As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official I Hate [Final Fantasy] Thread: Dead like FF XIV's userbase. New thread.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    blake wrote: »
    Related to saying FFXIII-2 could be on par with FFX and FFXII,
    Watching Cocoon fall and then Bhunivelze rise to Charice singing New World was one of the most visceral moments in the entire FF series for me.

The above is an ending spoiler, but:

For some reason I got a "Land Before Time 1" feel to the song. Maybe an "An American Tail." Maybe it's my childhood. There was some serious resonance going on for a sec there.
    Ending spoilers
    And then everyone dies and it's sadness for everyone forever.

I can edit this whole thing if it's a problem. Just wanted to talk about the song.

E: This is the song I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6bkfhLbw4Y

silence1186 on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    It's because it's totally an 80s animated-movie-tie-in style song. It could easily be the pop star version of a Disney Feature song that you'd hear on the radio.

So far, I'm enjoying 13. Mostly spamming auto-attack, but paradigm shifting keeps it interesting. I like where the story is going so far, too.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I didn't discover power shifting until much later, but does anyone remember if it's any use in the beginning parts of 13 after you first get paradigms?

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    Chronobind from the Sazh DLC may just be the best minigame S-E has made in a long, long time. Perhaps since Chocobo H&C.

It's seriously addictive.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Chronobind is good but it is not even remotely as good of a way of getting chips as poker.

Definitely the better game though.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah, definitely. But it's also way more fun. Surprisingly inventive.

• Options
    I didn't discover power shifting until much later, but does anyone remember if it's any use in the beginning parts of 13 after you first get paradigms?

I don't know what power shifting is, so I have no idea.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Do a Paradigm shift...dammit was it while doing an action? I don't remember the specifics right now but basically you get a free ATB bar if you time your shifts.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    someone told me it was every twelve seconds or about every two turns, if you shift at the end of your turn your gauge will be full already instead of having to wait for it to fill

• Options
    Oh, I've noticed that once or twice, but I figured it was just my bar refilling while going through the shift animation.

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Basically you do this:

-Start battle, fill ATB gauge
    -Attack
    -Paradigm shift (get full ATB bar!)
    -Attack
    -Fill ATB gauge
    -Attack
    -Paradigm shift (full ATB)

So basically every other turn you can get a free full ATB bar. It's often useful to create two Relentless Assault paradigms (COM/RAV/RAV) and switch between them like this. I didn't know about this until I was about 3/4 of the way through but it definitely helps build the stagger bar and do damage.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I never found it to be that useful. I mean it comes in handy, and if you know about it, you might as well take advantage of it. But there was no fight where it would make or break things. In fact, once everybody is jacked up on Haste, it didn't seem worth it at all since you'd fill the gauge in the same time it would take to switch in the first place.

Actually I take it back some. It was really handy when switching from a combat to a buffing or healing paradigm, to eliminate the waiting. Setting up two COM/RAV/RAV's to bounce between though seemed unnecessary.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    its insanely helpful when trying to heal before and after a boss attack in FF XIII and also almost necessary to get 5 stars on certain fights without really specializing your equipment and roles.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Congratulations, FFXIII-2' the jump in difficulty between the random enemies in episode 5 and 6 has me contemplating not bothering to finish the damn game. Just been one shotted in three different random enemy fights. Just terrible design.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Congratulations, FFXIII-2' the jump in difficulty between the random enemies in episode 5 and 6 has me contemplating not bothering to finish the damn game. Just been one shotted in three different random enemy fights. Just terrible design.

The giant sahagin thing (Akpallu?), the proto-behemoth and the woodwraiths? Yeah, they're inexplicably brutal. They're not random though, they just show up once (unless you close the gate).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Go do one of the 5000 side areas and snag some fragments.

Or, start using Sens and Sabs and Syns.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I will say the only thing I don't like on XIII-2 in terms of combat is how much they nerfed the support classes.

SYN is pretty much a shadow of what it used to be, especially with how much of a boss Sazh was in the previous game.

Sab is still decent but I wish you got more items to increase your success rate.

Medic is pretty much useless.

Though I have found myself actually using Sen from time to time...something I never bothered to do in XIII.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I hate these clock puzzles.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...they fucking suck.

Especially when you have to do 5 of them in a row.

Please let me just play connect the dots so I can be done with it.

• Options
    It wouldn't be so bad if they'd leave one and let me think it over.

But no. Gotta randomize that shit. EURGH.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Brap

https://www.robertwoodward.com/clockPuzzle/

I think I only ever did the first one properly.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    I never found it to be that useful. I mean it comes in handy, and if you know about it, you might as well take advantage of it. But there was no fight where it would make or break things. In fact, once everybody is jacked up on Haste, it didn't seem worth it at all since you'd fill the gauge in the same time it would take to switch in the first place.

Actually I take it back some. It was really handy when switching from a combat to a buffing or healing paradigm, to eliminate the waiting. Setting up two COM/RAV/RAV's to bounce between though seemed unnecessary.

It's definitely not necessary or anything, it's just useful to speed up battles a little bit and to occasionally get some instant healing/buffing/debuffing.

At the very least, it kept me more engaged with the battles and I felt like less of a spectator in those battles I'm mostly just using COM/RAV/RAV.

• Options
    mere_immortal, I rather love you right now.

Also, I got me some fancy monsters on my team now. Dragoon for a COM seems better than low level Kichu, and I finally snagged a Cloudburst for a RAV. ;D

Got a Yakshini for the rare occassions I need a SYN.

Also also, snagged a White Chocobo, and a Silver.

Silver is supposed to be auto-amazing at racing, right? Is there some set-in-stone build to making him awesome, or is he just a great racer no matter what I do?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    mere_immortal, I rather love you right now.

Also, I got me some fancy monsters on my team now. Dragoon for a COM seems better than low level Kichu, and I finally snagged a Cloudburst for a RAV. ;D

Got a Yakshini for the rare occassions I need a SYN.

Also also, snagged a White Chocobo, and a Silver.

Silver is supposed to be auto-amazing at racing, right? Is there some set-in-stone build to making him awesome, or is he just a great racer no matter what I do?

There's a few posts on gamefaqs on how to build him, as well as a guide. You can't just run him without doing anything, you do need to build him up some.

• Options
    All I remember offhand is to level the silver chocobo with potent items and nothing else.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    If you just level the silver to max it will take you to the mid level races easily.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just having a max level Silver Choco can get you to the Fal'Cie Class...winning on there consistently definitely needs some monster infusions.

EDIT: So beaten.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I got my 2 collector's catalogs and never went back.

Probably going to when I need coins for the stupid slot machine fragment.

• Options
    Just buy about 10,000 coins and you're set. That's about 100,000 gil and with the collector's catalogs you should have no problem amassing that amount.

• Options
    It's just doing it is so tedious, I don't have a wired controller either so can't just leave it while I go to work.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    So I'm hearing decent things about XIII-2. I'm thinking about picking it up after the other games I'm playing and about to play are beaten. Is it rough on the story if you don't play XIII at all? 13 really held no intrest as I watched a buddie play through a bit.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I'd just read up on the story so you know what the main terms, events and characters are.

They get explained in game but it does help if you know the difference between a L'Cie and a Fal'Cie.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Not really.

XIII-2 recaps most of the important stuff from XIII.

Really...it does a better job of telling XIII's story than XIII at times.

Also, something I personally didn't care for, but the original XIII cast have pretty minimum roles in the game anyway so you won't get too lost with who is who.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Beating Yomi with 2 durable collector catalogs nets you 144000 gil.

Alternatively, there's Don Tonberry's in Bresha 100AF. 18360 gil drop. In addition, drops Scarlite which sells for 18700, and Hermes sandals for 11000.

Earning money is so damn easy in this game. Even more so when you barely need more than a few thousand k's for the entire game.

• Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    Trying for the Monster Collector fragment, does anyone know of a list of monsters sorted by area so I can check what i'm missing. Also, curse you Yomi.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Aether wrote: »
    Trying for the Monster Collector fragment, does anyone know of a list of monsters sorted by area so I can check what i'm missing. Also, curse you Yomi.
    I used this one

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    Cheers. Now to hunting.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    A source tells Siliconera the coliseum is about to get busy. Square Enix will add cameos from other Final Fantasy games like Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy V to fight. If you win the battle and are lucky enough to get a crystal, Gilgamesh will join Serah and Noel in the monster slot. There will also be a guest villain from Final Fantasy VI, although our source wouldn’t reveal who or what this is. Kefka? Ultros? Kaiser Dragon? Your guess is as good as mine.

Ultros or Chupon are safe bets.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    A source tells Siliconera the coliseum is about to get busy. Square Enix will add cameos from other Final Fantasy games like Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy V to fight. If you win the battle and are lucky enough to get a crystal, Gilgamesh will join Serah and Noel in the monster slot. There will also be a guest villain from Final Fantasy VI, although our source wouldn’t reveal who or what this is. Kefka? Ultros? Kaiser Dragon? Your guess is as good as mine.

Ultros or Chupon are safe bets.

Throwing my hat on Ultros.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is it possible to get back to New Bodhum ???AF without redoing the whole of dying world? Think I missed a couple of fragments at the end there.

This discussion has been closed.