As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2015
    @Usagi @Sheri @lonelyahava and other crochet people

MnO8g4H.jpg

!!!

www.knitjapan.co.uk/features/c_zone/horiuchi/work.htm
    Toshiko Horiuchi-MacAdam
    (note link is down atm but hopefully will work again soonish)

edit: why are the forums appending themselves to this url what gives. You'll have to copy paste I guess

tynic on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    holy shit

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I've seen pictures of their exhibitions before!! It's fucking incredible!!!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Guys my dragon is almost done and it looks so cool!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

hfHs0EV.jpg

ITt8Y0H.jpg

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    tl5dubp5dr70.jpg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I was going to have two of those swimming up my wall, using construction paper to make water, but that ended up waaaaay to big

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    ancient craftsman tabletop bandsaw for $15 at the thrift store!

06aWQe9.jpg

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    also pictured: a corner of an extremely messy workshop

• Options
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

There are other kinds?

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

There are other kinds?

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that an overly-neat workshop is considerably more conspicuous

• Options
    my next door neighbor growing up who gave me use of his shop for a long-ass time and taught me a lot of the basics once told me that you can tell the quality of a workshop's output based on how clean it is

based on the state of ours, i really hope that isn't true

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    my next door neighbor growing up who gave me use of his shop for a long-ass time and taught me a lot of the basics once told me that you can tell the quality of a workshop's output based on how clean it is

A lot of people like to spout that bullshit. But then, I've done some of my best work lying on the side of a road in the mud under a truck with various animal excretions dripping on me, so they can go fuck themselves. If your workshop is a cluttered, disorganised, unsafe pigsty, then that does actually impact heavily on your ability to do work to the highest of your abilities and in a timely manner.

However, if your workshop is cleaner than the production line of a semiconductor manufacturing facility, then I harbour doubts as to how much work you actually do, or if you're really just all talk.

An operational workshop with a reasonable budget, that is, a workshop that cannot afford to pay people specifically just to clean, is never going to be as immaculate as a place like the McLaren factory.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    You don't maintain a bandsaw while it's in use.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    You don't maintain a bandsaw while it's in use.

Well, not if you want to keep all your fingers, anyway...

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure if I ought to post this, as I have a lot of 'projects' that never go anywhere, but I'm feeling good about this one.

We were going to do a Mad Max themed airsoft game day and I'd done some little bits for it, a fancy steering wheel, some clothing. But the game was cancelled twice due to the weather (and rescheduled another time due to people having other things on). And now there's at least a four week gap until we can do another game. So... I might have gone a little bit mad. Initially it was just going to be a prop for some CTF type games, but I think it'd be much cooler as a weapon. So I'm going to have a bb gun built into it that will be activated by the tremolo bar, same as the flamethrower in the movie.

This is the planning bit. It's mostly in pencil so it doesn't show up well. You might notice that the flamethrower is missing, that's because 1) I'm not a fan, it clutters up the guitar and 2) if it turns out that the guitar really needs it I can easily add it after I am finished.
    h1vgr7r59ofd.jpg
    This close up of the body shows a bit more of the detail. The mechanism for firing is very simple, the lever just presses against the trigger. The bbs will travel up a pipe on the back of the bass neck, they'll lose a lot of accuracy, but it's a flamethrower, it's meant to spew fire (bbs) everywhere.
    crcbyjibrpum.jpg
    However,the magazine poking out the bottom was a bit of a problem. It reminded me too much of the ak47 guitar guns. They're cool, but I'm building a flamethrower, not an AK guitar. I could use a smaller magazine, but I don't want the person using the gun to have to reload mid-game. So I've moved the bb gun to fire up the guitar neck. This hides the gun and will also make it a little easier to aim. The simple mechanical lever will need to be replaced with an electronic system, which is superior in every way but one. It won't quite have the same mechanical feel. Like the difference between turning a door knob and flicking a light switch I guess. It's a small thing but I hope I can simulate the feeling of doing something mechanical and not just have a switch.
    zx6iex5rxvap.jpg
    Here's what I've got so far. As far as the wood bits go, I've just got to find a couple of nice bits for the necks. The necks you see in the photo will be cut down as much as they can be, they're just there for the real necks to attach to. After that I've got a lot of sanding to do.
    srom8bbv8fhf.jpg
    I've very nearly got all the materials already. I've got leftover metal sheets, copper pipes, little gizmos and electronic bits. I'm just missing some strings. It won't be a playable guitar, but it has gotta have strings.

Despite the size of the project I'm feeling like I have a decent chance of success.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    My wall fish keep falling

Anyone have any ideas for how to hand them better than poster putty?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Double sided velcro or double sided sticky pads?

Your wall fish are lovely!

• Options
    My wall fish keep falling

Anyone have any ideas for how to hand them better than poster putty?

A nail gun. It got the job done in Quake!

• Options
    Hm double sided velcro should work

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

A lot of people like to spout that bullshit. But then, I've done some of my best work lying on the side of a road in the mud under a truck with various animal excretions dripping on me, so they can go fuck themselves. If your workshop is a cluttered, disorganised, unsafe pigsty, then that does actually impact heavily on your ability to do work to the highest of your abilities and in a timely manner.

However, if your workshop is cleaner than the production line of a semiconductor manufacturing facility, then I harbour doubts as to how much work you actually do, or if you're really just all talk.

An operational workshop with a reasonable budget, that is, a workshop that cannot afford to pay people specifically just to clean, is never going to be as immaculate as a place like the McLaren factory.

The only thing that needs to be clean is a paintshop. You don't want static cling sucking dust into a fresh coat of paint.

Also it's better to have your tools organized, findable and easily retrievable. Adam Savage has this concept of "First Order Retrievability" which basically means not having to go into a room, open a tool box, lift up a tray and pull out a drawer to get to a tool. He takes it to pretty crazy lengths and builds custom stands on wheels and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQAYfGxsPE

#pipe on
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »

The only thing that needs to be clean is a paintshop. You don't want static cling sucking dust into a fresh coat of paint.

Also it's better to have your tools organized, findable and easily retrievable. Adam Savage has this concept of "First Order Retrievability" which basically means not having to go into a room, open a tool box, lift up a tray and pull out a drawer to get to a tool. He takes it to pretty crazy lengths and builds custom stands on wheels and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQAYfGxsPE

Pretty much, yeah. I mean, it's almost a physical impossibility to keep a metal shop or wood shop free of dust. A paint shop, however? Don't even spray WD40 if you're standing downwind, because you'll fuck up someone's paintjob...

• Options
    When I worked for my dad in a sign shop, we'd finish work every friday at 1pm and clean the shop. As soon as the weekly upkeep, cleaning, tidying and chores were done we were all free to go home.

It was a good way to make sure it all got done every week and it usually got done quickly.

• Options
    When I worked for my dad in a sign shop, we'd finish work every friday at 1pm and clean the shop. As soon as the weekly upkeep, cleaning, tidying and chores were done we were all free to go home.

It was a good way to make sure it all got done every week and it usually got done quickly.

Well yeah, but your Dad's nice. There's LOTS of shop owners that want you either doing productive work or clocked off and out of the building. Time is money!

• Options
    So I bought a few plain coloured tee shirts a while ago because it's hard finding any fun designs in sizes that fit me and a good friend of mine prints vinyl on shirts as a side business so I could put whatever I wanted on there. Today I finalized the designs.

I adapted artwork I found online but I don't feel too bad since they weren't being sold as shirts and I'm never going to sell them, just making one for myself.

tee-shirts.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Chipping away at it. Photos under spoiler so I don't have a tall post.
    Made the blade thing under the guitar.
    jhgmq8izfooj.jpg
    hix1k8vkt047.jpg
    I was intending to use a thinner metal that I could cut with tin snips as I have some metal spare, but I managed to get some scrap bits of steel. It's slightly too small, so the blade won't be quite the right size, but it's worth it. I was anticipating needing to buy some more jigsaw blades but a copious amount of oil enabled me to do it with only one broken blade. I still need to file the edges to make it look pretty as it's fairly rough atm. And I think I can borrow a tool for cutting the holes, so they'll look real good.
    The movie guitar uses a kickstand for the tremolo arm, I had a spring loaded kickstand on an old junk bicycle but it was cast metal, I think? (I don't really know what I'm doing) Bending/cutting it to make it fit would have been a real pain. So I gritted my teeth and bought a kickstand. It's exactly the same but it's stamped instead (I think?). Whatever, I could bend it! I've bent it to 90 degrees so it'll be easier to install and it has been filed and oiled to make it work smoothly as a lever. It's also shiny and chrome, so I consider that a good omen.
    xyj9wr7n1z6z.jpg
    Finally, I've cut out the silhouette of the aeg that'll be the 'flamethrower' in the middle layer. I still need to cut out the silhouette for bottom layer, I decided that I will trace the middle layer onto it rather than draw it twice. Hopefully that means that it will line up nicely when it is put together. You can see some lines on the layer, those are going to be cut out to reduce weight, as the guitar is quite heavy. Ignore the keyhole looking thing, that was the hole for the tremolo arm, but it's now going to be different.
    2d07c88fyfpk.jpg
    Finally, everything I've done so far together. I still haven't done the actual guitar necks, those are just the bits they'll attach to.
    3mdmvm9fdjzc.jpg
    Next step will be cutting out the bottom layer. And the guitar necks. I'm putting off assembling it as I'm planning on gluing it together. If I screw up one part I can make another, but if I screw up after it's all glued together I'll be in trouble. So at the moment I am just making the bits and planning how they will fit together.
    The photos were the right way up, but uploading them seems to make them revert to their original orientation.

• Options
    I kinda want to make a papercraft thread

But I feel like that would mostly just be me

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    grrrrr

I need a band saw.

Apparently, you can't rent one and if you don't know anyone with one, you're just out of luck.

My jigsaw can not cut through 2.5"

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    grrrrr

I need a band saw.

Apparently, you can't rent one and if you don't know anyone with one, you're just out of luck.

Sunbelt Rentals stocks them if you have one local to you, though day rentals are like $40-50.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    grrrrr

I need a band saw.

Where are you located? You might be able to find a community tool lending service or a co-op creative workspace where you can become a member to use the space or pay a small nominal fee to use some time there.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Sunbelt Rentals stocks them if you have one local to you, though day rentals are like $40-50.

the nearest one to me is over an hour away. Gas and rental costs would almost buy me one!
    Where are you located? You might be able to find a community tool lending service or a co-op creative workspace where you can become a member to use the space or pay a small nominal fee to use some time there.

I've been looking all over and can't find such a place within an hour drive.

My last resort is my stepfathers tools that have been sitting in a shed since he passed away. I'm hoping that they are still operational!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Bandsaws are incredibly simple pieces of machinery. It is super common for workshops to still be happily using 50 year old bandsaws. If the motor runs you can change out the blade yourself and oil up all the moving parts and it should be just fine.

• Options
  • Options
    pretty sure at the very least he had a table saw

not that that will help me much, but it'd be neat to play with!

• Options
    Tablesaws are amazing.

I love watching woodworkers cut complex joinery just with a table saw and a chisel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChCPX7G3u_s

As you may have noticed, I love the Fine Woodworking youtube channel

• Options
    I was proud using a coping saw and chisel to make a joint.

• Options
    PassionateLoviePassionateLovie Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    yay a craft thread! I'm so happy there is one :D
    I cross stitched Castiel from supernatural for a friend :)
    yo8ee804txdr.jpg

P.s She LOVES cats so that's why the backing is kitty fabric :3

PassionateLovie on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    So I took a sculpture class with Jordu Schell today at Jerseyfest. The project was sculpting The Goon, from the comic book series, which was surprisingly challenging:

IMG_20150828_190457.jpg

It was a good project, at least! I learned I can sculpt things even when they aren't something I'm deeply passionate about, which is useful to know, in terms of doing things like taking commissions and so on.

This discussion has been closed.