As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Zelda Thread] Skyward Sword...smells nice too.

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote:
    Is there anything to sink money into?

I'm early game (just getting into the 3rd area), and I have 800 max rupees and not a damn thing to spend it on.

You sir, clearly have not been to beedles flying shop. He sells adventure pack increase, as well as tailsmen, and eventually, a heart piece. Several things are well over 1k in price.....

• Options
    Maz- wrote:
    Are there any prizes besides rupees?
    Because if not..why bother with it?

The begginer was a heart piece, the others, not sure...
    There are not.

Are you sure? Did you complete them? How do you know? I think they are impossible.

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Item upgrades, new items from the Bazaar or from Beedle, potions, potion upgrades. I found myself spending money all the way through the game, though I did occasionally stockpile for a bit while saving up for a high-price item.

edit: huh, new page. This was in response to Derrick.

Darian on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Derrick wrote:

I'm early game (just getting into the 3rd area), and I have 800 max rupees and not a damn thing to spend it on.

You probably need to visit Beedle's air shop. It will make you beg for a bigger wallet.

edit: I should push refresh more often.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    I'm sure because I looked it up because it was impossible and I didn't want to be bothered finding out for myself.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Well, if you really wanted to try to "beat" Thrill Digger (dig up every possible square that doesn't have a bomb?), then you need to get a sheet of graph paper, draw a box of the appropriate size, and record everything as you dig it up. Then prepare for the slowest and most difficult game of Minesweeper you ever played, and you'll still be making a lot of random choices which are likely to explode in your face.

• Options
    Darian wrote:
    Well, if you really wanted to try to "beat" Thrill Digger (dig up every possible square that doesn't have a bomb?), then you need to get a sheet of graph paper, draw a box of the appropriate size, and record everything as you dig it up. Then prepare for the slowest and most difficult game of Minesweeper you ever played, and you'll still be making a lot of random choices which are likely to explode in your face.

Right, that's what i thought....impossible....thanks Darian...

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Ah, thanks everyone. I did indeed forget about the flying shop.

Here's hoping I can find another wallet upgrade soon.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    There are extra prizes, but you need to make a perfect run. I "cleared" beginner and got I think a golden skull treasure for my effort. Whoopie.

I wouldn't even attempt it on Intermediate or Expert just due to the inherent inaccuracies in the "minesweeper" system being used. The fact that a blue rupee can be next to one OR TWO bad spots (and so on up the chain) makes a logical determination impossible.

On Expert mostly I just dig randomly until I either get blasted or hit a silver rupee. They tend to come in bunches, so pick a direction and hope.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Derrick wrote:
    Ah, thanks everyone. I did indeed forget about the flying shop.

Here's hoping I can find another wallet upgrade soon.

You're in luck!
    The flying shop sells wallet upgrades.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote:

Then you haven't been to Beedle's shop yet... I have spent so much money there.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-12-nintendo-zelda-series-keeping-motion-controls
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's motion control scheme is here to stay, series boss Eiji Aonuma has said.

Despite initial misgivings about requiring players to use the Wii Remote's MotionPlus attachment, Aonuma now believes buttons are a thing of the past for the Zelda series.

"I honestly think we cannot go back to button controls now", Aonuma revealed in a new ONM interview (via Kotaku). "So I think that these controls will be used in future Zelda titles, too."

Nintendo demonstrated a Zelda "experience" for the Wii U during its unveiling at E3 this year.

The Wii U's tablet controller was used as a touch-screen inventory.

Will players be asked to use a Wii Remote Plus and tablet controller together? Or will the inevitable Wii U incarnation include better usage of the tablet, too?

Zelda games for handheld systems will presumably keep the series' classic button controls. After this year's re-release of Ocarina of Time, the next 3DS Zelda game will be all-new, Aonuma recently said.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    There are a few places I wish the control was tighter, like riding the mine carts, but that's about it and it was such a small part of the game. Otherwise it's been pretty easy getting used to the things.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Upgrades really start to become a thing some time after the 3rd dungeon, but up until that point it's all Beedle baby. Go grab yourself some extra pouch space, an increased wallet size or a decent medal. That oughta put your bank through the floor pretty quick.

EDIT: Damnit, that's what I get for forgetting to check the new page. Oh well...

While we're at money spending tips though, I might as well mention that you shouldn't neglect to upgrade your potions. If you've got a heart medal and can find more hearts that way potions start to take sort of a back seat, but they're still useful. I've started to keep two bottles of improved potions in my pouch wherever I go.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I've yet to feel the need to carry potions but I've always been that way with zelda games. I just carry fairies around and let them heal me automatically when I die.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    As soon as I started using the Sacred Shield I always kept a bottle of improved repairing potion in my pack just in case. I've yet to need it, but that's partly because I'm pretty good at shield bashing when I find it necessary.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I carry one shield potion (un-improved because I never have enough bugs of whatever they need) just in case my shield breaks. Also one fairy, and one empty because you know they're going to ask you to store something in it at some point.

After third dungeon:
    Like the spirit water or pumpkin soup for an earlier example.

Also, apparently I am terrible at shield bashing when it involves anything other than deflecting deku scrub bullets back at them. I've never used the shield in a fight, and I probably should be. I should probably experiment the next time I'm up against a Stalfos, because those guys wrecked me recently. Or the moblins with the huge shields.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Happiness is a Bomb planted firmly at the feet of your Stalfos enemies.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    As soon as I started using the Sacred Shield I always kept a bottle of improved repairing potion in my pack just in case.
    Are you really going to block incorrectly so many times that it'll break before it repairs itself? I found I've never needed the revitalizing potions outside of when I first started playing and didn't have a hang of timing/recognizing enemy cues.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Zephiran wrote:

Oh man, I need to use bombs more often. I love that you can store them now. Also, a bomb for those yellow deku babas is wonderful.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Barrakketh wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    As soon as I started using the Sacred Shield I always kept a bottle of improved repairing potion in my pack just in case.
    Are you really going to block incorrectly so many times that it'll break before it repairs itself? I found I've never needed the revitalizing potions outside of when I first started playing and didn't have a hang of timing/recognizing enemy cues.

Probably not, but it's not like that pouch was going to be taken up by anything more useful and it was nice to have the insurance.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Quick question can you buy that willmotion plus thing you need for the game separate or do i have buy it in a package with something else?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote:
    Zephiran wrote:

Oh man, I need to use bombs more often. I love that you can store them now. Also, a bomb for those yellow deku babas is wonderful.

Yeah, I figured that one out pretty early. It was always the standard way to kill them in ALTTP :) At least, the big ones (which these resembled)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Quick question can you buy that willmotion plus thing you need for the game separate
    Yes. Wal-Mart had them priced at around $17.
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Also, a bomb for those yellow deku babas is wonderful.
    Defend with the shield when it attacks, then do a horizontal slice. 1-hit kill.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Quick question can you buy that willmotion plus thing you need for the game separate or do i have buy it in a package with something else?

You can either buy the motion plus add-on or the motion plus controller seperately.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote:

That's two hits. :P

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote:
    Quick question can you buy that willmotion plus thing you need for the game separate
    Yes. Wal-Mart had them priced at around $17.

The beetle cuts their stems. Screw 'em.

• Options
    I just wish you could give the beetle wheels so you could go around with it hugging the ground. Can you imagine the joy of cutting Moblins feet to make them topple over on their fat ass?

Heh, "Topple", I need to get back to Xenoblade...

• Options
    And this is what I love about Zelda. There's so many ways to handle enemies and they're all valid and creative.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I just realized that the Volcano region is kind a dick. Treasure/item-wise
    Neither dungeon has a treasure held in it. You get the Bomb Bags and the Mogma Mitts from the Mogmas.

The only treasure you take from the Volcano area is a pair of earrings.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Well, Mogmas have their reputation to think of. There is a place with infinite rupees though.
    One of the digging spots underground in, I believe, the Fire Sanctuary yields several red rupees which respawn every time you come back. Shame I already cleaned out Beedle at that point though. It's a bit amusing he keeps coming back every morning even after he has run out of wares to sell.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Chen wrote:
    Well, Mogmas have their reputation to think of. There is a place with infinite rupees though.
    One of the digging spots underground in, I believe, the Fire Sanctuary yields several red rupees which respawn every time you come back. Shame I already cleaned out Beedle at that point though. It's a bit amusing he keeps coming back every morning even after he has run out of wares to sell.

Sweet, where, be specific!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry. I lent the game to a friend because he's a cheap bastard, so I can't check myself, but I believe
    it's in one of the holes right after you obtain the Mogma Mitts. You can't miss it since you have to traverse it at some point.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Are you sure it wasn't just a larger hole? (heh heh)

I've dug into holes that yielded 7 items instead of the usual 3 before.

Technically there are a couple places with infinite rupees, it's just a matter of spending the time.

The most accessible being Link's own closet. Every time you load the game, another 5 or 20 rupees spawns in there.

• Options
    Sorry, I should have been more specific.
    It's in one of the underground areas. The red rupees are sitting neatly in a square and it takes like ten seconds to go up and down to collect them. Beats Fun Fun Island or minesweeper I reckon.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    I like the bamboo cutting for rupees, get lower than 25ish and you get 30 rupees. Can do it over and over.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Too much effort. :P

I like the shooting pumpkin minigame myself, since it's fun to score combos. Get under 400 I think and you get 50 rupees.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, but that's REALLY late-game. At least the cutting game can be farmed as soon as you get off the island.

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • Options
    And faster/easier than going in and out of a dungeon, imo.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Eh. If you spend your rupees wisely you shouldn't have money troubles. The bug medal for example is useless. After some time you can draw on walls every hour to make silver rupees appear. The one outside the Sealed Temple is easily accessible. Rupees are a non-issue. I just found it funny there's an infinite treasure trove in the Mogma's habitat.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png