As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Okay here's the deal. I'm ten bucks short on the rent that needs to be in by the fifth and I have half assed sculptures to sell. I can take payments via Google wallet I guess?

Well here's a link to my sculptures or you can request something new (please give me an advance)

So name your price! Also keep in mind some sculptures may not exist anymore:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/127130734@N07/S81Z65

While I'm normally pretty squeamish, those ones with the musculature and stuff are fuckin awesome

also, lol at what looks to be H.R. Giger-inspired dongers

If there's interest, I would totally do another ecorche sculpture

• Options
    "Ecorche" means skinless muscle person sculpture.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    also, lol at what looks to be H.R. Giger-inspired dongers

There's such a circular sense behind it I'm baffled

• Options
    Also I guess I can set up a PayPal if that will get people interested

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    etsy
    "Gigerdong and Ecorche Emporium"

(also, cmon, people, Giger's stuff was already pretty laced with dong-imagery, it is hardly a stretch!)

• Options
    edited November 2014
    P.S. made rent, btw.

Everyone go help Sherri with her car stuff

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Cross post from the AC Halloween thread but I was reminded to finish that post by this thread popping up in favorites so hey

oh whoops so I forgot to progress post in here

so
    my friend asked me to help him be the King in Yellow
    so I borrowed a little from the imagery from True Detective and then ran with the Chambers novel and the Cthulhu Mythos interpretations of Hastur, the King in Yellow:

DSC_0189.jpg

I was pretty pleased with it

My fuzzball copilot:
    DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

I did not get a picture WITH my wookittiee but hey, here is a picture of mine taken by my coworker who is usually a portrait photographer, but I really uh
    I felt pretty unphotogenic but I had a hell of a lot of fun
    slnh.jpeg

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    This is how I'm distracting myself from the fact that I am totally unprepared to shoot a wedding tomorrow

tumblr_neng1xltcS1roc5r3o1_500.jpg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    don't

oh cameras haha

• Options
    ... and then I tore it all out because it was too big

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I can't make hats. They do not work out for me no matter what.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Currently designing a fabric table to go into my new sewing room.

Wanting to do basically a square table top, about 1m. And then 4 legs (obvs). I cna't quite figure out if those should be 1m as well or not.

And then, how to finish the table? sanding obviously, but do I use like a wood stain and then a shellac type thing to get it nice and smooth for fabric to be easily manipulated around it? And what color?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    The one my mom uses is 36" high, and it's comfortable for both of us to use for longish period--she's 5'4" and I'm 5'9"--so that seems to be a good height. Could you make an elasticized table cover out of laminated cotton? Like this kind of deal: fitted table cover Or buy one if it would come out about the same even. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the finish and fabric interaction, and you could just take the cover off when you weren't using it to show off whatever stain you decide on.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    All I know is if you're going to be moving pieces of fabric around on said tabletop, round the corners and all the edges. Trust me on this.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Man, I could go on for ages about finishing. I'll try to keep it short.

My basic recommendation for new finishers is dependent on the type of wood, but generally I'd say pick an oil-based dye stain (or a hybrid dye/pigment that's got fairly little pigment) like home-store Minwax or Watco stain. (Lots of folks will hate on Minwax stains, but they're generally very new-user-friendly on most woods. Lord help you if you're on something like a highly-figured wood, though.) Wipe on in excess and wipe off anything that didn't get absorbed. Lighter stain colors are generally fool-proof (test on a scrap); darker colors can be hard to control on some woods if you're new.

Let dry for a day or more (if humidity, cool temperatures, etc.) and follow with a finish. For tabletops, you want as hard a surface as you can manage and one that's spill-proof. This means a varnish. Traditional polyurethane is the toughest of what's reasonably available to you. Water-based polyurethanes ("polycrylic", etc.) aren't quite as hard or impermeable but are much easier to clean up than traditional. Brushing it on will make for a thicker (more protective) finish, but some folks find brushing thick varnish sort of difficult to manage without getting runs everywhere. If you're handy with a brush, go for it. If not, consider a "wiping varnish" (basically just a thinned varnish that you can wipe on with a clean lint-free white rag like a t-shirt scrap). I use three coats of brushed urethane for tabletops, but two will do. For wiping varnish, double that. Follow the instructions on the back of the can for how long to wait between coats. (Too short and it gets ugly; too long and you have to sand between coats for the next coat to stick.)

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    So this year some of the members of the Beta Club at school are partnered up with teachers as "buddies." The kiddos know who their teacher is, but we teachers don't know who our middle schooler is. And the idea is to send notes of encouragement and small gifts to each other throughout the semester. My buddy is a girl who likes red, so I made these:
    edTC4La.jpg

I really hope she likes them.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    What a cool idea!

And yeah, we're looking at our new projects as a means/excuse to get a new router/sander tools.

• Options
    Introp has it down pretty well.

I'll also add that Plexiglass(Acrylic) is fairly cheap and makes a handy surface protector.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    7s64ia0ok5v9.jpg
    29 more balls of yarn to go!

• Options
    that is just plain gorgeous.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I like regular old clear acrylic varnish on wood tabletops. I like to sand down to 480 grit, wipe the surface clean with a damp rag, then wait for it to dry before applying stains or varnishing. I always let varnish coats cure fully and give them a light sand with 1200 grit between coats. Two coats minimum, but I prefer three.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    My wife made a thing!

scQcqQd.png?3

• Options
    AngiKateAngiKate Registered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    7s64ia0ok5v9.jpg
    29 more balls of yarn to go!

My screen scrolled past this picture really fast when the tread was loading and I thought, "Ooh, Cute skirt!" Very nice work on the blanket. ^_^

• Options
    This is coming along nicely, after the third time of trying :|

tumblr_neqffgbkhi1roc5r3o1_1280.jpg

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    My wife made a thing!

scQcqQd.png?3

Dawwww, don't cry kitty!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Adore that colorway, Sheri!

It is about to be full on knitting season here as well

Going to see Interstellar tonight after work and I know myself well enough that I packed two three different projects just in case. No way I can sit through a three hour movie without knitting, it will drive me crazy

DSC_0205.jpg

The hat is almost finished... I should probably bind that off on the train home. I don't remember what movie we went to where I started that one but it was a while ago... Maybe Cap 2.

The scarf is getting long but I'm not sure if it looks right. Bleh. It'll probably look better blocked out. I hope!

tapeslinger on
  • Options
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    OMG

OUR FRIEND FINALLY MADE ME A BEARD HAT

dRSGl4S.jpg

I AM OVERCOME WITH BEARD BLISS

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    that is just plain gorgeous.
    Thanks! I'm really enjoying how this is turning out!

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    OMG

OUR FRIEND FINALLY MADE ME A BEARD HAT

dRSGl4S.jpg

I AM OVERCOME WITH BEARD BLISS

That's fantastic! I kind of want one to keep my beard warm.
    Also I think it'd be mildy comical to have that then take it off and have the same level of beard.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    So, we picked up the wood to make our first attempt at bookshelves today.

It's going to be... interesting. Seeing as we know nothing.

hooray youtube.

• Options
    Bookshelves are fairly easy. Sides, shelves, back. Pop some mouldings around the bottom and the top, hit the edges with a router, wipe on some stain, and done!

(or just buy some like Amy and I did...)

• Options
    I got some embroidery done today. Would have gotten more done if the push/pull comp on the first one wasn't way off.
    4yv66feftfpr.jpg

• Options
    Are those... Dragon merit badges?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    So this year some of the members of the Beta Club at school are partnered up with teachers as "buddies." The kiddos know who their teacher is, but we teachers don't know who our middle schooler is. And the idea is to send notes of encouragement and small gifts to each other throughout the semester. My buddy is a girl who likes red, so I made these:
    edTC4La.jpg

I really hope she likes them.

If she wears them at school it couuuuuld defeat the purpose if you recognize them, but they are so pretty.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options

I suppose they could be. I haven't done the finishing work on them yet, but was so excited that the colors turned out. They're about 3 inches in diameter, so if that's merit badge size, sounds good to me. ;)

• Options
    that is a good merit badge size.

dragon scouts!

• Options

The top right one looks like it could be a really good MakerBadge.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.