Options

Official I Hate [Final Fantasy] Thread: Dead like FF XIV's userbase. New thread.

1939495969799»

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The other worlds seem to rely a lot on lost technology, Protheans-style. X for example, though by X-2, they're starting to build off of it.

I thought X was more a case of them having the technology, it still exists, and they still understand it, but they're forbidden to use it by their religion. The Al Bhed got no problem getting that stuff working again, to the point where I'd consider it their technology. That aside, FFX is still totally futuristic; Blitzball arenas, man. Antigravity water spheres. :D

There's the distinct impression that, with a few exceptions, they can't manufacture it (I think data spheres are one of those, and that's mostly in X-2, as I said). Take the airship for example--they can salvage it, but until X-2, they certainly can't build a new one. Antigravity water spheres versus an inability to build said spheres any longer. :D

I guess the Al Bhed who are the entire industrial base, are the exception.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I started using the included Stylus. This thing is fantastic.
    Now, what character should I put on it? Because sadly, all the best ones aren't an option.

Moogle

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The other worlds seem to rely a lot on lost technology, Protheans-style. X for example, though by X-2, they're starting to build off of it.

I thought X was more a case of them having the technology, it still exists, and they still understand it, but they're forbidden to use it by their religion. The Al Bhed got no problem getting that stuff working again, to the point where I'd consider it their technology. That aside, FFX is still totally futuristic; Blitzball arenas, man. Antigravity water spheres. :D

There's the distinct impression that, with a few exceptions, they can't manufacture it (I think data spheres are one of those, and that's mostly in X-2, as I said). Take the airship for example--they can salvage it, but until X-2, they certainly can't build a new one. Antigravity water spheres versus an inability to build said spheres any longer. :D

Again though, is that an inability to reproduce it, or an unwillingness to do so because they are forbidden by Yevon? I'd lean more towards the latter considering how quickly the tech stuff picks up in X-2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    Well, the Al Bhed are considered outcasts for using technology as they do, too.

APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    How big were the Al-bhed in X? I don't think they were that large a group to do anything other than dig up and tinker with stuff, especially when 90% of the world thinks that technology will summon the devil to kill your entire village. And rightfully so, since, y'know, it actually does.

Now that the stigma is gone, there shouldn't really be anything stopping them from advancing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So as someone who kind of "got out" of RPGs in the mid-2000s and missed all this hype, can someone fill me in on Versus XIII?

I guess my main question is why are people SO excited about it given that XIII is not that well regarded, and XIII-2 wasn't exactly universally loved either?

What has actually been revealed about the game to get people so excited?

Well, first off, it has nothing to do with XIII. The name is stupid. It should just be "Versus" or a number.

- Every single trailer has been amazing. Seriously, take a look at some of them.
    - Set in a FF world that's actual modern (with fantastic elements still) with the main city based on a combination of New York and Tokyo.
    - Action RPG and made by the Kindgom Hearts and Advent Children teams.
    - Camera and playstyle changes based on weapon. Using a gun switched to 3rd person over the shoulder for example.
    - Stated to be the most 'mature' Final Fantasy for adults (possibly M rating). Blood, more adult themes, etc.
    - Yoko Shimomura doing the soundtrack.

I'll be happy if if ever releases and doesn't go vaporware on us.

Yep, though you've missed one more important bit:
    - Exploration is more in line with FFXII than the straight paths in FFX/XIII.

God dammit, I thought I was annoyed at this game's vaporware status before and then you go and drop that nugget of info. I DID NOT KNOW THIS. Of course, I'm totally interpreting "Exploration is more in line with FFXII.." as "This game is like FFXII. You LOVE FFXII. You will LOVE Versus XIII." But that's OK!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    How big were the Al-bhed in X? I don't think they were that large a group to do anything other than dig up and tinker with stuff, especially when 90% of the world thinks that technology will summon the devil to kill your entire village. And rightfully so, since, y'know, it actually does.

Now that the stigma is gone, there shouldn't really be anything stopping them from advancing.

They weren't really a "group" so much as an entire ethnic community.

So I mean probably pretty big.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Again though, is that an inability to reproduce it, or an unwillingness to do so because they are forbidden by Yevon? I'd lean more towards the latter considering how quickly the tech stuff picks up in X-2.

One tends to lead to the other. See the loss of very basic engineering in the Dark Ages. And they're still working in X-2, albeit with big strides.

Actually knowing how the stuff works is the easy part. Developing an industrial base to manufacture everything is harder. To quote Firaxis, you don't just grab sand off the beach and produce a hover tank. You use crude tools, to make better tools, and those better tools to make more precise ones...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    We're gunna need a new thread soon. Someone go grab XoB.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So playing 4 Heroes of Light.

Its definitely more challenging then your average FF. It's also vastly more annoying because finding the right shape of gem to upgrade crowns is pretty infuriating at certain points in the game.

Its fun though, oddly so. I guess I miss a good challenge in my rpgs these days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

I'm here already, thinking of new ways to hate.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    [img][/img]

I'm here already, thinking of new ways to hate.

Badness is what you demonstrate
    And that's exactly how angers works and operates
    You gotta have love just to set it straight
    Take control of your mind and meditate
    Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all

Why we 'hating?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.