Options

Official I Hate [Final Fantasy] Thread: Dead like FF XIV's userbase. New thread.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    A source tells Siliconera the coliseum is about to get busy. Square Enix will add cameos from other Final Fantasy games like Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy V to fight. If you win the battle and are lucky enough to get a crystal, Gilgamesh will join Serah and Noel in the monster slot. There will also be a guest villain from Final Fantasy VI, although our source wouldn’t reveal who or what this is. Kefka? Ultros? Kaiser Dragon? Your guess is as good as mine.

Ultros or Chupon are safe bets.

I won't say it's impossible that it's Kefka, though I highly doubt it. Having an overgrown octopus would be far more fitting and probably require less work then rendering a full-fledged character.

I said Gilgamesh was the obvious choice, so I'm glad they're sticking with that. But again, there is hardly any point to nabbing all these extra party monsters when there aren't new areas or bosses to use them on.

• Options
    blakeblake Registered User regular
    Got the lucky coin fragment. Cleaned house at serendipity. I am immensely enjoying post-story-side questing. I still have almost a hundred fragments left and haven't even touched that quiz thing. It's like lost odyssey, but more everything.

For silver chocobo, get a bunch of portents. The potent essences and crystals are all farmed on the western side of the hunting world. If you get all potents your stats will be perfect and you just need to infuse with a lvl 1 pulse gladiator and a 24(I think) microchu. Whenever that recovery passive unlocks. I'm stupid at this game but that build makes farming coins in falcie class mega easy.

What kind of bees make milk?
    Boobees!
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Is sunny day the best time to go for the machine?

Tried with on fire but seemed to lose more then.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I believe "Hot like a summer day" is the best.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Man, with all this DLC they're doing with extra characters and whatnot, I'm kind of glad I'm not going to play 13-2 for a while. I feel like I'll get more out of it if I just wait until it's all released before playing.

I started FF9 last night and got a couple hours in (just about to go into the evil forest with Steiner and Vivi to save Garnet). Having just finished FF13, it's astonishing how the first big scene in FF9 (the play) ends up being so much more memorable than anything FF13 had. Going in I knew FF13 had flaws but I still had a lot of fun with it...but this game is making it seem so much more lacking in comparison.

It's a little funny that the writing can be pretty silly at times but it still tends to work and be kind of funny because it's text-only. I tried to imagine some scenes having voice acting and it would be so bad.

Also, a nerdy/amusing sidenote, the little "blip" sound the old FFs make when you move the white-pointy-hand cursor through a menu makes my inner child giddy. Having not played a FF in years, it makes me so nostalgic.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    it makes me so nostalgic.
    And now you know why most people claim 9 was good. :P

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    it makes me so nostalgic.
    And now you know why most people claim 9 was good. :P

Heh, well, I already knew it was good...I put about 30 hours into it about 10 years ago and someone stole my PS2 with the memory cards. I never thought I would play through it again but apparently I've forgotten enough by this point :)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Start of episode 5, shit just got real.

I mean, story wise, this game has been plodding along for hours and then BAM things are suddenly happening.

Am I nearing the end?

E; Boss at the start of Episode 5
    HAH fuck you guy! All that trouble you gave me in Oerba 200AF, yeah fuck you.

I might be overlevelled or maybe that fight's meant to be easy, but either way I just spanked Caius. Feels good. :D

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Sazh get. Now how to build him, I suppose?

Blah, that was a short DLC. Nothing left to do in this game at all. I wonder what that last shaded out section of the historia crux will end up being?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Is it kosher to discuss FFT romhacks in this thread? 'Cause I want to talk about 'em since I've been trying out a couple of the more popular ones recently and I know of next to nobody who's interested in them.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Sazh get. Now how to build him, I suppose?

Blah, that was a short DLC. Nothing left to do in this game at all. I wonder what that last shaded out section of the historia crux will end up being?

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg as far as DLC goes.

However most of that will be Colosseum battles.

Though...I won't lie. The thought of some classic FF characters/enemies/bosses/villains that I can catch is pretty appealing to me.

I never enjoyed the Pokemon games, but I think now, now I get it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Man, with all this DLC they're doing with extra characters and whatnot, I'm kind of glad I'm not going to play 13-2 for a while. I feel like I'll get more out of it if I just wait until it's all released before playing.

I started FF9 last night and got a couple hours in (just about to go into the evil forest with Steiner and Vivi to save Garnet). Having just finished FF13, it's astonishing how the first big scene in FF9 (the play) ends up being so much more memorable than anything FF13 had. Going in I knew FF13 had flaws but I still had a lot of fun with it...but this game is making it seem so much more lacking in comparison.

It's a little funny that the writing can be pretty silly at times but it still tends to work and be kind of funny because it's text-only. I tried to imagine some scenes having voice acting and it would be so bad.

Also, a nerdy/amusing sidenote, the little "blip" sound the old FFs make when you move the white-pointy-hand cursor through a menu makes my inner child giddy. Having not played a FF in years, it makes me so nostalgic.

IX also has, by far, the best writing in the series. There's a billion great lines, even from NPCs.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ultros and Chupon would be amazing. I'm sold, Squeenix.
    (I'm a lot more receptive to XIII-2 DLC since I got the game for free, mind.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    I'm thinking that they should have one DLC battle that just shows up as "???". You go into the pre-battle cutscene wondering who you're going to face...

...and then One Winged Angel starts playing and you think back to the exact same situation in the first Kingdom Hearts game.

Yep, you're screwed.

Only trouble with that is how overpowered Heartless Angel would be, since in all likelyhood it wouldn't be blockable by SEN/SEN/SEN. I guess with some warning they could make it so you're able to switch to any paradigm with enough MED to survive the aftermath.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I'm thinking that they should have one DLC battle that just shows up as "???". You go into the pre-battle cutscene wondering who you're going to face...

...and then One Winged Angel starts playing and you think back to the exact same situation in the first Kingdom Hearts game.

Yep, you're screwed.

Only trouble with that is how overpowered Heartless Angel would be, since in all likelyhood it wouldn't be blockable by SEN/SEN/SEN. I guess with some warning they could make it so you're able to switch to any paradigm with enough MED to survive the aftermath.

God, all my money for that.

And yeah, the way to survive Fallen One or whatever it's called these days would be just to switch to MED/MED/MED and let yourself get nailed to single digits and heal immediately. Possibly with potions.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well, the giant metal cactuars do 10,000 needles, which will do 10,000 and kill you flat, but if you're in SEN it only does half or so. A Fallen One attack could possibly do the same thing, unless they specifically program it not to.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So how long does the new Sazh DLC take to finish, exactly?

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    As long as it takes you to figure out the games, but probably no more than an hour or two.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    FF13: Ok, powershifting is pretty great. Not sold on the Crystarium thing yet; I keep hording my points and refusing to spend them in jobs that I don't foresee that character using as often.

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    A source tells Siliconera the coliseum is about to get busy. Square Enix will add cameos from other Final Fantasy games like Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy V to fight. If you win the battle and are lucky enough to get a crystal, Gilgamesh will join Serah and Noel in the monster slot. There will also be a guest villain from Final Fantasy VI, although our source wouldn’t reveal who or what this is. Kefka? Ultros? Kaiser Dragon? Your guess is as good as mine.

Ultros or Chupon are safe bets.

Throwing my hat on Ultros.

Hoping for the Phantom Train. For its Feral Link, it can suplex enemies. Just because.

Cururu on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'd be fine paying for DLC for all these various characters and games and whatnot if there was some kind of actual final colosseum bracket that had just insane boss battles that are so stupidly hard we need to be maxed with everything and have 3 perfectly groomed dlc characters (or monsters) to even have a chance of beating (and which in turn rewarded new areas, loots, something, anything of value to a player). I mean, I still love the game, but why am I spending 30 bucks over 6 months to beat Raspatil in 26 seconds as opposed to 57?

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    It's just doing it is so tedious, I don't have a wired controller either so can't just leave it while I go to work.

I think if you plug it in with the charging cable it will stay on, or you could change the auto-turn off in the (PS3) system menu.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    FF13: Ok, powershifting is pretty great. Not sold on the Crystarium thing yet; I keep hording my points and refusing to spend them in jobs that I don't foresee that character using as often.

Each chapter limits you on how far you can go through the crystarium. If you don't skip any battles, you will pretty much max out your crystarium to as far as you can go at each chapter.

On top of that, each new level of the crystarium requires a a SIGNIFICANTLY larger amount of CP to proceed, so you might as well pump up those low CP bonuses in each character's 3 starting classes.

Also remember that stat bonuses (+strength, +magic, etc.) are permanent bonuses that are not specific to each role, so even if you're leveling a role you don't use often, you're still strengthening the character quite a bit.

• Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    I don't know why I come in this thread anymore... Always for hope of news regarding vs 13, instead it's just talk of 13-2, a game that I can't seem to generate any personal interest in.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    You are really wasting your time if you expect to see Versus news anytime soon.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    13-2 is still very new (and apparently good), so of course people are going to be talking about it.

You mention Versus 13 as if we know more than you do and are just withholding information :)
    Conspiracy!

House of Paincakes on
  • Options

Each chapter limits you on how far you can go through the crystarium. If you don't skip any battles, you will pretty much max out your crystarium to as far as you can go at each chapter.

On top of that, each new level of the crystarium requires a a SIGNIFICANTLY larger amount of CP to proceed, so you might as well pump up those low CP bonuses in each character's 3 starting classes.

Also remember that stat bonuses (+strength, +magic, etc.) are permanent bonuses that are not specific to each role, so even if you're leveling a role you don't use often, you're still strengthening the character quite a bit.

I should say though, there's no real reason to put CP into a characters non-main trees until post-game. Their costs are exponentially higher per level than their base 3 classes and you won't be getting enough CP frequently to level them (without gimping your main classes anyway) till post game with the golden egg.

When someone says "you get enough CP if you're fighting every battle to max your classes each chapter" they're referring to just the main ones.

• Options
    What defines a "main" vs "not main"?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Off the top of my head...for instance, Lightning main jobs are Commando, Ravager and Medic. Snow's are Commando, Ravager and Sentinel. Etc.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I hate Academia 500AF. No amount of guiding or explanation will make the Chaos Block thing not entirely fucking stupid.

EDIT; also Houn, some characters have a generally accepted prime role they are uniquely best at; Sazh is by far the best Synergist, Snow the best Sentinel. Beyond that it's less clear cut, but personally;

Fang - COM
    Light - RAV
    Snow - SEN
    Hope - MED
    Sazh - SYN
    Vanille - SAB

Vanille is arguably a better MED, and Light is arguably a better COM, but this is a pretty good general idea of their main talents, I think.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

For most of the game, characters only have access to a few classes each. Those are their "main" classes.

Later on, they get access to all classes, which are the "not main" ones, and which are much more expensive at lower levels and such.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Basically...main jobs are the jobs people are really good at...you can tell by the abilities they get in them.

For the most part FFXIII starts people off with their "best" jobs and locks them out of the rest or gives them really high CP caps.

That being said there are some characters who are actually better at jobs they don't unlock until late game(like Hope is a really good SYN), but really that only matters pretty much after you've beat the game and it takes a lot of grinding because the CP cost of their off classes is pretty high.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    13-2 is still very new (and apparently good), so of course people are going to be talking about it.

You mention Versus 13 as if we know more than you do and are just withholding information :)
    Conspiracy!

Oh I'm not complaining about the thread or the posters at all... Just sad that vs 13 is the one final fantasy project on the horizon that I'm excited for. I'll get around to 13-2 as I really liked 13 but I have so many games in my backlog right now that it just isn't jumping out at me.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

For most of the game, characters only have access to a few classes each. Those are their "main" classes.

Later on, they get access to all classes, which are the "not main" ones, and which are much more expensive at lower levels and such.

This makes the most immediate and easy sense. Thank you!

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    You know the best part of Versus? Some of that old in-game footage (the one with the lead lady) isn't even in the game anymore, and is instead a CG scene. I'll give Nomura the benefit of the doubt since I like most of the projects he's been involved in, but it's still pretty funny.

• Options
    kime wrote: »

This is what I was referring to as "main". The three you start out with for each character.

Post-game wise though, some characters secondary classes get abilities that are the best in class. For instance, Fang gets brave/faith-ja which no one else gets and are a lot more powerful than normal brave/faith.

But they're not worth investing in before post-game.

• Options
    You don't actually start out with three for each character. When they are first introduced, I believe Lightning has 2, Snow has 3, Vanille has 2, Sahz has 1, and Hope has 1. Not long after, they throw on some SYN/SAB roles to a few characters, though, so you can see my confusion about what defines a "main". Is it only the ones they started with, or does it include the ones I just got?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Yep, you're screwed.

Except every gaming site and forum poster would ruin the surprise in big, bolded letters that is stickied to the top. With a neon glow border.

It's very hard to keep secrets in videogames a secret in this day and age.

Anyway, there's a rumor that the next FF crossover is going to be a SRPG for the Vita. Grains of salt here, but I have been expressing how much I would like the next Dissidia-style game to be an RPG, so this would fit perfectly.

I just hope they don't stick with that Thetrhythm style. Having several tiles of those ._. faces would be nightmare inducing.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't recall when the last 3 of each class is unlocked. I thought there was a period of the game where everyone had 3 for a very long time. EDIT: I know that's not terribly helpful. If nothing else the sheer difference in CP cost for the nodes should let you know.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Anything you get for most of the game you can max out. Most chapters, you should end with spare points after you've already bought everything you can for each character, really.

It's only later, when it really opens up everyone to everything, that you need to pick and choose, and even then it's only really post-game stuff you have to worry about.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.