As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. A veritable buffet of souls!

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    edit: weird double post.

And I see you said you do have the requirements... so ya it might be encumbrance. Its good to shoot for 50% of your total encumbrance if possible... 25% is even more ideal after that. I thought though, if you were past your max load then you couldn't even move.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Tempted.. I have a coupon to get it for 53 bucks after tax. Does anybody know of any better deals?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Tempted.. I have a coupon to get it for 53 bucks after tax. Does anybody know of any better deals?

Game is so damn good that no matter what you pay for it, you are getting the best deal.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I'm at like 12% load... Definitely not it. I think the battle-ax just sucks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular

Besides Kmart with a $20 coupon, Fry's has it for $50 before tax. You could PM Best Buy for it if you have one near a Fry's or buy it off their website since it comes with a $10 GC right now.

• Options
    Can all weapons be wield with one hand potentially? Otherwise, it could be a two handed weapon.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Shady3011 wrote:

Besides Kmart with a $20 coupon, Fry's has it for $50 before tax. You could PM Best Buy for it if you have one near a Fry's or buy it off their website since it comes with a $10 GC right now.

NM, yay can't delete posts.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Someone in the other thread had asked about the symbols below your HP and Stamina bar.

Equipping the Drake Sword gives you +15 to Fire and Damage resistance. That's the blue buff.

If you have the Ring of the Evil Eye equipped, you'll see a grey eye icon. When you kill enemies, you restore a little health. Seems to be a static number that does not scale with the more HP you have.

If you have the Blue Tearstone Ring equipped, when you get low enough in health, a purple icon will show up, and your character will glow with light. Your defense is raised while this is in effect. Truthfully, your HP by this point is low enough that anything will still probably one-shot you. It's not a bad ring to start with, but there's definitely better.

I haven't found any other items that give buffs yet.

That was me, the item and buff in question are:
    The wolf ring and the buff looks like a white shirt. Also while equipped my character radiates a white glow.

I know this is from Page 1, but I didn't see any answer. According to the guide in front of me, the item buff
    raises your poise by 40 points, which is the stat that determines how much attacks stagger you. it's sort of like having heavy armor on, but without the defense, just the stagger resistance.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Working on Quelaag right now. It's just a matter of getting the timing down to avoid her sword swipes, and the goddamn insta-kill move the spider will sometimes do instead of spitting out lava. Uuuuuugh...

On the other hand, I figured out how to traverse the swamp. After Quelaag, I think I'm gonna go hang out in The Great Hollow and Ash Lake, I hear there's some nice stuff down there.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Can all weapons be wield with one hand potentially? Otherwise, it could be a two handed weapon.

After perusing my own armory, I've gathered that some weapons just don't have very pleasant one handed animations even at 40 strength. Some weapons do have disclaimers that they're unbalanced and leave the wielder open to attack, mind. Seems to be something to live with.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Shady3011 wrote:

How do I get the kmart coupon? I signed up for their rewards site, and it is supposed to be there on the site, but I don't see it.

• Options
    SsezzSsezz Registered User regular
    I just shot 70 odd normal arrows at the red dragons tail and nothing happened. It moves after each shot as normal but didn't break. I am a knight and it says I don't have enough dexterity to use it properly but still let's me use it. Does this mean i can fire the bow but the arrows don't do any damage?

I never asked for this
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You were probably doing something like one damage a shot, yeah. Shoot at its face and you'll probably see the number.

Generally the "can't use this" message means the item might as well be broken for all the good it'll do you.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Hmm ok will try to do that now, have to run back just got owned. Been trying to kill that dragon for a fair few hours now....sad face

I never asked for this
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    so

got 25k souls

go to blighttown

first mob knocks me off

fffffffffffffffff

• Options
    Oghulk wrote:
    so

got 25k souls

go to blighttown

first mob knocks me off

fffffffffffffffff

Welcome to the last 4 hours of my Dark Souls experience.

Wait until you get to the swamp.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Shady3011 wrote:

How do I get the kmart coupon? I signed up for their rewards site, and it is supposed to be there on the site, but I don't see it.

It's $20 off a future game purchase, not upfront. You get it when you buy the game. Make sure you give them your temp card or phone number.
    Oghulk wrote:
    so

got 25k souls

go to blighttown

first mob knocks me off

fffffffffffffffff

I've lost like 20k combined from stupid shit as well.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:

It's $20 off a future game purchase, not upfront. You get it when you buy the game. Make sure you give them your temp card or phone number.
    I just called the rewards site and they said that there is no coupon, it's all handled by the PoS when you ring it up and give them your rewards number. Well I guess I'll try to match it anyway at BB and just tell them to call Kmart.

• Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:

I just called the rewards site and they said that there is no coupon, it's all handled by the PoS when you ring it up and give them your rewards number. Well I guess I'll try to match it anyway at BB and just tell them to call Kmart.

They either don't know their own deals or are flat out lying.

http://gamer.kmart.com/2011/09/save-game-10/

• Options
    For anyone who is interested in joining the Chaos covenant:
    After defeating Quelaag, in the room where you ring the bell there's a staircase going down. You come out in a room with a defunct (for now) elevator. In this room there's a breakable wall leading to a secret area with a bonfire and Quelaag's sister. When the servant asks if you are another servant, say yes. Go talk to the spider lady and join her covenant, she will give you the Pyromancy spell Great Chaos Fireball. Pretty neat.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    bwuahahaha didn't actually lose it

got a homeward bone, made my way back, tp'd back to fireshrine with 26k souls

and fuck blighttown, i'ma go to darkroot basin or valley of drakes first

• Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:

I'm logged into and looking at the rewards page right now and I see no coupon.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    What's the deal with some weapons? I picked up a battle axe and it looks like my character struggles to swing it. It's nothing like my hand axe where I can keep swinging until my stamina runs out.

Am I missing some requirement here? I have more than enough Str and Dex to meet the requirements.

Some weapons have greater hit recovery when they miss. It mentions it in the description usually.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

I'm pretty disappointed how people aren't rating messages as much these days. I've been putting down some legitimately good strategies and get nothing out of it.
    Like luring that one super knight on the top of the tower all the way down so he can get roasted by the dragon.

It's just courtesy.

Also do you get anything out of getting rated? I've had some Humanity pop up out of nowhere, so I wonder if that's due to ratings.

sometimes you get humanity randomly from normal enemies, not just rats

Is there a benefit to stack Humanity? The more you have, the more bonus of something you get?

Oh and guys, please put enemy strategies in spoilers. This is meant to be a game you're supposed to mostly figure out on your own. Spoiler tag it for those who aren't desperate (yet) enough to look up strategies.

More Humanity means more and better item drops.

As for rating messages, they're almost all spam. They're not even worth reading much less rating, especially since you can't do anything when the message box is up except run if you get jumped.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:

I'm logged into and looking at the rewards page right now and I see no coupon.

Like I said, you get it when you buy the game since it is for a future purchase. It prints with your receipt.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    That sucks =/

Messages/bloodstains are what got me through demons souls. Of course you never follow a message with no rating, but the high rating ones are usually very useful.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I loved the messages in Demons' Souls too. They were much more verbose and helpful. Dark Souls' messages are just pathetic.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Okay, the swamp area at the bottom of Blighttown is the biggest pile of Fuck You this game has thrown at me yet.

I'm okay with having to sprint in poison water between patches of land. The problem I'm having is you just can't SEE the patches of land you need to find. Even worse is the shit slows you down, so I'll almost make it somewhere and for some reason my character just won't get out of the water. So I get poisoned and have to return to the bonfire. This is so stupid, I haven't died down here but I just can't GET anywhere without getting poisoned.

In my opinion, it's easier just to stay poisoned. It does pitiful damage. Just get where you need to go and heal up once you get there.
    Working on Quelaag right now. It's just a matter of getting the timing down to avoid her sword swipes, and the goddamn insta-kill move the spider will sometimes do instead of spitting out lava. Uuuuuugh...

On the other hand, I figured out how to traverse the swamp. After Quelaag, I think I'm gonna go hang out in The Great Hollow and Ash Lake, I hear there's some nice stuff down there.

Tips for beating that boss, if you want:
    You can actually avoid the sword attack completely if you get very close to her front, just slightly off center. Stay there as much as you can since she mostly uses her sword attack if you're at that range. If she rears up, she's about to do the huge fire explosion. Back out as fast as you can (you really need to be under 50% weight to do it properly). Also, get your shield up. It reduces the damage a lot, though not completely. After that move, you should have time to heal up, even if it knocks you down. Then get back in her face as fast as possible. She very rarely spits lava under these circumstances.

One more tip if you're still having trouble: become human at the bonfire. You'll be attacked by an NPC black phantom. She's really easy, drops a decent axe that gives you 5 health whenever you hit with it. After you've killed her, if you're in human form, you can summon her to help you outside the boss's lair.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    So I go exploring a bit. Find two new bonfires, a spider shield, a fire resistance shield, a magic/divine sword, some crazy enemies and realize how well (if a bit weirdly) the world is build.

Awesome fun!

Got a Bandit Knife +5 currently, how do i raise it above +5?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Is there any reason for me to hang onto items that I won't be equipping? Is there a way to sell them for souls?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Is there any reason for me to hang onto items that I won't be equipping? Is there a way to sell them for souls?

Yes. Later.
    An NPC named Frampt can eat them and give you souls. I don't even know.

• Options
    Is it just me or does the red dragons flame timing keep happening at different times..?

I never asked for this
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Do you interact in any meaningful way with the giganto raven after it drops you off?

Also, any way to keep the wall hanging ghouls from slinking around behind me when I inch along inside the Burg?

Also, if I can be added to the PSN OP. I'm playing.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Man, loving this game. I only recently started playing Demon's Souls just before this released. I for some reason ignored my friend telling me how awesome it was until like a week ago, then was like WTF!? at how fun it is.

This game seems SO huge...

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Oh also, for anyone that needs to farm Green Titanite Shards:

I was grabbing all the extra items in the swamp at the bottom of Blighttown, and I was killing a shitload of leeches because they're all over the place down there. One of the leeches dropped five (!!!) Green Titanite Shards. So, just FYI.

Edit: Green Titanite is for upgrading a weapon that you have changed into a Magic, Fire, or Divine weapon past +5.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    Ok so I got 137 normal arrows and my bf is shooting it's tail. We did like 60 damage to it last time. Does his health regen aswell when u die?

I never asked for this
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    man, that dragon on the bridge fucks me whenever i have to pass him, i fake up the stairs, he sweeps with flame once, I charge out at full speed, and he hits me with another wall of flame insta killing me less than 5 seconds after his first wave..causing me to lose 10k souls..fuck you dragon, you make no sense

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Ahaha never mind the pos's tale broke!! Woop woop

I never asked for this
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    WTF? I'm a Wanderer with light armor on and light weapons and zombies can still out pace me? Doesn't help I need to max my dex for faster rolls (use to tank builds in Demons Souls)...damn it. Next time I'm going in as the crazy naked psycho build. There is that foaming at the mouth barbarian appeal to the look. Screw armor *gibber, gibber, frothy, gibber*

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Screw armor *gibber, gibber, frothy, gibber*

Ahaha so true!

I never asked for this
This discussion has been closed.