As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Well yeah, it's supposed to be "youse guys"

• Options
    JelloJelloJelloJello Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    That sounds like horrendous advice

I don't know about that. I think Lao-Tzu knew a thing or two, especially given that he's semi-fictional.

"Those who attain the Tao are weak in ambition but strong at work; their minds are open and their responses are fitting. Those weak in ambition are flexible and yielding, peaceful and quiet; they hide in nonacquisitiveness and pretend to be inexpert. Tranquil and uncontrived, when they act they do not miss the timing".

I'm living it. I'm at work two or three days a week. I'm paid a full-time wage. I can work as much or as little as I want. I have plenty of money in the bank. I moved to Europe.

What has your struggle for money, prestige and the adoration of the art world got you?

As Lao-Tzu pointed out, "When people lose their essential nature by following desires, their actions are never correct".

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    well i finished that halifax application after 3 hours

turns out the 5 years employment history, ferreting around for references and addresses and phone numbers was just the warmup

the main event were 3 online tests - checking strings of characters, a multiple choice 'what most describes a corporate shitheel' questionnaire and my absolute fucking bane

a timed maths test

even with a calculator i fucked up something fierce, i have actively avoided doing maths for the last 10 years

• Options
    Is this Learned Hand back from the dead?

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    God damn. The SAS screening of job application processes

Best of luck with that Beasteh!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    my day has been a series of 30 minute phone calls during which i feel nothing gets done and each makes me more confused than the last, and now my brain is so scrambled that i don't know what is going on or how to do my work

and i am not alone, my coworker who has been on these calls feels the same way

this is just

i can't

poo
  • Options
    who am i

poo
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    who am i

Jackie Chan?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    You're a guy who is actually figuring out that the key factor to working in most places is total avoidance of meetings and conference calls.

• Options
    who am i

Spartacus?

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    mah brains, mah brains

poo
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cxc2K.gif

"French....Fries...."

Ruckus on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    Man running your own shop is pretty nice. I will hopefully never ever again have to sell piece of shit computers that aren't even worth a tenth of their price. (I cringed today when the guy we "bought out" almost started selling a Acer laptop to this one lady. A laptop we don't even have in stock (I refuse to stock Acer computers, they are pieces of shit))
    The bad part about running your own shop is having to ask yourself the following question all the time: "Can I afford food this month?" also getting phonecalls at 7 in the evening from someone who is selling "executive beard trimmers, special offer only for CEO's!"

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I loooove my eee :(

• Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    I've been working at an engineering firm for the last 6 months as a co-op. I'm about to go back to school and we more or less both suggested I can work part time since they are close to my school. So yaaaay!

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Janson wrote: »

That's an ASUS.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

I thought it was that other guy, can't remember his name. It was triple barrel or something.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options

I thought it was that other guy, can't remember his name. It was triple barrel or something.

Who knows

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    JelloJello wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    That sounds like horrendous advice

I don't know about that. I think Lao-Tzu knew a thing or two, especially given that he's semi-fictional.

"Those who attain the Tao are weak in ambition but strong at work; their minds are open and their responses are fitting. Those weak in ambition are flexible and yielding, peaceful and quiet; they hide in nonacquisitiveness and pretend to be inexpert. Tranquil and uncontrived, when they act they do not miss the timing".

I'm living it. I'm at work two or three days a week. I'm paid a full-time wage. I can work as much or as little as I want. I have plenty of money in the bank. I moved to Europe.

What has your struggle for money, prestige and the adoration of the art world got you?

As Lao-Tzu pointed out, "When people lose their essential nature by following desires, their actions are never correct".

You could be lying. :bz

• Options
    Also I don't know shit about the art world

You might have me confused with someone else

• Options
    Has he cryptically messaged anyone else?

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    Ruckus wrote: »

That's an ASUS.

Which is a pretty good brand for almost everything they make. One of the bigger selling points is the 2 year warranty for all their laptops compared with the Acer's usual one year.

Goddamnit I'm going into sales mode on these forums now.

• Options
    Nope!

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I feel like if you have to specify that the work you do is perfectly legitimate, you're already arguing at a disadvantage.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Well yeah, it's supposed to be "youse guys"

Working with New England transplants (who, strangely are some of the trashier people) and rednecks I get both the youses and the ya'lls

Also for some reason regardless of region a lot of them say

'sim-u-lar'

they really like to stress that u

• Options
    everybody knows sheri's really struggling for money, prestige and the adoration of the fart world

• Options
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    everybody knows sheri's really struggling for money, prestige and the adoration of the fart world

Funnily enough

Just talking about farts at work

• Options
    Ruckus wrote: »

That's an ASUS.
    Oooooh

I was trying to picture the logo in my head, too

Man, I fail

• Options
    rock solid

heart-touching

weirdest motto

• Options
    Man they are painting the next office over and it smells and I sorta feel like I'm going to barf

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    My health is now at a point where I am stable enough that I feel like I can legitimately look for work again, i.e. I shouldn't have any more week+ hospital stays on short notice.

The problem is, I've been pretty much out of work for a few years at this point, and I'm not sure where to start.

Should I sit and try to put together a CV, with a stock cover letter?

Should that cover letter try to explain my lack of work over the past few years?

Should I talk about my health issues?

Is it even worth mentioning the specific dates / locations of previous jobs, or just that I have experience in doing certain things?

halp

• Options
    Guys, if you want to hear something silly

I am pretty particular about how I staple things (well, I am particular about a lot of things, but this is maybe the silliest thing)

I do a lot of stapling and filing (invoices) and I always have to line everything neatly up, and there must only be one staple per check, and it must be straight along the edge of the paper, not at an angle, and it must not be too far from the edge of the paper, either

I am often removing staples from packing receipts and expense reports and then re-stapling them

anyway I realised today that one of my fears of going on maternity leave is coming back to a stack of non-neatly stapled papers

(I am actually not too concerned about the actual *work* my replacement may do, mainly because she's only going to be entering invoices, cutting checks and filing; all the journal entries & reporting & reconciliations that I usually do my boss says can wait until I return)

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Your only solution is to not go on maternity leave to make sure the staples are neat.

• Options
    I offered to say, come in one morning a week or something

and my boss just glared at me and said no way she was letting me back before my 12 weeks are up, for my sake

which I appreciate but oh gosh those staples

• Options
    I'm hardly an expert Fyndir but I'd maybe make a CV that focuses on your skills and experience, and don't worry about specific dates for those experiences- the difference between putting in a timeline explaining how you spent 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 working at a store, and just saying "2 years retail experience" and elaborating on your duties. The latter doesn't imply a "lost" year, although some employers pretty much demand a checkable work history, as in Beasteh's case (in which case? Adapt the CV on a per-application basis, perhaps)

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Has he cryptically messaged anyone else?

No, but he DID message me admitting that he did, in fact, confuse me with someone else

To whom that would be a pretty jerk thing to say to

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I offered to say, come in one morning a week or something

and my boss just glared at me and said no way she was letting me back before my 12 weeks are up, for my sake

which I appreciate but oh gosh those staples

They're going to be at every angle possible and haunt you in your dreams.

• Options
    I agree with Ed, but I also don't think it would necessarily do you harm to mention that it's your health that's prevented you from finding work?

• Options
    Aw Janson, don't worry, I go mental about things not being highlighted at work. If an order is "AM Priority" and it is not highlighted I go a bit mad, I'm all "But this why we HAVE highlighters! And it has not been HIGHLIGHTED!".

• Options
    I agree with Ed, but I also don't think it would necessarily do you harm to mention that it's your health that's prevented you from finding work?

Right, of course not, but at the same time you shouldn't by any means feel pressured to outline everything in painstaking detail

But by that same token "stuck in hospital" is a much better explanation than "uh... didn't feel like working? I guess?"

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
This discussion has been closed.