As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sword of the Stars II: Broke. Post in new thread.

• Options
    Agent PropagandiAgent Propagandi Registered User regular
    So..did I just waste my money?

Cause it feels like I just wasted my money...

Think of it as a long-term investment.

Those crazy Von Neumanns, they apparently attacked me but I saw nor heard from them for 5 minutes. (I liked the post-battle screen with the text though: Zone Render Here!!!!)

Steam | Origin: AgentProp | Website
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The thing is...it feels overly complicated.

Maybe I'm not used to it yet...but things are taking too long to do.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    jamesra wrote:
    Apparently Steam released the Initial Oct 14th beta build instead of the release build. per Sword of the Stars twitter they are in the process of correcting this. Steam should auto-update to the new version once the upload is done.

Edit:
    Offical info from paradox http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?566854-Official-Info-I
    Manual http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?566832-Manual

If that build is only two weeks old, I'm a long way from filled with confidence. I suspect that we're going to be subjected to a great deal more sighing and eye rolling on the part of the devs, to the effect that its some nerve for us to expect games to arrive on time and in a playable state, and anyway its not their fault its steams fault and don't you know how lucky we are, that people as smart as they are are willing to even let people like us look at their products.

But hey, by next spring, we might well have a playable, enjoyable product.

(I've worked with and for a lot of assholes, and Mecron has shown himself in his forums to be an asshole. No matter how smart the are, assholes are always fuckups, in the end.)

I don't know if it applies to non-MMO development, but most of the MMO games I've tested tend to be bug-filled shitfests all the way up until the public gets its hands on it ("open" beta). Then the patch gets applied and showstopper bugs that testers have been screaming about for months finally get fixed so that the general public doesn't perceive the game as a bug-filled shitfest.

What I'm saying here is to wait until the updated version before preaching gloom and doom.

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The thing is...it feels overly complicated.

Maybe I'm not used to it yet...but things are taking too long to do.

It IS overly complicated. Deploying fleets is.. strange to do. Click destination, then objective, THEN find out who is in range?

Starting ship designs are named in Theme, not by function? That's silly.

It seems you add ships to a fleet by opening the fleet manager, and dragging and dropping? Not from the main UI?

The battle system seems far harder to use as well, I spent half a fight trying to figure out how to tell me ships to close to weapons range on their own. Instead they seemed to want me to micro them into position by hand so they may or may not actually open fire. 5 minutes of combat with 9 cruisers vs 2 cruisers, and I destroyed the mission section of one hostile. I swear the majority of my ships weren't actually firing on the target.

I'm hoping the new build is great, but what I really wanted was Sword of the Stars: with improvements! Not let's reimagine everything from the core UI on down and apparently forget everything we learned making the first one.

edit: and yes, the patch may fix all of this. UI changes are easy to patch usually. I have my hopes up, but if the patch is just a mistaken 2G of data, I also wonder why it's not up yet :P

kildy on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I will admit, I think I might warm to the mission/fleet system. I rarely used more than like 10 active fleets as hivers in SotS1, but there were many reasons to want ships around planets (spare gates, police cutters, etc) and I found it really hard to keep track of where all my ships were. This way I can set some fleets on patrol missions and others on standby and when I need a combat fleet the relocate mission will automatically show all military fleets with no active orders that are available within range (which for hivers is any base with a gate station). The naval base system seems to encourage you to build up military bases where you gather ships to form into fleets and send out on missions, which is appealing both froma macromanagement and a realism perspective.

In short there is a lot of promise to it in my eyes, but I expect it will take a long time to get used to.

Vic on
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I'm coming to like the mission/fleet system as well. I think that it'll make things easier to handle when the late game comes around. Now, how do I optimize rate of exploration...

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm curious as to how dangerous systems are compared to last game. That is kind of vital to know as the hivers.

Vic on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I support the mission deployment screen. It suits the way I usually organize my fleets. (And subsequently forget about them.)

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    4X Chthulu.....I like it

Can I get some pictures of the races and not just their ships?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    http://sots.rorschach.net/File:SotS_elder.jpg
    http://sots2.rorschach.net/The_Liirian_Social_Life

http://sots.rorschach.net/Physiology,_Hiver

Yeah, just check the bars on the left for race lore. There's some really cool stuff.

No magic boolet update yet. I think I'll amuse myself with the manual some.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    "Professor X Psionic Warfare" module.

"Scotsman Engineering" module.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Astns wrote:
    Apparently Steam released the Initial Oct 14th beta build instead of the release build. per Sword of the Stars twitter they are in the process of correcting this. Steam should auto-update to the new version once the upload is done.

Question is how long is the upload gonna take.

The real hope is that the build we have now is some kind of internal stability beta or something. The things wrong with it aren't the sort of things which would be resolved in two weeks, but I think there's a good chance that this is the case. So much of the stuff is so horribly broken and counter-intuitive (no obvious way to delete old ships, escape key doesn't work, no close button on most menu, pressing 'back' sometimes dumps you to the main menu without saving) and the graphics look terrible, much worse than SOTS1.

edit - The controls are also far less intuitive, and it's almost impossible to figure out how anything works espescially in the ship building phase. The 'mission' system is kinda good, but combining the terrible UI with the fact it feels like you're joining the game 30 turns in with three colonies(I hate skipping the early turns, it's probably the decision they've made I dislike the most) it feels almost unplayable.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I don't think people remember just how bad SotS1 was at launch.
    The expansions didn't just add content, they added a user interface that almost worked - and was notably absent from the original title. Shit was dumb.

• Options
    Sokpuppet wrote:
    The expansions didn't just add content, they added a user interface that almost worked - and was notably absent from the original title. Shit was dumb.

Well, yeah, but the game isn't that different. Iteration 1 of the UI should have just been the old UI.

• Options
    You'd hope so.

In other news, the music is FUCKING AWESOME

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So what you're saying is its really great that I don't have money to buy this right now.

Good, I think?

• Options
    Sokpuppet wrote:
    You'd hope so.

In other news, the music is FUCKING AWESOME

Indeed, although it's epicness is truncated by the fact it cuts out at random whenever the game fails to load a missing asset.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote:
    So what you're saying is its really great that I don't have money to buy this right now.

Good, I think?

Yeah, this is a game to buy after you get paid this month.

• Options
    Oh, nice.
    Plenty of new victory conditions - guessing that "last capital standing" will be a godsend to multiplayer games.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    It's going to have been over 6 hours, at best from when they started uploading the correct version to steam to when it's actually going to be available, that's rather sad =/

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I hope hivers work better in the release build. I send a gate fleet out with "Gate" orders. They fly out, drop off a gate ship.. then slow boat back home. And while slowboating home, nobody can gate out to the new system.

edit: interesting, seems like a bug actually. Two turns after saying they were going to take 24 turns to get there and back, they ported to the right places.

kildy on
  • Options
    Has anyone had any luck figuring out how to extend operational range? I've been building Stations, and that seems to do it, but my expansion is so slow.

• Options
    ffff..so they just tweeted that the upload is almost complete..the upload!...wtf are they on a t1? I have updated my prognosis from rather sad to extremely sad at their performance.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Valve also has to test it, then upload it to all their 100's of content servers, then make sure it's not corrupted there... so yeah these things take some time.

• Options
    I don't even know, man

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote:
    Valve also has to test it, then upload it to all their 100's of content servers, then make sure it's not corrupted there... so yeah these things take some time.

Well, the tweet makes it sound like they've just been uploading it to valve for 6 hours, nothing after their upload has happened yet, at least that's how i read "Upload almost complete, short test, then live." Really valve uploading it from central to their content servers shouldn't take long at all though, that's over their core network.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    "Re-posted from the Kerberos forum:

Friday Night Update - Getting things back on track

Postby castewarkp » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:16 am

Hello all! First, thanks for all your patience. Even the people who are miffed, you've been both understandably pissed off AND relatively civil, relatively. And boy, we understand how you feel.

We're uploading the launch build now. Steam is being super awesome about getting it set up, then live. We are hurrying, but we don't want to rush it - rushing got us here and rushing will keep us here, so again, we appreciate the patience.

I'll follow up when everything is live."

which was posted in the last few minutes, so.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Well, I can live with that.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Agent.NihilistAgent.Nihilist Registered User regular
    Last tweet from @Solforce
    @Solforce wrote:
    Upload almost complete, short test, then live. Big thanks for being patient. You'll understand our caution we hope.

<rintaro> Maybe "Coke" doesn't like postings about "Pepsi" on their website?
    <--- Is not Moe
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote:

It was really bad at launch. I thought the combat system was almost unplayable.

Months and months later I had forgotten about the shitty game I played and accidentally played it again, but updated, and it turned out to be good. A lovely sheen was polished onto what had once been an unfaceted turd.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    dear god i had a day of hell... and now the game doesn't work :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Well I'm done playing this incomplete build.

Also, wtf is up with combat? I spend 5 minutes flying around, not seeing anything, and the combat turn ends.

• Options
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    i think its simple, and he likes it. do you know the lore? or did you watch the opening trailer?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stopgap wrote:
    i think its simple, and he likes it. do you know the lore? or did you watch the opening trailer?

I know the lore insomuch as I played countless hours of the first game, but I didn't read any extra random fluff posted on forums/websites etc. That picture just makes no sense to me.

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote:

I know the lore insomuch as I played countless hours of the first game, but I didn't read any extra random fluff posted on forums/websites etc. That picture just makes no sense to me.

Its a Suul'ka, one of the 'Lords of Winter', great big old Liir who reject death and force the other Liir to build them fuck off spacesuits so they don't get crushed to death under their own mass when they get big enough. One created the Zuul to screw with the Morrigi and the others have been flying around screwing things up for everyone with their massive psionic powers.

You can summon them at endgame if you're Zuul.

• Options
    thundercats are Go.

• Options
    Update is dropping!

• Options
    It's sad, but watching it slowly update i can only think "I wish they'd been able to use origin" stupid slow steam download speeds

This discussion has been closed.