As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    img_0232.jpg
    using adosbox

img_0233.jpg
    using adosbox

img_3194.jpg
    using gemRB

I enjoy "android" gaming. I'm halfway through Betrayal at Krondor right now.

My mom bought me a Samsung tablet this weekend, and the very first thing I did was try and install Betrayal at Krondor with DosBox, but sadly trying to control the mouse pointer with touch controls is really really hard. Not to mention I can't figure out how to drag and drop, so I can't even pick up items.

How are you managing to play BaK, 'cause I'd be in heaven if I could just get the controls sorted out.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    bg2 on gemrb is unplayable and that's on my note 3. takes 17 years to load a game and is so damn slow.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'm still enjoying Another Case Solved. It's a match 3-or-more puzzler much of the time, but there's objectives within that, and the main cases have other game elements as well. Free with in-app purchases, but that's just for more candy, the premium currency that you can earn in the game.
    captaink wrote: »
    I got rid of my android tablet recently, actually. If someone wants to do it I'll copy-paste it into the OP.

Will this work, or would you prefer one consolidated list?
    Morran wrote: »
    Good android games:

-The room. Neat puzzle/problem solving game
    -Broken sword 1, Broken sword 2 - neat remake of the old games
    -Ridiculous fishing - its vlambeer goddamit!
    -Incredipede - build a machine made out of flesh and bone, and see it scramble across the screen!
    -Middle manager of justice - double fine game.
    -Rymdkapsel - nice RTS/tower defence lite.
    -Epoch - fairly simple action game. Good looking though!
    -Bridge constructor - build a bridge. Somewhat detailed physics simulator.
    -Jetpack Joyride - one of the more polished constant runner games. F2P, but the free version is very playable!
    -Blood of the zombies - a choose-your-own adventure made by CYA ian livingstone!
    -Neuroshima hex - nice strategic board-game.
    -Robotek - glorified slot machine dressed up in a tactical game, but a very polished one!
    -Machinarium - nice adventure game (old click-click-click type).
    -Osmos HD - a bit hard to explain. action/puzzle game where you are a blob trying to eat smaller blobs. Free demo.
    -World of GOO - just play this game.
    Apostate wrote: »
    Both the Kingdom Rush games (first one, second one) are great if you like tower defense. Some IAP but I doubt I spent more than $10-15 for the both of them.
    Galaxy on Fire 2 is pretty fun. It's basically an Elite space ship style game. I think I spent 5$ on it so far and I'm not seeing anything where I'm going to have to fork over a bunch of money any time soon.
    Plants vs. Zombie 2 is free and they just added stuff. The IAP is pretty optional if you're good at the game.
    Major Mayhem is a good little rails style shooter. Don't think I have spent anything on it TBH.
    Reaper was some good fun. It's a premium title but IIRC it's pretty cheap. Sort of a sidescroller RPG. Kind of hard to explain though.
    Frem wrote: »
    Yeah, and there's still a ton that ya'll didn't mention.
    Tactics: Frozen Synapse, Hero Academy, Greed Corp, Worms 2, Rune Raiders
    Racing: Need for Speed Most Wanted
    Puzzle: Splice, SpaceChem
    Casual: TripleTown
    Arcade: Tilt to Live 2, Aaaaaaaa!, Raiden Legacy, Super Hexagon
    Card: CardCityNights
    Roguelike: Ending, Hoplite
    ???: Spaceteam, Anomaly 2, Hundreds, Spider: Secret of something something
    Also Aquaria, which you can't get any more apparently? :(

A significant number of awesome games debuted Android ports in Humble Android Bundles; it's worth keeping an eye on them.

Also, also! I paid my $10 and am downloading the beta of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition onto my Nexus 7 AT THIS VERY MOMENT. The developer says to wait for a few more updates before trying a full playthrough, but one guy says he did a speed run of the main quest without any show-stopping issues. Excitement!

Dizzen on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Holy fuck.

@Dizzen, you a god damn G.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Some guy on reddit posted this
    oPvRNUM.jpg
    Apparently with limelight and a semi-modern nvidia card, you can stream your steam library onto pretty much any android tablet. Tried it with my cheapo china tablet and it worked. Don't even need a nvidia shield tablet. Some port forwarding may be needed, I didn't need any though

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know people will hate to hear this or disagree with me, but I tried Farmville 2 on the Android the other night based on a few favorable reviews and they were right: the game is fun. It's probably not for everyone, but I love management games like Game Dev Story (or everything from that company) and managing a farm, mixing recipes and choosing whether I want to focus on making money or leveling up is really fun. I know Zynga is evil, but they've really taken a step forward with it and made a fun game that doesn't involve harassing everyone you know.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Shadowrun Returns is on sale on the Play Store for $4. I'm really enjoying it and I imagine it has some replay value with the RPG aspect.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    @Dizzen‌ great list, I stuck it in the OP.

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    Shadowrun Returns is on sale on the Play Store for $4. I'm really enjoying it and I imagine it has some replay value with the RPG aspect.

In the description it says it requires a tablet device. Is that true or will it work on a phone?

404 not found
  • Options
    I'll try it out on my HTC one and let you know. I suspect the font might be too small

steam_sig.png

• Options
    To be honest, it runs better on my HTC one than on my gen 1 nexus 7. And I would say it's playable, but the font is pretty small. It would probably be nice if you could zoom in more too

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    They discount Shadowrun right after Baldur's Gate comes out? >_<
    That's cruel. Do we know if Dragonfall will be a separate app?

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    To be honest, it runs better on my HTC one than on my gen 1 nexus 7. And I would say it's playable, but the font is pretty small. It would probably be nice if you could zoom in more too

Ok thanks for testing it for me, I think I'll grab it. Worst case is I'll have to wait till I get a tablet.

404 not found
  • Options
    Yeah. I would say the font is just a little too small, even on a 7 inch tablet but it's still very legible. They also just put out an update that allows you to save anywhere which is a big improvement when it comes to mobile gaming.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    heineznxheineznx Registered User new member
    I've just discovered 2048 and let's just say that my productivity has gone down drastically. What's weird is that I don't even really like the game that much. Just so darn addictive.

• Options
    i can't wait for dragonfall on the go, it's about a 10000000x better than dead man's switch.

• Options
    This is good news:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is coming to Google Play and the Amazon Appstore "soon," according to the game's
    http://kotaku.com/xcom-enemy-unknown-is-coming-to-google-play-and-the-am-1566616928

steam_sig.png

• Options
    This is good news:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is coming to Google Play and the Amazon Appstore "soon," according to the game's
    http://kotaku.com/xcom-enemy-unknown-is-coming-to-google-play-and-the-am-1566616928

oh my fucking god i'm gonna have to buy 3 more spare batteries.

• Options
    I already have it on PC and PS3 but I actually have time to game on my tablet. I could easily see myself buying it a third time.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So after close to a year, the ONLY game on Android I still play on a daily basis is Love Live. I'll definitely be pimping its virtues more once it's actually available outside of the non-JP Play Store or as apks on a fan site (English version supposed to come out this year). While it's a F2P rhythm game with cards and stats and abilities, they're actually pretty generous with the premium currencies which I think is why a lot of people keep playing. As long as you're not trying to rank in each event, you'll be able to save up enough to do a bunch of rare card draws every few months. Plus they keep adding new songs every few weeks.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    This is good news:

Does Google Play have the app size restrictions that App Store does? Could we potentially get Enemy Within, too?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    This is good news:

Does Google Play have the app size restrictions that App Store does? Could we potentially get Enemy Within, too?

If it does, it probably wouldn't matter. Games like Plants vs Zombies or Sims 3 install a small app only to download more data themselves afterwards, I don't think there is any rule about that.

• Options
    There's that MMO, too. That thing is huge.

• Options
    heineznx wrote: »
    I've just discovered 2048 and let's just say that my productivity has gone down drastically. What's weird is that I don't even really like the game that much. Just so darn addictive.

Check out Threes!, also. It started off recent surge of terrible Threes! clones sliding number games, and it's much more interesting than most of them, imho.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Which?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    The app size restriction is just for the initial download. It doesn't have anything to with the final size of a game which can have additional downloads.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Which?

Order and Chaos?

The WoW ripoff.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    The app size restriction is just for the initial download. It doesn't have anything to with the final size of a game which can have additional downloads.

See The Bard's Tale for truth, that sucker's up to 3.5GB after installing if you choose the high resolution models.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of FFIV lately. The addition of the auto battle makes the game so much better, especially when you're grinding for levels.

• Options
    BTW, BG:EE? Totally very much awesome. In my pocket. Living the future so hard.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Been playing Pixel Dungeon lately and its a great roguelike game. Had to do a factory reset on my phone and redownloaded it. So before I struggled to get to level 4 then my first game since the restart I get to the third boss before dying. Hell of a run.

• Options
    So apparently Xcom is actually out on Android NOW. And it's having a promotional launch thing where it's only $10 (regular $20). I think I'm probably going to have to get this a third time later today. Damn it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    oh those fuckers knew i was getting paid today.

edit: huh, UFO: alien invasion is on play too... not that it matters anymore.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS APP IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH ALL MY DEVICES???

Is... Is my 2012 Nexus 7 unworthy of XCOM? :'(

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    I feel like I'd still rather have it on the PC, but that's a hell of a tablet release.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @Frem - the 2012 is the original one, right? the Play store says it is compatible with mine. Hell it even says it's compatible with my old Nexus One

CORRECTION: I was looking at the Guide. Yeah it doesn't appear to be compatible with my Nexus 7 either. Only my HTC One.

I want to play this so bad. I would love to hear from anyone about how it runs on a phone.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    @Frem - the 2012 is the original one, right? the Play store says it is compatible with mine. Hell it even says it's compatible with my old Nexus One

CORRECTION: I was looking at the Guide. Yeah it doesn't appear to be compatible with my Nexus 7 either. Only my HTC One.

I want to play this so bad. I would love to hear from anyone about how it runs on a phone.

It's running great on my Note 3. Big ass 5.7 inch screen and the fact that it's aware and uses the Stylus properly (so many games like this DON'T, which is just silly), probably make for a better experience than a 4 inch screen and fat fingers. Same for Baldur's Gate EE, though based on some feedback I'll wait for a few more updates before trying the whole campaign on my phone. Now, if both of these games could allow cloud saving between PC and phone, I'd be in heaven.

Edit: The 3GB of RAM on this phone probably help a great deal as well, leaving room for all the textures to load and such. Have heard others complain of missing backgrounds or black textures on both games, never had a problem myself.

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    God I love this Note 3

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    Anyone playing Fantasica? Friend had me start today, seems pretty nifty. Tower Defense card collection game with a couple different hooks, still have no idea what I'm doing.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of Mobage games. I can never log into my account with them and you need to spend money with them once you hit a certain point in their games.

Does Fantasica have a tutorial? The last two Mobage games I played (Blood Brother and Marvel Heroes at War) had the shittiest tutorial ever.