As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim]: Its actually Oblivion 2, in fact, its probably just Fallout with swords.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hmmm. Interesting thought. Skyrim most likely will have Shrines. How will they be different? Especially with the hero of Oblivion as the Lord of Madness? Or worse if Akitosh is indisposed? Or do you think it will be more like Morrowinds shrines and be tied closer to the plot? (Of the main story, not the side quests.) Oh hell, if you take the outcome of Oblivion to it's logical conclusion, you have an immortal Speaker who is also a Deadra Lord. That's got to be...hilarious.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Scosglen wrote:
    Didn't they say that there was a "hard" cap of something like 70 or 80 for really crazy people? Or is it really meant that you can keep grinding out perk points like everquest AA's or something indefinitely?

I saw somewhere that the max level is 75 because at that point you will have maxed all skills and thus no longer be able to level. Basically, outside of cheating you end up with 75 perks to put into something like 200 perk choices...I can't recall which preview I read, but they said basically if you really wanted to see every perk at some point, you'd need to play the game 4 times minimum, and I guess you'd have to be hardcore about specializing.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    There has to be some useful synergy going on with the skill/perk combos you can pick up. Because remember there are some event and choice perks tied to the plot and the paths you take.

4 playthroughs...ya, if you plan everything out accordingly. Good, I don't want too. I'm going to goof and experiment.

I'm torn. I love Redguards since Daggerfall, but I'm half tempted to try a Breton Illusionist Ninja as my first run. (And going with the stuff I've run across, there is a racial bonus, mixed with combat perk plot choice, and some hideous Illusion/fear combos. Should be interesting.)

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My first run through will be a Nord of the most extreme bad-ass manliness to the max.

Ax + Shield, no magic (except dragon shouts).
    Maybe duel wield axes... not sure except that there will be at least one ax at all times.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    My first run through will be a Nord of the most extreme bad-ass manliness to the max.

Ax + Shield, no magic (except dragon shouts).
    Maybe duel wield axes... not sure except that there will be at least one ax at all times.

I can assume that is the default choice for the plot. I'm sure to try my hand at a Nord Bezerker. Pity I can't access Dungeon of Dreadmor style Viking magic...or can I?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    My first instinct was to play a straight up viking axe-wielder as well, but the more I think about it the more I think it would be more interesting to roll a character who's something of a "fish out of water" in the setting.

We don't know the setup for the plot yet (even the journalists who've gotten to play the game get dumped into the world right after this game's analog of the sewer assassination), so we don't know just why the PC is starting the game as a convict this time, but maybe they've been sent to Skyrim as an exile? I like the idea of a haughty Breton sorceress getting exiled to the a frozen wasteland populated by brutish vikings (especially given the history between High Rock and Skyrim if my memory of Elder Scrolls lore serves me) and discovering she's the fucking dragon-born and having to deal with what that means.

Disclaimer: When it comes to creating RPG characters, Tycho in this comic is me. Before I commit to spending 20, 30, maybe a hundred hours "with" a character, I want to make them more than just a face and a name and some stats, at least in my head, even if the traits and backstory I come up with aren't reflected in any way by the game itself. Given the chance, I will try to pick dialogue choices and other options which are in keeping with the personality I have created for my character in my head, even if they are not obviously the "right" or most advantageous ones. This was basically how I spent most of my time playing Oblivion, and it greatly enhanced my enjoyment. In my mind, my dunmer nightblade had a whole history with the Morag Tong that caused her to leave her homeland, and my bard was an extremely suave and charismatic rake who would bed at least one barmaid in every town he visited. Since acquiring it during this year's Steam summer sale, I have had time to spend only 8 hours on Neverwinter Nights 2, and fully half of that was in the character creator, and a large chunk of that devising a backstory for my barbarian which both satisfied me and would fit in the irksomely limited space the game afforded me to type it out.

What can I say? It's a mild psychosis. The really ridiculous part is that I have never played a pencil-and-paper RPG that would afford me the chance to actually role-play like D&D in my life...

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    This game makes me want to play a kung-fu wizard Argonian so badly. Especially with the Dragon Shouts and the hilarious mental image of a magic lizard-man running around screaming at viking berzerkers.

I have heard that hand-to-hand is no longer a skill and that Argonians may have special animations for it? Is there truth to any of this? Is magic still as gimpy as it felt in Oblivion?

Z0re on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Hand-to-hand is no longer a discrete skill, correct. I believe they've stated Khajit may have some special hand-to-hand animations because claws yo but I don't know about Argonians. Hell, maybe I have it backwards, someone will clear this up.

The magic system has supposedly undergone a complete overhaul in order to make it more enjoyable and badass. One of the major magic innovations we've been told about is that you can cast different spells from each hand, or in some cases put the same spell in both hands and then combine them for a more powerful effect.

• Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    I pretty much just want to make a fat, jolly, viking cleric who wanders around slaughtering things with his giant rune-inscribed mace.

I want a murderous, divine Santa Clause.

I want Volstagg who can scream so hard at dragons that he makes them die.

I want Skyrim.

It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    One word.

Vunterslash

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    I generally go with gross concepts and flesh them from there. Oh my...

Viking Necromancer - Axe Wielding dark magic user who raises the dead and unleashes frost and lightning bolts upon my foes. The whole while singing grim song as a bloody skald using the dragon tongue.

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    I am going with an Artemis Entreri style Imperial Assassin, Dual Wield Sword / Dagger OH, will go straight for the dodgy Thieves / Assassin guild stuff and get dragged into side-quests / the main quest when I feel it will profit me / benefit me best.

Oh and can you block with an OH weapon at all? I seem to recall you can't.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I was planning on starting with my usual choice, that is a sword & board and bow-wielding Redguard, but magic in Skyrim just looks so damn fun that I might take Destruction instead of Archery for long range attacks.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Planning on a one-handed sword user with offhand magic. Probably Destruction, Illusion or Alteration. Closest setup there is to a fencer/duelist.

Too bad characters forget how to block when they have a spell prepared in their left hand. :(

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Also, is same sex marriage really a bullet point for this game? Is that how brazen they are?

It's actually not a bullet-point. I think it's only when the ESRB rating came up that people asked about it, and they were like "oh, yeah, that's in there too. We didn't want to make a thing of it."
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Mainly I was talking about the idea that one species cannot, by definition, breed with another species. So you can't have half Khajit, half Argonian children.

Unless of course in Elder Scrolls lore they are the same species, just with divergent histories or some bullshit.

Or you know

A wizard did it.

What about half orc, half vampire?

edit: I go away for the night, and apparently Scarab's the only person I want to reply to. Czech me out.

2 edit 2 furious: I tell a lie
    Anid Maro wrote:
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Imagine how hard that shit is on PC. And then imagine how much harder it is on Xbox. Using the Duke. For like 6 straight hours.

To be fair, of all the time I spent playing Morrowind, which was hundreds of hours, I probably got most satisfaction out of my home base. More RPGs need a home base like that. It had guards and a barracks and a fucking perimeter wall. And a pub. If anything, Oblivion went one better by letting you customize the furniture and stuff. And it had that awsome downtown Skingrad apartment building that was not just cool looking but super fucking useful being right opposite the mage shop.

I used to do this sort of stuff too. On both PC and XBox.

At one point on the XBox version, I actually used the "perma-spell" glitches to create an infinite* length uber-powerful Command Humanoid spell which I then used to charm various NPCs, drag them to my wizard tower, reverse-steal armor onto them so that they would wear it, position them 'just so', hit them with an infinite* length Paralyze spell, and lined the entry hall to my abode with my 'mannequins'.

This was all in addition to perfectly laying out all my other loot such as valuable weapons, artifacts, story items, books, et cetera.

It was after that wizard tower setup that I finally sat back, looked at what I had done, looked around at my messy real life apartment, and asked "what the hell am I doing?"

*The spells weren't technically infinite, they would last for approximately 7 years of real time play. Which was friggin' close enough.

Oh hey, House of Wax. I just watched that the other day!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote:
    Planning on a one-handed sword user with offhand magic. Probably Destruction, Illusion or Alteration. Closest setup there is to a fencer/duelist.

Too bad characters forget how to block when they have a spell prepared in their left hand. :(

That's what I want to do, too. Spellsword! They look fun, although a bit more challenging than a straight up mage or warrior. I just don't know how I'm going to divide up my attribute points. An even amount to health, mana and stamina?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Z0re wrote:
    This game makes me want to play a kung-fu wizard Argonian so badly. Especially with the Dragon Shouts and the hilarious mental image of a magic lizard-man running around screaming at viking berzerkers.

I have heard that hand-to-hand is no longer a skill and that Argonians may have special animations for it? Is there truth to any of this? Is magic still as gimpy as it felt in Oblivion?

Magic was fucking legit in Oblivion what are you talking about

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote:

Magic was fucking legit in Oblivion what are you talking about

Well

I think we've been over this but magic in Oblivion was fairly underpowered compared to the previous entries in the series.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    When I had Oblivion on PC, I had a fireball spell mod that turned it into an H bomb...

Not for use in towns...or houses, I used it in a house once and I crashed to desktop.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Sounds like the mod was working correctly.

I'll be recreating my three dudes from Oblivion.

Briton Neck Romancer Necromancer

Bosmer thief/assassin

Imperial Paladin.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i think ill be a nord this time, im usually the race of where ever each elder scrolls takes place, i know one thing for sure though, i will have the most manly of beards and a shining chrome dome

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    i think ill be a nord this time, im usually the race of where ever each elder scrolls takes place, i know one thing for sure though, i will have the most manly of beards and a shining chrome dome

Or you know, it could be that you realize Nords are just awesome (and they are).

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I have always been sad that it was so hard to use Illusion to persuade your way through the world

• Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    Oblivion question:

So being excited about this game, but also broke, I picked up Oblivion for the 360 last night. The guide included sucked though, so I looked up a game guide and YEESH. So apparently if I don't choose abilities I don't actually need and stay away from those I do, the game will be unbeatable by level 3. It's recommended I keep a notebook and cheese stats I don't need because it's necessary to game the system.

Is all that really necessary? If my little sneaky cat lady actually chooses her sneaky abilities, am I going to be overmatched 10 hours in and have to start over?

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Its not necessary. I played like 200 hours on the Xbox before coming on line and reading about that stuff.

• Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    So as long as I pick an armor and a weapon and keep up with them, the content shouldn't outlevel me? That sounds reasonable. Like, my sneaky cat lady could take light armor, blades, sneak, speechcraft and other misc. stuff and be more or less fine.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Huxley wrote:
    So as long as I pick an armor and a weapon and keep up with them, the content shouldn't outlevel me? That sounds reasonable. Like, my sneaky cat lady could take light armor, blades, sneak, speechcraft and other misc. stuff and be more or less fine.

Pretty much.

The problem is this:

Enemies are scaled based on your level. Thus, a level 10 character will meet a much harder enemy than a level 5 character.

Levels are based on raising your skills. Taking your example character, you could raise Sneak, Speechcraft, Mercantile, and Alchemy a whole lot, and advance from 5th to 10th-level just on those skill-ups, and you would still have the Light Armor and Blade skill of a level 5 character.

The game doesn't compensate for this; it sees you as a level 10 character, and spawns the level 10 enemies, even though they hopelessly outclass your combat abilities (which are 5 levels behind).

So, as long as you keep raising Light Armor and Blades, you should be pretty much okay.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Don't be afraid to lower the difficulty if enemies become too difficult.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Or wait for a mod that balances it out.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Who was I kidding thinking I wasn't getting this on release. My only concern now is whether to pre order it or not. There's a mom and pop place less than a mile from me that always, always breaks street date, but no pre orders.

Is the cloth map suppose to be awesome or anything?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Supposedly all first-run copies of the game have the map included, so there's a good chance you'd get it anyway.

As for the map, it seems kind of unremarkable; just a normal map that's made of some cloth. I expect it to be gathering dust as soon as I get the game out of the box and start playing.

Suriko on
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    I'll most likely be making an Argonian of some some form, because I love having everyone in the game world hate me. :P Given the changes that they're implementing for Archery perhaps I'll be able to get my Ranger on properly for once.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote:
    As for the map, it seems kind of unremarkable; just a normal map that's made of some cloth. I expect it to be gathering dust as soon as I get the game out of the box and start playing.

I'm a map hound. I might frame it and put it with my other maps. So people will examine my wall and be, "Oh hmm, nice map of northwest here, very good... oh, Skyrim... where is Skyrim?"

"MY DREAMS!"

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I've just been watching gameplay videos all day. That new version of the elder scrolls theme: so delicious.

I was finally bit by the hype bug this afternoon. Very tempted to boot up Oblivion.

Regardless I know what I'm selecting in Skyrim:

A Breton Battlemage Summoner. Conjuration, Mace, Shield, Awesome.

edit:

OOOOH I wonder if duel wielding a Conjuration spell will have any unique effects.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Ugh, so every version of Skyrim apparently has to be activated and played through Steam..the problem with that is that Skyrim might be region locked, preventing the English version that I preordered from working here.

• Options
    DonauDonau Registered User regular
    Have proxy will travel my friend.

• Options
    Donau wrote:
    Have proxy will travel my friend.

And how would I do that?
    I'm terrible at tech stuff like that.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote:
    Huxley wrote:

Pretty much.

The problem is this:

Enemies are scaled based on your level. Thus, a level 10 character will meet a much harder enemy than a level 5 character.

Levels are based on raising your skills. Taking your example character, you could raise Sneak, Speechcraft, Mercantile, and Alchemy a whole lot, and advance from 5th to 10th-level just on those skill-ups, and you would still have the Light Armor and Blade skill of a level 5 character.

The game doesn't compensate for this; it sees you as a level 10 character, and spawns the level 10 enemies, even though they hopelessly outclass your combat abilities (which are 5 levels behind).

So, as long as you keep raising Light Armor and Blades, you should be pretty much okay.

The only way this would ever be a problem is if you literally only ever used those skills...but without setting the game to a low difficulty in the first place, I'm not sure how you'd survive the early levels without leveling your combat skills as well. It sure seems like you'd have to try really hard to fuck it up this time since they fixed the issue from Oblivion (where you might only pick non-combat skills and level using those)

• Options
    God it's confusing at a glance to find this thread. Skyrim, Skylanders and Skyward Sword aaaaah.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote:
    God it's confusing at a glance to find this thread. Skyrim, Skylanders and Skyward Sword aaaaah.

Not to mention the Skyward Sword thread starts with the word "Skyrim." It's tripping me up.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
This discussion has been closed.