As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    that is a good merit badge size.

dragon scouts!

If we're going for authenticity, Merit Badges in the BSA are one inch in diameter

Edit: also I think it would be fun to have a merit badge sash where all the badges were fantasy themed.

Dragon Husbandry, Siegecraft, Alchemy, etc

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

dragon scouts!

If we're going for authenticity, Merit Badges in the BSA are one inch in diameter

Edit: also I think it would be fun to have a merit badge sash where all the badges were fantasy themed.

I have some vintage scouting badges which are 3" exactly, but come to think of it they are "event" / gathering type. The ones that go on a uniform or a sash are smaller.

And yes, that would be adorable.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    So this year some of the members of the Beta Club at school are partnered up with teachers as "buddies." The kiddos know who their teacher is, but we teachers don't know who our middle schooler is. And the idea is to send notes of encouragement and small gifts to each other throughout the semester. My buddy is a girl who likes red, so I made these:
    edTC4La.jpg

I really hope she likes them.

If she wears them at school it couuuuuld defeat the purpose if you recognize them, but they are so pretty.

This is true. And I did consider that issue. She's can't wear the earrings because they're larger than dress code, but the bracelet could be a give-away. Fortunately, we're switching buddies at the end of the semester, so all will be revealed then. I'll probably mention in the note something jokey about not wearing then to school. :-P

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

dragon scouts!

I have some vintage scouting badges which are 3" exactly, but come to think of it they are "event" / gathering type. The ones that go on a uniform or a sash are smaller.

And yes, that would be adorable.

Fuck Yeah, Jamborees!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I... I may have picked up a small canvas and some acrylic paints tonight.

No, I have no idea why.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I have been making a sweater from some yarn I had leftover from a big project years ago.

The thing is, it goes Color A, stripe of Color B, stripe of Color A, then Color B for the remainder.

It does this as you move up the body and each sleeve, and I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough Color A so I had to knit the body up to the color change and then knit each sleeve to make sure.

And I managed to do it with about 50 feet to spare. :)

Color B won't be a problem, I have tons of it. But Color A was discontinued so if I came up short I'd have been screwed.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I... I may have picked up a small canvas and some acrylic paints tonight.

No, I have no idea why.

Painting is fun! I find it very relaxing, even though I'm not very good at it. I think I just enjoy the motions of brushstrokes.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I briefly mentioned it, but there's these badges called Maker Skill Badges. Adafruit started it and has the widest array of physical Maker Badges (including a catapult badge). Other companies have picked up on it too and are offering digital badges like Mozilla and DIY.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    AngiKateAngiKate Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I briefly mentioned it, but there's these badges called Maker Skill Badges. Adafruit started it and has the widest array of physical Maker Badges (including a catapult badge). Other companies have picked up on it too and are offering digital badges like Mozilla and DIY.

Those are totally awesome!

• Options
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    RFORGmc.jpg

a bracelet made out of about 60 feet of wire, twisted together four separate times, hammered flat and melted at the ends

i am really really happy with this one

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Wow. That's gorgeous.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    thank you! it took a solid week of playing around with the basic concept to get it right, but it was totally worth it

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    AngiKateAngiKate Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I started crocheting again!

Had downtime at work today. Planned downtime. So I brought in some stuff to do a blanket. It's gonna be a Pentagon!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm at the point of my sweater where I just attached the sleeves and so I don't have enough room on one needle for all the stiches so I'm using 3 sets of circulars as really big DPNs.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I started crocheting again!

Had downtime at work today. Planned downtime. So I brought in some stuff to do a blanket. It's gonna be a Pentagon!

I'm imagining a crocheted scale model of the Pentagon.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    yeah, the phone auto-capitalized that.

It's gonna be 5 sided blanket and I'll probably put tassels on the end of each point.

I am so excited

• Options
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    You'll get faster at it with practice
    Looks great, though!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I keep looking at the knitting done by everyone here and asking "So where do the rivets go?".

Any kind of textile art but basic sewing mystifies me, and I have no idea how it stays together.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Well, I guess I'd like to share what I've been up to (I'm not terribly secure in my abilities yet, but I'm improving). After being non-artsy for years since high school I've started doing geeky paintings to populate my game room. Here are four that I've done in the past few months (the ghosts were done awhile ago and I may have posted them already, but I cleaned up their edges).

Spoilered for biggish:
    This one is my wife's favorite...and it was really fun to paint. I cheated and used an art projector for the outline, but still like it a lot.
    o6p3ot1plk4t.jpg

This is my son's favorite...I repainted it entirely 3 times before I was somewhat content.
    41ht8prha387.jpg

This is two canvas boards, both framed in cheap black plastic frames. I actually like them still despite being the second thing I did when I started painting again. I really wish I had been using real canvases at the time.
    bv3d3dx9hs5c.jpg

Finally my ghosts, which I really do like. They look cool in my game room too.
    qxvvk73pwmz1.jpg

In all I've done like a dozen and a half paintings since I started again, of varying levels of success. I just have a very, very hard time relaxing and just letting things happen when I paint, I'm finding my skill level and my perfectionist streak are often at odds with each other.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I keep looking at the knitting done by everyone here and asking "So where do the rivets go?".

Any kind of textile art but basic sewing mystifies me, and I have no idea how it stays together.

It's really how you weave it is how it stays together
    I did a quick search and it really showed things I felt were too detailed if you knew nothing about knitting

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Those are amazing Lindsey!

• Options
    Looks great, though!

I actually knit relatively fast (for a beginner)

Knitting itself is just slow, compared to crochet

Then again, I'm making a solid fabric so I guess it's to be expected.

• Options
  • Options
    Sheri wrote: »
    Looks great, though!

I actually knit relatively fast (for a beginner)

Knitting itself is just slow, compared to crochet

Then again, I'm making a solid fabric so I guess it's to be expected.

Huh, it's the exact opposite for me! I struggle mightily with anything more advanced than a granny square in crochet but I can knit an entire hat at the movies in the dark.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

Proper sacrifices to the gods of yarn and needlework.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

It's literally one big knot in the shape of a hat

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

It's literally one big knot in the shape of a hat

Also there's all the welding.

• Options
    I think the thing I like most about knitting is that each project is really just a combination of techniques, that when broken down, can be used to create a whole different kind of thing. And if you learn enough techniques, in theory you can make ANYTHING.

For example, scarves and blankets are exactly the same things, just different proportions. And a mitten and a glove are basically the same thing. You just finish a glove by making a bunch of gusset-less thumbs for your fingers. If you want, you can change the type of stitches you use to make a glove that looks totally different than the mittens you just knit, while still using basically the same series of techniques to make the glove!

It's SO COOL!

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    So I need some help with a christmas gift for my wonderful Smother......mother.

She is into making handmade cards like this...
    100_0984_zpscc90920a.jpg

100_0985_zpsf8d993cf.jpg

I was looking into a tablet so she could store pictures and also design/draw ideas for new cards.

However, it has to be easy to use, as she is not that technologically adept.

Any ideas for a tablet and programs to help me solve my problem?

Cross posted from the H&A thread

• Options
    hm, are we talking tablet as in "basically a laptop" or tablet as in "elaborate phone"

there are options in either budget range

the former I'd say Surface Pro and PS, the latter I'd say one of the nexus android tablets, Sketchbook Pro, and PS Touch maybe? there are a lot of things you could consider there though tbh. I use a Nexus 7 with Sketchbook Pro for drawing/layout applications, but ymmv.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Talking about a tablet as in Ipad. She has used mine several times and is quite happy with it, but I know trying to draw on it is p.bad.

Just trying to get her something that she can port around hassle-free

edit- see Geth, I fixed the spelling mistake

Invectivus on
  • Options
    do you have a stylus? you need a stylus. Drawing on an ipad with a finger is about as elegant as drawing on, well, anything with a finger.

• Options
    Wacom makes a stylus with pressure-sensitivity that enables palm rejection. You could get her something like that.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Also the samsung notes are pretty rad. I have the tablet and its been pretty fun. I don't draw on it a lot and most if it is doodling, but I have been pretty happy with it.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
  • Options
    Harry Potter has assured that any combination of red/maroon and yellow I see will forever be accompanied by the thoughts "Go, Gryphandor".

This discussion has been closed.