As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man I hope Bumi and Kya get some good screen time. I like their character designs.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i got a theory regarding Bumi
    which is that he's actually Amon. I am not the only person who posits this theory. I figure, the non-bending son of not only two different benders but one of which is the fucking Avatar is going to be pretty butthurt that he has no superpowers. His sister is a waterbender. His brother is an airbender, and his nieces and nephew are airbenders. Bumi don't get nothin', so he could be pretty angry about that.

Also, if as it is implied in some of the previews, Amon can actually energybend and take people's powers away, that still might make it Bumi, because bending has been shown to be hereditary and the only other human energybender we've seen in the series is Aang. So maybe while Bumi appears to be a non-bender, he's actually the anti-bender?

rampant speculation up in this bitch

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, bending just seems to happen randomly in families -- two non-benders could raise a bender, two benders could raise a non-bender, etc.

Though it seems like Tenzin's got some super airbending sperm.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Though it seems like Tenzin's got some super airbending sperm.
    No....no.. no. You're not allowed to say that with that userpic.

Aurich on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I loved the elements of boxing in the Pro Bending scenes. Already hooked to this series.
    1st ep:
    Also, was Lin the first time we've seen remote metalbending? I hope we get to see her story. Love to know what made her the way she is.

Future episode guesswork:
    Some people were talking about the potential for a villain to take away a prominent benders abilities. Lin could fit that, given she was explicitly introduced but might not have another use.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Hopefully we see some air benders who aren't monks.

I'm not sure how that would be possible, since there are only four airbenders currently alive.

At least six. Tenzin had two siblings (Katara references them when Tenzin first arrives at the water tribe outpost where Korra is being trained.)

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Pony wrote: »
    which is that he's actually Amon. I am not the only person who posits this theory. I figure, the non-bending son of not only two different benders but one of which is the fucking Avatar is going to be pretty butthurt that he has no superpowers. His sister is a waterbender. His brother is an airbender, and his nieces and nephew are airbenders. Bumi don't get nothin', so he could be pretty angry about that.

Also, if as it is implied in some of the previews, Amon can actually energybend and take people's powers away, that still might make it Bumi, because bending has been shown to be hereditary and the only other human energybender we've seen in the series is Aang. So maybe while Bumi appears to be a non-bender, he's actually the anti-bender?

I really, really hope you're wrong about this.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Hopefully we see some air benders who aren't monks.

I'm not sure how that would be possible, since there are only four airbenders currently alive.

At least six. Tenzin had two siblings (Katara references them when Tenzin first arrives at the water tribe outpost where Korra is being trained.)
    Official word is that Tenzin is the only airbender in his family.

tumblr_m1l71mmkiS1qzf7cqo1_500.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    So.

Did anyone else notice that Amon
    has plans for a fucking mech?

I demand a screen capture.
    tumblr_m1m3rh5z0B1qb59nf.png

Neat.
    But I'm not 100% sure its a mech. I would also believe that it could be a silhouette of the rig that makes the stun gun things work. Like maybe those aren't mech arms and legs, but all the strapping/cabling/etc. that disperses the weight of a large battery and supplies power to some electrodes or something.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

I really, really hope you're wrong about this.
    I have had the same theory. I think less likely than anger it is a perversion of his father's dream. Aang wanted peace and harmony between all nations. All of them must be equal you could say to achieve this. One method is to jack the bending from them all together and make them the same.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    This was fantastic! Some of the characters seemed a bit thin like the bender brothers and kithara even but overall I was thoroughly impressed. I thought how the victor of the bending sport was determined was a but arbitrary but the sport itself was perfect. Fully realized and totally awesome. Metal bending hq was totally awesome, nice touch that only metal benders would be able to get around in it

How is
    The sport arbitrary? The rules are very clear and laid out.

I wasn't clear on how the winner was determined. seemed like a team won rounds 1 + 2 and then the other team won the whole match by winning the 3rd round and getting both lanterns to light up

everything else about the sport was fully realized and awesome, that one little bit tripped me up

They don't really spell out how the victory conditions work in the first two episodes, but there is a video out there about the actual rules that does a decent job of explaining things. Basically, if at any point you knock the entire other team off the platform, you win immediately. That is why they played the third round at all. Think of it like a boxer getting a KO. You can lose every round on the judges scorecard, but if you knock your opponent out before the end of the fight, you win.

oh! thanks that clears it up

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    my first thought was that it was ozai that was somehow granted immortality by having his spirit shit all fucked up

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I really doubt it going to Amon is going to be him. I don't really think there would be any emotional punch to it. My money is on Amon being someone new, though we might meet him unmasked secretly before the reveal but I doubt we have seen him yet.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    If we meet him, will he still have Steve Blum's voice? Because that would be a dead giveaway.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Pro-bending is very internally consistent and kind of cool and makes a lot of sense from the mythology and politics perspective of the world.

Like, what better way to heal the divide between war-torn nations than to force them to compete together on the same team in SPORTS? People love sports.

• Options
    It was a fleeting moment, but I loved when Korra froze that guys face then finished him with a kick to the head. I like that avatars can have such unique fighting styles despite learning all four elements. (granted she still needs air, but I just couldn't see Aang doing that.)

Some of that probably has to do with age too. She also busted out a very Azula move when she hooked that guys foot in midair.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Terrendos wrote: »
    If we meet him, will he still have Steve Blum's voice? Because that would be a dead giveaway.
    I would be shocked if we meet him before the unmasking, for this reason in particular.

Edit: whoever "him" may be.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Maybe it's a magic mask. That makes anyone sound like steve blum

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oh, that would be magical. It's totally possible they could do it that way, and I wouldn't even be particularly bothered, just doesn't seem like their style.

I imagine references will be made to whoever it ends up being, but we won't hear that person speak before they're unmasked.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Greeper wrote: »
    Pro-bending is very internally consistent and kind of cool and makes a lot of sense from the mythology and politics perspective of the world.

Like, what better way to heal the divide between war-torn nations than to force them to compete together on the same team in SPORTS? People love sports.

That's actually a great point. Weird that they don't have rules to incorporate air benders though. I mean, I know they're in short supply, but you'd think the rules would exist.

Edit: so much posting. I am clearly thrilled to have this universe back :-p

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

That's actually a great point. Weird that they don't have rules to incorporate air benders though. I mean, I know they're in short supply, but you'd think the rules would exist.

Of the five airbenders in existence,

Three are under ten.

Two can't airbend at all yet.

The only adult and master is a serious old guy who doesn't like sports all that much.

I imagine in say, fifty years there might be a large enough population of airbenders that one might fight the system and argue to be let in. They may even let them sub in for a fire or waterbender (Well, there isn't any rule that says dogs can't play Basketball!) . But there is no way they're going to have a large enough population to seriously consider that for a long, long time.

Z0re on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Just to be clear, you're talking about the unborn baby airbender?

• Options
    Z0re wrote: »

Three are under ten.

The only adult and master is a serious old guy who doesn't like sports all that much.

I imagine in say, fifty years there might be a large enough population of airbenders that one might fight the system and argue to be let in. They may even let them sub in for a fire or waterbender (Well, there isn't any rule that says dogs can't play Basketball!) . But there is no way they're going to have a large enough population to seriously consider that for a long, long time.

I know, I get that. Just thought it was weird that they didn't have the option, especially since they apparently had and avatar clause.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Three are under ten.

I know, I get that. Just thought it was weird that they didn't have the option, especially since they apparently had and avatar clause.

I got the impression they made that rule up on the spot.

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just to be clear, you're talking about the unborn baby airbender?

Korra, the three kids and Tenzin. Technically Korra isn't an 'airbender', but she still has the potential to airbend so I included her. Also I forgot we saw Ikki Meelo airbend and was under the impression he couldn't because his sisters do it a lot more than he does.

Three are under ten.

I got the impression they just made that up on the spot. And honestly, considering Aang's personality and role in setting up Republic City, having an 'Avatar rule' makes way more sense to me than having an airbender rule. Aang loved playing silly games.

Z0re on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ikki is the younger girl. Meelo is the youngest/best character.

EDIT: I would assume the rule is "teams must consist of no more than one of each firebender, waterbender, and earthbender" and since Korra technically counts as all three that would be the "foul." They let it slide as long as she only waterbends because who would want to kick out the Avatar?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2012

EDIT: I would assume the rule is "teams must consist of no more than one of each firebender, waterbender, and earthbender" and since Korra technically counts as all three that would be the "foul." They let it slide as long as she only waterbends because who would want to kick out the Avatar?

More technically, the rule could be one person each firebending, waterbending, and earthbending, which, if the avatar only bends one element, checks out.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAZuKH1PfgQ&feature=related

30 seconds is still by far the funniest part for me. Though all the kids have been excellent.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I didn't expect it to be so authentically funny. Like, they're not going for bad puns and jokes, it's just really good writing.

"Promise me you won't be like that when you're a teenager."

"I promise nothing."

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    I really doubt it going to Amon is going to be him. I don't really think there would be any emotional punch to it. My money is on Amon being someone new, though we might meet him unmasked secretly before the reveal but I doubt we have seen him yet.

It'd kind of boggle me that a kid raised around Katara, Aang, and the rest (Particularly Sokka, Suki, and Tai Li) would even consider it.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Just saw the first two episodes. This is pretty awesome so far, can't wait to see more. The 1920s setting is really working.

Also, watching the shipping wars erupt in real time is truly a beautiful thing to behold. This will be magnificent.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

It'd kind of boggle me that a kid raised around Katara, Aang, and the rest (Particularly Sokka, Suki, and Tai Li) would even consider it.

Clearly, clearly Amon is actually
    Tenzin's wife, driven to the edge of insanity by her bender offspring. Later, to prove to Korra it isn't her, Korra's mom will don the mask (for similar reasons of course) a la Mystery of the Batwoman style. Umm, also some kind of Azula offspring. They have radio technology, which means they could totally have 'mask that makes you sound like Steve Blum' tech too. Or something. Sorry I'm new at this crazy theory thing.

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    While they are not shown on the family tree, I find myself wondering if Kya and Bumi's own (potential?) children could be airbenders (Yay! Genetics!).

Maclay on
  • Options
    AsiriyaAsiriya Registered User regular
    I never really considered it before, but how did Air nomadism work? DId they just rotate between each of the temples (and go on crazy adventures whilst travelling)?

Would explain why Aang knew so much of the world and each of the temple locations I guess.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular

I think we all know the only face under that mask that could have a real emotional punch:
    614004-void_0_.jpeg

Actually,
    could he use his Jamie voice with the mask off? Or Leeron

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Amon wears masks. You know who else wears masks? Zuko!

Clearly, it is Zuko in disguise. This is the only reasonable explanation.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Pretty much the only complaint I have is regarding the pro-bending sequences. It has an awesome presentation, wonderful narration, and so on; but I'm not sure how I feel about benders "running out of juice". Each round is only three minutes, and (I'd have to check, but am fairly sure) we've seen fights with untrained benders going on for longer.

But that's such a minor nitpick.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I don't remember that many regular benders in TLA, especially in fights. I think it's fair that they get exhausted in probending though; in actual fights, they had other stuff to rely on which doesn't/can't work in probending - fire kingdom had armor and weapons in addition to bending, earthbenders could put up a shield to buy time to rest.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Also, pro bending is not as energy efficient as regular bending is. I'm pretty sure the stances in bending help you conserve your energy so you can last longer, but in pro bending you can't rely on that.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I want to see someone from the East(?) Air Temple who is descended from an air nomad, and is a bender, but is not of the monk temperament at all.

"Be the leaf? I am the wind!" Kind of dealy. (Note: Yes, I do have his entire backstory in my head, because work is fucking boring)

Fencingsax on
This discussion has been closed.