As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Syndicate: Loards for cheap, Orikae's calling it now - GOTY 2012.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Here we go, from IGN
    According to the Classification Board report, the fact that enemies and corpses "can be explicitly dismembered, decapitated or bisected by the force of the gunfire" was a major problem.

Civilians can be targeted also, but cannot be dismembered. The report did, however, note that in cooperative gameplay "points are awarded for civilian casualties."

The report concludes:

"In the opinion of the Board, the game contains intense sequences of violence which include detailed depictions of decaptitation and dismemberment that are high in playing impact. The game also contains the ability to inflict repeated and realistic post mortem damage which exceeds strong in playing impact. It is therefore unsuitable for a minor to see or play and should be Refused Classification pursuant to item 1(d) of the computer games table of the Code."

The last game refused classification in Australia was The House of the Dead: Overkill for PS3, but Sega successfully appealed the decision and the rating was lowered to MA15+.

Honestly I was likely just going to get ME3, but I hate the rating system in this country so much

wait till australia learns about gay alien space RAPE in mass effect 3

But Rolo, the best part about our rating system is the inconsistency. So decapitation in this game? Too far. Decapitation in the Fallout games? MA15+.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    They filled their quota for this quarter and can let whatever through now.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Hard is hard guys.

Specially when you only have half a team.

• Options
    I love this game.

My warcrime revolve can shoot dudes in half now.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Hard is hard guys.

Specially when you only have half a team.
    We almost got Gabron down to half health that one time!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Syndicate's an isometric world domination sim.

This is just a fps that's called Syndicate because they want to tap into the CoD market without putting effort into a new IP with a new name.

• Options
    Hey, that's a new and fresh perspective that definitely hasn't become tired and boring by now.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Yeah, the market's being overwhelmed by global takeover sims from an isometric perspective at the moment. What was going through Bullfrog's mind when they made the original, I'll never know.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Meiz wrote:
    Yeah, the market's being overwhelmed by global takeover sims from an isometric perspective at the moment. What was going through Bullfrog's mind when they made the original, I'll never know.

That wasn't what he was referring to.

• Options
    Rolo gets it.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    As I've already said, I would have preferred a squad based shooter but those are just harder to make well.

A standard-ish FPS is just easier. Look, I love the original syndicate but it just won't sell that well if they used the whole isometric viewpoint style.

• Options
    Tycho's newspost today pretty much hits the nail on the head, I think. Yes, it's a shooter - but it requires that you approach things from a different angle than most shooters do.

No, this isn't the Syndicate we remember, or even the one we necessarily wanted. But it's still pretty cool. I mean, if you absolutely can't stand shooters, then sure give this one a pass. But if you object simply because it isn't the game you played almost 20 years ago, you're choosing to miss something fun for basically no reason.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    If they're going to do a as-was remake, they should re-do Syndicate Wars anyway. Its better then Syndicate.

THERE I SAID IT AND I'M NEVER TAKING IT BACK

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This game is sort of "post-cyberpunk" guys. You play as a corporate thug.

Although I bet your guy either switches allegiances or decides to be a good guy somewhere in the second or third act of the story.

• Options
    Tycho's newspost today pretty much hits the nail on the head, I think. Yes, it's a shooter - but it requires that you approach things from a different angle than most shooters do.

No, this isn't the Syndicate we remember, or even the one we necessarily wanted. But it's still pretty cool. I mean, if you absolutely can't stand shooters, then sure give this one a pass. But if you object simply because it isn't the game you played almost 20 years ago, you're choosing to miss something fun for basically no reason.

It's not the Syndicate we remember nor is it Syndicate. It could have another name on it and people wouldn't make the comparison because they're two very different games. That's the point.

It'd be like calling Deus Ex 3 Shenmue. Why do it at all?

It's not that I can't stand shooters it's just that there is so many of them out there.

Taking an IP I'd like to see resurrected and putting it in an FPS mold when the original concept is unique and original is like taking your dick and slapping me in the face with it.

As for it being good? The chances of it living up to my expectations considering the team developing it decided to go for yet another FPS, in stead of the rts of awesome that was the original, are slim. I'm not optimistic and it will likely go the way of Shadowrun.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    yeah 'cuz developers were just scrambling over each other to revive this Syndicate thing before this FPS came along

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    This game is sort of "post-cyberpunk" guys. You play as a corporate thug.

Although I bet your guy either switches allegiances or decides to be a good guy somewhere in the second or third act of the story.
    Apparently you do end up opposing Eurocorp at some point, though I recall reading a developer commenting somewhere that you don't so much end up being the good guy as you do end up opposing the bad guys for your own reasons. I guess we'll see.

@Meiz I see where you're coming from, I just don't agree at all. I can't subscirbe to the sort of "Don't Tread on Me" indignation you're channeling here, but if it helps you save sixty bucks a few times a year, then more power to you.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'll download this when I get home. Then somebody shoot things with me.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    yeah 'cuz developers were just scrambling over each other to revive this Syndicate thing before this FPS came along

this

even if you hate that this game has nothing to do with Syndicate you should want it to do well so that publishers will take another look at the IP

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I miss Syndicate Wars VS mode.

One time during a LAN party I used nuclear grenades to drop a building on an entire opposing squad, earning myself a nice loud "What the FUCK?!" from across the room.

Good times.

The new game's a lot of fun, though. I like that the weapons feel weighty (BELT-FED SHOTGUN) and that the netcode seems nice and stable. Also remote squad healing.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Goddamned internet is so slow I can't connect to PSN. If some corp (besides ATT) asks me to join a bunch of cyborg jerks and attack Verizon, I am filling out my will and going for it.

• Options
    It's not a "don't tread on me" thing.
    Shorty wrote:
    Dichotomy wrote:

this

even if you hate that this game has nothing to do with Syndicate you should want it to do well so that publishers will take another look at the IP

This is implying that they are reviving Syndicate. They aren't. They're making a FPS and naming it Syndicate. There's a difference.

I'd argue that publishers won't take another look at the IP because they didn't for shadowrun and despite having an audience considering games like Starcraft, Civ, League of legends ect, would rather make an fps and target the largest market share. This is how suits think. It's more likely that they will make an FPS called Syndicate as a sequel before they ever try to tap a market share that holds less people.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Waah waaah waah

My videogames

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yeah, like Fallout taught us, clinging to the past too tight is a bad idea.

'sides, Paradox is making the game you want. Cartel. Worth a look.

• Options
    Wait until they make your little virtual dollhouse into a FPS in a sea of FPS'

Then you'll see. You'll all see

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Meiz wrote:

They did. I said the same things. Then it started to look sucky, so I shrugged and moved on. Then they announced a TBS, and I rejoiced with others. L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    A Sims FPS would be amazing, actually.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    People bein' snobs about Wub Wubs and Vidjya Garms in here?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Meiz wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

and what do you know, it looks kinda neat.

My only objection was it was set int he 1950s. which is a really dumb idea.

Oh well. Maybe if the fps does well they will make a new stratagy game using the rebooted syndicate stuff. it's still cyborg agents doing stuff for questionable reasons.
    I'll download this when I get home. Then somebody shoot things with me.

Message me on steam when you got it downloaded and i will be there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYrRebvFHc

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I might download the 360 demo of this later tonight

also hahahaha about failing to respect 20-year-old dead videogame licenses

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Meiz wrote:
    Yeah ok, I may have overstated your position. Sorry.

If it makes you feel any better, GOG recently got the original Syndicate and you can buy it for like, six bucks. So you can have your Syndicate and play it, too.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Meiz wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, GOG recently got the original Syndicate and you can buy it for like, six bucks. So you can have your Syndicate and play it, too.

I was hoping to writhe in the corner with my fist in the air in dismay some more. Maybe in 5 minutes.

• Options
    Also heretic two, coming from a solid fps suddenly becomes a shitty third person shooter. Legacy of kain becoming an action game when it was an action rpg.

Games change all the time.

I guess the reason why people care about it this time is because the original game is old and a lot of people haven't heard of it.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Hot damn, playing this thing on solo is a pain in the ass, but it makes co-op so much easier.

It's me, I'm the boss.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    hey, hey you you playing this on xbox?

• Options
    Meiz wrote:
    Meiz wrote:

I was hoping to writhe in the corner with my fist in the air in dismay some more. Maybe in 5 minutes.
    0:22
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHChmYcpdd4

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

Yep, sent you a friend request last night.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

oh okay!

• Options
    I got some things i want to do right now before i can sink into never leaving the house for the rest of the day, but yo will be hearing from me. And Soon.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:

oh okay!
    Send me one, too. I'm not a weirdo or anything, honest!

Currently Playing: