As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online Recruitment] Assemble Spaceknights! Your battlesteeds await!

Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
Ye Olde Internet Spaceships Guilde is Looking for New Spaceknights

qsjebn.gif

Are you looking for a new game to play? Tired of playing by your lonesome in front of the game console? Looking for something to pass the time and for not a lot of money? Are you a fan of space ships, explosions, player on player combat, running missions and getting paid for your efforts? If you’ve answered yes to any of these above statements then you really need to get a life. But in the mean time you’re welcome to come hang out with us!

Merch Industrial is a long time group of players who play EVE Online. We fly around in space ships, mine asteroids, run missions, and are militant in our resolve to hold our space and take yours. We originally hail from the Penny Arcade and think of this as our ancestral home, and as such we find it is the best place to recruit new potential pilots. Whether you are a novice or a veteran of EVE Online we welcome you to join our ranks of pilots.

For those who do not know, EVE Online is an online space Massively Multiplayer Online world with a “sandbox” style of game play. With over 5,000 star systems in one persistent galactic world server, what You as the pilot do affects all of the rest of the world and what we do together will have powerful effects on how the game play changes over time. Be that pilot that stakes a claim to his or her own mining or production colony on a world on the fringe of space. Or be that pilot that takes that other pilot’s lunch money. You’re free to be as reputable, or as evil as you wish to be. In this game you will find all updates and upgrades to the game are 100% free, with only a monthly payment to be obtained, and if you are productive enough, you might even be able to play for free.

It's also a very easy game to play while playing other games, since there are occasional lulls of inactivity while waiting for all hell to break loose. What I'm trying to say is you can play EVE and still have *plenty* of time for Skyrim.

Recent EVE Trailers
"I was There"
"Incursion"
"Tyrannis"
"Causality"
"Dominion
"Forever"
Things to do in EVE

32VQr.jpg

• Run fleets of small gangs through the home space of our mortal foes and irritate them
• Be a galactic garbage man and get rich off scooping other people's trash! (seriously)
Help kill ships worth more than your car
• Be a Space Priest by flying logistics ships and be the favorite hero of the swarm
• Shoot lasers at rocks and get rich while swapping old-timey stories around the Crokite belts
• Explore Wormholes and Ancient Technologies and shoot the horrible people who live therein
• Become a market tycoon and BE the 1% (in space)
• Convince dumb empire dwellers to give you money just because you say so as a scammer

We have long time pilots looking for an excuse to show off their knowledge of the game, more than willing to help newer players learn the tools they’ll need to succeed. Our alliance has the best wiki source of information on the game, arguably better than that of the game’s own creators. With access to ship designs, character creation strategy, production information, and much much more you’ll find yourself prepared for any activities you’re looking to do. And with a large alliance of players you’ll always find someone to fly with and many ongoing operations to join and tag along.

With very little training time at all, your brand new character can be the turning point for a major engagement, your lone newbie ship can help bring down much older characters flying far more expensive toys and have fun while you’re at it. With fleet reimbursements we have means of paying for new ships for the ones you lose in battle for the greater good of the alliance, and with active members in all time zones you’ll have people of similar game times for European, Oceanic, and American to play with.

Your style of game play is completely open to whatever you wish to do, some prefer to build equipment and ships while mining the materials from the raw resources of the game. Others prefer to collect bounty prizes on pirates and other players, collecting your riches from the corpses of the deceased by your hand. Many are explorers, searching an ever growing galaxy for trinkets and rarities left from eons past. Some will make their riches buying and selling items, looking for that next big score to invest in. And some will prey upon the week of mind, whisper sweet nothings in the ear of the unsuspecting, taking them for however much they are willing to give.

Returning Pilots

bI9MA.png

Good news! CCP has actually managed to find their ability to make spaceship games through the use of both hands, a flashlight, and a threadnaught on the official EVE-O forums after a series of horrible managerial missteps over the past year. While the two primary exports of Iceland remain volcanic ash and programming errors, at least there is a ray of sunshine poking through the ash cloud and shining on CCP HQ.

New and Upcoming Cool Stuff!

• Super Caps are getting nerfed pretty heavily, especially Super Carriers. This means that sub cap fleets will once again reign supreme in space warfare
• Delve is burning… Again. We're currently engaged in a conflict to turn all of Delve into an NPC region and finish it off once and for all
• Blasters are getting worked on, finally. If you're space french there may be some reason to rejoice.
NEW TIER 3 BATTLE CRUISERS. That's right. Actual new ships. They're Battle Cruiser hulls that fit Battleship sized guns. Think about that for a second.
• Other promised ship upgrades in the winter expansion - most sub caps are getting buffed.
• We've embarked on financial warfare with the rest of eve by strangling the supply of Gallente Ice. This may not sound exciting, but it means the alliance will PAY YOU to suicide gank pubbies mining ice in high sec.

Joining Merch Industrial:

ED6th.png
• If you know someone who plays already, ask them to refer you using their EvE account and you get an extended trial, and that person gets 30 days free if you subscribe. (seriously, just ask in the thread, 30 day game time items are trading in EVE at around 275 million ISK each. You'll get hooked up for it.)
• Find a friend with Steam/Access Steam for a free 21 day trial.
• Create a trial account by going to http://www.eve-online.com and registering a new account
• Reactivate your old account

1. Download the Game Client HERE

2. Create your character. Race/Background really doesn't matter much anymore. All of the stats have been balanced to be equal at creation and you get to remap twice during your trial period (which you'll do, I'll tell you about it later.

3. DO THE TUTORIAL. I repeat. DO THE TUTORIAL. The basic tutorial is about 1-2 hours or so long and it covers the most basic of functionality in the game. If you’re the type with adolescent or adult ADHD that never reads the manuals and always skips cut scenes in favor of the ‘I’ll figure it out’ mentality, take a Xanax, put down the mellow yellow and monster energy drink then, DO THE FUCKING TUTORIAL. The tutorial will cover many aspects of the game styles of play and train you well for your future careers in game as well as help you to acquire skills, currency, and ships.

How Skills Work
wiki: https://wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php?title=How_do_skills_work_in_EVE?
This is the 'level up' mechanic in EVE. Understanding this, even a little will help make your trial loads more fun. Believe me, the first time I played I trained bullshit for like 10 days and then realized I couldn't actually 'do' anything, meanwhile my friends were making (what I thought was) all kinds of cash and flying cruisers while I was still in newbie frigates.

4. Return to this thread and Post your Character’s Name, let us know that you are interested in the game and wish to join with us. While Docked in station press the “People & Places" button on the left side of the screen or by hitting Alt + E. This will bring up a new window, next there is a drop down option at the top, change this to “Corporation” and then type “Merch Industrial” in the text box to the right. Search for our corporation, right click the Merch Industrial option and (Show Info)…. You will then see more detailed information about the corporation as well as an option at the bottom right (Apply to Join). During the application please also list your PA forum name so we can better track who to look for via this thread.

If you have not received a reply or have been accepted into the corporation after 48 hours, send a brief in-game EVE Mail to Random Gen, Merch Industrial’s director of recruitment, or PM Just Some Dude on these forums. Rejections are 95% of the time due to not putting your PA forums handle in your application or not including your EVE name in your post here. If you have no such message and really *are* a special snowflake who was rejected against the will of the creator of life, the universe and everything, you can appeal to Random Gen via EVE Mail but don't get your hopes up.

5. Register a forum account at http://forums.merchindustrial.org under your exact EVE pilot’s name. Repeating that since it seems to be hard for people: REGISTER ON THE MERCHI FORUMS UNDER YOUR EXACT EVE CHARACTER'S NAME. Do not use your PA forums name (if different from your EVE pilot). Post to introduce yourself, remark on how awesome the forums are now, visit off-topic for some truly horrible posting. We've revamped a couple sections and it should be much easier for newbies to find the sections for skills, ships and fittings and our mentor program.

6. Useful Information:
A. Once accepted you should click on the Corporation button and check under Bulletins for useful information. DO NOT REPLY TO ANY CORP OR ALLIANCE MAIL. A reply to any corp-wide or alliance-wide mail is sent to every person in the respective organization. In fact, don’t send any mail for the first couple weeks. Failure to comply with this will cost you 100 million in fines and you’ll be forced to sing

B. Don't call it a guild, we are a Corporation. Do not call your character a toon, and no it's not like WoW at all, don't even try to make an analogy along those lines. Most of the players in EvE are either WoW refugees/post-addicts or never played it and never want to hear about it. Any or all of the above will get you shot.

C. Use Corp chat, Use it often. We love newbies. We'll give you money if you ask for it. We'll help you get to wherever we're at or show you the ropes. You just have to ask. Whenever you log in, chat it up with us. EVE is a miserable game to play by yourself. It can be the most amazing experience you've had behind a keyboard with some friends though.

7. Spy clause: You will be called a spy. You are a spy. We know you’re a spy and it’s only a matter of time until we catch you in your spying ways. Thick skins are expected. If you are a big softy, a pansy, and do not have a thick skin, don't apply. You will be mocked, you will be called a spy, you will read words you never thought you'd see in chat windows, you will see every racial and ethnic slur used hourly and it will offend all of your pseudo-PC space bushido e-honor sensibilities. Four letter word: cope. When you die and lose all your stuff you will be laughed at. Life is hard, and so is EVE.

Cog in the machine Cog Herder
Just Some Dude on

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    I endorse this product and or service!

But seriously... come chill with merchi... :CCP: is actually working on making this a fun game!

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Spaceknights?

Will we exchange our fragile human flesh for cyborg battle armor, then fight Dire Wraiths throughout the galaxy, occasionally pausing to mope about our situation?

Will we mack on Earth females after said Dire Wraiths kill their fiances?

If so, well, color me interested.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I kinda miss playing Eve :(

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ToyDToyD Registered User regular
      Me too. These new ships an capital rebalancing have my subscribe finger all twitchy. Then I remember all the other games that just came out. If CCP can keep up this Flying in Space initiative and roll another good patch, I may succumb.

Who's running MerchI now anyway?

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Crazy49erCrazy49er Registered User regular
      edited November 2011
      ToyD wrote:
      Me too. These new ships an capital rebalancing have my subscribe finger all twitchy. Then I remember all the other games that just came out. If CCP can keep up this Flying in Space initiative and roll another good patch, I may succumb.

We're a corporation full of overweight internet spaceship pilots.... no one knows how to run. We may briskly waddle over to our destination if we feel it important enough.

Crazy49er on
      Nova Incantus
      Merch Industrial - An EVE ONLINE community
      Need to know more? Just ask
    • Options
      runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
      Oh, and for those of you who haven't played since 2009 or so: lag is much better now.

• Options
      Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular

the alliance is so rich and reimbursements so good i actually don't think the game will ever be less hassle to play

• Options
      Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
      In case you're waiting for SW:TOR or something and don't want to pay for multiple subscriptions, note that you can pay for game time with in-game currency. It doesn't take a lot of training or effort to generate enough space income to play for free. Planetary Interaction (farmville in space) for example is fairly lucrative and requires very little training; aside from scamming, it's probably the best source of income for a new player until you can fly something that can kill NPC's in 0.0 space efficiently. It will also get you addicted to alts, a common affliction among EVE players.

If you join now, you'll have enough training time to fly something fun when the winter patch is released and all hell breaks loose.

MSL59.jpg
    • Options
      Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
      ToyD wrote:

This was posted and seems relevant:
      5BOHS.png

Cog in the machine Cog Herder
    • Options
      RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
      Interested in playing this game?
      Special new guy offer:
      Send me a PM with your e-mail address. I will send you a trial invite for 21 days. If you activate off that first month normally I would get either a PLEX or 30days of game time (PLEX is used to buy 30days worth of game time), and I will give you the PLEX. So basically for activating the game, you'll get 81 days of game time. I have 50 invites I can give out a month. Come fly with us!

PSN: jfrofl
    • Options
      Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
      Come join us, I am sure some calamity will occur in three weeks and we will be forced to flee Battlestar Galactica style. Living out of badgers, jump freighters, and temp POSes like the space hobos we are. Things have been to good for it not to be so.

• Options
      TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
      nothing wrong with living like a space hobo, i did that shit way back when before players could build stations in every 0.0 sector, it didn't help that I was kos to basically everyone there too.

working off outlaw status in angel space in a retribution takes true lack of life.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    • Options
      Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
      ...I'm in. I think.

I never played an MMO. Monthly subscriptions scare me.

But my buddy has been all up in my ass to play EVE, so! May as well join you guys, right? :D

Looking on Steam, I just see EVE Incarna. That the one I want?

Oh brilliant
    • Options
      Looking on Steam, I just see EVE Incarna. That the one I want?
      Yes!

• Options
      Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
      I'll totally take the 21 day trial. I tried to play this back in the day with a crappy computer and lag was horrible. I've upgraded and apparently the horrible lag is manageable now, so I'm willing to give it another go

• Options
      Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
      Can I still have a free trial if I buy it on Steam? How does it work?

If I have a free trial off you, will I still have the game on Steam? Cheers. :3

Oh brilliant
    • Options
      AnehiiAnehii Registered User regular
      edited November 2011
      ;
      Can I still have a free trial if I buy it on Steam? How does it work?

If I have a free trial off you, will I still have the game on Steam? Cheers. :3

You do the trial for eve before you buy it off steam (you can also just buy it off the eve online website). If you still need a 21 day trial, PM me and I will get it to you.

Anehii on
    • Options
      BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
      Who broke the goddamned PA forums? Been so long since I posted here. My eyes hurt.

Anyway: Yes. You. Dude who's never played Eve before. This game sucks so bad is good. If you enjoy tears of the moronic, massive space battles followed by hilarious cacophonies of catchphrases, if you are insidious with a silver tongue and enjoy taking fools for all they are worth, if you enjoy optimizing ship loadouts and then pitting them against swarms of dribbling fools, if you like shooting at rocks for profit, if you enjoy games with a metagame so thick it's dangerously close to real, if you have a goddamned imagination...then Eve is for you.

Fair warning: Have a thick skin. If the steep learning curve doesn't eviscerate you, then the people in your own Corporation will.

Join Merch Industrial, and her small swarm of Fleshreapers in the fight to dominate New Eden, and terrorize it's people. Get to Mittanigrad, your Skymarshal needs you!

Tttnl.jpg

• Options
      LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
      edited November 2011
      EVE Online has supplied most of my fondest gaming memories from the last four years.
      - Setting up in lag-ridden systems hours before the big fight and watching as the reds pile into the system in the calm before the storm
      - warping on top of enemy fleets while frantically looking for signs of being called primary and trying to remember to shoot the primary yourself and oh god someone's targeting me I need to get aligned where the hell is the nearest edge of this bubble?
      - that one time dbrb said he was working on a "secret" and we ended up killing a titan
      - playing warp-tag with a tengu fleet only to fail on the last warp and watch in sadness as the half the fleet that aligned a half second slower died.
      - the first successful conquest of Delve - fleet battles in the afternoon followed by convoys in the evening in an insane all-in rush culminating in the hilarious month-long camp of PR-

It is a game that is simultaneously awful and wonderful, and I feel is the only MMO that really even attempts to realize what the genre is capable of. The boring shit is easier to justify if you think of it not so much as a game but as real life in space. Bit niche maybe, but so worth getting into if sandboxes and spaceships are your thing. It doesn't demand insane gobs of time the way other MMO's do.

LoneIgadzra on
    • Options
      When you guys join up with MerchI, make sure you get into something active. Ask in corp chat, or something. There's usually always something to do, and its usually fun.
      Don't know what the hell you're doing? Join a fleet anyways. You'll be handed a Rifter, you have the possibility to do something goddamn amazing for the rest of the fleet, and usually you can earn some cash monies as well.
      Well, not so much earn, but you will be given some anyways.
      If there aren't any fleets going on, ask if anyone wants to do a roam in alliance chat.
      If you aren't into pvp, there are a few new guy options for earning money. Ask if there is anyone ratting, and if they mind you tagging along and salvaging stuff. Or mining ops seem to be a thing now.
      Given out a few invites so far, hope to see a few more.

• Options
      rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
      See I'd apply but my corp history is sooo long and soo full of people that you hate, and goons are kinda jerks.

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
    • Options
      smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
      Sup guys you should all join Merch and then post in off-topic where I am *literally* the king. You see I know a thing or two about posting

• Options
      GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
      Come play EVE, and I'll kill you with my super cap before they get nerfed. Free of charge, just as a "welcome to EVE, you scrub" present.

Sagroth wrote: »
      Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
      Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    • Options
      GnomeTank wrote:
      Come play EVE, and I'll kill you with my super cap before they get nerfed. Free of charge, just as a "welcome to EVE, you scrub" present.

Are you actually playing again?

• Options
      GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
      smokmnky wrote:
      GnomeTank wrote:

Are you actually playing again?

Sort of, yes. I mean, I fly a super..."playing" is a relative term. I login, and POS spin my ship from time to time, and do a lot of Jabber watching.

Sagroth wrote: »
      Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
      Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    • Options
      scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
      Yes, let's all play Eve Online. Great thread.

• Options
      LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
      So I haven't played since Merch lived in EPR0S, but I've been being tempted again. Is the game more fun? If I rejoin, should I use my old character or a new one?

• Options
      rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
      old char, if you start new you will lose all your old skills

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
    • Options
      Didn't they redo things to like accelerate new character's development a lot?

I guess I was flying battlecruisers before, probably they didn't accelerate them that much.

• Options
      TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
      edited November 2011
      Oh wow, wrong thread.

TOGSolid on
      wWuzwvJ.png
    • Options
      ThisThis Registered User regular
      I've always been fascinated by this game, and one time spent about 30 hours straight reading archived forum threads about ponzi schemes or something. It was absolutely captivating. Then I tried a free trial, played it for about half an hour, and uninstalled.

• Options
      This wrote:
      I've always been fascinated by this game, and one time spent about 30 hours straight reading archived forum threads about ponzi schemes or something. It was absolutely captivating. Then I tried a free trial, played it for about half an hour, and uninstalled.

Clearly you didn't join up with Merch because flying alone is lame
      Lykouragh wrote:
      So I haven't played since Merch lived in EPR0S, but I've been being tempted again. Is the game more fun? If I rejoin, should I use my old character or a new one?

Always use your old character because most skills are universal (i.e. support skills to make your capacitor use less when going to warp) regardless of the ship you fly. Even if you have to spend a month to fly the shinny new Battlecruisers or whatever at least you don't have to spend 2 months being able to fit it properly

• Options
      Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
      Lykouragh wrote:

For one thing, learning skills were removed and refunded, so when you log in with your old char you'll have tons of extra skillpoints to spend as you please.

Also there will be new, shiny battlecruisers in the winter patch. Vertical battlecruisers.
      This wrote:

That's not surprising, starting out in EVE can be a pretty miserable experience if you're playing on your own. You can't really do anything at that stage. Although, to be fair, the game is much more accessible now than it used to be. Still, anyone who tries out EVE would be better off joining MRCHI and moving to our space as soon as possible. Everything is easier and more fun when you're in a corp (which in turn is part of a super-rich alliance), plus MRCHI and Goonswarm are pretty entertaining communities. There are several fleet ops every day, and everybody loves newbies so you can start joining fleets on day one and never worry about fucking up.

MSL59.jpg
    • Options
      BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
      Usually you will be showered in isk if you fuck up as a newbie.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    • Options
      Guys, you can finally drag and drop items and targets in any order! http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3108

• Options
      I did end up resubbing, assuming that I've been booted out I'll be reapplying. My character name is Lykourgos Anneal.

• Options
      SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
      Getting back into eve after a long hiatus. Every time I play I seem to join a shitty corp, leave it, then train skills for a while inching ever so closely to nice ships n' guns. This doesn't seem like a shitty corp though. My character name is Unicycle Theory

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    • Options
      EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
      edited December 2011
      I resubbed as well, after about a two year break, figured I'd take advantage of the $5 for a month deal.

Ellthiteren on
    • Options
      General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
      Hmmm... I was already planning on resubbing after seeing the new T3 BC's. This will definitely make me when I get the money. By the way, excellent name.

Expect an application soon.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
      registered on the forums with forum handle as an accident, felt like a dumbass. Remade an account with my game name without activating the other one.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    This discussion has been closed.