As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Forar wrote:
    blahmcblah wrote:
    So Leyline of the Void was trolling? :?

No, if Grafdigger's Cage was like a Leyline it would have been trolling, I think he means.

Exactly.

I'm not saying that ability makes a troll card. I'm saying that a card of that power with that ability tacked on might as well have included trollface.jpg somewhere in the art. It would've been hilarious.

Mental Misstep was a troll card.

That got banned incredibly fast in almost all formats.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    There's gotta be a way with modern templating to do "Counter target spell if its mana cost was not paid" (or "counter any number of target spells if their mana costs were not paid") and "Destroy target creature that entered the battlefield this turn without being cast."

Give them Phyrexian mana costs, put them in the next Commander or Planechase product.

There, dredge & storm are dead in Legacy and you haven't screwed up other formats at all.

Y U NO DO THIS WIZARDS*

* assuming they actually want to kill dredge & storm

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    BTW, I totally thought that through for like two minutes and there are obviously no flaws in that plan.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    There's gotta be a way with modern templating to do "Counter target spell if its mana cost was not paid" (or "counter any number of target spells if their mana costs were not paid") and "Destroy target creature that entered the battlefield this turn without being cast."

Give them Phyrexian mana costs, put them in the next Commander or Planechase product.

There, dredge & storm are dead in Legacy and you haven't screwed up other formats at all.

Y U NO DO THIS WIZARDS*

Well, as I understand there are spells that hose storm pretty hard. There's an extremely low cost counterspell with storm, came out in commander, and also a trap that counters all spells if an opponent played more than three spells this turn.

Not sure the best way to kill dredge in counterspell form.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i hate tokens.

i hate them.

i really, really do.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Can I ask why? I assume you saw the new token card preview.

• Options
    Can I ask why? I assume you saw the new token card preview.

a combination of aesthetics and disliking gamefeel both with and against tokens.

they clog the battlefield, they're not real creatures, and they make combat math grindier.
    they encourage anthems (more irritating math) and they require sweepers to deal with while making spot removal worse.
    combinations of indestructible and awful death triggers (like wurmcoil) make standard sort of oppressive to board control strategies
    while making them necessary if you don't want to swing hordes into other hordes.

i prefer non-blue control elements (B/W discard/removal, not B/W token swarms)
    and i feel like between flashback and all the creature keywords and tokens,
    the games i enjoy playing in magic might not be happening much in this format.

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Markov_Blademasterdarkascension.jpgstromkirkcaptaindka.jpgflingdka.jpgthoughtscourdka.jpglingeringsoulsdka.jpghelvaultdka.jpg

tokens are my fave thing

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Judging by the Stromkirk Captain and the Wolf lord guy, looks like we're getting a cycle of tribal lords. Looking forward to the zombie one. I've had half a Grimgrin EDH deck sitting around waiting for some more useful zombies to come my way. Maybe this way I can escape having to drop 10+ bucks on a Death Baron.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    welp. time to make my helvault/worldslayer deck

Oh so I don't like bragging? It makes me feel bad. Like Hank Hill in King of the Hill, feeling happy about stuff wiill only cause disaster later. But I'll try it anyways. Maybe try feeling happy? I'll try that out. *ahem*

So I did a draft today. They switched from mirrodin block to INN by popularity. My first pack had a foil Snapcaster Mage (and Mikeaus). So I got a foil snapcaster. Yay. After losing two rounds, and winning two rounds, it was over and I traded my foil for two Lilianas, and two dual lannds (w/b and w/r). I've never pulled a liliana out of 10 fat packs, 2? boxes, and several single packs, so finally having a lili (two!) was nice. Then I got 9th out of 14th, the last place to get a free pack (bottom five got promos). I picked INN and got flip Garruk. Joy. Yaaay draft.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Eh. Helvault would be awesome if all the cards came back under your control but 7 mana for a repeatable oblivion ring?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    then you exile it so they never return lol

so right now my plan is to helavut, acidic slime, invader parasite (exile slime), exile parasite + destroy helvat somehow. repeat. then seance them if they ever do die :3

different question, but aside from how stupid it is to pull off, how easy is it to destroy parallel lives + seance in the current meta?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    Why not just put an Acidic Slime on Mimic Vat?

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Feral wrote:
    There's gotta be a way with modern templating to do "Counter target spell if its mana cost was not paid"

Look up a spell called "Nix," from Future Sight.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Helvault will go nicely in my Zirilan of the Claw EDH. I recently found out Urabrask kind of sucks as a dragon-themed general, since he never lives long enough to actually matter. Zirilan can at least summon Dragon Mage or Dragon Tyrant for massive carnage. Helvault also keeps blue players from stealing my mans.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    B.C. wrote:

:?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Now that I can read the DailyMTG site, it's amusing to see how Innistrad's story will play out. It's pretty obvious how Avacyn will be brought back, but the reason why this will happen is hilariously ironic.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Because angels are douchebags?

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    No...
    Because Liliana has to bust open the Helvault to free one of the three (remaining) demons to whom she sold her soul so she can off him to effectively back out of their deal while still keeping her powers. Avacyn's in there too, as she was trapped in it while fighting said demon.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Sorin should strap a tracker device on her. There has to be some plane that has the technology and he's like a million years old.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Chen wrote:
    Sorin should strap a tracker device on her. There has to be some plane that has the technology and he's like a million years old.

The MTG multiverse is surprisingly low-tech on the whole. Or maybe not so surprisingly, given that they all harbor a ton of magic. Even artifacers power their devices with mana more often than not.

If we had magic we wouldn't have needed to develop technology either. :P

• Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    Looking forward to coopting the new vampire creatures into my weak vampire deck. Definately also gotta fill of on stromkirk nobles.

• Options
    Right, I forgot about Nix.
    Vyolynce wrote:
    No...
    Because Liliana has to bust open the Helvault to free one of the three (remaining) demons to whom she sold her soul so she can off him to effectively back out of their deal while still keeping her powers. Avacyn's in there too, as she was trapped in it while fighting said demon.

That makes a ton of sense, actually.

• Options
    I really like the new three-drop Vampires, but RB vamps has a ton of three-drops already (Crossway, Bloodrage, Volt Charge, Brimstone) and not a lot at two (Bloodcrazed Neonate and Vampire Interloper, neither of which I'm in love with, and both are much worse than RDW's Stormblood Berserker.)

Stromkirk Captain is pretty nice, though, because it solves two problems with RB vamps - 1) we need better reasons to actually run a tribal deck and 2) it makes blocking more dangerous.

Also: Fling in limited with morbid is going to be hilarious.

• Options
    what to people think of desperate ravings? i found it used to good effect at draft yesterday. It's a good card advantage if you're both r/u and flashback it. and with instant you can use it at good times.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    I pick it over Claustrophobia in my Burning Vengeance deck, so yeah. Soon there'll be a blue Burning Vengeance, so guess I can continue forcing this archetype.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    welp, bought a box of italian future sight from SCG. Here's to gambling!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Here's hoping for a foil goyf! Though it's probably worth half of an english one and a third of a japanese or chinese one.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:

Y U NO DO THIS WIZARDS*

It's not that they want dredge/storm kiiled, but they wouldn't mind if those decks took fleshwounds. Traditionally, the "pillars of vintage" have been Bazaar (Dredge and other shenanigans), Mishra's Workshop (For cheap beefy men and disruption) and Dark Ritual (Storm) as your top tier decks, with some room for others, but those being the three biggest pillars. More recently we've seen Oath of Druids and Fish as legimate tier 1 decks, along with random stuff like GW, Goblins, etc.

The general feeling at WTC seems to be that they want to basically nerf some of the more miserable decks to play against. I'm not psyched about it, but it's not a travesty.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    Here's hoping for a foil goyf! Though it's probably worth half of an english one and a third of a japanese or chinese one.

Oh man good luck!

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    20120108235855.jpg

/gloat

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Nice!
    I hope to hell they reprint Goyf.

I'm loving all the new token cards. Flashback is great, will make it so much easier to recover from a board wipe.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I can see B/W tokens with Sorin becoming a deck. Not sure on how it would generate card advantage, but honor the pure/intangible virtue/sorin's emblems could make for hella strong tokens.

t1 doomed traveller/signal pest
    t2 intangible virtue/honor the pure
    t3 midnight haunting/new token card with flashback
    t4 sorin

Throw in say oblivion ring/doom blade/go for the throat, and you're in business.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    4 sorins are equal to like 8 honor of the pures you probably don't need 12

what b/w tokens needs is bitterblossom

unban bitterblossom

hahahahahaha i almost typed that with a straight face

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Totally want to splash green for Parallel Lives. I don't understand how that card isn't used more. At the very least, it'll break the back of any control deck that stabilizes at low life.

• Options
    meh. roc egg + doj fo lyfe, yo.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote:
    B.C. wrote:

:?

man i loved playing that deck

it was so good when you survived

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Totally want to splash green for Parallel Lives. I don't understand how that card isn't used more. At the very least, it'll break the back of any control deck that stabilizes at low life.

- Play Ghave.

- Play Parallel Lives.

- Try not to look too smug.

- Garner ire of everyone at table.

... yes, I'm aware this is even more true with Doubling Season. I am not paying $20 for one of those things.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Forar wrote:
    - Play Ghave.

- Try not to look too smug.

- Garner ire of everyone at table.

Ghave is an amazing general. You can pack the deck with so many game-ending combos and synergies. He is just out of control.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Hey, speaking of Mimic Vat...
    urw7e3ifpk_en.jpg

Feral on