Options

Video Game Industry Thread: December's done, time for the next one

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Okay, digging up the guys dirty personal laundry is going a step too far I think. He's been professionally humiliated and dropped by the owner of the company: that's more than enough.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Hmm. It seems Lidia Bonanno - lidia@blingsoftwareltd.com - owns the Avenger domain. In case you wanted someone else to talk to, since the brandon@avengercontroller.com email apparently just goes back to Ohshun Marciteng.

I have David Kotkins (Avenger creator) email and phone number. I've been hesitant to release them to the wild for obvious reasons.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Okay, digging up the guys dirty personal laundry is going a step too far I think. He's been professionally humiliated and dropped by the owner of the company: that's more than enough.

It is going the way, yeah. I saw a retweet earlier that asked why the internet can't do this sort of thing to corrupt people in charge (politicians).

• Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    expendable wrote:
    Hmm. It seems Lidia Bonanno - lidia@blingsoftwareltd.com - owns the Avenger domain. In case you wanted someone else to talk to, since the brandon@avengercontroller.com email apparently just goes back to Ohshun Marciteng.

I have David Kotkins (Avenger creator) email and phone number. I've been hesitant to release them to the wild for obvious reasons.

That's probably a thing that shouldn't happen.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    expendable wrote:

I would not advise it. People can do blind things in such cases, they're likely to tear him to shreds as they are this guy.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Paul Goes to the Mayor has been greenlit by Adult Swim!
    qn9ydl.jpg

More likely to watch that than the actual show.

• Options
    cherylharrisoncherylharrison I am a good idea Columbus, OHRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote:

Just saw your earlier comment. Look forward to his statement.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Why does shit like this always devolve into a stupid black and white "you're either with us or against us" matter. You can say you're completely against how the PR guy handles things. But then you say you don't think the customer was 100% innocent in the affair, and people just shit down your throat. "Oh you must really agree with him" "You're probably really the PR guy" And all that crap.

It's pretty disgusting at times. People here are usually classier than that.

Eh, other things, like the Dickwolves debacle? That was grey. Where you came down on it depended on your personality.

This one is pretty black and white. That guy is a tool, and the customer was wronged.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Why does shit like this always devolve into a stupid black and white "you're either with us or against us" matter. You can say you're completely against how the PR guy handles things. But then you say you don't think the customer was 100% innocent in the affair, and people just shit down your throat. "Oh you must really agree with him" "You're probably really the PR guy" And all that crap.

It's pretty disgusting at times. People here are usually classier than that.

I was just joking chap. I have a weird sense of humor at times. If you look you will see I was the instigator of that stuff and I already apologised for any misunderstanding.

It looks really similar to the kind of thing you are talking about but in this case it isn't. I honestly didn't think very hard about ribbing Sheep just now.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    expendable wrote:

Don't do that, that's going too far. You put it to your own use from what I saw a bit ago, and that's it. Though, if you find out anything, let us know maybe!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

It is going the way, yeah. I saw a retweet earlier that asked why the internet can't do this sort of thing to corrupt people in charge (politicians).

That's... a valid point. I feel kind of bad about myself now.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Remington wrote:
    expendable wrote:

Yeah. He told me to give them out so people could contact him, but he wasn't entirely familiar with reddit (or at least the pronunciation) so I doubt he knew what would happen if I started just putting them out there.

That said, I've emailed Mike, some people at kotaku, the PO'd customer from several months ago, and a few others and included that info.

Steam
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Henroid wrote:

They have guns.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    expendable wrote:
    Remington wrote:
    expendable wrote:

Yeah. He told me to give them out so people could contact him, but he wasn't entirely familiar with reddit (or at least the pronunciation) so I doubt he knew what would happen if I started just putting them out there.

That said, I've emailed Mike, some people at kotaku, the PO'd customer from several months ago, and a few others and included that info.

Absolutely the right thing to do. Most of us here know that the other people involved with the Avenger likely aren't giant asshats like the PR guy, but I'm afraid the internet as a whole will start emailing him pictures of their butts or something.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Sheep wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

They have guns.

In point of fact they pay the people with guns. You and whose army? "Mine" Oh okay then.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

That's... a valid point. I feel kind of bad about myself now.

Nah don't feel bad. Everything about the guy's shitty public displays or his business ethics / history is fair game, as it's related to what he does for a living (which is the whole thing in question). The roid rage thing is funny, but now it's starting to dig at things a little too much than is necessary. Though I guess it can be argued that this kinda shows he isn't the traditional type of PR personality, like not by a long shot...

I dunno. I'm torn between my loathing of total assholes and my try-to-be-fair instinct.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Well, that's kind of the thing I thought Scarab was also trying to get at. What did you expect? You go to the internet like this, this is what the internet is going to do. When Gabe said "I can’t wait for the Penny Arcade smear campaign!", what did you exactly have in mind?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    expendable wrote:
    Remington wrote:
    expendable wrote:

Absolutely the right thing to do. Most of us here know that the other people involved with the Avenger likely aren't giant asshats like the PR guy, but I'm afraid the internet as a whole will start emailing him pictures of their butts or something.

You make it sound like a bad thing, cloud.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh no!

Amazon is being flooded with 1 star reviews for the controller... There's suddenly 211 negative reviews.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Well, that's kind of the thing I thought Scarab was also trying to get at. What did you expect? You go to the internet like this, this is what the internet is going to do. When Gabe said "I can’t wait for the Penny Arcade smear campaign!", what did you exactly have in mind?

The guy threatened Penny Arcade with a smear campaign, that's what Gabe was referring to.

And the internet does know how to pull punches. Remember how it was discovered the guy has a kid? I've seen nothing done to attack that piece of information. Comments about worrying about the kid's upbringing and all, but nothing beyond that.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This doesn't happen to politicians mainly because

1. Most politicians aren't computer savvy: they have staff to do that shit for 'em.
    2. Most long-term politicians have learned how to keep their damaging shit out of the spotlight for the most part, going to greater lengths to keep that shit hidden because of the greater amount of scrutiny foisted upon them due to public office.

Some random guy who runs a random company isn't going to be looking to cover his tracks. He doesn't think anyone is going to bother with him.

Uh, given that "penny arcade smear campaign" was in referring to the PR guy saying he and "his friends" that he namedropped were going to run a smear campaign against penny arcade, I had in mind that the statement was Mike making fun of the dude for making an absolutely impotent threat.

EDIT: Specifically
    PR Guy: Your sites amateur at best my son could put together a better site than yours and you run PAX ?? Wow , ]Ill put my marketing team on a smear campaign of you and your site and your emails , I have about 125 dedicated people to run PR , Blogs , Articles , Videos you have no clue who I am . Thanks again

Mike: I can’t wait for the Penny Arcade smear campaign!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

ummm...that comment was in response to the PR douche's email where he said he'd start a smear campaign against PA.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Oh no!

Amazon is being flooded with 1 star reviews for the controller... There's suddenly 211 negative reviews.

Any press is good press, right? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    So, you're objectively incorrect that he was speaking with the wrong person. He contacted the company's customer service and their marketing department replied since that's what they're in charge of.

Tyrannus doesn't work for the company. I'm glad in your quest to "shine some light on the facts" here you quote a poster on an internet forum.

Secondly, I can't think of a single example where "Marketing" also includes "Sales/Pricing" and "Customer Service".

Usually the Sales staff handles the Sales stuff and the same for Customer Service, right?

Lemme send engineering a question real quick about what font they used in designing the website, hold on.

Marketing is almost synonymous for sales in any US industry. For example, when you apply for a "marketing position" almost 100% of the time its a sales position, be it internal or external. The word is misleading because its been hijacked by shady firms such as the one that this whole event revolves around.

With a larger company they may break out specific positions for people, but often sales handles customer service as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:
    expendable wrote:

Don't do that, that's going too far. You put it to your own use from what I saw a bit ago, and that's it. Though, if you find out anything, let us know maybe!

Joel from Kotaku says to expect another follow up post.

The other PO'd customer has an update: http://www.natesnetwork.com/Poor-customer-service

Those are the only people I've heard from.

Steam
  • Options
    This doesn't happen to politicians mainly because

1. Most politicians aren't computer savvy: they have staff to do that shit for 'em.
    2. Most long-term politicians have learned how to keep their damaging shit out of the spotlight for the most part, going to greater lengths to keep that shit hidden because of the greater amount of scrutiny foisted upon them due to public office.

Some random guy who runs a random company isn't going to be looking to cover his tracks. He doesn't think anyone is going to bother with him.

I wasn't expecting there to be an actual answer to what was mostly a rhetorical question, but you have a very solid point. I would say that's the whole career of a politician these days. But now we're slipping off topic for G&T.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    expendable wrote:
    While I doubt you'll go through with it, I want to say to anyone else with similar ideas that going forward with such plans would be very unwise.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

The guy threatened Penny Arcade with a smear campaign, that's what Gabe was referring to.

And the internet does know how to pull punches. Remember how it was discovered the guy has a kid? I've seen nothing done to attack that piece of information. Comments about worrying about the kid's upbringing and all, but nothing beyond that.

Ah, then I just suck at interpreting meaning. My mistake. :)

Though the general point still stands. If you raise the internet alarm, you can't be surprised when people start slinging mudballs. As for pulling punches... well now people are slamming the thing on Amazon, despite some people saying it was a decent controller for disabled people, and the original maker also condemning the actions of the PR guy.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There really isn't a way to prevent public awareness from filtering to people you don't want to be aware of these things.
    In some cases this is why government organisations try to keep secrecy about a lot of large scale operations, to prevent panic.

The alternative is nobody knowing how bad this guy is at his job. It's a lesser of two evils.
    The only thing you can really do is tell everybody then try to do some damage control for the spillover.

Try to think of a large group of people as a range of different personalities, with the ones you don't like being the loudest. You know all those quiet calm reasonable people? They read the internet and don't post on it. You aren't seeing their opinions and actions, but they are seeing yours. Public awareness can still influence them, but they don't start trashing everything.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    They still hired the guy. That person represents you as a company, and their acts will ultimately reflect on you.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who said I was surprised? I was just stating that I think the event had crossed the line from productive to unnecessary.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:

Ah, then I just suck at interpreting meaning. My mistake. :)

Though the general point still stands. If you raise the internet alarm, you can't be surprised when people start slinging mudballs. As for pulling punches... well now people are slamming the thing on Amazon, despite some people saying it was a decent controller for disabled people, and the original maker also condemning the actions of the PR guy.

Yeah. There's a chance other controllers for disabled people exist though. But I'm no expert. And if the internet is going to drive full on against this whole thing, being on Amazon at least contains it to the professional life / repercussions of his actions thing. I don't think disabled people are going to lose out on a controller over this. At worse it may just become a special order type of thing, rather than casual marketplace (online or retail).

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    There really isn't any game news right after Christmas is there? Only reason I can explain why so many people are wasting so much time on a rude PR guy.

In more uplifting news, Klonoa just came out on the PSN. Yes, I know there's a remake on the Wii that is supposed to be decent, but $6 for a portable Klonoa is nice. Such a great game.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There really isn't any game news right after Christmas is there? Only reason I can explain why so many people are wasting so much time on a rude PR guy.

In more uplifting news, Klonoa just came out on the PSN. Yes, I know there's a remake on the Wii that is supposed to be decent, but $6 for a portable Klonoa is nice. Such a great game.

Well there was the decision that came out of the EA / Activision / West / Zampenella (I probably botched his name) case, which is still unresolved by a long shot. It was just a motion EA had made that got turned down.

Henroid on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and there's this!
    Love video games? Fed up with the same old festive drinks? We think we may have just the thing for you.

Inspired by our top 20 games of the year list – and our love of alcoholic beverages – I asked James Dance, owner of stylish Falmouth bar and video game arcade Loading, to create six new festive cocktails, based on the year's hottest titles.

He has recently designed drinks for Capcom's Street Fighter community event in London and made up an Alice: Madness Returns cocktail for Electronic Arts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/dec/23/six-video-game-cocktails

Actually the list looks pretty groovy. Here's my favorite.
    Elderflower Scrolls: Skyyrum

What you'll need
    Skyy vanilla vodka
    Sparkling elderflower presse
    Spiced rum (Sailor Jerry)
    Orange peel

We've based this whole drink entirely around a series of highly amusing Skyrim puns – but luckily, it's also delicious. First, create a sugared rim by dipping your high ball glass into the vanilla vodka, and then into a plate of sugar. Now put ice into the glass and pour in 175ml of the presse down the side (the inside, of course). Add a measure of spiced rum on top of that, and garnish with an orange peel dragon's tongue.

But yeah, slow week.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    No alcohol topics please. <_<

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The batman one is awesome, but the batman part of that drink should be a lot bigger. Like mostly black with a skim of brown.

Are we not supposed to talk about alcohol in g&t for some reason or do you just not like it henroid?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Ummm..other news...hmm...

FFXI shady fees case got thrown out.

I remember when this came up in the news. I actually agree that the way SE handles the subs for XI (they've since changed it but only recently) is absurd and not at all friendly. I.e. You can get stuck paying a full month fee for less than a day of sub time, etc. But $5m in damages? I can't imagine there were remotely enough people in the "class" portion of said case to warrant even remotely that kind of money. The monthly fee is $13 a month. You would need over 380k people attached to that case to have $5m worth of fees.

So I'm glad the case got thrown out? But good lord it shouldn't have taken SE so long to make their sub system not completely and totally asstastic.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    No alcohol topics please. <_<
    I don't think that's your call to make!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci82KBmSBJk