As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Well, you know the exact pay rates, so you can figure out whether the difference in hours results in a difference in take-home that is considerable for you over the course of weeks/months/years.

I guess another issue is the respective industries of each job and what you think of their long term career potential and any attached urgency.

Aside from those two issues, I'd feel like benefits and a consistent schedule would be my pick.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The second job (the possibly full-time one) is in the newspaper industry, which is why I'm wary of going back full-time. I've been laid off from this exact job before.

The reason I'm even considering it is because one of the dudes here is probably retiring soon, so I imagine there'd be some job security there with having me to replace him. But at the same time he's been on disability for months so I imagine people would be like "Well we've been doing fine so far so why would we hire another person full-time when we can just have someone permanently part-time?"

Buuuut this same department was looking for another part-time person to work some day shifts - so who the hell really knows?

Also, the difference in pay is like $130 before tax - not a significant amount, but not exactly insignificant either. And it'd be $130 if I worked 44 hours both weeks, which doesn't always happen.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Another thing to consider is you'll have sick leave so you be paid on days you can't work.

Additionally, you'll be able to spend time with your kid, which means less money to pay your mother.

I think the question needs to be. Is that money difference worth the family time you'll gain, also considering the eternal, can I pay the bills question.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If it were me, I'd absolutely go for the full time shift. The difference in cash is small enough that the benefits (being able to be home with your family more, weekends off, vacation time, not being constantly tired) outweigh the loss. But that's just what I would do!

Either way, good luck with whatever you decide!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Yeah, I did the math and working a 40 hour shift would mean a difference of $30 total.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah considering your quality of life, it seems like a no brainer for me at least.

Did you also consider money saved from not driving to two jobs?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    You work for that one in San Jose, right Mori? The Mercury or something? As long as that paper's sticking around for a while it should be fine. But, once bitten twice shy and all that.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    oh, also, do i have to get rid of this facial hair for my interview or if it's neat and whatnot it will be fine

poo
  • Options
    You should but you don't have to.

• Options
    okay

hmm

i've had it for like, 6 months and most people (except my parents) say it is good (and makes me look less babby)

but i will consider ditching it for the interview because i care about it

poo
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Maybe trim it to a goatee?

Those are universally recognised as a sign of a trustworthy gent, right?

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Disney just okayed cast to have full beards and goatees, so long as they're neatly kept. And that's saying something. I think you'd be fine as long as you don't look like a homeless man.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Mori...take the full time job, bud.

Your life is about to go all manner of topsyturvy and it might be a nice thing to know when your shift will be, what days you'll have off....be awake to spend time with the kid.

If they're willing to offer, I'm thinking you should likely take it, bud.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    At this stage your application is currently on hold and we will be in contact shortly to advise you of the next steps.

that certainly is cryptic!!

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Mori...take the full time job, bud.

Your life is about to go all manner of topsyturvy and it might be a nice thing to know when your shift will be, what days you'll have off....be awake to spend time with the kid.

If they're willing to offer, I'm thinking you should likely take it, bud.

Yeah, I'm gonna call my boss this afternoon and ask if it's feasible. Like I said I'm not positive I can get one, but it seems likely.

If I do, I might have to wait for the other guy to retire/quit, since I think they'd rather wait until they're not paying the one guy disability anymore.

• Options
    Of course, but at least you've proven that you dig the job and are willing to work. Now your boss knows that you want to make this a full time thing and well, that can't suck.

• Options
    we had lucky charms at the office

thats the first time ive eaten cereal in years

and i already had breakfast, so much for self control

poo
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Disney just okayed cast to have full beards and goatees, so long as they're neatly kept. And that's saying something. I think you'd be fine as long as you don't look like a homeless man.

Look, I may have a crazy Ted Kaczynski Unabomber beard, and I may be homeless, but I'm not a...

What was the third thing again?

• Options
    I'm pretty sure my boss wanted me to work full-time until I said I had another job. It's a shame because I really like my day job but I can't ever see myself getting a full-time position here.

• Options
    Hunter wrote:
    Sheri wrote: »

Look, I may have a crazy Ted Kaczynski Unabomber beard, and I may be homeless, but I'm not a...

What was the third thing again?

muslim? like obama?

poo
  • Options
    Another report from a reference being followed up with.

Two down, two to go...if they call everyone.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    :^:

Man, I have caught up on all the filing that was even left from when my coworker was working this position in 2009/2010

What do I do for the next few weeks, write reaaaaally detailed work instructions I guess

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote:

you's got it mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn you's gon get it

poo
  • Options
    Janson wrote:

Man, I have caught up on all the filing that was even left from when my coworker was working this position in 2009/2010

What do I do for the next few weeks, write reaaaaally detailed work instructions I guess

24 pages (not including the diagrams) on the proper placement of staples?

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote:

Don't say shit like this, man. What the hell is wrong with you? Nothing is ever done until there is ink on paper.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote:

Don't say shit like this, man. What the hell is wrong with you? Nothing is ever done until there is ink on paper.

What's the worst that can happen?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote:

yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

"Here is the document binding procedure"

*drops phonebook-sized bundle on desk*

"Remember, no crooked staples!"

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote:

I've got a bad feeling about this...

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Right now Steve is painting arcane and long-dead symbols on the floor and swinging a dead cat over his head to ward off all this bullshit.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote:

Never tell me the odds

• Options
    Hunter wrote:
    DrZiplock wrote:

Go outside, turn around three times, curse, and spit.

All of you.

Go!

NOW!

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote:

Never tell me the odds

Glad I could do this one last job with you guys, I'm only two days from retirement (also I'm black).

• Options
    Stale wrote: »
    Right now Steve is painting arcane and long-dead symbols on the floor and swinging a dead cat over his head to ward off all this bullshit.

Already contacted my friend who buys hogs to get one for sacrifice. Couldn't get a goat, but whatever...hooved will do and then, hey, BBQ afterwards.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote:

Never tell me the odds

Glad I could do this one last job with you guys, I'm only two days from retirement (also I'm black).

The plan is perfect...it can't fail!

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have a feeling my stapling would drive Janson crazy. I figure that as long as it keeps the papers together, it's doing its job. I am looking at some papers on my desk, and all of the staples are slanted the wrong way just a bit.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    I have a feeling my stapling would drive Janson crazy. I figure that as long as it keeps the papers together, it's doing its job. I am looking at some papers on my desk, and all of the staples are slanted the wrong way just a bit.

you are worse than hitler

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I just tried making the staple neat, but the papers got all messed up.
    Usually we just use paperclips, which is nice.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options

No I'm not. I'm sitting in my office fucking off while the boss is out to lunch. No reason to work when he can't see it.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular

No I'm not. I'm sitting in my office fucking off while the boss is out to lunch. No reason to work when he can't see it.

it's not always about you, princess.

easysig2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.