As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Really? Calling it "Tinfoil hatting", after basically even the so called tinfoil hats basically underestimated the extent of complete surveillance?

Anyways, maybe there will be tools to disable all that in one go.

But why not let the user decide? Your argument that the tinfoil hats are destroying your sweet features is moot, as it is the other way around and people who care about privacy have to jump through several hoops to get usable system. Your perfect glass citizen world is actually the windows 10 default.
    Why not have a switch?

The reason is of course that you would gather less data to sell to advertisers.

Why not have a switch? Because a good deal of these things have to be integrated into the OS in order for the benefits of all the data collecting to actually be useful to the consumer. Without things like Cortana having fingers all over the operating system Cortana would be as useful and a text editor when it comes to actually finding the correct stuff.

So when people want that shit to be easy to turn off, they're pretty much making it so this stuff is kneecapped for anyone who wants it.

That's.. Not a sound argument at all.

Why does someone else's cortana depend on my system?

Choosing between "more privacy" and "more comfort" would have been easy to implement for Microsoft.
    And everyone that wanted the features could still have had them.
    He'll

Where is the problem in not wanting them? What you basically argue for is "some people are too stupid for choice, so no one gets to choose"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Really? Calling it "Tinfoil hatting", after basically even the so called tinfoil hats basically underestimated the extent of complete surveillance?

But why not let the user decide? Your argument that the tinfoil hats are destroying your sweet features is moot, as it is the other way around and people who care about privacy have to jump through several hoops to get usable system. Your perfect glass citizen world is actually the windows 10 default.
    Why not have a switch?

Why not have a switch? Because a good deal of these things have to be integrated into the OS in order for the benefits of all the data collecting to actually be useful to the consumer. Without things like Cortana having fingers all over the operating system Cortana would be as useful and a text editor when it comes to actually finding the correct stuff.

So when people want that shit to be easy to turn off, they're pretty much making it so this stuff is kneecapped for anyone who wants it.

That's kind of a non sequitur, what does Cortana having its fingers all over the operating system have to do with Cortana sending a ton of data to Microsoft?

Basically so that on other devices Cortana is the same for each user.

So that Cortana on my computer is the same as on my phone and on my tablet, and the same when I log into my wife's Laptop. So that my experience is the same on every device, a personal assistant that knows my info, my calendar, my contacts.

So that it's not completely useless unless I'm on just one device all the time.

No I don't.
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Really?

1. Some people don't like the idea of large companies indiscriminately collecting data on them. In the wake of things like PRISM and the rest of the Snowden leaks, there's a lot of merit to this ideology. Yes, you can turn most of it off; some people don't think it should be an option at all, it should just not be. The question is not "Why do you care if MS collects that", it's "Why does MS think it needs that at all?"
    1.a. And yeah, Apple, Ubuntu, and Google all do it, too. This makes some people hypocrites, scoffing about MS privacy while posting from their iPhone, but you shouldn't assume that's the case. Apple Account is the reason I don't have an iPhone anymore. Well, that and just not liking it that much.
    1.b. Also, you can turn it off in Ubuntu pretty easy. Also, Ubuntu is not the only Linux.

2. If you don't mind sharing that data, by all means, share it. I'm not judging you. Why do you feel the need to judge people that don't care to, and sling names like "tinfoil hat". If the data is there, SOMEONE is going to use it. If you're cool with that, groovy. Don't be hatin'.

First and foremost. I opt out of of all that. Even my Surface Pro uses a local account. None of it is active on my iPhone. I disabled (and gutted via hosts and plugins) Facebook's platform, and other similar services. If there's a cloud/shared thing beyond my hardware that I am consciously aware of, it's disabled. So yeah, if people want to give it up, that's totally okay. I'm not.

That said, If the argument was "I don't like these services so I won't use them" then yeah, using that term would be hating. But when the argument starts to dip into "I don't like those services so I won't use them and furthermore they will be used to further US economic and political goals, and/or used to put people into deathcamps" then IDK about you but the argument has pretty much gone well off the rails and into conspiracy territory to me, post-PRISM or not.

The term "tinfoil hat" was applied to me before anyone brought up government surveillance.

But hey, since it was mentioned. The Chinese government monitors internet traffic. There are Christians in China doing things the government isn't happy about. I sure wouldn't want anyone to attract the wrong sort of attention because they inadvertently uploaded information about their faith-related activities over the wrong wire. This isn't a hypothetical concern for a lot of people.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Why not have a switch?

That's kind of a non sequitur, what does Cortana having its fingers all over the operating system have to do with Cortana sending a ton of data to Microsoft?

So that Cortana on my computer is the same as on my phone and on my tablet, and the same when I log into my wife's Laptop. So that my experience is the same on every device, a personal assistant that knows my info, my calendar, my contacts.

That makes no sense. A device with keyboard and mouse is used differently than a touch screen device

That ms didn't want to accept this is the whole reason win8 was so hated.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Why not have a switch?

That makes no sense. A device with keyboard and mouse is used differently than a touch screen device

My experience with Cortana.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Frem wrote: »
    Really?

1. Some people don't like the idea of large companies indiscriminately collecting data on them. In the wake of things like PRISM and the rest of the Snowden leaks, there's a lot of merit to this ideology. Yes, you can turn most of it off; some people don't think it should be an option at all, it should just not be. The question is not "Why do you care if MS collects that", it's "Why does MS think it needs that at all?"
    1.a. And yeah, Apple, Ubuntu, and Google all do it, too. This makes some people hypocrites, scoffing about MS privacy while posting from their iPhone, but you shouldn't assume that's the case. Apple Account is the reason I don't have an iPhone anymore. Well, that and just not liking it that much.
    1.b. Also, you can turn it off in Ubuntu pretty easy. Also, Ubuntu is not the only Linux.

2. If you don't mind sharing that data, by all means, share it. I'm not judging you. Why do you feel the need to judge people that don't care to, and sling names like "tinfoil hat". If the data is there, SOMEONE is going to use it. If you're cool with that, groovy. Don't be hatin'.

First and foremost. I opt out of of all that. Even my Surface Pro uses a local account. None of it is active on my iPhone. I disabled (and gutted via hosts and plugins) Facebook's platform, and other similar services. If there's a cloud/shared thing beyond my hardware that I am consciously aware of, it's disabled. So yeah, if people want to give it up, that's totally okay. I'm not.

That said, If the argument was "I don't like these services so I won't use them" then yeah, using that term would be hating. But when the argument starts to dip into "I don't like those services so I won't use them and furthermore they will be used to further US economic and political goals, and/or used to put people into deathcamps" then IDK about you but the argument has pretty much gone well off the rails and into conspiracy territory to me, post-PRISM or not.

The term "tinfoil hat" was applied to me before anyone brought up government surveillance.

But hey, since it was mentioned. The Chinese government monitors internet traffic. There are Christians in China doing things the government isn't happy about. I sure wouldn't want anyone to attract the wrong sort of attention because they inadvertently uploaded information about their faith-related activities over the wrong wire. This isn't a hypothetical concern for a lot of people.

Use of Windows 8 is banned on chinese government computers, even.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/20/us-microsoft-china-idUSBREA4J07Q20140520

But as a chinese dissident, a us company spying on you might on itself do you no harm... if the government can't make them hand over relevant data, that is

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Why not have a switch?

My experience with Cortana.

How nice that your personal experience is the end all and should dictate the experience for everyone else?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Why not have a switch?

Keyboards and mice are portable and can plugged into touch screen devices and used in the same manner too though? they arent mutually exclusive input devices.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Can someone please let me know when we're back to rational, factual discussion in this thread? When we devolve into saying that Germany went Fascist 80 years ago and that's why opt-in data collection in windows 10 is bad, I think it's time for me to tap out.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Really?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/20/us-microsoft-china-idUSBREA4J07Q20140520

But as a chinese dissident, a us company spying on you might on itself do you no harm... if the government can't make them hand over relevant data, that is

This assumes that the government isn't intercepting and storing traffic, and that all traffic between your computer and Microsoft is properly encrypted, and even that your computer is actually communicating with a Microsoft computer. I don't know that such assumptions are safe to make when you can't trust the network.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Can someone please let me know when we're back to rational, factual discussion in this thread? When we devolve into saying that Germany went Fascist 80 years ago and that's why opt-in data collection in windows 10 is bad, I think it's time for me to tap out.

No government is above scrutiny. In the post snowden world, this should be clear.

a) The German example was just that, an example of how things can go bad, so stop over exaggerating as if I sad 'the US are literally nazis'.
    Try imagining president scott walker or vice president palin. Then tell me again you don't care about your government knowing everything.

b) The data collection is opt-out, not opt in. By default you are getting an online account.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So the Twitter and Weather apps, their shortcut boxes in the start menu, should they be displaying like the weather information for my area and my twitter feed? That would be pretty cool

• Options
    Really?

This assumes that the government isn't intercepting and storing traffic, and that all traffic between your computer and Microsoft is properly encrypted, and even that your computer is actually communicating with a Microsoft computer. I don't know that such assumptions are safe to make when you can't trust the network.

Yes, that too of course. Similar to the government backdoor in encryption.

Who can say the government is the only one to know how to use the back door?

Who can say that a competitor couldn't try and get data sent back from windows 10vto gain an unfair advantage, for a moment assuming the government isn't using it for economic gain?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So the Twitter and Weather apps, their shortcut boxes in the start menu, should they be displaying like the weather information for my area and my twitter feed? That would be pretty cool

Probably. I did leave the weather app up there for a bit, and while it took a little while, it did eventually kick in.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    If your concern is someone exploiting the system, then they'll target older OSes with known unpatched vulnerabilites, not Windows 10

Or hell, if there's a day 0 exploit, I can feel pretty confident that Windows 10's automatic updates will handle it much faster and with a significantly better penetration rate than waiting for patch Tuesday on Win 7/8.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    As an attempt to break out of all of the negativity that's honestly so cynical that I'm not sure it should even count as an attempt to break out of all of the negativity, how are Metro apps nowadays? Now that they don't automatically make your system suck while you have them open, are there any that actually have enough functionality to be worth using over a browser or equivalent desktop program?

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I just came to this thread so I apologize if this has been discussed.
    I seem to be missing the 'connect' button in the Xbox app on 10. Is there a way to force an update on a specific app? I'm fumbling through the windows store right now trying to find something.

EDIT - Nevermind I FINALLY found it. Obvious now that I have but man was I overlooking it for a while =p

vamen on
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »
    I just came to this thread so I apologize if this has been discussed.
    I seem to be missing the 'connect' button in the Xbox app on 10. Is there a way to force an update on a specific app? I'm fumbling through the windows store right now trying to find something.

Hmm, a couple troubleshooting things:

1. When I boot up my Xbox app, I am on version 7.7.21024.00000. The connect button shows up second from the bottom on the leftmost navigation bar of icons, just above the Settings icon.
    2. The announcement here lists out steps to connect and it seems to prescribe that you:
    3. Have an Xbox One controller connected to the PC
    4. Have the Xbox One turned on
    5. Have setup the Xbox One to allow game streaming

I apologize if this advice is stuff you've already tried. Good luck!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I just had a thought about data collection, in that a lot of law firms and other businesses that require client and information confidentiality will be using Windows 10. Because of that, I don't think its very likely that Microsoft will be parsing through what data a firm stores on OneDrive because that is a big old legal clusterfuck that Microsoft would lose.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    OneDrive isn't intended for corporate use, though I couldn't say for certain if their business version of it (called... OneDrive for Business) has different policies.

For their Azure stuff, they have gotten certified with as many different compliance agreements as they could, but it's certainly still going to be on the business to ensure that their data is being properly handled as much as it is on Microsoft.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Any sort of secret government stuff is already going to be going on via updates to your OS and browser.

The only answer, if you are concerned, is to not put sensitive data on any computer that isn't air-gapped in a Faraday cage, since they already hide radios in hardware.

You otherwise should expect that at least a portion of your info is going to someone, even if it's just their fap-bank.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So not related to Windows 10 (I don't think?) but I opened up a file browser today and noticed my HD was suddenly in the red, like 20GB of space disappeared over the course of today for no apparent reason. I checked and noticed my Windows installation (Windows 7) is suddenly 42GB, and my pagefile and hiberfile total 28GB. That seems...high. Any idea what might be going on?

x7mbsyS.png

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Did you just download the update to Windows 10? That could take up a bunch of space if it's just floating around wherever uninstalled updates float around.

Edit: Hmm, that wouldn't be it, though, since that's a pagefile. It looks like for some reason, your system decided that it needed to have 16 GB worth of memory more than it had in RAM, and yanked that much of your hard drive for it.

Since it's a pagefile, you might just be able to delete it with no consequences, though I'd wait for an opinion more expert than mine. You'll probably need to dig into your system's settings to prevent it from being reallocated, though.

Edit: It looks like by default, your system wants to manage the size of pagefiles on its own. I have no idea what could have caused it to accelerate so much, though. Did you recently run something absurdly heavy or have your system crash on something?

jothki on
  • Options
    Did you just download the update to Windows 10? That could take up a bunch of space if it's just floating around wherever uninstalled updates float around.

I don't think so, the Windows 10 notification center is still telling me it's not my turn yet.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Again, you can force the upgrade if you're wanting to try it now.

• Options
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Again, you can force the upgrade if you're wanting to try it now.

I'm waiting that one out. Right now I'm trying to solve the mystery of the vanishing hard drive space.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Without knowing very much, there are two places that I think you're going to want to look. The first is the Task Manager, to see how much memory you're actually using. If you're running enough to actually use up the page file, try to reel that back in somehow.

The other thing that you can do is to go into Advanced system settings, Performance, Settings, Advanced, and then Virtual Memory. From there, you can see the system's default choice, and override it with something smaller if you think you really need the space. If the system's choice isn't already 16 GB, then you've hit a real issue somewhere, and I don't know what to do for that.

Edit: What's your current RAM? From what I've read, Windows sets a maximum pagefile size of three times the size of RAM, though the actual size can be lower if the system doesn't think you need it.

You actually may have been bouncing around on pagefile size this whole time, you just happened to catch your system at a point where it was high. You should pretty much just assume that up to three times your RAM in space is prone to disappear from the maximum size of your hard drive at any point, and budget accordingly.

hiberfil.sys is used to store the current state of the system memory when your system hibernates, so the system can fully shut down but still recover to the exact state it was in from before. If you want that disk space back at the cost of not being able to hibernate (just fully shut down or sleep), then you can disable hibernation with a powershell command.

jothki on
  • Options
    Checked those, didn't see a problem. Ran disk cleanup on a recommendation I saw elsewhere and it turned up 22GB it could free up.

zlKVvTY.png

So yeah, those temp files may have been it -_-

Wonder why they suddenly spiked? Oh well.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Weird, usually that's capped to something much lower. I'd check your browser settings to verify that it hasn't gotten set to something ridiculous.

Edit: Never mind, that's just Temporary Files, not Temporary Internet Files. That's probably some program misbehaving, then. Nothing to worry about if it doesn't happen again.

jothki on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I wish I could see where I was in the queue. Like waiting on entering an overloaded MMO server. This is excruciating.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I wish I could see where I was in the queue. Like waiting on entering an overloaded MMO server. This is excruciating.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 says "jump the line"

I'm surprised I haven't seen more commentary on the "you can't sue us" provision of the EULA. Was that in 8?

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    That's become a pretty standard line in EULA's for a few years now. I can't remember what triggered it but tons of software companies have it now. I think they can put it in if they provide arbitration but it's on their terms so good luck.

• Options
    danx wrote: »
    That's become a pretty standard line in EULA's for a few years now. I can't remember what triggered it but tons of software companies have it now. I think they can put it in if they provide arbitration but it's on their terms so good luck.

I believe this is where it was conceived.

No I don't.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Checked those, didn't see a problem. Ran disk cleanup on a recommendation I saw elsewhere and it turned up 22GB it could free up.

zlKVvTY.png

So yeah, those temp files may have been it -_-

Wonder why they suddenly spiked? Oh well.

158 MB of thumbnails? How much porn are you downloading?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ran into a fun bug where if one has a game open on one monitor and chrome open on another monitor in the foreground, windows 10 hardlocks! Happened 3 times in a row, and according to the googles that is something that was found in one of the preview builds.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I've downloaded the windows 10 update 3 times now and each time it bugs out with a random error code. Can't find nothing on Google but to delete the downloads in the software distribution folder and force update with command prompt but that only makes it redownload 6 fucking gigs just to bug out again. My update history is a parade of failed windows 10 updates. About to just say fuck it here and stick with windows 8.1.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    when I scroll in Windows Explorer (File Explorer I guess) any amount and leave it, after a few seconds it will jump back to the top of the folder. I've tried it with multiple views and it hasn't change and I looked at every folder related option I could find but nothing seems to fit. I certainly might be overlooking something, though.

this seems like the best place to ask in my world once google fails me

edit - I currently have the navigation panel completely hidden so it's nothing to do with that

it happens in every folder large enough for me to have to scroll down

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7. I'd like to do the clean install now. My data is backed up on internal hard drives. Windows goes on the SSD. If I do a restore will it erase the files from all drives, or just the Windows one?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    you'll be given the option to format whichever drive you want and then install

if you've ever done a clean windows install it was the exact same as it's always been

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I went into the privacy settings and made myself more elusive on principle, but not really out of any worry. What is Microsoft going to do with my writing and browsing history? Tell people I know about how Absalon likes these particular NSFW artists on Tumblr or that dumb thing he wrote on Disqus that one time?