As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Errr...the Advanced text button is like standard hyperlink blue. If that was not a decade plus hyperlink standard and something new I could see it as easy to miss....but it's not.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Errr...the Advanced text button is like standard hyperlink blue. If that was not a decade plus hyperlink standard and something new I could see it as easy to miss....but it's not.

Oh, it is? I had gotten used to dealing with uncolored settings whenever Microsoft didn't want me to change something, and can't check myself so I assumed that was as well.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, not PC related, but is anybody using Windows Phone 10 insider preview as their daily driver?

Just go a Lumia 640, and am thinking of trying it out. Don't have a backup phone though.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So, not PC related, but is anybody using Windows Phone 10 insider preview as their daily driver?

Just go a Lumia 640, and am thinking of trying it out. Don't have a backup phone though.

Don't do it. It is not stable enough.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Especially if you rely on the alarm feature. It is not reliable enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Gotcha... thanks!

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So I apologize if this is redundant - I haven't been able to make it through the entire thread, but I've got a problem with Windows 10 that's so broad that it's been very hard to diagnose.

The broad strokes: I'm getting a very regular number of "not responding" errors from most software I'm using.
    More specifically, this has happened with windows explorer, every Microsoft Office program, Steam, Firefox (I know it's had its problems) and Chrome, Blender, and more.

What I've done about it:
    Well, I did a clean install of Windows 10. No real change to speak of. It's noteworthy that I installed Windows 10 on my laptop (a weaker machine) and have had no such problems - except with Firefox, which was a program-specific battery of issues.

The hardware
    I'm running an i7 3820, a GeForce Gtx 660, 16gb of RAM in quad channel, WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache HDD.

So, any thoughts at all what's going on here?

Edd on
  • Options
    Do you use different software on the different machines? I'm wondering if it's a specific piece of software or a driver on the desktop machine that is causing it. It might not look like it since the problems are system wide but a bad driver of some kind could cause instability.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Do you use different software on the different machines? I'm wondering if it's a specific piece of software or a driver on the desktop machine that is causing it. It might not look like it since the problems are system wide but a bad driver of some kind could cause instability.

Well, there may be two possibilities there.

I have a Kodak 3250 all-in-one printer hooked up to it, which I know is barely supported for Windows 8/10. I had to rejigger it a bit to get the scanner function working, but the problems existed prior to that. However, I can say that the printer was always connected to the machine even before I made attempts to work with its drivers on my own. This is unique to the desktop rig.

The only other thing I can think of is the desktop having a dedicated DirectX 11 video card, which the laptop doesn't.

EDIT: to clarify, the laptop does have an on board GT 330m, so it also has an Nvidia driver set, just of an older generation.

EDIT 2: Another thing - I've been keeping my eye on the task manager system resource monitor, and I'm often seeing the "Disk" field reach 100% use even when no single component is attributed to anything near that kind of load. Memory is at most rising to 11% and Cpu is usually around 2%.

Edd on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Ok, so as my wife is back to windows 8.1, when we both go to windows 10 what resource to people use to help the none technical people with what all the new features are, so we can decide what to turn on and off. I guess a windows 10 for dummies type thing. Normally I'm the one that does research and explains all the re research to her. I just don't have time to fiddle and play with 10 to learn anything anymore. This is mainly why I'm waiting, so I can get a great resource for what are the new features, what I will want on or off.

I'm pretty sure I want cortana off, just cause I used it on phone, and it never did anything for me. Talking to my desktop sounds silly. That being said, I want to know what things do and don't do.

One thing that you're almost certainly going to want to turn off but is pretty difficult to accidentally stumble on is the setting for whether Windows Update will have your system transmit patches to other users. It's on by default, meaning that it may eat through your bandwidth without giving any visible indication or benefiting you in any way. You can turn it off entirely, or set it to only work on your local network.

This was brought up earlier, but nobody mentioned how to find it. As it turns out, it literally took me fifteen seconds to flip it off: in the Search field on your taskbar, type in Windows Update -> click Windows Update settings -> Advanced options -> Choose how updates are delivered -> either A) toggle the "On" switch to "Off", or B) select "PCs on my local network"

I'd probably have mentioned that myself, but I don't have access to a Windows 10 system any more.

As easy enough as it is to find when you know that it exists, it's still hidden kind of deep. The advanced options fakelabel is easy to skim over, and the setting is non-advanced enough that it shouldn't be behind it anyway.

Is there a general UI design term for links that look like they're labels? It's a pretty common Metro paradigm, and a terrible one.

Yeah, sorry...I didn't mean that as a "LOL...settings are soooo easy to find" kind of post. Like you said, it's easy enough when you know it exists, and thanks to this thread, I knew what search terms to look for. But, I've also read people on this thread saying things like "It's only three mouse-clicks away!" and not mention what mouse-clicks they made were...so I figured I'd just say, explicitly, what steps to take to disable the whole Windows Update seed setting.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So are we still in the nebulous "they've said that a retail license upgrade stays retail, but thus far nobody's really found a way to get their retail key" state, or has Microsoft made a solid answer one way or the other by now?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So what's the consensus on Win10? I'm ordering a new computer for work and need an OS. Should I get 10 or 8 (or even 7?) Pro?

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    So what's the consensus on Win10? I'm ordering a new computer for work and need an OS. Should I get 10 or 8 (or even 7?) Pro?

imo 10 is the way to go, unless you have a specific reason not to. i.e. for the work you do, is there any software which you might have a concern running on 10? (if something runs on 8 it'll most likely run on 10). That kind of thing.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy with Win 10. The upgrade was a little wonky, but not a dealbreaker, and I fixed all my problems by doing a clean install.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    The upgrade is easy enough that I'd say there's no reason to get Windows 10 built in.

The Pro version of Windows 10 does come with downgrade rights to 7 and 8, though, so I suppose either way works fine. It's just a matter of what the default base state will be. I suspect that upgrading will be much, much easier than downgrading.

jothki on
  • Options
    I'd be doing a full install from scratch, so no upgrading for me. I ended up getting 10 Pro.

• Options
    Too late now of course, but you can upgrade in place and then do a full reinstall once your hardware has been registered.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So what's the consensus on the dickbag level of Lenovo nowadays? I'll be upgrading my laptop probably by the end of the week. Since I'm lazy and on travel for work, I probably won't do a clean install until I at least get home. I'm just curious if odd pieces of hardware, such as the built-in sound card, will cause problems (i.e. drivers not working properly, etc).

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So what's the consensus on the dickbag level of Lenovo nowadays? I'll be upgrading my laptop probably by the end of the week. Since I'm lazy and on travel for work, I probably won't do a clean install until I at least get home. I'm just curious if odd pieces of hardware, such as the built-in sound card, will cause problems (i.e. drivers not working properly, etc).

they had another super bad one last month. Basically they used a "feature" in how Windows and the BIOS work together to replace some Windows system files with Lenovo signed ones, something that not even pulling the hard drive out, putting a new one in, and installing a fresh copy of windows can fix. You have to hack/edit the BIOS, which is...not practical.

I personally would not buy a Lenovo product because of the two things they've been caught with.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I agree. Unfortunately, I bought this sucker back in November right before everything happened; so I'm going to get my use out of it. Rest assured, they will not be on my list in 5 years, when I look for a replacement.

• Options
    I kind of have a hard time blaming them for just following Microsoft's lead there. Editing the BIOS does seem more extreme, but they also don't have the ability to rewrite Windows to protect their bloatware like Microsoft can.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I agree. Unfortunately, I bought this sucker back in November right before everything happened; so I'm going to get my use out of it. Rest assured, they will not be on my list in 5 years, when I look for a replacement.

I had a moment because I thought this was the computer build thread, not the Windows thread. As for a software upgrade, you're almost certain to be fine. any windows 8.x driver should work in 10.

I'll just continue going about my business now, which apparently includes not reading thread titles.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    It looks like Microsoft backported the invasive privacy violating shit from Win10 to Windows 7 and 8 for those that care.

Seems easy to fix, however via just uninstalling and blackballing those updates from being installed again.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Search stopped working for me last night. When I do Win+S and type stuff, it just sits there forever with the five little dots zipping in and out at the top of the menu. Cortana is off, and I'm not using a local account, so this shouldn't be a network issue.

Edit: Never mind. Opening task manager and killing the SearchUI process fixed it.

Frem on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Okay, did a clean reinstall of Win 10 on my desktop this morning because I was getting weird errors with my drivers, hidden files in ProgramData kept taking up space and I don't like that, etc. So back to basics with the clean install.

Now I got to do the symlink thing to put the users folder and everything contained within on my standard HD so as not to eat up all that precious space on the SSD.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    by the way, I'm pretty sure that the modern/universal apps install into hidden folders in program data.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    by the way, I'm pretty sure that the modern/universal apps install into hidden folders in program data.

True, for me it was an issue of old programs still having 50-100mbs in ProgramData well after I had uninstalled them.

From an admittedly layman's point of view, is there any bloody good reason why things need to have files in Program Files/Program Files (x86), ProgramData, My Documents AND AppData?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Program Files holds 64-bit program executables
    Program Files (x86) holds 32-bit program executables
    ProgramData is designed to hold program data that is not user-specific
    AppData is designed to hold program data that is user-specific

My Documents is a user-level document store that was frequently used incorrectly for AppData/ProgramData by developers

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I just want everything to stay out of AppData, thanks. All those labels are fairly arbitrary, you can ignore them if you so desire for the most part.

• Options
    And really, the biggest thing is that you shouldn't have to worry about what is in each of those folders. I learned to stop caring a long time ago.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Okay, did a clean reinstall of Win 10 on my desktop this morning because I was getting weird errors with my drivers, hidden files in ProgramData kept taking up space and I don't like that, etc. So back to basics with the clean install.

Now I got to do the symlink thing to put the users folder and everything contained within on my standard HD so as not to eat up all that precious space on the SSD.

Keep in mind that if you move the entire Users folder (I think specifically AppData), the Windows Store won't work at all. That's the way I understand it anyway.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So suddenly I no longer have Hibernate as an option in the power menu. What gives? I have no idea what happened.

• Options
    I thought hibernate/standby were replaced with "sleep" in Windows 7?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Too late now of course, but you can upgrade in place and then do a full reinstall once your hardware has been registered.

Brand new computer so there's no option to upgrade... unless you consider new hardware + Windows 10 an upgrade over having nothing. ;)

• Options
    There's always Quirky.

(What? You wanna use DirectX 12? Pshhhh! Games are nothing compared with the joy of experimenting with Linux distros!)

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's...sort of related to Windows 8.1, but does anyone have drive cloning software they'd like to recommend? I'm going to be replacing my bugged Crucial M4 with a Samsung 850, and figured I'd transfer my OS along with the rest of my boot drive onto it.

Five years ago, people swore by Acronis True Image. Is that still any good?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I have a vague recollection that Samsung SSD's come with a cloning/migration application but I could be wrong, I know I didn't actually use it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I have a vague recollection that Samsung SSD's come with a cloning/migration application but I could be wrong, I know I didn't actually use it.

Huh, apparently it does--something called "Samsung Magician". Either on a disk or via download, I suppose.

• Options
    How well do you think Win10 Home would run on a Core2Duo with 4GB RAM? Trying to get a cheap computer for my dad (to upgrade him from his old XP/Celeron box) and I have spare parts lying around the office.

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    How well do you think Win10 Home would run on a Core2Duo with 4GB RAM? Trying to get a cheap computer for my dad (to upgrade him from his old XP/Celeron box) and I have spare parts lying around the office.

it'll run as well as Win7 would/did.