As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim]: Its actually Oblivion 2, in fact, its probably just Fallout with swords.

• Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yep I think that was it because it works now (changed distant static). Everything looks so amazing! Thanks for the help. Morrowind is ready to be enjoyed :).

Jimpy on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Okay, I'm late to the party.

Skyrim looks very nice and I hunger for an engaging open-world medieval fantasy RPG. However, I loathed the leveling system in Oblivion. Is there word on how you get experience in Skyrim? Will I want to avoid using my chosen skills?
    There's no classes, major/minor skills, birthsigns, or attributes. At character creation, the only things you choose are race, gender, and appearance. After that, all you have are a single skill list and three stats: health, magic, and stamina. Since there's no major/minor skills, all your skills contribute to level ups, and how much a given skill contributes to your next level is proportional to how high it is. Your highest level skills contribute the most to leveling. Your lowest level skills contribute the least.

At level up, you will have some number of stat points to distribute to increase your health, magic, and stamina, and you get a Fallout-style perk. The perks are kind of like sub-talent trees that exist inside your skills. So within destruction, you have a perk for more fire damage, one for more cold damage, one for more shock damage, etc. Inside your one-handed skill, you have a perk for enhancing daggers for backstabs, one for adding crit chance to longswords, one for adding bleeding effects to axes, one for adding armor penetration to maces, and that kind of thing. The perks are intended to be the thing that defines your character in the way that classes did before. It's just that you choose them as you play instead of before you start.

World scaling works like Fallout 3 rather than Oblivion.

Monger on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Monger wrote: »

Skyrim looks very nice and I hunger for an engaging open-world medieval fantasy RPG. However, I loathed the leveling system in Oblivion. Is there word on how you get experience in Skyrim? Will I want to avoid using my chosen skills?
    There's no classes, major/minor skills, birthsigns, or attributes. At character creation, the only things you choose are race, gender, and appearance. After that, all you have are a single skill list and three stats: health, magic, and stamina. Since there's no major/minor skills, all your skills contribute to level ups, and how much a given skill contributes to your next level is proportional to how high it is. Your highest level skills contribute the most to leveling. Your lowest level skills contribute the least.

At level up, you will have some number of stat points to distribute to increase your health, magic, and stamina, and you get a Fallout-style perk. The perks are kind of like sub-talent trees that exist inside your skills. So within destruction, you have a perk for more fire damage, one for more cold damage, one for more shock damage, etc. Inside your one-handed skill, you have a perk for enhancing daggers for backstabs, one for adding crit chance to longswords, one for adding bleeding effects to axes, one for adding armor penetration to maces, and that kind of thing. The perks are intended to be the thing that defines your character in the way that classes did before. It's just that you choose them as you play instead of before you start.

I've understood the perk system as you unlock more perks to choose from as your skill level goes up. Is this right or am I horribly wrong? Or is it even that you have to unlock them in a tree/chain like sequence?

Topia on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Okay, that sounds fucking awesome. C'mooon Skyrim!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Monger wrote: »

I really thought they said birthsigns will still be in.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As far as I know, the only place the birthsigns appear is the skill menu, as the visualization of your perks. Or something to that effect.

If they're still around elsewhere, that'd be cool, though.

Monger on
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    About modding Morrowind, I've tried to install the Brorrowind update package, but both MGEgui and the Morrowind Code Patch.exe don't seem to work. the patch opens and closes with half a second, and MGE stops working before it opens. This is with the Steam version, if that's making a difference.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Heir wrote: »
    I really thought they said birthsigns will still be in.

I think birth signs are picked from rocks or something, so you don't pick one at the start but they are still in the game.

eEK! on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hellbore wrote: »
    About modding Morrowind, I've tried to install the Brorrowind update package, but both MGEgui and the Morrowind Code Patch.exe don't seem to work. the patch opens and closes with half a second, and MGE stops working before it opens. This is with the Steam version, if that's making a difference.
    I remember having issues with that when I installed Brorrowind. IIRC, it's a registry issue. If Morrowind doesn't have the proper privileges when it runs the first time, the registry entry it makes points to the wrong place. There's guide to fixing it here.
    I just installed Morrowind today, along with the code patch, patch project, and MGE 3.8.2 revision 178.

I could not get MGE to run, kept complaining about the registry.
    3.80 works, because it knows where to look, but 3.82 isn't as smart.

The problem is that when having UAC activated Morrowind will create the registry entries in another place (since it has no administrator rights)
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MA CHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks]

MGE 3.8.2 will not search there.

To create the registry entries in the proper place Morrowind needs to be started with UAC disabled.

The proper place is
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks]

And when I say disabled I really mean disabled, run as administrator will not work (at least it didn't for me). AND, you need to restart the PC or Morrowind.exe will continue to create the registry entries in the wrong place.

So basically if you get "Unable to find Morrowind registry keys. Please run the game before installing MGE", you need to:

1. disable UAC (user account control)
    2. run regedit and delete the folder [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MA CHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks]
    3. restart
    4. remove d3d8.dll, dinput8.dll and MGEgui.exe from the Morrowind install directory (..\Steam\steamapps\common\morrowind\)
    5. start the game
    6. copy the MGE files AGAIN
    7. run MGE

Once you've done all that, you can turn UAC back on. Also, make sure you're running everything with administrator privileges at all time everywhere. Also also, shit will always be broke if you've got Steam installed to your program files folder. Never install anything you intend to mod to the program files folder. Vista/Win7 put extra protections on it that can cause you all sorts of problems. IIRC, all you have to do is move your entire Steam folder to a different location and run steam.exe. It should automagically update its install for the new location.

Monger on
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks Monger, it all works and looks great now. Maybe now I can finally finish the gameafter I-don't-remember-how-many years after I bought the GOTY edition.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I ordered the collector's edition of Oblivion for next week. I hope to figure out modding it after my exam. I don't know how to use Wyre Bash at all. Not even it's guide has the phrase "Make Batched Patch" anywhere. It's rather aggravating.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    I ordered the collector's edition of Oblivion for next week. I hope to figure out modding it after my exam. I don't know how to use Wyre Bash at all. Not even it's guide has the phrase "Make Batched Patch" anywhere. It's rather aggravating.

http://knotstheinane.blogspot.com/2011/03/quick-dirty-guide-to-wrye-bash.html

From his main Oblivion modding guide.

http://knotstheinane.blogspot.com/p/oblivion-modding-guide.html

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does anyone know why exactly steam was so incompatible with mods like OBSE?

And does anyone think that with Skyrim, the modders will get around this problem? I guess steam wasn't as huge as it is right now when oblivion came out (5 years ago), so maybe they just weren't modding for it.

Just something I was thinking about today.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

And does anyone think that with Skyrim, the modders will get around this problem? I guess steam wasn't as huge as it is right now when oblivion came out (5 years ago), so maybe they just weren't modding for it.

Oblivion wasn't released on Steam for quite some time. They had to retrofit what they had.

And did a damn good job of it.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Oblivion Script Extender was originally made to get its hooks into Oblivion's exe and then do its magic. Well, Steam games don't allow modifying the exe in real time, so work had to be done by both Bethsoft and Valve to let OBSE run properly, presumably by offering the exe hooks up front instead of creating them by editing the memory.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »

Oblivion wasn't released on Steam for quite some time. They had to retrofit what they had.

And did a damn good job of it.
    Indeed. When Oblivion came out, you bought it on a disk in a store. Steam was a service that had:

-Valve games
    -That one Sin episode
    -Dark Messiah
    -That's about it

There was a guy at Valve that had to coordinate with the OBSE team to get it running properly. They came out with a nifty dll that runs off of the normal executable so you can just launch the game right from Steam and everything works. It's pretty awesome and most developers wouldn't have bothered.

Monger on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    They did the same deal for Fallout New Vegas as well for NVSE. That was really refreshing too.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Disabling Enhanced Vegetation and OBGE Liquid Water mostly solves the framerate issue with Better Cities in the Imperial City, and that's without using the FPS patches. I couldn't stay away from that mod - it's just too good. Now I'm trying to figure out ways I can gain some more frames without sacrificing visual quality. Any suggestions?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Many hours of tweaking Morrowind and I think I finally got something I will stick with. It doesn't even resemble close to what it used to. I'm just gonna hope I don't find any more bugs.
    wi3fpk.jpg

I know it doesn't have unlimited draw distance, but Morrowind isn't Morrowind without fog.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You look at Call of Duty, the most popular game in the world, and that's actually pretty hardcore. At the end of the day, it's a hardcore game, has RPG elements in multiplayer, making classes, picking perks.
    ... o_O

Suriko on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's pretty true. One of the reasons that MW multiplayer is popular is because it integrates a lot of traditionally RPG systems. Such as level ups, character customization through skill/weapon/killstreak selection, etc.

It been something going on for some time now and it can be seen in a lot of genres.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    You look at Call of Duty, the most popular game in the world, and that's actually pretty hardcore. At the end of the day, it's a hardcore game, has RPG elements in multiplayer, making classes, picking perks.
    ... o_O

Yeah, what did you find to be " o_O " about his answer?

Nothing's incorrect about what he said, have you not played the recent CoD games?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    He knows what CoD is?

Doesn't he know creating good games, and having knowledge of CoD are mutually exclusive?

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Okay, I have my copy of the Collector's Edition, and could use some help modding it.

The last time, I installed OBSE, Mod Manager, Wyre Bash, and BOSS, but I exclusively used Mod Manager and BOSS because Wyre Bash was too confusing, and the guides out there suck. I can't even find any that says "How to make a Batched Patch." And as far as I know I don't have to do anything with OBSE.

I played this on Xbox and had a rotten time because my character was weak. I have my first gaming PC in ten years and fully intend to play this. I collected a ton of mods already but have decided I only want certain items if FCOM is too crazy:

I absolutely want:
    Texture Pack
    Realistic Leveling
    All Natural
    ANYTHING else that would make leveling not suck.

I would consider:
    FCOM
    * If FCOM is too demanding I would consider just one of the big four mods.
    Music Pack
    Sound Pack
    Anything anyone recommends that takes priority over anything I just said.

Previous Issues:
    * I can't use Wyre Bash for shit - I can't figure out how to use it in conjunction with Mod Manager and BOSS. I would always install something with Mod Manager, then sort it with BOSS, then move on to the next mod. This ended up with lots of mods that all had the same installation time, and I can't find out how to edit that in Wyre Bash, nor do I know how to use Batched Patch.

Any help with this would be amazing. I have a gaming PC for the first time in ten years and have been tearing up League of Legends and Witcher, but it's aaaaaallllll about Oblivion, and the upcoming Skyrim.

I drove home with my copy playing this.

Cantido on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    For leveling I personally like Dzigen's Simplified Leveling, because it's zero-impact. It just raises your stats as you raise your skills.

I played one playthrough with OblivionXP but I didn't like it, as reading books, picking locks, etc. gave you like 10x as much XP as killing things. It took FOREVER to level with just killing stuff.

You should also get True Retroactive Health unless you enjoy being screwed out of HP if you don't get Endurance first.

Xagar on
  • Options
    Okay, new problem: The vanilla game ran on Steam flawlessly. This retail copy immediately crashes, and Bethsada says it's because my AMD Phenom II is six core and that doesn't work with Oblivion. Why would it work on Steam and not the retail copy?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Cantido wrote:
    Previous Issues:
    * I can't use Wyre Bash for shit - I can't figure out how to use it in conjunction with Mod Manager and BOSS. I would always install something with Mod Manager, then sort it with BOSS, then move on to the next mod. This ended up with lots of mods that all had the same installation time, and I can't find out how to edit that in Wyre Bash, nor do I know how to use Batched Patch. playing this.
    To make your bashed patch, you need to open up Bash and right click on the bashed patch esp in your list. There will be an option to rebuild it. Rebuilding it will give you a popup with a bunch of options. You want to check anything that's relevant to the mods you have installed and then rebuild. There's also not much point in using BOSS to sort until you're done installing mods (or done enough to test). The only reason to do it earlier is to get suggestions for bash tags, which it will spit out into its log file. The process should be install chunk of mods -> rebuild patch -> sort with BOSS -> test.

Cantido wrote:
    I drove home with my copy playing this.
    Elder Scrolls metal thread again?

Don't mind if I do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WGNd8QR-U

Monger on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Mastodon is amazing. Did you see that new video? I like the part where EVERYBODY DIES.

But this retail copy of Oblivion. Why would it crash before the Bethsada intro finishes playing?

Cantido on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    So..... I get annoyed easily at Oblivion. After a while it just becomes... boring. I can't find quests easy enough, and I don't want to waste time finding dungeons. I want to fight things. In Fallout its easy. There's few NPCs in certain areas, and its easy to find quests since a lot of the named NPC's have them. I'm sure it will be better in Skyrim, but still, I'm not having that much fun.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Cantido wrote:
    But this retail copy of Oblivion. Why would it crash before the Bethsada intro finishes playing?
    Oblivion.ini is usually the cause of that. Delete it (my documents/my games/oblivion), then restart the game to generate a new one. You'll then have to redo any changes that you've made to it and reinstall any mods with installers that make changes to it.

Monger on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote:
    So..... I get annoyed easily at Oblivion. After a while it just becomes... boring. I can't find quests easy enough, and I don't want to waste time finding dungeons. I want to fight things. In Fallout its easy. There's few NPCs in certain areas, and its easy to find quests since a lot of the named NPC's have them. I'm sure it will be better in Skyrim, but still, I'm not having that much fun.

Waste time finding dungeons? It's almost impossible not to find dungeons, you'll find about 10 if you just walk from a city to another. And the guild quests are probably the best quests and they are very easy to find.

• Options
    Monger wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    Oblivion.ini is usually the cause of that. Delete it (my documents/my games/oblivion), then restart the game to generate a new one. You'll then have to redo any changes that you've made to it and reinstall any mods with installers that make changes to it.

I just reinstalled it on Steam, and it did the same thing. I realized what's different: Between my Oblivion hiatus, I added a graphics card:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047N0XBM
    How do I make Oblivion embrace my first awesome graphics card?

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If anyone needs help modding Oblivion, you can always message me over Steam and I'll get you through that process live.

And I'm always upset when this thread pops back up and there's no new info on Skyrim. Dammit, Howard. Give me new screenshots!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    In oblivion I almost exclusively dungeon dive. It's even fun to do in vanilla. I don't see the complaint about them all looking the same at all, oddly. Oh well.

Sounds like Skyrim will be chock full of them, too, which should be fun.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I usually wander around the world jumping into dungeons whenever I come across them. Except Ayleid temples, screw those.

• Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Xagar wrote:
    For leveling I personally like Dzigen's Simplified Leveling, because it's zero-impact. It just raises your stats as you raise your skills.

I played one playthrough with OblivionXP but I didn't like it, as reading books, picking locks, etc. gave you like 10x as much XP as killing things. It took FOREVER to level with just killing stuff.

You should also get True Retroactive Health unless you enjoy being screwed out of HP if you don't get Endurance first.

To get the most out of Oblivion XP you really need to sit down and math out the XP progression to be how you like it in my opinion.

The standard progression it comes with just isn't very good. Took me a good evening to modify the equations myself so I got a progression curve and XP values of stuff done that made me like it but now it's AWESOME to play with.

I would never play Oblivion XP with the standard equations though, as you say it levels way wonky and on top of that it gives weird amounts of points leaving you at a very different place skillwise throughout the levels than you would have with Oblivions system, even if you didn't min/max.

EDIT: The maker of the mod clearly knows people got different ideas of what good progression is though and included easy to use help tools to fix it.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kadoken wrote:
    Are you trolling?

The game has a quest compass that leads you by the dick to the content, and you genuinely can't find shit to do?

You bone idle bastard...

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    Cantido wrote:
    Monger wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

I just reinstalled it on Steam, and it did the same thing. I realized what's different: Between my Oblivion hiatus, I added a graphics card:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047N0XBM
    How do I make Oblivion embrace my first awesome graphics card?
    Oblivion.ini isn't cleared on uninstall/reinstall, and it does contain some system-specific stuff that'll give you crashes if you've changed hardware. That's why you have to delete it manually. It's pretty irritating.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote:
    Kadoken wrote:
    Are you trolling?

The game has a quest compass that leads you by the dick to the content, and you genuinely can't find shit to do?

You bone idle bastard...

The quest compass does not point to quests. His problem is that questgivers are too hard to find.

This discussion has been closed.