As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Duty] Old Thread Is Old Use New Thread

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    sPider817 wrote:
    Get online, and I don't even know if the sale is still going on.

Baby duty.

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    No 360?

• Options
    joshgotro wrote:
    No 360?
    I was blindly clutching for the first weapon I could grab. And I'm way classier than that. Thanks to the adrenaline, I made that headshot.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I gotta try out C4. It looks pretty badass...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Can we have a grown-up conversation for a bit? There's been something that's been bothering me now for a while, and I don't think it's been discussed here on the boards. If it's already been brought up and discussed, sorry, but it's sort of come to a boil with me, and I need to discuss it with other people in the community. You guys are familiar with Woodysgamertag, obviously; he's been in the commentary scene for quite a while, and he's got a staggering subscription base. Well, it's been a few weeks ago now, but he and Wings did a stream where they started talking, for whatever reason, about which would be worse: for a guy to get beaten up, or for a woman to be raped? And Woody came out and basically said that it would be worse for a man to be beaten up, because women are "built for it" (talking about rape).

That's probably the single most disgusting, ignorant thing I've ever heard another person say. And I hang out on 4chan, so that's really saying something. I cannot, in good conscience, like or link any fucking clips that Woody posts from here on out. I don't care what he has to say, because he won't even apologize for what he's said. It's mentioned in the video I'm about to link, but the only thing Woody's done is say "thank you" to all the people who've defended him.

Fuck that guy.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about the topic. Not, like, the question that they asked, but about the power and influence these YouTube guys wield, and the responsibility they have to not say stupid shit like this. The majority of Call of Duty players are just kids, and it's not cool to tell a bunch of kids that women are built for rape.

To be totally honest, I'm ashamed to be a part of the same community as these guys.

Anyway, here's a video response on the subject for MiracleOfSound (the guy who does all the cool video game songs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWhFnZVygWM&feature=plcp&context=C38530d6UDOEgsToPDskItcEaW3O6-JGipzX7v05aQ

• Options
    edited February 2012
    7SDtg.jpg

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    People aren't perfect. If he's really not sorry for his statement after reflection he is a horrible person.

Of course people overlook shit all the time if someone is "cool" or "famous".

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    joshgotro wrote:
    People aren't perfect. If he's really not sorry for his statement after reflection he is a horrible person.

Oh, I totally agree. People aren't perfect. Everyone says stupid shit sometimes. But, and I'm just paraphrasing what Miracle said in the video; when you've got 700,000 young people subscribing to your channel, you have a responsibility to watch what the fuck you say. Telling an audience, of any size, that women were built to be raped, is about the most horrible way I can imagine someone using the soap box they've been given. It's been a month, and he hasn't apologized for it, as far as I'm aware. I know he put out a statement telling everyone who supported him that he really appreciated it. But that's it.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    How was this not pushed to a news network to exploit for ratings?

• Options
    Think about it.
    "People that play Call of Duty condone rape?! Jimmy, no more Call of Duty for you!"
    All of a sudden, XBOX Live becomes a haven free of prepubescent screech weasels. In theory, anyways.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The best way to get back on track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfVfbq0QxNM

Now I'm not asking for MW2 noob tubes, but come on, this is way too fucking stupid. Like, why is Blast Shield even a fucking option in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ2RXHcgnUQ

As for the Woody rape thing, let me say that I'd rather get beaten up by another guy if it means stopping a woman getting raped. Those guys are unbelievably fucking stupid and ignorant. *sigh*

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    I stopped watching Woody's videos when they turned into some kind of teen helpline for all the 14-year-olds who play COD and want advice on life problems.

• Options
    Im asking for MW2 toobz. DC isnt in the game, and neither is OMA so there shouldn't be an issue.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Spoilered for not being totally about COD while still having to do with the COD community
    I actually listened to that podcast. And he asked which is more difficult to recover from, a woman being raped or a man being beaten to death, but survives. While he's idiotic for bringing up rape in a discussion with just guys, they actually discussed it well, for who they were. I knew people were going to latch on and talk about how woody says rape isn't bad, etc

He was asking for thoughts basically, on why we automatically think rape is worse than being assaulted. If you take sexual assault out of it, which is worse, a man being beaten to death or a woman being beaten to death? Rape is bad full stop. Both assaults are bad full stop. Obviously, almost everyone thinks being raped is worse than being "beat up." Because everyone on the podcast, woody included, would offer to be beat up to prevent a rape.

I had a question, and it's probably not good for here, but would you cut your legs off to stop a rape?

Now, the rest of their discussion (the built for it) part was idiotic on the level of "rape doesn't hurt." But you can have a conversation and discussion online and not be a terrorist or whatever. Why do we have this obsession with people saying what they understand/believe and then crucifying them for just talking? It was a discussion point. The real point is that both things are atrocious, but regular violence has been so desensitized that it takes something extreme (sexual assault) to get us up in arms. (55:28)

I mean, there's a reason there aren't any women in COD. It's because "regular" violence is okay, right?

They're talking about a guy who is beaten up by 7 people.
    Then they ask what's harder to recover from.
    Then he says, it's usually the mental issues that women have to recover from, I might not walk away physically damaged but it will fuck with my head.

So yes, he's stupid. Physical damage results from some rapes. All statistics are made up on the spot, but some rapes become rapes after the fact, not during (they bring this up, too).

Also, I got about 1/2 through MoS's rant before I had to turn it off. I get anger, but it undermined what he said. The tchcking sound through me through the roof.

Also, also, listen to their podcast more, they say way dumber shit.

belligerent on
  • Options
    You're right in saying that both examples are terrible. Being beaten to the brink of death, and losing your "manhood", or a woman being raped ... I mean, they're both terrible, no matter how you slice it. What bothers me is that rape is being brought up in a "Would you rather"-style conversation, which is just utterly tasteless and awful, and the whole "women are built for it" shit. I know that people say dumb shit off the cuff, but indicating, on any level, that women are "built" to be raped, is just fucking terrible. Just because they have vaginas that were biologically-designed to accept a penis, doesn't mean ... fuck, I mean, do I seriously even need to argue this point? I have a penis that was biologically-designed to enter a vagina, but that doesn't mean I'm "built" to rape.

As to the whole, "Would you cut your legs off to stop a rape?" thing goes, I think the answer is yes, without a doubt. I think rape is probably the most heinous, terri-bad thing that one person can do to another person, and I feel pretty comfortable saying I'd risk my life to stop any single instance of it, if I had that ability within my power.

Don't get me wrong, man, I see and understand the point you're making, but I cannot and will not defend Woody on this.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Oh hai rape thread

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Anyways, it was an interesting topic of conversation, and while it didn't have much to do with call of duty, it was done by CoD commentators.

Life is so boring, sometimes volatile conversations are nice.
    I do agree with him, to a point about desensitizing different forms of violence. I could link a video right now of a man being shot to death on youtube. How fucked is that?

belligerent on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Let's discuss my sweet videos I just posted in place of rape. How 'bout that quad spray with the "balanced" FMG9's. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Arming distance for the tube? I mean... the game is the same. Looking forward to the new map pack, so more of us can play together.

I might try mw2 tonight. We'll see. I mean, I went 57 n 4 and I can't be arsed to commentate over it because it's so boring. 3 ac-130's earned and, meh.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Woody talk. Avert your eyes if you like fun.
    Firstly, I think this was a long time coming. I thought Woody was a pretty cool guy but when you have so many loving, adoring teenage boy fans, and a podcast where the norm is outlandish conversation and views...well it's easy to feel safe to say some pretty outlandish shit.

For starters, Woody expressed himself really badly. As in, the difference between saying "hi" to a cute girl at a bar and saying "I want to fuck you". What I think Woody was trying to bring up was something like what I'll call "victimisation". Basically, is there a difference between a man victimising you sexually (as a girl) versus physically (as a guy)? In the end they stretch the comparison to "mild sexual assault versus absolutely totally beat down with no chance" to make that point. Which I can kinda-sorta see.

But I've known some guys who've been beaten and some girls who've been raped and in the real world I honestly don't see the comparison. If there is a comparison then there's no comparison, know what I mean? Rape wins out.

But again, the real problem is PKA is a podcast where they talk about some really sick shit. The latest podcast jokes about cooking babies - not cool, and I usually like dark humour. Like Woody says in the rape podcast: "That's what we do in PKA. Welcome to the show. Touchy subjects are us baby!" Having listened to a few it always seemed like the least cool thing to do in PKA was admit you were uncomfortable. In that environment this kind of shit is bound to happen.

Also, miracleofsound's tl;dr "don't tell an audience of young boys that rape is IN ANY WAY COOL". When you know who's listening you have to watch what you're saying.

But getting back to CoD: tonight my friends and I tried to see if we could stretch out a whole game by hiding together and having the enemy look for us. We didn't quite make it, but it was hilarious seeing pubs run right past for at least half the game before cottoning on. We really need to do this some time.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think assassin is a fine thing, if you use it to get out of being spawn trapped. I can't figure out how to break some of the spawn traps though.

Spawn trapping is awful.

• Options
    Assassin is the best perk and I love it.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I think assassin is a fine thing, if you use it to get out of being spawn trapped. I can't figure out how to break some of the spawn traps though.

Spawn trapping is awful.

Hug the sides, take the road least travelled, flash (or smoke) out then charge. I haven't met a trap that was hard to break.

Keeping that trap broken - that's harder.

And yes, assassin is a great way to not be a fish in an arcade-shooting-gallery-barrell. Like it's supposed to work.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    MNC Dover wrote:
    Let's discuss my sweet videos I just posted in place of rape. How 'bout that quad spray with the "balanced" FMG9's. :D

It was pretty good, I got a clip of a quad myself today, preceded and followed by a double kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXMXOq8N09Q

Of course I didn't even have the challenge for Grim Reaper unlocked yet, also if you are wondering why I'm hiding in the grass waiting for the enemies coming at me,
    my Portable Radar had just hinted that I'm being flanked by 2 dudes, I love that thing, fuck Flashbangs in comparison.

As for FMG9 sprays how about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FSpPr9NiRU

MP9 is my new baby though, it doesn't have the extreme lethality of the FMG9's but it can actually hit stuff mid range.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There is something deeply ironic about complaining that Assassin let someone kill you through a spawn trap.

I would like to use Overkill to have the MP9 as my primary and akimbo FMG9s as my secondary. That seems balanced right?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well you could just use an MP7 with akimbo FMG9s if thats your thing, that would be pretty close really.

EDIT: I cant wait to unlock C4, I've decided thats the thing I'll be running next, along with Portable Radar.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Ganluan wrote:
    There is something deeply ironic about complaining that Assassin let someone kill you through a spawn trap.

Thumbs up.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Anyways, it was an interesting topic of conversation, and while it didn't have much to do with call of duty, it was done by CoD commentators.

Life is so boring, sometimes volatile conversations are nice.
    I do agree with him, to a point about desensitizing different forms of violence. I could link a video right now of a man being shot to death on youtube. How fucked is that?

Oh, hi, I heard you guys talking about m.... oh, uh, just... just carry on here.

What the hell happened here?!

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Black Ops is going to set up a new 24/7 playlist and you can vote for the map. Although already the clear winner is Firing Range. I think I'll have to throw Blops in for some of that action. Sweet, sweet Firing Range.

http://www.facebook.com/codblackops

Magell on
  • Options
    When does this months goodies come out?

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote:

April 14th

• Options
    iRevert wrote:
    joshgotro wrote:

April 14th

Thanks for being completely useless.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The more I think about it, the sillier the elite content is...

Its basically 1-1 1/2 map packs spread out over 9 months. BLOPS had what.. 3/4 map packs. And they contained 4 maps and a zombies map. The elite stuff is like... two maps or a map and a spec ops mission. I mean, I didn't actually pay my own money for the sub so I can't be too annoyed I guess.

Edit: Bah ha ha! I couldnt find a release date for Feb, but the elite content for this month is one map

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That's from the same guy who convinced a lot of folks that activision had secret non elite DLC they were hiding to screw over people who bought elite. So yeah.

That was about Tibly's response.

jonny439 on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    @Skullovitch

All the maps are zombie maps in MW3. Yes I know it's not the same but I'd rather play survival than zombies any day so it does to me.

So 9-12 maps over four dlc packs. Or 12 maps over nine months that can be played in survival, plus more Spec Ops if that's your thing, and whatever is classified on the list.

and it's cheaper.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    jonny439 wrote:
    That's from the same guy who convinced a lot of folks that activision had secret non elite DLC they were hiding to screw over people who bought elite. So yeah.

That was about Tibly's response.

I bet he's still worried about it too.

Edit: Damnit jonny.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    There you go, ducks, He apologized.

http://youtu.be/XZ9xXPRNjFI

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There you go, ducks, He apologized.

http://youtu.be/XZ9xXPRNjFI

I love how the first question he reads is:

"When I was twelve I was mugged by three guys and ever since I have had little to no confidence. When someone laughs I automatically think its aimed at me.I am sick and tired of this and I was wondering if you could help.I even joined your livestream and didnt have the confidence or nerve to talk.thanks Woody. Keep up the good work."

Jesus Christ, he's not your father. He's not Doctor Phil. He's just a guy who plays Call of Duty.

And then he gets asked about contraception.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Now if only people wouldn't look for life advice from some dude who plays CoD and uploads the gameplay to youtube.

This discussion has been closed.