As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn your books! [eReaders] are here!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Personally, I recommend the nook simple touch, it's a pretty great little device.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    How good are the Sonys?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So we all talk about the devices, but what about the books themselves. Are ebooks any more feasible in 2012 than they have been in the past? I remember when they were first unveiled and ebooks were quite a few bucks cheaper than paperbacks, but since the iPad and Jobs came along, they are now it seems only a few bucks, to even in some cases, being more than a trade paperback. Sorry but that's a little bullshit in my mind.

So tell me oh, great ereader thread, what have I been missing or what should I do to ensure a potential ebook in my future is a successful one?

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    So we all talk about the devices, but what about the books themselves. Are ebooks any more feasible in 2012 than they have been in the past? I remember when they were first unveiled and ebooks were quite a few bucks cheaper than paperbacks, but since the iPad and Jobs came along, they are now it seems only a few bucks, to even in some cases, being more than a trade paperback. Sorry but that's a little bullshit in my mind.

So tell me oh, great ereader thread, what have I been missing or what should I do to ensure a potential ebook in my future is a successful one?

I am completely willing to pay for convenience and ebooks are dammed convenient. My kindle is lighter and smaller than even a paperback book. I can carry hundreds of books at all times. I can read one handed with ease. I don't know about the nook store but I have found dozens of self published titles in my prefered genera that were free or dirt cheap that were well worth the read. Shit, Ive become a devoted fan of a few of those authors waiting impatiently for their next book to come out. If I finish a book at midnight and NEED to know what happens next I just turn on my wifi and get the next book. My local library district has a decent ebook selection so I can borrow books in my jammies from my computer and I don't have to worry about late fees as they return themselves. My husband and I share an Amazon account so we can buy one book and read it at the same time with no hassles.

Ok. I really fucking love my Kindle, can you tell? I don't like that I can't loan out books at will anymore since 95% of my library is now digital. And I guess it could be possible to run out of batteries if for some reason you find yourself without power for an extended time. But for me the pros far outweigh the cons.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Convenience aside, just like games and movies, the digital age has mostly failed to lower the prices despite the fact it should. But demand seems to bear it, so you'll have to accept it. But there are lots of free books out there too. Otherwise, just hope the publishers doesn't delay the ebook version of a book in an effort to get you to buy the hard cover and other such bullshit antics.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Well, Apple basically bribing the book companies to increase the prices didn't help

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    A bunch of the books I've purchased recently have been about 50-60% of the price of paperback. So there are books that are cheaper in electronic form than physical. The convenience is incredible though. I just wish B&N allowed me to "buy" free books from their store without inputting a credit card.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    It's old and clunky by now, but my old Kobo has been a very durable device.

For the love of God, do not buy a Kobo Touch. After a year of having a love-hate relationship with it, I almost threw it at a wall the other day. The hardware is terrific. Best of all three generations of Kobo (I've owned all three). But the software has just been slow and buggy as hell. The software was bad enough to screw up their Japanese launch a couple of weeks back.

As examples, between two particularly bad software updates, including the latest public one, my Kobo has had to do nine factory resets. Some I did, some it did all by itself. And it's not just one unit, either. I've had two Touches with these issues, as did my partner's. A look in MobileRead will also bring up some bad stories.

I just got a refurbed Nook STR from a local seller (screw your lack of non-North American options, B&N), and I love it. Faster page turns, shelves actually work, plus I can root it and have my Android apps on there. Plus EPUB. All my books are EPUBs (otherwise I would've just bought a Kindle from work).

• Options
    You can read EPUB on Kindle just be installing another reader app.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Yeah, I'd read a little into that, but a) $60 difference, and b) I now have access to my shopping list, a decent browser and Google Maps from my ereader. Which is great for when I'm in bed and too lazy to pull my phone off the charger. Not to mention I can probably get a CBR/Z reader for my Nook through the Play Store (comic book reading being one of the Kobo Touch's cooler features for me).

Also, book covers in the library. I sell Kindles every day at work (even easier now given our closest competitors mostly advertise Kobos), and the lack of covers saddens me somewhat every damn time. (Unless I'm missing something, which I might be.)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Books have covers, though oddly sometimes for some reason mine doesn't display them. Don't know why.

Edit: It occurs to me I should probably mention this a Fire...oops. Which I use primarily as an eReader, but probably doesn't apply to most people.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Yeah, I'd read a little into that, but a) $60 difference, and b) I now have access to my shopping list, a decent browser and Google Maps from my ereader. Which is great for when I'm in bed and too lazy to pull my phone off the charger. Not to mention I can probably get a CBR/Z reader for my Nook through the Play Store (comic book reading being one of the Kobo Touch's cooler features for me).

Also, book covers in the library. I sell Kindles every day at work (even easier now given our closest competitors mostly advertise Kobos), and the lack of covers saddens me somewhat every damn time. (Unless I'm missing something, which I might be.)

I thought non ad supported kindles did show covers?

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So guys, I don't mind pay more for a device that has a better feel or better interface. I think I want a backlit screen on my ereader because I can't stand lights on at night unless it is from my devices which glow on their own.

Pretty much leaves me with the Kindle Fire vs the iPad.

• Options
    Go to B&N and give the lighted eink nook a look

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »

There might be some setting somewhere, but not by default. I'm in Australia, and we only have non-SO Kindles.

• Options

So guys, I don't mind pay more for a device that has a better feel or better interface. I think I want a backlit screen on my ereader because I can't stand lights on at night unless it is from my devices which glow on their own.

Kindle should be coming out with a front lit e-ink kindle any day now. Also, there are supposed to be new Kindle Fires announced sometime between now and December.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Cyvros wrote: »

There might be some setting somewhere, but not by default. I'm in Australia, and we only have non-SO Kindles.

As far as I know Kindles do not currently show book covers. I've heard rumors that they may incorporate them, but I've not seen anything official on the subject. The Kindle Fire will display book covers in the carousel but you can't make them screensavers on that device either.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the info, @Elin.

I like still having the graphic element of covers in my ereader library. Makes it feel less like text files and more like books for me. Plus I like tracking down alternative covers and fiddling with my EPUBs and changing it to the same cover my pbook has, or whichever edition's artwork is my favourite. My first three readers were all Kobos, so I'm used to the covers, and particularly having the cover as the screensaver instead of random imagery (I was a little annoyed at my Nook till I realised I could add my own screensavers. I went nuts.).

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I wish I could change the screensaver on my Pandigital Novel, but I haven't found a "how to" yet since it's not really a mainstream device. Not terrible, but it would be cool to show the cover of whatever book I'm reading rather than the pattern or whatever else it shows while it's sleeping or off.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Theoretically, if a man were to purchase a Kindle for reading...wat do?
    I'd love a Keyboard, but it's twice as much as a base Kindle. So I'm pretty much debating between a Kindle or a Touch.
    Anyone have reasons why they love or hate one or the other?

I thought someone mentioned that they've only used the keyboard on their Kindle a handful of times (physical or touch), which makes it sound rather unnecessary. But I'm also concerned for when I want to find a book or do any kind of typing that the touch keyboard (however good/bad it may be) is going to be massively easier than navigating a keyboard with a dpad.
    It's also hard to tell on Amazon's photos, but does the Touch not have physical page turn keys (swipe only)?

I'm still checking Craigslist for good deals, but I've heard only rave reviews of Amazon's customer service and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get much help on a second-hand Kindle, so I'm a little hesitant on that front.

Any help is appreciated!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The touch keyboard is actually pretty decent.

The Kindle Touch does rely on only swiping for page turning. It does not have physical page turn buttons. The Nook Touch does have physical page turn buttons in addition to swiping, though.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    No page-turn buttons, but you don't have to swipe. You can tap somewhere in about 80% of the screen to go forward, or in the leftmost 20% to go back. Upper little section gives you access to the menus. I thought I would miss buttons, but I find that just tapping the screen with my thumb works just as well.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Thanks, guys!

So is the Touch considered almost unilaterally a better device (not counting hardcore touch/no-touch people)?
    Longer battery life, more storage (like I'm going to have 1k books anyway...), a few more features (X-ray and the like) and a keyboard when you need it.
    So far it's sounding like it's worth the extra $20 to me.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    Thanks, guys!

So is the Touch considered almost unilaterally a better device (not counting hardcore touch/no-touch people)?
    Longer battery life, more storage (like I'm going to have 1k books anyway...), a few more features (X-ray and the like) and a keyboard when you need it.

Pretty much, yeah.

• Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    Thanks, guys!

It's going to vary from person to person. My wife and I upgraded when this fourth generation of Kindles came out. She got the Kindle and I got the Kindle Touch. I tried liking the device, I really did, but I fucking hate relying on touching the screen every single damn time I want to turn the page. It's a pain in the ass to read when holding it one handed, and it's goddamn impossible when reading one handed with your left hand.

In the end, I ended up selling it and downgrading to the Kindle instead. The physical page turn buttons are significantly more beneficial to me than the dpad is a hindrance, and I've been much happier ever since.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    anyone hear any new rumors about the possible launch of the 5th gen kindles with front-lighting?
    all the old rumors were saying a July 31st launch, but that came and gone, and I haven't heard much since.

Been wanting to upgrade my 2nd gen as the screen has a few scratches, but I really like the idea of a built in light.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    It is kinda limited, but the keyboard kindle does have 'free' 3g

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

So does my Kindle Touch? I think I maybe paid a bit extra ($10?) upfront, but there's no charge for data or anything like that. Granted, though, I think you can only use it to browse/download books, same with the Keyboard version?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

So does my Kindle Touch? I think I maybe paid a bit extra ($10?) upfront, but there's no charge for data or anything like that. Granted, though, I think you can only use it to browse/download books, same with the Keyboard version?

The Kindle Keyboard 3G gives you full internet access through its (basic) browser for free over 3G. You're limited to about 50MB a month, but Kindle Store browsing and downloading is unlimited, IIRC.

• Options
    I haven't heard anything about data limits, though it's pretty hard to use that much data when you run it in text only mode anyway. Since pictures make it take forever to load anything

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to get a Kindle Fire now that the Nexus 7 is out.

Same price, same form factor, much, much better piece of hardware.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    Yeah, until the Kindle Fire line is updated, there is zero reason to buy one.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Also I may have not been clear earlier when I was trashing the Fire

Buy a Nexus 7

edit: (Unless you have enough money that the couple hundred bucks more isn't a big deal, in which case an ipad is super great)

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to get a Kindle Fire now that the Nexus 7 is out.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if we were to list the differences between the two, the nexus 7 obviously has a kindle app. But does it have the amazon on demand video?

I mean the nexus is better technology, but if that is important to someone....

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Dudes, do you have any recommendation for a case/cover for the Kindle Fire?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if we were to list the differences between the two, the nexus 7 obviously has a kindle app. But does it have the amazon on demand video?

I mean the nexus is better technology, but if that is important to someone....

Not the app, but I am pretty sure you can view it in-browser.

Other advantage being all the other bookstore apps in addition to the kindle app. Also access to a much more expanded version of the google play library. The Kindle Fire library is severely gimped.

Not positive about the browser thing though, I have no experience with the amazon video stuff