's Triwizard, why not split each house into grades? The heavyweight drinkers could roll in one group (seniors, or whatever the Harry Potter universe calls it) and then have the lighter drinkers roll in another group?

I dunno, just an idea.

I'll have to take that quiz later, I don't watch TV so I have no idea who any of these houses are.
    (Before anyone mentions the books: I'm balls deep in WH40k books to read so GoT is waaaaaaay on the backburner)
    EDIT: According to the quiz I'm in House Targaryen. Whatever, as long as it's a match for all that Slytherin dominance from last year then I'm good to go!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This all looks interesting to me, and I have always wanted to read those books as well.
    Question is, do I need to know all the lore etc. to participate? Because I have no problem reading the books before PAX.

I am newer to the community and PAX and just want to be in everything as much as possible.

The quiz said I am House Stark. Seems fitting to me!

afipanic on
    Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • Options
    SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aw, and I was sooo looking forward to hitting up the new Harry Potter area at Universal Studios to stock up on bar crawl stuff!!!

Oh well, I took the quiz and it says I belong in House Stark so sign me up!

Winter is Coming... and it wants to get DRUNK!

Sageheart on
    Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think this is causing some serious confusion from what I can tell.

This thread is NOT this year's barcrawl thread, it is merely a suggestion thread for barcrawls.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think this is causing some serious confusion from what I can tell.

This thread is NOT this year's barcrawl thread, it is merely a suggestion thread for barcrawls.

Perhaps a thread title change would help? Since it's merely a suggestion thread, then I'd like to kinda push my idea of just splitting each house into two drinking grades.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Let's put this to bed right now.

This year's bar crawl theme is The Fourth Annual Triwizard Tournament

This thread was made without consulting me at all and now you see the harm as people are getting confused.

Two months before PAX is not the time to suggest a theme change. People have already been hard at work preparing for this year's bar crawl. And in the event the theme changed I can guarantee you that it would not be Game of Thrones.
    zerzhul wrote:
    not commenting on the main idea itself, but as far as the size goes, there was success for the East crawl by simply splitting up each team into two 50 person groups to create the 8 groups you speak of, so it's not like the 4 houses for HP is an actual limitation on organization.

This right here. Plans have been in place since the last Triwizard ended to better handle the crowds. These changes were implemented at this year's Pokecrawl and worked beautifully.

In summation, this year's theme is not changing. The time for this discussion is after the bar crawl. Expect actual information within the next week or so as I continue to get my ducks in a row.

Go Gryffindor!

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    stuff

Fantastic news. Should this thread go ahead and get locked then?
    Go Gryffindor!
    Not on my watch!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Yeah to avoid confusion it's probably for the best.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Because of apparent outcry on twitter, I'm unlocking this thread now. If anybody has any problems with that, too bad.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Thank you Moe.

Atlas, you've always put on a great and well organized event. This was a suggestion and I'm disappointed you reacted so negatively.

Everyone else!! I've liked the ideas I've heard so far and apparently this has SOME support so let's not try and silence the citizens of PAX just yet.

PAX is coming.

Accalon on

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    first..

I actually really like the GoT idea. However, I really do think that a suggestions discussion should wait until after pax.

At this point atlus & his gnomes will have the planing well underway for the crawl, and things like button designs could already be done.

Offtopic: every tweet about pax until pax is here should be #paxiscoming

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    One of the key advantages things like HP and Pokemon have as themes is very widespread appeal and knowledge. I could very well be wrong, but I think there are still a large number of people that probably don't even know what GoT *is* (regardless of like or dislike). It's also possible that something doesn't need to be so iconic to be a successful theme for a large event, but it's something to consider... maybe as a point of "timing" given that it's fairly new as far as potential reach goes.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Offtopic: every tweet about pax until pax is here should be #paxiscoming

^5

zerzhul on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Suggestion then: Either A) let this thread die and re-post after PAX Prime this year, or B) change this thread into a poll for suggestions on what next years PAX Drinking Tournament should be (Game of Thrones, Pokémon, Harry Potter, DC/Marvel, Rocko's Modern Life, ... ?)

At the very least, maybe the thread title should be Annual Barcrawl Suggestion 2012 - ****. Just to avoid possible confusion (don't see how this thread was confusing, except at a quick glance).

E: Apparently I spel gud.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have never watched Game of Thrones, but from the picture I'm guessing I can bring a nerf sword and fit, which sounds good to me.

Subnote: As much fun as I've had at Triwizard (which is a lot, mind you), it is does not have a patent on drinking at PAX. If someone wants to go off boozing with another group, well, that's what they'll do. There wouldn't have been any confusion about this replacing the Triwizard if people had read the OP thoroughly.

EDIT: I realize it is a thread about changing the theme of Triwizard, just seems like people are freaking out about going up against the Triwizard Gods. :P

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Atlas, you've always put on a great and well organized event. This was a suggestion and I'm disappointed you reacted so negatively.

I'd still like to know how having a thread locked that is causing actual confusion is a negative reaction.
    SmallLady wrote:
    first..

I actually really like the GoT idea. However, I really do think that a suggestions discussion should wait until after pax.

At this point atlus & his gnomes will have the planing well underway for the crawl, and things like button designs could already be done.

This. I don't just put things together overnight. Planning for the next bar crawl actually starts day after the current one ends. So the time for feedback is then. Not two months prior to the next one happening.
    zerzhul wrote:
    One of the key advantages things like HP and Pokemon have as themes is very widespread appeal and knowledge. I could very well be wrong, but I think there are still a large number of people that probably don't even know what GoT *is* (regardless of like or dislike). It's also possible that something doesn't need to be so iconic to be a successful theme for a large event, but it's something to consider... maybe as a point of "timing" given that it's fairly new as far as potential reach goes.

And this. At this point GoT is nowhere near as prolific as any other nerd friendly franchise. Unless it manages to blow up in a big way it won't be ingrained in our culture the way Harry Potter, Pokemon, Transformers, Lord of the Rings, etc are. Again I ask, why was no one asking for a GoT theme before it was turned into a TV series? Where was the interest then?

eye-shuh wrote:
    I have never watched Game of Thrones, but from the picture I'm guessing I can bring a nerf sword and fit, which sounds good to me.

Subnote: As much fun as I've had at Triwizard (which is a lot, mind you), it is does not have a patent on drinking at PAX. If someone wants to go off boozing with another group, well, that's what they'll do. There wouldn't have been any confusion about this replacing the Triwizard if people had read the OP thoroughly.

EDIT: I realize it is a thread about changing the theme of Triwizard, just seems like people are freaking out about going up against the Triwizard Gods.

And people are free to make decisions accordingly. I'm not stopping anyone from running off and playing Son of Barad-Gur. Funny choice of words in your edit btw.

Edit: Apparently there is no longer a :roll: emoticon.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I did kind of like the idea, but I do already have my "costume" for TWDT ;)

That said, if this ever comes about my group and I will be "taking the Black," as we're from Alaska and the Wall is as North as it gets ;) (well...)

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    At the very least, maybe the thread title should be Annual Barcrawl Sussgestion 2012 - ****. Just to avoid possible confusion (don't see how this thread was confusing, except at a quick glance).

I think this is a good idea, and as soon as the Official Tri-Wiz thread goes up there won't be any issues.

If this is something we want to do this year, would there be interest in doing another crawl somewhere else or should we shoot for 2012?

Accalon on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    I'd still like to know how having a thread locked that is causing actual confusion is a negative reaction.

Because locking a thread is not the solution, as is obvious at this point.
    Again I ask, why was no one asking for a GoT theme before it was turned into a TV series? Where was the interest then?

This is true. So what? Season 1 on HBO has been a huge success with several seasons to come. It's fresh and new with boundless potential. I don't see how that makes it exempt for discussion as an option either as a new theme for the crawl, or a new crawl in and of itself.

Accalon on