As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I wanna get a CODE with clears tenkeyless, comeon massdrop!

• Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I wanna get a CODE with clears tenkeyless, comeon massdrop!

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=keyed_up_labs,tenkeyless&pid=es87u_cc_bbb_al

If you're just looking for a solid TKL keyboard with clear switches, this may be a really good option for you. No backlighting, but full featured, and $129 inc. shipping.

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I have my heart set on the CODE with clears, although I'd like to go TKL it's only $5 less than a full size :pensive:

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I accidentaly ripped off my Blackwidow's cable. That means I don'y have any chery blues anymore.
    That's why I like removable cables.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I accidentaly ripped off my Blackwidow's cable. That means I don'y have any chery blues anymore.

Damn dude those things are pretty heartily attached.

At least the v1 blackwidows. I dunno about the green one.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I uh...

Were you trying to use it as a lasso or something? I'm fairly sure that any force strong enough to tear the cable out of a mech keyboard is probably also strong enough to completely fuck up a miniUSB port...

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    To be fair, I personally have had terrible luck with cords to things. Even cords I wouldn't have thought would give me problems, even if I treated them especially well. Maybe it was some sort of freak accident, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just from wear and tear.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm having some double-tap issues with my Steelseries 6gv2. Has anyone else has similar issues and was able to fix them?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Hey, looking for some thoughts.

I've recently become very frustrated with how jiggly and unresponsive the spacebar on my keyboard is; while I otherwise like it.

I think I might be up for trying a mechanical keyboard, and from the OP it looks like the Cherry Red might be what I'm looking for?

So, is there a way to search for a keyboard by keypress type? I browsed some stuff on newegg but there didn't seem to be an easy way to tell which was which.

Also, I've grown accustomed to the media controls on my keyboard so I don't think I can just get a plain jane keyboard with no features; but at the same time I have no real need for those super gaming keyboard with LCD screens and three dozen macro keys.

So what should I be aiming for?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Hey, looking for some thoughts.

I've recently become very frustrated with how jiggly and unresponsive the spacebar on my keyboard is; while I otherwise like it.

I think I might be up for trying a mechanical keyboard, and from the OP it looks like the Cherry Red might be what I'm looking for?

So, is there a way to search for a keyboard by keypress type? I browsed some stuff on newegg but there didn't seem to be an easy way to tell which was which.

Also, I've grown accustomed to the media controls on my keyboard so I don't think I can just get a plain jane keyboard with no features; but at the same time I have no real need for those super gaming keyboard with LCD screens and three dozen macro keys.

So what should I be aiming for?

First find a store/friend with a few boards with different switches to try. Failing that get a sampler kit. Best one I've seen, from Maxkeyboards, is out of stock at the moment. Can get others like this one from WASD..that's ALSO out of stock. So...uh...yeah.

Then you just look around for something that has media keys, once you have the switch type it may help narrow it down. Since my sample kit links were a total failure I'll try and dig up some keyboards here real quick... but you can sort by switch type (color), yes. On the left side, it's hidden. The K70 has media keys, but don't know if you want back lighting or what color if so.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Ducky Shine 3's firmware was updated a little while ago to add media functionality. The boards don't come with keycaps for the media functions, so you'll have to find after market caps to switch out or just remember the key presses.

If you have a Best Buy near you, they'll likely have the Logitech and Razer mech boards out on display. IIRC, the Razer has blues and the Logitech has browns. Decent way to get an idea of what they feel and sound like without buying a sampler. Browns, to me, feel a lot like reds. The only difference is that browns have a tactile bump. If you concentrate you'll be able to feel it. If you like that bump, and the weight feels good to you, get a board with brown switches. If don't like the bump, go with red switches.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    that was what I did; samplers don't seem like a great alternative to actually being able to type words, to me. I'm also fortunate enough to live near a fry's that has lots of display models though.

there actually don't seem to be a lot of mechanical boards with dedicated media keys; I don't know if cherry doesn't make dedicated media key switches or what, but there aren't very many of them (the new Das has them and I considered paying like 50 extra bucks literally to have a volume dial.) Lots of mechanical boards use a function key to turn a block of F keys into media buttons though, if you just need quick access to forward/back etc.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The corsair ones have media keys, and I really like how the boards look.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    out here in utah there aren't really any stores with display mechanical keyboards that I'm aware of. Best Buy now has a section of gaming PC stuff and they sell quite a few mechanical keyboards but none are there to test.

I supposed I could ask if I could pop one open and give it a go, but I doubt they'd let me.

No frys or anything like that more PC centric around here that I'm aware of.

EDIT: Maybe the BB in sandy or orem have the keyboards on actual display, I'll swing in next time in those areas.

EDIT2: this looks pretty nice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816010&cm_re=mechanical_keyboards-_-23-816-010-_-Product

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I love my Corsair K70. I don't really know why I waited so long to get a mech KB, but I'm glad this is my first one.

It may not light up in all the colors of the rainbow, but the design of a simple, flat aluminum plate under the keys more than makes up for it. I've never seen a keyboard that looked like it.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I love my Corsair K70. I don't really know why I waited so long to get a mech KB, but I'm glad this is my first one.

It may not light up in all the colors of the rainbow, but the design of a simple, flat aluminum plate under the keys more than makes up for it. I've never seen a keyboard that looked like it.

From the pictures it looks like the keys are all set up above the keyboard and appears it would be easy to clean; compared to most keyboards where the keys are set inside of a box that goes semi-flush with the keys and just collects years of disgusting shit.

Is that correct? Because if so that'd be pretty rad.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    It's both a pro and a con. It is easy to clean, but it's also visible, so if you don't clean it regularly it will look gross.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Corsair K70, the circumcised penis of mechanical keyboards?

:P

I'm gonna swing by best buy again tomorrow and double check the mechanical keyboards, but that Corsair looks awfully tempting even though it's out of my budget right now.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    So a question about the K70 for those of you who have one, or have used them; does the spacebar feel firm?

An odd question, possibly, but I was in Best Buy earlier and they had a logitech and a razr mechanical keyboard out. The Logitech's spacebar felt kinda wobbly (one of my issues with my current keyboard) but I'm not sure if that was because of just random people dicking with it (it was also missing W ), or if that's just how it is.

The Razr on the other hand, felt really solid, but I couldn't find any info on what type of keypress it uses. The only thing it said on the box was that it used a "designed from the ground up" thing, so I couldn't get a good feel for what I should be relating it to.

I know spacebars have the inherent problem of being so long and still only having one attachment point, so they're never going to feel as solid as a normal key; but there is certainly a spectrum of how well they sit on various keyboards.

They also had boxed K70's with Cherry Reds in stock but not opened, and I had my kids with me or I would have asked if I could pop it open.

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience with the Roccat Ryos MK Pro?

I am trying to figure out if all the keys are one type of switch or if they are interchangeable... What I was thinking is having WASD as Black, QERFZXC as brown, 12345 as red.

Everything I seem to find makes it seem like the whole board is just one type, but it talks about a switch for every type of gamer.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Usually mechanical keyboards are all one type of switch, with the exception of the larger keys, iirc (spacebar, for example). If you want custom switches for different keys, I think there are places where you can order full custom keyboards, but it's somewhere around $200 I think.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yes the space bar is pretty firm, its not mushy on mine

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Adding onto what mightyjongyo said: That "Switch for every gamer" means the entire board being offered in different switch colors (and may be a lie if you like X and they don't offer it...). Won't really find a pre-made board with mix and match switches. And you need to solder the switches in, so as already mentioned getting one is pricey.

• Options
    The K70 does have a firm space bar and the keys do indeed float above the aluminum base. It's a great look and looks even better with the lights on, since the red lights reflect off the metallic base.

I got the Cherry Reds and all the keys,including space, are smooth and responsive.

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Adding onto what mightyjongyo said: That "Switch for every gamer" means the entire board being offered in different switch colors (and may be a lie if you like X and they don't offer it...). Won't really find a pre-made board with mix and match switches. And you need to solder the switches in, so as already mentioned getting one is pricey.

Ok, that is what I was thinking... They offer Blue, Red, Brown, Black. They just are not very clear on if they can be interchanged or not.
    KEY SWITCHES TO SUIT EVERY GAMER
    The Ryos MK Pro comes locked and loaded in the four most popular key switch colors – blue, black, brown, and red – meaning you can pick the key switches that suit YOU. With durable CHERRY MX key switches that last up to an incredible 50 MILLION keystrokes and laser-etched, UV-coated keycaps, wear and tear will be the least of your concerns.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    The K70 does have a firm space bar and the keys do indeed float above the aluminum base. It's a great look and looks even better with the lights on, since the red lights reflect off the metallic base.

I got the Cherry Reds and all the keys,including space, are smooth and responsive.

Sounds good!

Just out of curiosity do you use the textured/angled wasd/12345 keys, or just the normal ones?

I can see how maybe they'd be nice for gaming, though I've never really felt lacking with plain keys; but does it get annoying when just typing?

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

Are they quiet? I'm interested in the K70 but hate how loud mechanical keyboards are, but I heard there are variations that exist that are as quiet or almost as quiet as membranes.

• Options
    Outside of blues (or greens I guess) the noise from typing isn't the actual mechanical switch but from you bottoming out. If you're a heavy typist then blacks may be for you. You could also add o-rings but you'd have to pull every keycap off and may not like the mushy-ness of the keypresses dependent upon which type of o-ring you get.

• Options
    I would say that reds are louder than regular membrane keyboards, but they're much louder as long as you're a soft typist. If you're not a soft typist, then they're loud. They certainly don't click though, so the sound they make is different than what people expect from clicky keyboards.

• Options

Sounds good!

Just out of curiosity do you use the textured/angled wasd/12345 keys, or just the normal ones?

I can see how maybe they'd be nice for gaming, though I've never really felt lacking with plain keys; but does it get annoying when just typing?

I do use the special WASD keys and the numbers through 6. They are a lot more pronounced than the normal tactile bumps on keys, so it's really easy to hit the right spot and they aren't so much that interferes with normal typing. Also, the backlighting can be limited to just those keys (plus arrow keys).

The mechanical keys themselves feel considerably more sensitive to typing, which takes some time to get used to. The sound from the Cherry reds come from the key caps hitting the tops of the switches and it is a bit louder than membrane or scissor keys. There's no sound from the switches themselves, so if you don't strike each key through it's full range of motion when you you type, the sound should be minimal. I believe rubber o-rings alleviate the sound, so I might try them at some future date.

• Options
    Slight correction: The sound is from the keycap middle striking the base the switch sits in/keyboard maybe, not the top of the switch itself. The keycap slips over the top of the switch, so is already touching it. The oring slips around the same middle and gets between the keycap and the base.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There is also a sound from the key topping out.

(I filmed this using my S3, which actually has an okay camera on it, but the lens screen is heavily scratched so it looks like a potato camera)

http://s307.photobucket.com/user/chrishallett83/media/20140625_150451_zpsf72ab39a.mp4.html

Cherry red switches with blue o-rings in a Ducky Shine 3.

And yes, I know it needs cleaning. My apartment is incredibly dusty because our carpet is literally falling apart.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    On my keyboard, if I type light enough to keep from bottoming out, it still makes a bit of noise when topping out from the spring popping the key back up.

I've never once gotten a complaint from my wife or kids for typing while they sleep. It's negligible.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    any recommended scissor-switch keyboards?

ETA: i'm not enthusiastic about them but i do enjoy the really short activation distance and smaller movements required. would love to try an extremely short-throw mechanical keyboard, as the normal ones aren't my cuppa/feel too slow

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    I had a Logitech slimline scissor switch keyboard that was beautiful. Completely useless for gaming, so I gave it to my partner to take to work.

• Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    I'd really like a Cherry MX Brown keyboard. 87-88 key preferred. WASD keyboards is out of stock, any other recommendations (in stock)?

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i reckon i'll get the corsair k70 mx brown and o-ring it when it drops later in august

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've used a DAS keyboard, and a CM quickfire (or whatever it's called). Both have seemed OK from a build standpoint in my experience (around 6 months now).

• Options
    also had an opportunity to try a razer and a logitech gaming keyboard

the razer had mx blue and was pretty noisy, but the logitech had mx brown and surprisingly already had o-rings installed.

RxI0N.png