As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Oh, yes, of course!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    oh apparently i passed the online test part of the application
    We'll be in touch soon to let you know about the next stage of your application.

You've just come one step closer to what could be a very rewarding career.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Yay Beasteh!

• Options
    i could be a man in a bank very soon i hope (oh god please hire me i need money)

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    you can do it ross!

you can get job!

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i could be a man in a bank very soon i hope (oh god please hire me i need money)

It shows here in our online presence test that you post on SE++? DENIED!

Seriously, good luck man, hope you get it!

• Options
    StingeStinge Registered User regular
    About 5 weeks into my new job. Lots of overtime, (mostly) good coworkers, and my supervisors are realistic. I'm exhausted every day, but I love the money.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I think I got a job at the sleep studies clinic I've been pining over for the last 8 or so months.
    I missed out when they first opened because the noticeboard at my Uni (they were looking for students so they asked the uni to advertise) had the wrong closing dates. So I finished up my exams before applying - 2 weeks too late.

They called me up a couple weeks ago to come in and interview to replace a tech who left. Unfortunately it's an overnight shift position which I'm going to have a lot of trouble doing with my back condition, and making sure I survive the honours program this year. But they told me I can do half shifts or something, which is great. They're pretty nice people.

So I've done some observation shifts (come in and watch the tech that's working that night) and told them I like it and want to be a paid employee now please. So they're doing the contracting up and will contact me later on for training. Aweeeesome. It's degree (Psychology) related work and I am really interested in the field of sleep, so I'm super duper excited to work there and get some experience.

I think they're really interested in having me there too, because of the research potential I am bringing. Only myself and the head tech are psychology graduates, and both the head tech and head doctor are too busy to write research papers to publish and get sleep studies in the Northern Territory (Australia) on the map, basically. With me, I have an honours thesis next year to write, they would like me to do my thesis on something sleep related, and will allow me access to their resources and data to do so. And when I graduate, and I'll have a lot more time to keep pumping out papers while I work there. They have a lot of ideas that they just can't turn into published papers so the doctors eyes lit up when he found out that if you get me, you get research potential. The other techs are either pharmacy, med, or biomed science students who have no interest in writing papers or have much of an academic background in it.

It's all good for me, publishing papers is like academic currency, I could use some of that after I've graduated! Plus, they really loved a paper I wrote in undergrad on sleep and sleep research that got a top grade, so they've got a good opinion of my ability there.

I'm just really hoping I can juggle my back condition, honours program, and this job. Gotta try. Can't pass it up.

tl;dr
    Looks like I got a job in something I'm super interested in and degree related yaaay

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    JelloJelloJelloJello Registered User regular

Wow, what a douche thing to write to a job applicant. You have to earn the right to sell your labour to Halifax, a division of Bank of Scotland, itself a wholly owned subsidiary of Lloyds Banking Group. They don't exploit just anyone. Only the best get fucked over with poor wages, poor work conditions, poor worker's rights, et cetera while the guys at the top are making millions off you.

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

You got this thing brosteh!

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    Janson wrote: »
    I agree with Ed, but I also don't think it would necessarily do you harm to mention that it's your health that's prevented you from finding work?

Right, of course not, but at the same time you shouldn't by any means feel pressured to outline everything in painstaking detail

But by that same token "stuck in hospital" is a much better explanation than "uh... didn't feel like working? I guess?"

but I should still include the URL for my forum account, right?

That's a thing I'm meant to do?

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Resisting...urge to...argue with.....jello.

*pops a blood vessel*

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    JelloJello wrote: »

Wow, what a douche thing to write to a job applicant. You have to earn the right to sell your labour to Halifax, a division of Bank of Scotland, itself a wholly owned subsidiary of Lloyds Banking Group. They don't exploit just anyone. Only the best get fucked over with poor wages, poor work conditions, poor worker's rights, et cetera while the guys at the top are making millions off you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuONuafxwk

• Options
    ps i worked for natwest for 2 years and it was the easiest, most rewarding job i've ever had so

jog on

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yukira wrote: »
    I offered to say, come in one morning a week or something

and my boss just glared at me and said no way she was letting me back before my 12 weeks are up, for my sake

which I appreciate but oh gosh those staples

They're going to be at every angle possible and haunt you in your dreams.

eye twitching at even a single minute of degree between the staple and the edge

neurotic violin in the background

Ledneh on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    I offered to say, come in one morning a week or something

and my boss just glared at me and said no way she was letting me back before my 12 weeks are up, for my sake

which I appreciate but oh gosh those staples

They're going to be at every angle possible and haunt you in your dreams.

eye twitching at even a single minute of degree between the staple and the edge

neurotic violin in the background

A nightmareish twilight zone where each staple is always slightly off.

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    then it turns out the violin was your coworker being an asshole

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    And thus @Janson is driven insane and becomes a supervillain

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    My goal was to apply for 5 jobs then plan a vacation.

Welp, gonna apply to 10 now, then feel okay enough to plan a vacation. (This is difficult seeing as there aren't even 10 people hiring in North America for my role right now)

• Options
    Kochikens wrote: »

Welp, gonna apply to 10 now, then feel okay enough to plan a vacation. (This is difficult seeing as there aren't even 10 people hiring in North America for my role right now)

What do you do? Are you going to stay in Canada land?

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »

I'd rather not stay in Canada land, but I think employers are reluctant to hire someone out of country right now, soo, I may not have much choice. I just really need to get out of British Columbia. Been thinking the UK might be cool, and it's much easier to get a Visa there. I'm a Lighting Artist in the gaming industry, so kinda specialized, but thankfully there are tools like this: http://gamedevmap.com/ to help me find something.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

Multiply that by.... 10. Maybe 20.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options

I'd rather not stay in Canada land, but I think employers are reluctant to hire someone out of country right now, soo, I may not have much choice. I just really need to get out of British Columbia. Been thinking the UK might be cool, and it's much easier to get a Visa there. I'm a Lighting Artist in the gaming industry, so kinda specialized, but thankfully there are tools like this: http://gamedevmap.com/ to help me find something.

Go to Amsterdam!

• Options
    edited March 2012

Go to Amsterdam!

Lighting artist seems to weak next to a LIGHTNING artist though!

But also, time to look into Canadian working visas for that country

Kochikens on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    What's your field?

Since a few people asked this, I'm a librarian. A public librarian, at that. My job now is touching on a bunch of other things like HR, basic payroll management, and grant management (writing, executing, reporting, etc.) and those skills would transfer elsewhere but I'd have to convince someone of that.

It's not even that I don't like my job but dang heck I could use some more money.

There are usually professional associations associated with each field. Something like this: http://ala-apa.org/ for instance. I don't know what the big one in your field is, but I'm sure you do.

Their websites usually have a job board of some kind that is pretty specific in terms of jobs you'll see. Try there.

Way ahead of you, I've got librarian job listings for days. I was asking about more general sites because I'm curious about how far I can stretch what I'm doing now into other (possibly more lucrative) industries. I can manage the shit out of some pretty large scale programs, that's got to be worth something.

Have you thought about getting a PMP cert? That might make you marketable to more industries as a project manager

I'd never even heard of this. Thanks!

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    @Beasteh: I hope it goes well!

• Options
    thank'ee miss

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    My docs weren't too keen on me working out of health concerns but following quarter I am gonna find me work or short-term research opportunities. Because I am bored and need shit to do, and also maybe get payed and start building up a resume.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    End wrote: »
    whoa Keith has a job?
    grats Keith

I did indeed get a job. Thanks

it's why I haven't been posting as much. Basically been working 11 hour days every day (although today was only 10 hours).

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hope everyone's things go well.. also I had no idea Keith found a job until I read this today, and yay. :)

Dr. Ziplock: Total agreement about 'y'all'.

Janson, you and staple are adorable and I am like this about labeling things in my lab. People will write one number on a tube and throw it in the freezer, and I'll open the door to a freezer full of mystery tubes out from under which I need to locate my carefully labeled samples, which have of course been pushed out of the way. BUT AT LEAST I KNOW THEY'RE MINE, WHEN I MADE THEM, AND WHAT ORGANISM THEY CAME OUT OF. Then my professor comes in and asks what the mystery tubes of mystery are, I tell him shit if I know, and he goes 'eh, they've probably been here for a while,' and then TRASH. Hope those weren't important.

I've finally finished my resume and handed it to my lab advisor to look over. It came to nearly 2 pages, but he'd said that's okay for this field. Then I have the name of a couple temp agencies to send off to, which just sounds ideal for me since part-time lab work apparently isn't a thing.

Also I'm going to learn to play the violin, because I've always wanted to and just didn't think I could, and anyway heaven forbid I'm not spending my time trying to learn some random new thing.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Violins are for prima donna babies. Learn the cello.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Violas all the way, man.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Is this Learned Hand back from the dead?

Legin, LearnedHand, AJC Delle Marche Esq, etc.

Probably. Oddly spaced paragraphs, contempt for work, moved to the UK out of school, weird pseudo-philosophical self affirmations...

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    If I don't get this gig, I'm at least going to be able to pinpoint the exact moment when it went off the rails.

From the CEO and one of the co-founders: "Tell us what we're doing wrong."

"You need to back off the bacon thing. It's become a parody of itself and it's time to let it die the natural death it deserves."

"Anything else?"

"....people don't really like Big Bang Theory, right?"

It will be that 15 second exchange.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You failed to notice the 'bazinga' shirt that the CEO was wearing

Your costliest mistake

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    CEO is the antithesis of "geek". Guy just doesn't get the culture at all, but has some incredible retail chops and knows what it takes to run things. He leaves the "what" to others and focuses on the "how".

• Options
    Well, then it only makes more sense that he'd like the show.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Violins are for prima donna babies. Learn the cello.

They're nice too.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Job thread, what do you think:

I currently work two jobs. They're both easy enough to do, the hardest part is that one is in the evening and one is at night. As a result I'm pretty tired a lot of the time.

I average around 40-44 hours a week at an average pay of $13.50. I actually make an okay amount of money for someone with no college education to speak of, though I could certainly do better.

My dilemma is this: at the end of next month or early may, @Janson and is having a baby. Because of this I'll obviously be expected to help care for the baby. Now, nowadays I'm shaking off the tiredness by taking naps between shifts - but this obviously won't really be feasible with a baby to take care of. I'm concerned about my job performance at my jobs, as well as, well, my ability to drive.

My mother will help in the mornings when neither of us are there, and obviously we'll pay her for her time.

I was thinking, though - my second job might be willing to hire me full-time. They only hired me part-time because I had this first job that I wanted to keep. But given that my first job just hired me and are paying me less than the second is. Not much less, but still less.

Working a full-time job would mean benefits, like vacation time. It would also actually mean slightly less hours, as I'd be working 37.5 hours a week, what with having to take a lunch and all. However, it would also only mean one shift a day, and that I would get two full days off instead of the 1 I normally get. I also talked with my
    mother and she's willing to help look after the kid when Rachel and I are at work or even if I'm just sleeping in our bedroom after a late shift.

What do you think, SE? I'm sort of leaning towards full-time employment. It's not guaranteed that they'd be willing to hire me at the second job - I'm going to ask tomorrow, but if they did...

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Got shafted with a double shift at the convience store. Time and a half but still a major bummer.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
This discussion has been closed.