As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Game of Glorious Uncertainties

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    Mambo No. 5 is a cricket song? This sport is becoming a lot more interesting.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I don't think there is much late 90s pop I don't like.

Three hours is long enough to get the hang of what is going on, not long enough to get bored.

• Options
    HoleHole Registered User regular
    wasdeath.jpg

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Aqua. Urghhhh. The Ketchup Song was equally dire

Disco needs to stay dead, but it won't take the hint

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    VENGABOYS

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The one that stuck with me for some reason was Blue (aabadababa)

This pales compared to Ace of base's All That She Wants though for making me feel like a small child

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    And then after the cricket we'll have a 90s themed disco.

• Options
    I listened to Blue. Voluntarily.

There was something wrong with me

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    I'd post Vengaboys but their videoclips are pretty awful.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    And that's just proof that you haven't completely fallen to evil, Wiet!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    And then after the cricket we'll have a 90s themed disco.

Good shout. That's a solid plan.

• Options
    Kidding right. Remember where they came from!

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    I listened to Blue. Voluntarily.

There was something wrong with me

It is ok. I'm pretty sure I have an Aqua album around here somewhere.

I regret nothing!

Ok, that was a lie :P

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I like Vengaboys though.

• Options
    Liiya wrote:
    I like Vengaboys though.

A lot of otherwise sane women do, apparently

What a phenomenon!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    least they aint the cheeky girls

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    First album I owned was on tape.

It was Power Rangers.

8-)

• Options
    You gave Simon Cowell money then. That was his idea.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    To be fair, I don't think I was even 10 at the time.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    People who don't know who Sachin Tendulkar is make me sad.

Being from the far, far south of the world cricket is just something I grew up with, same with rugby. I remember quite clearly when Jonty Rhodes and Allan Donald came to our school to speak about cricket and being self motivated and hard working. Got to see Allan in the nets for a bit and Jonty showing us how to dive properly : b

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I heard this on the radio today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLsAkeRd84

Liiya on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    this is all I know about cricket

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Liiya wrote:
    I heard this on the radio today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLsAkeRd84

I loved that song. It always makes me think of this one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaElH0EHjIs

Although when I was a kid I remember being inexplicably pissed off when I found out the singers didn't match my mental image

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Whoops got sidetracked and forgot what I was originally going to post. Bad-Beat has probably seen this footage forty times but I like seeing people crack up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    that batsman is Holding, the bowler's Willy

• Options
    that batsman is Holding, the bowler's Willy

Urban legend!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Junpei wrote:
    You can't that sort of thing in International One Day cricket.... not even over here in Bombay.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    Radius wrote:
    So is this like baseball or something?

No, baseball is from the British game of rounders. Which is not the same.
    :^:

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RusxsoenIs

I wish I could find more of these. Turns out clips from a canceled Aussie sketch show aren't that popular.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cricket? Is like Baseball mixed with Kickball?

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    The fact that bowlers can run full speed before bowling on a pitch that is only 22 meters long is crazy. I'd wear all that padding as well. It makes me want to see a cricket ball to see if they are as hard as baseballs.

Also, are beamers actually a legal, legitimate pitch? In baseball if you intentionally try to hit someone in the head, it would end with a riot on the field most likely.

• Options
    A good ball at the head is accepted as a normal part of the game now that helmets are mandatory. It was far more dangerous when the West Indies had 4 90mph fast bowlers that could bang them in all day. The only acceptable reaction to getting hit is either being seriously injured, or acting like it didn't hurt at all. Either way the fielders will laugh at you.

You wouldn't bowl there too often at a good batsman though, it'll get easily avoided or hit for 6. It's the poor bowlers that end up getting pelted around the face, because they can't bat well enough to deal with it.

It's always been legal, but it wasn't always acceptable to everyone though;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyline

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote:
    The fact that bowlers can run full speed before bowling on a pitch that is only 22 meters long is crazy. I'd wear all that padding as well. It makes me want to see a cricket ball to see if they are as hard as baseballs.

Also, are beamers actually a legal, legitimate pitch? In baseball if you intentionally try to hit someone in the head, it would end with a riot on the field most likely.

Harder, smaller, lighter.

Beamers would be ruled a 'No Ball' and are viewed as bad sportsmanship, but are sometimes used as an intimidating tool, basically the same as throwing a ball at batter. However, you can basically achieve the same effect from a bouncer, which is a ball bowled hard and fast enough and pitched short so that it 'bounces' up high enough to collect someone's head.

A bouncer is a fully legal delivery.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I really like the idea also that the ball is never replaced, so it gains character over the course of a match. Also that the pitch develops it's own character. So if early on you have a bowler that really hits the pitch hard, it's tougher on the batter to guess bounces later on.

I would guess that really plays into the strategy of the game, such as bowler/ batter rotation.

The crappy thing is now that I am somewhat interested, I have no idea how I could watch a match in the US, unless matches are streamed. Guess I will have to ask one of my Indian friends. :)

• Options
    The ball can be replaced every 80 overs (an over is 6 deliveries), though if it's swinging or reversing through the air, or a spinner is getting a lot of turn out of it, they might not take the new ball straight away.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote:
    I really like the idea also that the ball is never replaced, so it gains character over the course of a match. Also that the pitch develops it's own character. So if early on you have a bowler that really hits the pitch hard, it's tougher on the batter to guess bounces later on.

I would guess that really plays into the strategy of the game, such as bowler/ batter rotation.

The crappy thing is now that I am somewhat interested, I have no idea how I could watch a match in the US, unless matches are streamed. Guess I will have to ask one of my Indian friends. :)

If you are interested in watching, try out a 20/20 game because they are much easier to digest and don't contain a lot of the over padding that a ODI or Test do : b

• Options
    I enjoy the occasional T20, but they are a bit shoddy at times. I prefer them to ODIs because if you're going to have a short game it should be as flashy as possible, but a 5 day test is the one true form of the game. T20 and Test Matches are practically different sports, and require very different skills. Bowlers in T20 matches are basically clowns getting hit in the face by pie after pie.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I don't mind provincial or even the IPL format Twenty20. I think it's less spectacular as an International competition, though. When India plays South Africa, it should be a clash of titans, not T-ball.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    FUCK CRICKET

MORE LIKE SPREADSHEETKET

Also the best thing about the new forums is I don't now have a blue dot on this thread.

broken image link
This discussion has been closed.