As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Glossolalia] Resonance Memorial Thread

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Dux wrote: »
    It would be like that Warhammer 40k rpg.

oh, dark heresy

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Fucking time travel.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely Dark Heresy.

Resonance is to Deathwatch as Derelict is to Dark Heresy.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I consult DE?AD because I live with him

and he knows how to write good RPGs

at the same time, he takes my input into account

we actually have an indie film idea we've been pinging back and forth for a year

God, I wanna make that movie

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    dark heresy is a game where the mage class tried to mind trick a bad guy and succeeded only in making the bad guy mildly sullen and withdrawn for several hours
    and then tried it again and exploded and was left naked, dying, and smoldering on the ground

dark heresy is a game where a cyborg priest with a giant axe continually cleft bad guys in two such that the ground was slick with gore and everybody started slipping and falling whenever they tried to do anything

It sounds fucking amazing.

• Options
    dark heresy is a game where the mage class tried to mind trick a bad guy and succeeded only in making the bad guy mildly sullen and withdrawn for several hours
    and then tried it again and exploded and was left naked, dying, and smoldering on the ground

dark heresy is a game where a cyborg priest with a giant axe continually cleft bad guys in two such that the ground was slick with gore and everybody started slipping and falling whenever they tried to do anything

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    basically what i'm thinking for damage is everyone gets a small amount of HP, say, 5.

when you get attacked, you roll against the attacker and if you lose you take 1 damage. if they beat you by 20 or more you get a minor injury Trait (bruise, small cut, etc.), if they beat you by 40 or more you get a more severe injury Trait (broken bone, bulletwound, etc.) and if they beat you by 80 or more you get a serious, permanent injury (severed limb, broken back, etc.). Lose all your HP and you're incapacitated

and then I'm also thinking about there being an ability in the time travel game to go back and undo a wound as a kind of heal

• Options
    basically what i'm thinking for damage is everyone gets a small amount of HP, say, 5.

when you get attacked, you roll against the attacker and if you lose you take 1 damage. if they beat you by 20 or more you get a minor injury Trait (bruise, small cut, etc.), if they beat you by 40 or more you get a more severe injury Trait (broken bone, bulletwound, etc.) and if they beat you by 80 or more you get a serious, permanent injury (severed limb, broken back, etc.). Lose all your HP and you're incapacitated

and then I'm also thinking about there being an ability in the time travel game to go back and undo a wound as a kind of heal

Sounds like something from Achron.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Sounds like something from Achron.
    achron is a game that i will never be able to play

but i am so very happy it exists

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    one could find a conveniently placed first aid kit that they placed there via stable time travel loop

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    If anyone ever wants advice on math and probability and rule thematics and game theory, I've read an awful lot about em.
    My GM focus group is my pokemon pbp irc.

I sometimes even get a feedback!

You mean like that time I said, "Uh...did you mean for some of us to drop in the very first encounter?"

And then I left the game soon after because I'm an idiot who overestimated the number of games he could play at once.

EDIT: Also, Marsh, I have listened to that song you posted for, like, an hour now.

Wasn't my answer to that question "yes"?

And Truxton is fun stuff. His first album is awesome and free, go get it.

• Options
    If anyone ever wants advice on math and probability and rule thematics and game theory, I've read an awful lot about em.

then by all means tell me what you think of the damage system i just proposed

• Options
    edited April 2012

then by all means tell me what you think of the damage system i just proposed

Initially it sounds a lot like Mutants & Masterminds' damage system, which is generally regarded as a pretty smooth way to handle injuries if you don't want to mess with HP. Edit: With a sort of countdown, "five strikes and you're out" thing, if each attack deals one and only one HP.

Will look it over more closely when I am not in the middle of a Shadowrun session!

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Man now I really want to run another game. I should call up my friends and see if they are interested

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    The Strategon’s plan to use RNR as makeshift armor backfires as Jane’s TITAN proves the stronger, pulling against the creature’s wiry frame and countering its movements. As the lashed-together machines struggle with each other, Eastwood’s shots barely go wide. Hard to account for flailing like that when you’re trying not to hit a teammate.

To the discredit of Daisuke’s ego, when he also fails to account for flailing like that, his shot strikes RNR right in the head.. Doubly to the discredit of his ego, that shot leaves RNR’s head barely scratched. I mean, if he was gonna accidentally headshot somebody, at least it could do some damage, you know?

As Ken roars and slams his fist down onto the “fire the big laser” button, he briefly perceives a subtle change in the familiar hum of his TITAN’s kockpit.

Daisuke scarcely has time in which to consider how fortunate it is that all video recording devices in the vicinity are likely offline right now before the Krusher’s laser cuts through the night beside him. It sears with a greater intensity than a even giant fuck-off laser cannon usually should, and cuts effortlessly through the lines suspending RNR’s arms and torso, causing Jane’s TITAN to flop over unceremoniously before the weight of the robot tears RNR’s legs free as well and drops the entire mechanoid to the battered pavement below. The glare of the laser’s light does not entirely fade.

The Krusher’s battered armor plates begin to emit a golden glow, and heretofore unknown panels on the TITAN’s limbs and shoulders slide open, exposing grilles through which golden flames burn. The man who is Ken Tangaro loses all conception of his place in the Krusher’s kockpit. He no longer feels his heartbeat, only the steady buzz of the TITAN’s internal reactor. He no longer feels the air in his lungs or the sweat on his skin, only the armor plates and steel mechanisms of the Krusher. He is the Krusher.

Before the Ken Krusher stands his enemy. The beast’s flesh, woven of a million inky-blue strands, begins to sizzle and burn from the golden light.

No!” the Strategon gasps. It takes up a fighting stance, and the careful observer might even see it trembling almost imperceptibly.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    @stilts I might be a liiiiittle late on skype but hopefully not much

• Options
    edited April 2012
    @stilts I might be a liiiiittle late on skype but hopefully not much

No problem. I have plenty of time.

Also, a 92/80 for my shot?

Damn that's some horrible luck.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Titan updates make me giddy like a little school girl

• Options
    @Speed Racer It's looking like the interview will be closer to 8 my time.

So, like, don't rush to get on Skype or anything.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    okay i lied i'm on skype whenever you're ready

• Options
  • Options
    Ken Tangaro 0 [STR] [SPI] / The Ken Krusher (B) [STR] [TUF]

Ken's voice booms through the decimated city streets.

"DOMINATION!"

H charges headlong at the Strategon, and as it gets close, leaps as high as his heavy, cumbersome frame will allow. He crashes into the Strategon, gripping its head in his hand as they tumble to the ground with Ken on top.

"KRUSH!" As the Strategon's head impacts the cracked pavement of the street, Ken tightens his grip as hard as he can, smashing the villain's skull in his mighty golden hand.

I don't think I set a finishing move until now. This is what it is going to be!

• Options
    @Speed Racer It's looking like the interview will be closer to 8 my time.

So, like, don't rush to get on Skype or anything.

oh okay that's fine!

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular

Take this into consideration or not, but when building [%], I very purposely stripped out the notion of opposed rolls - they create an entirely new type of roll in an otherwise uniform system, are unrelated to the normal notion of Chance, and slowdown gameplay by adding an additional roll.

The HP notion is fine, and, in fact, I'm toying with something similar for [%]'s optional rules. Negative points, essentially.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    DE?AD wrote: »

Take this into consideration or not, but when building [%], I very purposely stripped out the notion of opposed rolls - they create an entirely new type of roll in an otherwise uniform system, are unrelated to the normal notion of Chance, and slowdown gameplay by adding an additional roll.

The HP notion is fine, and, in fact, I'm toying with something similar for [%]'s optional rules. Negative points, essentially.

So then do enemies just have a set Chance of dodging an attack or landing a hit? I guess that would keep players from getting dicked over when the enemy has a lucky roll. I guess the difference doesn't seem super-important to me? Essentially they're both the same idea, just in one case the Chance to hit or defend yourself is random and in the other it's established in advance. I can kind of see benefits to both.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    The thing is if you roll and the other guy rolls it's completely random. How proficient a character a character is doesn't factor in at all.

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    The thing is if you roll and the other guy rolls it's completely random. How proficient a character a character is doesn't factor in at all.
    yeah, that's true.

• Options

So then do enemies just have a set Chance of dodging an attack or landing a hit? I guess that would keep players from getting dicked over when the enemy has a lucky roll. I guess the difference doesn't seem super-important to me? Essentially they're both the same idea, just in one case the Chance to hit or defend yourself is random and in the other it's established in advance. I can kind of see benefits to both.

Yep.

But I tend to always calculate chance from the player's point of view (i.e. when an enemy attacks, I roll the PC's chance to dodge, not the enemy's chance to hit).

Not really an important distinction, but that's how I like to do it for Resonance.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

Yep.

But I tend to always calculate chance from the player's point of view (i.e. when an enemy attacks, I roll the PC's chance to dodge, not the enemy's chance to hit).

Not really an important distinction, but that's how I like to do it for Resonance.
    yeah no i do the same thing in derelict

and now that I think of it I don't roll for enemies in derelict

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »

yeah, that's true.

I was gonna do an educational post on the degrees of success and opposed roll system in dark heresy (which I obviously really like) but I don't even remember if timetravelgame has characteristics like dark heresy does

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    There are a few seconds of silence after the sound of the Krusher’s roar and the impact of its attack fades away.

Then, the Strategon begins to laugh.

Templar’s former head is krushed in the Krusher’s grip. Black goo oozes from between the TITAN’s fingers, and immediately begins to bubble and pop. Wherever the Krusher’s golden light touches it, the Strategon’s form begins to smoke, then burn, dissolving away.

“Enjoy your victory while you can,” the Strategon says, the voice seemingly omnipresent instead of coming from the dying hulk beneath the Krusher. The flaming panels on the Krusher close, its aura dimming, then winking out, and Ken is suddenly snapped back into the kockpit, where he sits with his hand outstretched, panting heavily.

Though the light is gone, the Strategon’s disintegration only accelerates. “You’ve won nothing,” it says, a sneer in its voice. “I am but one root of a mighty tree. Our work will not be stopped here.”

And then, with remarkably little fanfare, the Strategon is gone, leaving the Krusher kneeling atop the torn remains of Templar’s body, lit only by the burning city.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Quick math thing on Speed's damage. I think I did this right.

On any given attack roll, assuming neither side has any penalties/bonuses.

Win - 50%
    20-40 - 15%
    40-80 - 18%
    80+ - 3%

Once you include bonuses, things will get mathematically wonky enough that I don't care to algebra it out. Roughly though, the chance of minor or moderate injury will increase steadily, until they get overtaken by the arithmatically increasing chance of serious injury.

For instance:
    Assuming the attacker has a +10% bonus:
    Win - 59%
    20-40 - 17%
    40-80 - 22%
    80+ - 6%

Assuming the attacker has a +20% bonus:
    Win - 66%
    20-40 - 19%
    40-80 - 26%
    80+ - 10%

Assuming the attacker has a +50% bonus:
    Win - 87.5%
    20-40 - 15%
    40-80 - 36%
    80+ - 28%

Edit: If the defender has the bonus, then the attacker's chance of injury of all types will drop off pretty sharply.

ie. Assuming the defender has a +20% bonus
    Win - 32%
    20-40 - 11%
    40-80 - 10%
    80+ - 0%

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    another idea that I should probably get feedback on instead of trying to work out in my own brain

this is what I'm thinking right now for the level-up system

use something similar to how ki points work in Resonance or sort of how they work in Titan. At the end of a mission, you get x amount of points. You can invest those points into your traits. Investing them into your major or minor traits boosts your chance of success with that trait by y amount per point. Investing them into your niche trait, which will be your class in my game, will eventually unlock a new "tier" of class abilities that you can use. like maybe to start you have one weak ability, but after you invest 5 points in your class you unlock three decent abilities. Basically the same idea as buying upgrades in Titan, but you buy in bulk instead of individually.

I'm just not really sure how to go about balancing any of those numbers

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Balance in a game is pretty much trying to obscure from your players the fact that 1=1.

This is mostly accomplished by having an ability that is, say, worth 1 point in Situation A, but worth 2(!) points in Situation B. Then you have a second ability that is worth 2 points in Situation A, but only 1 point in Situation B.

If those two situations come up an equal amount of times, those abilities are balanced! Sorta!

So from there, balancing is just determining what you want your situations to be, how often you want them to come up, and how to craft abilities to take advantage of em.

For instance, all of D&Ds abilities are (surprise, surprise) balanced around combat instead of social and investigatory encounters. Hence why Diplomacy and Streetwise are relegated to the Skill list rather than being a main class ability. The ability to sweet talk isn't as useful (overall, that is) as the ability to hit someone in the face with a sword in a game like D&D.

Who in D&D takes the Linguist feat? Someone who knows that situations in which they will need to know a language will come up very, very often or be very, very important. That's because Linguist is worth 1 point in a typical combat encounter ("The Goblin is shouting about how he's gonna cut your tonker off in Goblin-ish.") and worth roughly 100 points when you need to read the Goblin-script instructions on how to control the end-of-the-world-artifact.

If you never find that Goblin Doomsday Device, Linguist is always 1 point.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    yeah i get that

i guess i mean more, I want the bonuses from "leveling up" to seem worthwhile, but I also don't want them to make it too difficult to construct difficult scenarios

my instinct says that that's impossible, as long as I keep decreasing the chances of success on each roll, but something about that doesn't seem quite right

like how you just pointed out that once you have a 20% bonus to defense it's no longer possible to receive the worst kinds of injuries

when really it should just be impossible to receive them from weaker enemies

I suppose I could sort of cheat and eventually get down into "negative" Chance and that way I can always make rolls always have a chance of failing severely no matter how high the bonus is

but something about that doesn't seem right to me either

• Options
    edited April 2012
    does vanilla [%] even have a progression system or is it all just based on earning more points

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    maybe i'm overthinking it

use points the way they're "meant" to be used, to spend whenever you want to increase chance

or between missions you can use them to buy new abilities like in Titan

• Options
    Making systems is suffering.

This discussion has been closed.