Options

Video Game Industry Thread: December's done, time for the next one

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    Bizazedo wrote:
    It's hilarious, you really don't have any idea why people got upset, do you.

I don't understand why people are upset. I really don't.

Let's make it simple. No one, not even the originator of this (Dave), is upset about not getting a controller for Christmas. Annoyed, perhaps, but would have kept it to himself because hey, shit happens.

Everyone is upset because of the extremely poor customer service provided when Dave tried to find out when the item would ship. At first he got vague, nonhelpful answers. I mean, the first was an outright lie (if "December 17th" was even the ship date. It could have been anything). Then he started to get berated and insulted by someone providing customer service. Not once, but multiple times.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The mayor of mayorville.

The city of Townsville. Re-elect The Mayor for mayor!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Sheep wrote:
    In this case Paul is still the one at fault for continuing to masquerade as the person to speak to about the problem, rather than forwarding the emails to the correct party.

If you'll go back a few pages you'll see where I more than happily agree that the PR guy should be thrown out on his ass.

The pity parade for the customer I can do without.

Pre ordering new products that do not have a release date tend to involve situations like delays.

I thought that was kind of understood.

Typically though, the company does not begin offering $10 off coupons for said product and not allow people who already paid in full to cancel their order and re-order to get in on that. And/or provide another avenue for getting that rebate, especially when the product has been delayed like that.

In fact, that's the part that took this whole thing off the rails, if you'd been paying attention.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I mean, prior to being told to "put his big boy pants on", Dave seemed pretty mellow.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Everyone is upset because of the extremely poor customer service provided when Dave tried to find out when the item would ship. At first he got vague, nonhelpful answers. I mean, the first was an outright lie (if "December 17th" was even the ship date. It could have been anything). Then he started to get berated and insulted by someone providing customer service. Not once, but multiple times.

Right.

And I agree completely that the PR guy needs to be thrown out on his ass. That's the very first thing I said.

What I disagree with is the attempts to frame this as anything other. Like the constant remark that pre ordering/pre paying is faux pas/taboo in the video game industry.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    In the end, given that it appears the Marketing guy has already been fired, this might actually work out well for the controller manufacturer.

They'll issue an apology, get it posted everywhere that they quickly fired this jerk off, and people will warm up to them. They probably got more visibility over this than their actual campaign and because they were so quick to react (and react correctly), they'll reap the benefits.

Maybe the saying should be "There's no such thing as bad publicity, as long as you have a fall guy and are quick to right the wrong". Though...maybe then it isn't considered bad publicity. This is why I work with computers. Far simpler.

See, Ocean MarketTing achieves success! Tell all your friends!

Not a bad business model. Should make that their slogan. "We'll be the fall guy."

• Options
    cherylharrisoncherylharrison I am a good idea Columbus, OHRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    From the always-insightful Ocean Market(t)ing blog:

"You social media marketing should be handled by a permanent employee (or outside agency) that truly understands your brand, business model and online marketing goals. They will be in charge of your online voice and personality, so they better know what they are talking about. Effectively managing a social media marketing strategy takes countless hours, because it has to constantly be monitored and updated. They have to understand the goal of each social networking profile, as well as the audience that uses that medium. Messages have to be tweaked to fit the style and format of each site, but the overall strategy has to work towards the same end goal. Back in March, an employee at New Media Strategies (who was Chrysler’s social media agency at the time) dropped the F-bomb in a tweet from the @ChryslerAuto account, taking a shot at Detroit drivers. After deleting the tweet, Chrysler quickly fired New Media Strategies. Chances are the employee thought he was using his personal account to send the tweet, but accidentally posted from @ChryslerAuto. If a professional agency can make such a big mistake, what can happen when you hand the social media reigns over to someone who isn’t qualified to drive? Social media allows you to directly interact with your consumers, so who is going to be doing the talking?"

And how.

This is a pretty damn cool first post, welcome to the forum. :^:

That Chrysler story sounds familiar. I could've sworn an incident very similar happened in the video game industry in the last year, where someone in marketing mouthed off and the company got shit-canned by the product maker. I can't remember who it was.

It also has me thinking back to when Capcom canceled Mega Man Legends 3, and the Capcom Euro PR guy was going nuts on Twitter being a flippant piece of shit to people.

Thanks :) And I think this is the other gaming PR shitstorm you're referring to, where the marketing genius Tweeted that they wouldn't be sending free copies of games to critics who had shared less-than-favorable reviews: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/06/duke-nukem-twitter-brain-fart/

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    In this case Paul is still the one at fault for continuing to masquerade as the person to speak to about the problem, rather than forwarding the emails to the correct party.

If you'll go back a few pages you'll see where I more than happily agree that the PR guy should be thrown out on his ass.

The pity parade for the customer I can do without.

Pre ordering new products that do not have a release date tend to involve situations like delays.

I thought that was kind of understood.

There's a difference between a preordered thing getting delayed and a preordered thing getting delayed after you've handed money over for it, then get repeatedly told it's coming in the next shipment, then find that all those other shipments didn't exist and you paid for a thing that wasn't quite invented yet.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Okay, the snarky asshole comments are not necessary.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    He was acting exactly as most normal people would act when talking to a PR. You're super nice, thankful, and specific.

The fact that the dude sent a "Dec 17" response and no longer signed the email... It feels like this entire thing was staged. He even said any publicty is good publicity.

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    So, you're objectively incorrect that he was speaking with the wrong person. He contacted the company's customer service and their marketing department replied since that's what they're in charge of.

Tyrannus doesn't work for the company. I'm glad in your quest to "shine some light on the facts" here you quote a poster on an internet forum.

Secondly, I can't think of a single example where "Marketing" also includes "Sales/Pricing" and "Customer Service".

Usually the Sales staff handles the Sales stuff and the same for Customer Service, right?

Lemme send engineering a question real quick about what font they used in designing the website, hold on.
    Did you miss the part where the marketing company is the ONLY contact information on the website? Are you ignoring the fact that the marketing guy, instead of stating "this is the wrong e-mail" proceeded to engage the user in a conversation on the topic (a shitty, terribly done conversation, but that's another issue.). Even providing half-assed bits of information that, if he wasn't actually involved in those aspects of the company then he probably wouldn't have known.

• Options
    There's a difference between a preordered thing getting delayed and a preordered thing getting delayed after you've handed money over for it, then get repeatedly told it's coming in the next shipment, then find that all those other shipments didn't exist and you paid for a thing that wasn't quite invented yet.

Again, only speaking from personal experience here, but whenever I've pre ordered anything, be it computer parts, video games, games from GameStop, music albums, etc, the funds are either taken out of my account, or put on hold (which makes those funds unusable anyway).

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:

I actually like Sheep.
    On my end it was just jokes.
    Sorry if I sounded hostile Sheep.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    To change the subject: Here is some wisdom from that 'hardcore' gamer Morgan Webb!
    CNN Geek Out: With the Wii U and the PlayStation Vita coming out next year, is this where we are headed with more motion controls and less button pushing in gaming?

Webb: I think there is room for both. Core gamers - the hardcore gamers who play games like "Gears of War," "Call of Duty," "Assassin's Creed" and Skyrim" - that gamer is definitely more interested in using a controller for a lot of their experiences. The problem is that [with] the [PlayStation] Move, these motion experiences aren’t nuanced enough to actually give the player as much control as they would have with a [regular] controller. For example, if you are swinging a sword on a Wii game, you slash to the right and it does a right slash or slash to the left and it does a left slash, but it doesn’t really track or there is no skill involved. Now you are just standing up there making slashing motions for three hours.

http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/27/what-is-a-gamer-in-2011/?hpt=hp_c3

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I tend to tune out anyone using the phrase "hardcore."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:

I actually like Sheep.

My feelings aren't hurt.

:)

Uncle Sporky is the only person to have every cut me deep on these here forums.

Sheep on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

"You social media marketing should be handled by a permanent employee (or outside agency) that truly understands your brand, business model and online marketing goals. They will be in charge of your online voice and personality, so they better know what they are talking about. Effectively managing a social media marketing strategy takes countless hours, because it has to constantly be monitored and updated. They have to understand the goal of each social networking profile, as well as the audience that uses that medium. Messages have to be tweaked to fit the style and format of each site, but the overall strategy has to work towards the same end goal. Back in March, an employee at New Media Strategies (who was Chrysler’s social media agency at the time) dropped the F-bomb in a tweet from the @ChryslerAuto account, taking a shot at Detroit drivers. After deleting the tweet, Chrysler quickly fired New Media Strategies. Chances are the employee thought he was using his personal account to send the tweet, but accidentally posted from @ChryslerAuto. If a professional agency can make such a big mistake, what can happen when you hand the social media reigns over to someone who isn’t qualified to drive? Social media allows you to directly interact with your consumers, so who is going to be doing the talking?"

And how.

That Chrysler story sounds familiar. I could've sworn an incident very similar happened in the video game industry in the last year, where someone in marketing mouthed off and the company got shit-canned by the product maker. I can't remember who it was.

It also has me thinking back to when Capcom canceled Mega Man Legends 3, and the Capcom Euro PR guy was going nuts on Twitter being a flippant piece of shit to people.

Thanks :) And I think this is the other gaming PR shitstorm you're referring to, where the marketing genius Tweeted that they wouldn't be sending free copies of games to critics who had shared less-than-favorable reviews: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/06/duke-nukem-twitter-brain-fart/

YES, that is the exact thing I am referring to.

Today is a special edition of Video Game Industry Thread. PR Disasters.

• Options
    You know how in 1st grade you're mean to the girl you like, because you like her? I think Brainiac has those feelings towards Morgan Webb. :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cherylharrisoncherylharrison I am a good idea Columbus, OHRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

And how.

YES, that is the exact thing I am referring to.

Today is a special edition of Video Game Industry Thread. PR Disasters.

Nerd PR disasters will keep me posting forever and ever. Amen.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I tend to tune out anyone using the phrase "hardcore."

Psh, this is exactly what a dirty casual would say. :?

If you don't play Gears of War or some other form of dirty brown shooter, you just aint hardcore son. Morgan Webb says so, and thus it is so. (Or Skyrim, it's the only game with Sky in the name that you can play and still be hardcore!)

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    shosar wrote:
    Strangely, though, the email came from "cstrophic@hotmail.com". A cursory Googling of that email reveals that it's one of the addresses used by Mr. Christoforo. It's even listed as a contact address in one of his "@oceanstratagy" tweets from last year

This guy is just the gift that keeps on giving.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    shosar wrote:

Well.

Kinda bad cause it paints the company as being dishonest about who the guy is.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

I actually like Sheep.

My feelings aren't hurt.

:)

Uncle Sporky is the only person to have every cut me deep on these here forums.

I might disagree with you a ton but we are kind of similar in how stubborn we both are when we latch onto something. :P
    Come to think of it that is probably why we argue so much. Haha.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    You know how in 1st grade you're mean to the girl you like, because you like her? I think Brainiac has those feelings towards Morgan Webb. :P

Nuh-uh!

(If she were hear, I'd so pull her pigtails)

:rotate:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    The mayor of mayorville.

The city of Townsville. Re-elect The Mayor for mayor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDYgtC9DfMY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLFAC8F1657FB0CF49

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shosar wrote:

I'm not sure what the bigger story is; this guy using aliases to defend himself, or Kotaku doing investigative journalism (to an extent).

• Options
    Kotaku, definitely Kotaku!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:
    shosar wrote:

I'm not sure what the bigger story is; this guy using aliases to defend himself, or Kotaku doing investigative journalism (to an extent).

Its just been a weird day...

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    shosar wrote:

Answered your own question man.

It would have been much easier for them to get that guy who lives in Japan to post about titties. Instead, they put some effort into it.

Kotaku gets one notch on another wise completely bare totem.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    shosar wrote:

Oh my god, that's glorious.

Not to mention it would explain a lot. The dude's just about as red as Red Hulk in that Twitter photo.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    shosar wrote:

Its just been a weird day...

I did drink last night, and got drunk for the first time in my life. Maybe I never woke up.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    shosar wrote:

Actually I think they just repeated what they read on a forum.

The roid rage a bit that is, it's been repeatedly several times now for the last few hours on a few places.

Cade on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    shosar wrote:

Oh my god, that's glorious.

Not to mention it would explain a lot. The dude's just about as red as Red Hulk in that Twitter photo.

I actually thought he looked like a stereotypical jock from his photo but then self censored the impression out of habit. Funny.

• Options
    Does Kotaku still "employ" that guy who had a guest appearance as the male prostitute in those two Deuce Bigalow movies?

• Options
    Hmm. It seems Lidia Bonanno - lidia@blingsoftwareltd.com - owns the Avenger domain. In case you wanted someone else to talk to, since the brandon@avengercontroller.com email apparently just goes back to Ohshun Marciteng.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Why does shit like this always devolve into a stupid black and white "you're either with us or against us" matter. You can say you're completely against how the PR guy handles things. But then you say you don't think the customer was 100% innocent in the affair, and people just shit down your throat. "Oh you must really agree with him" "You're probably really the PR guy" And all that crap.

It's pretty disgusting at times. People here are usually classier than that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I know I should feel bad, but coming back from morning meetings to see how this has imploded has been magnificent.

Someone's going to release the lions next, right? Maybe the lightning round, where the floor slowly rolls away to reveal a pit of spikes?

• Options
    Cade wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    shosar wrote:

Actually I think they just repeated what they read on a forum.

The roid rage a bit that is, it's been repeatedly several times now for the last few hours on a few places.

I can dream for a better day, Cade. A day when Kotaku sends its own people out to field questions, dig up stories.

• Options
    Paul Goes to the Mayor has been greenlit by Adult Swim!
    qn9ydl.jpg