As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Men: Resisting Avengers Oppression For Five Decades

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    The other X-team books are in this weird transitional point too, with Wolverine dying and all (I just finally dropped the two Jean Grey school titles because they felt like they were treading water). And given that most of them just got new teams, we probably won't see a lot of changes or new team books until around a year from now.

Also, I finished Whedon's run on Astonishing. I really liked the actual Breakworld story, but every other arc was really weak, mostly because they always ended without being totally resolved. The cure in the gifted storyline almost felt like a red herring, the way the arc ended and it was never brought up again. The Torn/Hellfire arc had a really ambiguous ending, and it felt like there may have been more story to it that Whedon didn't get to. The six-issue arcs didn't work very well for the two middle stories either, which felt needlessly decompressed. And like I was saying before, with the Wild Sentinels, Genosha, and Cassandra Nova, it really felt like Whedon revisited too many of the stories and concepts from the Morrison era.

That said, I'm glad to have read those runs after hearing them talked about for years.

Whedon's run was very much a sequel to Morrison's X-men, if you don't like what Morrison did you're not going to like his.

I don't agree with that at all. Ultimately I am not an enormous fan of either, but the tone between them was night and day. Morrison's run had just downright weird and unpleasant, offputting things happening almost relentlessly. Whedon's run is much more action-y and adventurous.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The other X-team books are in this weird transitional point too, with Wolverine dying and all (I just finally dropped the two Jean Grey school titles because they felt like they were treading water). And given that most of them just got new teams, we probably won't see a lot of changes or new team books until around a year from now.

Also, I finished Whedon's run on Astonishing. I really liked the actual Breakworld story, but every other arc was really weak, mostly because they always ended without being totally resolved. The cure in the gifted storyline almost felt like a red herring, the way the arc ended and it was never brought up again. The Torn/Hellfire arc had a really ambiguous ending, and it felt like there may have been more story to it that Whedon didn't get to. The six-issue arcs didn't work very well for the two middle stories either, which felt needlessly decompressed. And like I was saying before, with the Wild Sentinels, Genosha, and Cassandra Nova, it really felt like Whedon revisited too many of the stories and concepts from the Morrison era.

That said, I'm glad to have read those runs after hearing them talked about for years.

Whedon's run was very much a sequel to Morrison's X-men, if you don't like what Morrison did you're not going to like his.

I don't agree with that at all. Ultimately I am not an enormous fan of either, but the tone between them was night and day. Morrison's run had just downright weird and unpleasant, offputting things happening almost relentlessly. Whedon's run is much more action-y and adventurous.

It wasn't the tone, it was how specific subjects from Morrison's run were pivotal in his too.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so I'm reading through the history of Illyana Rasputin on Marvel Unlimited... has anybody else read the Magik miniseries from 1983, about the seven years she spent in Limbo? holy cow, it's so brutal.

• Options
    anyhow, if anybody was not aware, the 2009-2012 New Mutants series was really good!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    anyhow, if anybody was not aware, the 2009-2012 New Mutants series was really good!
    Wait, is that the bad one, or was that Young X-Men?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Hm, never thought to check it out even though I liked what I read of it in the Exiled crossover.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait, is that the bad one, or was that Young X-Men?

Young X-Men was the bad one

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Anyone know how well X-Factor is selling? It's my favorite of the X-line at the moment.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    From the numbers I've seen (direct market only, sales of june), it's still a bit above what it was doing at the end of its previous incarnation. (23k vs. 20k) and it seems to be levelling out. PAD's series do seem to have a decently strong core readership and the previous X-Factor ran for a long long time because while sales were low, they were consistent.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I felt like Gillen's run was a spiritual successor to Whedon's run except for when it ran into the shitty AvX later on. But even then, the actual X-title was well written.

yeah, Gillen definitely seems to have an affinity for Whedon's run - S.W.O.R.D. was about as direct a sequel as you could get

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

@balefuego

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't agree with that at all

I love Whedon's X-Men and I largely dislike Morrison's run.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I like both runs, but there's definitely a much different tone to them

Morrison's run has a real unstable, almost angry energy to it, while Whedon's is much more fun and self-assured

• Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular

I was a little perplexed by Sunspot's skin bleaching cream habit though.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Astonishing takes a few elements of New X-Men, and uses them to tell actual X-Men stories while discarding most of the Morrison garbage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I am happy that that comment immediately made you think of me @Keith‌

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeeDarkly_XSeeDarkly_X Registered User regular
    so I'm reading through the history of Illyana Rasputin on Marvel Unlimited... has anybody else read the Magik miniseries from 1983, about the seven years she spent in Limbo? holy cow, it's so brutal.
    I collected it when it first came out. Still have it. You're not wrong.
    Anyone know how well X-Factor is selling? It's my favorite of the X-line at the moment.
    Mine too. Actually X-factor has been my favorite X-title ever since PAD first took over.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG and how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times a week. No Ads. Nothing to buy.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Mine too. Actually X-factor has been my favorite X-title ever since PAD first took over.

I just started it with the new series, but it's pretty refreshing and well plotted so far. It's also self contained and since it's using characters not in other X-books, it can actually do things with them.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Uncanny #25, thought it was the end of this arc but nope, it keeps going.

It basically reads like every other Xavier secret, which at this point shouldn't be such a problem for the X-Men to really get upset about.

And it really feels like it's going to veer into that Ultimate X-Men stand-alone issue Bendis wrote with Wolverine and the mutant kid.
    "I'll bequeath my stuff to you guys, but before that I'm sort of ordering you to either check in on this kid who is so powerful he deserves to die and make sure he's still aloof about everything, but oh if he isn't kill him for me k thx bye."

The Kitty/Kurt scene was nice, as was Dazzler/Beast, but the school people constantly talking about Scott killing Xavier is now bordering on the childish, especially when they acknowledge like Bobby did in this issue he wasn't in control.

Remember when Ultimate Xavier was sort of always in the grey area of what exactly he was using his powers for and that was a super scary thing? At this point he seems a lot cleaner than regular Xavier.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Uncanny #25, thought it was the end of this arc but nope, it keeps going.

It basically reads like every other Xavier secret, which at this point shouldn't be such a problem for the X-Men to really get upset about.

And it really feels like it's going to veer into that Ultimate X-Men stand-alone issue Bendis wrote with Wolverine and the mutant kid.
    "I'll bequeath my stuff to you guys, but before that I'm sort of ordering you to either check in on this kid who is so powerful he deserves to die and make sure he's still aloof about everything, but oh if he isn't kill him for me k thx bye."

The Kitty/Kurt scene was nice, as was Dazzler/Beast, but the school people constantly talking about Scott killing Xavier is now bordering on the childish, especially when they acknowledge like Bobby did in this issue he wasn't in control.

Remember when Ultimate Xavier was sort of always in the grey area of what exactly he was using his powers for and that was a super scary thing? At this point he seems a lot cleaner than regular Xavier.

Yeah, but Ultimate Xavier's greatest nemesis was
    xavier-stairs.jpg

while normal Xavier has had to deal with a lot worse. Still, I think Bendis dropped the ball on this one. I think that...
    it would have a stronger impact if the kid never found out Xavier was manipulating him, and if Xavier had just said "If my psychic blocks are down, you have to murder this guy." By having the kid know and ask for the blocks it just becomes a sad, tragic tale rather than Xavier committing some great sin.

On the plus side, Cyclops continues to eyebeam people who deserve it.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I clearly stopped reading Ultimate X-Men too soon.

Where is that from?

• Options
    Ultimatum. It was the least offensive of the pointless deaths in that mini series. You're really better off not reading it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I clearly stopped reading Ultimate X-Men too soon.

Where is that from?

From Brian K. Vaughan's run on the title. Sometime in the 40s I think.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So I am selling off a bunch of early X-Men comics and I really love the cover design for the first couple of years. They all play with the logo and background, making them each a really bright contrasting color, and it winds up making it look really neat when they're all lined up. Also the lettering is just really nice and distinct. It looks exactly like the old X-Men logo and nothing else.

Although they also all have angel awkwardly flying above the logo looking like he's saying "hey guys in the box wait up I'm still at the logo guys" which is pretty silly looking.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Ultimatum. It was the least offensive of the pointless deaths in that mini series. You're really better off not reading it.
    What?

That is from way before Ultimatum and that's not even how Charles died!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man, I'm kind of baffled by the stuff coming out of the Last Will of Xavier story arc that I'm seeing.
    Bendis seems to have pulled a Dark Secret out of his butt that's much less messed up than a lot of other stuff Xavier's pulled over the years (Deadly Genesis, the Danger situation, etc.), and suddenly everyone's shocked and appalled and Cylcops is calling him a "hypocrite" like he actually still thought Xavier was a pillar of morality for some reason.

• Options
    Yeaaaah The Last Will of Chuck seems like a big ole mess

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I swear, the worst part is the Cyclops apologists who take absolutely everything as yet more evidence that everyone in the Marvel Universe besides Cyclops is a horrible asshole because they haven't forgiven him for killing Xavier yet

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    People get taken over and do crazy shit all the time in comics. This is oddly one of the few times were everyone continues to be upset with the person, even after knowing exactly what happened.

Spider-Man 2099 took about 10 seconds to completely forgive Peter, for instance.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I maintain that there are perfectly good reasons to be upset with Cyclops despite the Phoenix possession. I don't think his actions between then and now have been particularly conducive towards getting people to forgive him. However, I do think that other characters' attitudes towards him (particularly in Bendis' books) have been a tad hyperbolic.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Cyclops rules okay

• Options
    I maintain that there are perfectly good reasons to be upset with Cyclops despite the Phoenix possession. I don't think his actions between then and now have been particularly conducive towards getting people to forgive him. However, I do think that other characters' attitudes towards him (particularly in Bendis' books) have been a tad hyperbolic.

I would be perfectly fine with someone being totally upset with Cyclops as long as they were equally, or preferably, even more upset with Beast.

• Options
    I'm really not sure what you could possibly think Beast has done that surpasses what Cyclops has done. Regardless, the next story arc after The Last Will of Xavier is apparently going to be "The Trial of Hank McCoy", so he'll be getting his comeuppance soon enough.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm really not sure what you could possibly think Beast has done that surpasses what Cyclops has done. Regardless, the next story arc after The Last Will of Xavier is apparently going to be "The Trial of Hank McCoy", so he'll be getting his comeuppance soon enough.

How about "be complicent in the destruction of planets" for starters?
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    What?

That is from way before Ultimatum and that's not even how Charles died!

Really? I thought it was part of the Jeph Loeb tries to destroy the Ultimate Universe run. Man, my memory is like swiss cheese and nothing I say should be trusted, including what I wrote above.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular

Let's see:
    a. his insane activities with the Illuminati (not the destruction of other worlds, but rather his unwillingness to acknowledge what he's doing, etc.)
    b. torturing the past X-Men by bringing them to the future with no clear goal and no plan on how to get them back
    c. risking the entire universe unraveling by doing (b) (not to mention ACTUALLY breaking time in doing so)

Add in the fact that everything Scott did wrong was under the influence of a cosmic being so powerful that it drives almost everyone insane, while Beast was just being a jerk, and it adds up to Beast being a way worse person than Scott.

Not to mention Beast's self-loathing (e.g. repeated attempts at "curing" himself, his illicit experiments in the X-Mansion, etc.).

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    In fairness not many know about point A, till at least now.

The other points are valid though.

• Options

Let's see:
    a. his insane activities with the Illuminati (not the destruction of other worlds, but rather his unwillingness to acknowledge what he's doing, etc.)
    b. torturing the past X-Men by bringing them to the future with no clear goal and no plan on how to get them back
    c. risking the entire universe unraveling by doing (b) (not to mention ACTUALLY breaking time in doing so)

Add in the fact that everything Scott did wrong was under the influence of a cosmic being so powerful that it drives almost everyone insane, while Beast was just being a jerk, and it adds up to Beast being a way worse person than Scott.

Not to mention Beast's self-loathing (e.g. repeated attempts at "curing" himself, his illicit experiments in the X-Mansion, etc.).

Too add to these three reasons.

Right or wrong, Scott actually believes in his own cause. He was fully 100% willing to stay in Jail until he saw, in his stance, that no one else was going to stand up and fight for the new mutants coming into the world. Scott is a bastion of self-loathing and regrets that has tied himself to a cause for his own personal redemption. Nothing Scott has been doing is selfishly motivated, it's always for the Mutant Race.

Hank on the other hand is a compulsive liar and manipulator and does everything for his own personal benefit. He frankly made up nearly everything he told the O5 X-Men to use them as pawns against Scott, which backfired on him fantastically. He's had a burning hatred against Scott since Dark Reign, which has disturbed any rational thought when dealing with Scott since then.

Less recent activities: He also tried to manipulate Hope.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    One thing to remember about Cyclops was that he had pretty much alienated most of the X-Men prior to becoming the Phoenix. The entire run from the end of House of M ("No more mutants.") to the Avengers V. X-Men was about the fraying of the X-Men over the increasingly questionable decisions made by Cyclops, especially over the use of a death squad that took care of threats against mutants. Even Wolverine thought he had gone too far.

In that light, the current status quo does make sense. The Phoenix and the death of Xavier was basically a confirmation to a lot of his allies that Cyclops had gone over the edge.

• Options
    One thing to remember about Cyclops was that he had pretty much alienated most of the X-Men prior to becoming the Phoenix. The entire run from the end of House of M ("No more mutants.") to the Avengers V. X-Men was about the fraying of the X-Men over the increasingly questionable decisions made by Cyclops, especially over the use of a death squad that took care of threats against mutants. Even Wolverine thought he had gone too far.

In that light, the current status quo does make sense. The Phoenix and the death of Xavier was basically a confirmation to a lot of his allies that Cyclops had gone over the edge.

Which is hilarious in retrospect, because after Cyclops bows to the other X-Men and shuts down X-Force, Wolverine immediately starts it back up behind Scott's back and starts leading people on murderous rampages against potential threats to mutants, including killing children who might be a threat 10 years down the road but are currently not. And when everyone at the JGS finds out about them, all of the X-Men (including Beast) just go "Oh, Wolverine" and shrug it off.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Merlin the TunaMerlin the Tuna Registered User regular
    Does that mean that they threw out Scott as their moral compass, and the next-most upstanding person they had on hand was... Deadpool? I remember him being the only one really upset at the prospect of X-Force killing Evan.

Yikes, guys.