As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. A veritable buffet of souls!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Drakes canyon needs the masterkey to get to . you find a locked door in new lodon ruins right near the elevator that the master key can open, and beyond is the valley and that catacombs looking entrance.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:
    Drakes canyon needs the masterkey to get to . you find a locked door in new lodon ruins right near the elevator that the master key can open, and beyond is the valley and that catacombs looking entrance.

Is there a way to get a master key without being a thief or choosing it as a gift?

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Where is drake's canyon? i've been searching for it and can't find it :(

I might be wrong, but I think this is how I got there:
    You have to go down to that ruined underground city area, and then to your right from where you start (I believe) there is a stone tower with an elevator inside that takes you up to Drake Valley or whatever it's called.

I wandered in there after ringing the Parish bell but I didn't want to disturb the dragon and it was late so I just left and went to bed.

Tonight it will be my bitch though.

.....after about 50 lives of it totally kicking my ass, of course.

e: so thoroughly beat'd

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    azith28 wrote:

Is there a way to get a master key without being a thief or choosing it as a gift?

No. It's really the only gift worth taking though so everyone should have it :p

And thanks, once i am off work, to the canyon i go

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

No, there is another way to get there.
    Through the forest. After you fight the second tree monster coming from the undead parish there is a path to your right, follow it down all its switchbacks, jump off two ledges, head right, fight a knight, then there will be a tunnel with a bonfire and further on an elevator that leads to the valley of the drakes. In the valley of the drakes, if you take the path to the left, past the zombie dragon, you can find a cave with some trolls and a chest that has the key to the shortcut to new lodon.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    You dont need a master key. You get a key in blighttown swamps. You can use that key to open the gate.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I know about flasks, are there still herbs in Dark Souls?

I got a tooltip talking about flower bushels that boost healing properties, I believe, so there might be some other form of consumable health item.

Humanity items refill your entire health bar.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I love how you can explore the world in this game in such a large variety of routes.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:

No. It's really the only gift worth taking though so everyone should have it :p

And thanks, once i am off work, to the canyon i go

I picked it because intuition told me it was the best choice. totally sweet bombs were a close second.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Where am I supposed to go after ringing the first bell? Should I go into the woods?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SpicyStacy288SpicyStacy288 Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    Where am I supposed to go after ringing the first bell? Should I go into the woods?

yes!

• Options
    tbloxham wrote:

Multiple paths! For me, I went to the depths.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Huh, I must've missed the second bell in the Depths. I killed the Gaping Dragon and didn't see any other paths. I thought I'd been everywhere down there, but I guess I missed it.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm really getting into this game now. The drake's sword makes it a lot more bearable. Rather than having to whittle down health with my shitty weapons as well as make sure my tactics are sound, making every fight take forever, now I just have to focus on the latter. Also quite glad I rolled thief, i'm abusing the hell out of my mobility and backstabs. I learned about it in the last thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned here yet i'll reiterate.

You can't backstab while blocking. The backstab area is pretty forgiving, but for the longest time I was wondering why I couldn't do it. That was it.

First boss down thanks to the sun npc and another player. I'll probably stick around that area for a while, farming souls to reinforce my weapons and dropping my own soul sign to help folks out.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Huh, I must've missed the second bell in the Depths. I killed the Gaping Dragon and didn't see any other paths. I thought I'd been everywhere down there, but I guess I missed it.

The dragon drops a key. There's a door in the depths that leads somewhere else you should go.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    after hearing so many horror stories of the capra demon, I was expecting more. yeah, took me 5 tries, but he went down simple enough. AI abuse ftw. Alsok, vagina dragon was super easy. summoned sun knight and my first ever real human summon. sun knight died quick but me and other guy cleaned him up, never got touched. Now to blight town!

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    After you kill the dragon and get the key. Go back to the vendor in the dephts. It'll take you to blighttown. You have to trek through Blighttown to get to Queelag. That's where the second bell is

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I hate to mention this right after both of you killed the Vagina dragon(best name for it), but :
    You can cut off his tail for a weapon :(

Robes on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Where is drake's canyon? i've been searching for it and can't find it :(

There's an entrance off the Londo Ruins if you have the thief key, otherwise go down to the green area. The entrance is near a dark knight at the bottom of a winding path down a cliff.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Game is epic, and I love the screw you game design.
    When starting out and then having to fight that Jail demon with a sword hilt. . . I took him down to 80% health before noting a open portal and running through it with 15% of my own health. Later on coming back and drop swording him for 50% of his health with a scimitar. GLORIOUS.

I love how this game gives you a real feeling of achievement with defeating oversized monsters, looking out over expanses of skyline. Dragons swooping over head a fortress township. I loved the witchier II and the writing/voice acting is better. But the souls games some how connect in such a visceral manner.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Just to confirm, you do gain Humanity while your human, right? Also, are rats the easiest way to grind humanity?

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Just to confirm, you do gain Humanity while your human, right? Also, are rats the easiest way to grind humanity?

Yes and yes, although imo it's much more fun to be summoned and kill bosses for people for humanity, you get more souls than rats give you that way too :p

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote:

as far as I've seen, by far. I got 3 humanity off a pack of rats in the sewer.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    So what is this "Farm Spot" I keep hearing about.

• Options
    Which is the closest campfire to the damnable capra demon, I'm currently back running off the one near the undeadburg merchant, but it's such a long run for so many deaths...

• Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    I'm just curious as to what having humanity does? (other then unhollowing your self)

And what does unhollowing yourself do?

AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    tbloxham wrote:
    Which is the closest campfire to the damnable capra demon, I'm currently back running off the one near the undeadburg merchant, but it's such a long run for so many deaths...
    Go to the left of the capra demons white gate. there's a building with a spiral staircase in it. at the top of the stairacase is a (if i recall correctly) a big sewer pipe? look familiar? :)
    Edit: might be to the right of the white gate. I dont remember specifically XD

Robes on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Anyone else fight the hydra yet? I don't think I did it correctly. The fight took me about 45 minutes, and he never hurt me. Was only able to hit him once or twice for 20 damage every time he attacked. On the plus side, I never had to move, so it was super easy!

Yeah, no idea how that fight's actually supposed to go. Oh well.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Any good knockdown/knoclback or status effect Str weapons?
    I'm going to create a pvp asshole build when I play and this determines if I go Dex + spells or Str + spells.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    VanderbrentVanderbrent Registered User regular
    So I just figured out how to properly use the kick action attack :) . Usually I just used it to kick guys off edges, but on non-boss smaller enemies the kick will stagger them if they are blocking. It makes those dam rapier guys in the undead burg so much easier. It's basically kick -> stagger -> I kill them in a flurry.

• Options
    So I just figured out how to properly use the kick action attack :) . Usually I just used it to kick guys off edges, but on non-boss smaller enemies the kick will stagger them if they are blocking. It makes those dam rapier guys in the undead burg so much easier. It's basically kick -> stagger -> I kill them in a flurry.

I must be using it wrong then because when i kick those damned perma-blocking skeletons with spears they just stay blocking and say fuck you to me.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I got lucky with the Gargoyles; summoned two dudes to help me clean house.

I decided to stay the hell away from the cemetery for now, as those fuckers regenerate way too fast; until I have a steady supply of bombs, that's off limits.

So I tried my luck at the dark harbor instead, but it seems only magic can harm ghosts. Farming souls until I get enough to buy the Soul Arrow from the blacksmith.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Probably a stupid question, but is there a way to sprint?

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Dusda wrote:

Hold down circle on ps3..360? who knows

• Options
    Dusda wrote:

Hold down circle on ps3..360? who knows

Hold B on 360.

I hate the capra demon, screw him and his dogs and his unblockable attack. I'm going to go and fight some plant men instead

• Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    I love exploring! I get to find new things...and old things I guess.

Back at the Asylum...
    Holy crap falling through the floor scared the shit out of me, plus huge demon. Urgh! However, after I cleared out everything else in the Asylum, I went back and killed the Stray Demon after about 12 tries. Apparently he's susceptible to bleeding attacks, because every 3 or 4 there'd be a large gout of blood and he'd suddenly have ~1/10th of his life missing. Also ran into my first crystal lizard on the path to the Darkroot Basin. If you miss them, do they respawn? Because I went back after missing it once, and it was there again.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    VanderbrentVanderbrent Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

I must be using it wrong then because when i kick those damned perma-blocking skeletons with spears they just stay blocking and say fuck you to me.

I found that the kick makes the asshole spearmen stagger as well. Maybe you have to hit them at a certain time or right place? After I found out, I just started to kick everything that blocked, and it staggered.

edit: now that i think about it, maybe it has something to do with your str level. Maybe a high str makes you able to stagger people. Mine is 16, and i can get them like every time.

Vanderbrent on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    This didn't turn up today, which makes me angry.

But I'm drunk now so I'll let it slide and go to bed.

Best turn up tomorrow, but I have to go to the doctor's tomorrow. If the postman leaves a delivery note while I'm at the doctor's then I'm going to go to a dark dark place.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    I love exploring! I get to find new things...and old things I guess.

Back at the Asylum...
    Holy crap falling through the floor scared the shit out of me, plus huge demon. Urgh! However, after I cleared out everything else in the Asylum, I went back and killed the Stray Demon after about 12 tries. Apparently he's susceptible to bleeding attacks, because every 3 or 4 there'd be a large gout of blood and he'd suddenly have ~1/10th of his life missing. Also ran into my first crystal lizard on the path to the Darkroot Basin. If you miss them, do they respawn? Because I went back after missing it once, and it was there again.

re:geckos supposedly it's just like demon's souls and they only respawn a limited number of times..i don't know how you managed to miss it once since they move more like tortoises than the roadrunners on crack riding greased lightning that they were in demon's souls :p

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    If they have their shields up (and they do...a lot), it won't affect them at all.

Trust me, I've tried many times on those motherfuckers.

And oh boy do I LOVE it when the one-handed guys start doing their berserk swinging that is very hard to block and takes out like half your health. THANKS!

Can someone photoshop a troll face on one of the enemies?

This discussion has been closed.