As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this your [chat]?

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Podly's Super Quick Serialism Intro

It's like mathematical mapping for music nerds!

edit* Ok, it's uploaded as a PDF now. It's safe.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Roberts may jump on with the 5 majority to try to gain some control over the opinion

I read the transcripts of the arguments, as usual Scalia was mostly concerned with interjecting jokes than getting answers, since he's already made up his mind

also jesus the first day of argument about the anti injunction act was mind blowingly boring
    Has Thomas spoken yet?
    He rarely speaks or has questions about any case, let alone landmark ones. He is easily the "least scholarly" (this is code for "dumbest") justice the court has seen in almost 100 years.

My hatred for him alone could fill a beautiful valley situated beneath a stylish multi-million dollar home.
    He has never spoken in oral arguments, and I think he's underrated because of that.
    Give some examples of his writings that you think are underrated.

I can think of one case where his opinion mattered, and that's Virginia v. Black, probably not a case you agree with him on.
    @spool32 Still waiting.
    @Thanatos it'll be a bit, I'm going to need to go dig up a case or two. I don't actually know Virginia vs. Black off the top of my head! What I meant, though, was that people tend to judge someone unfavorably if they don't articulate a position out loud, and that leads people to view Thomas in a less favorable light than they would if he spoke his mind. It's not uncommon for people to assume someone is ignorant because he doesn't speak up. I've listened to Thomas speak and do Q&A and he didn't strike me as ignorant or unscholarly at all.
    He doesn't understand why having a wife who is a right-wing nutjob lobbyist would cause people to think that maybe he couldn't be as objective as he's expected to be.

So, that strikes me as staggeringly fucking ignorant.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    One provision in the Senate transportation bill:
    $5 billion-dollar award for the company that designs the first reasonably priced mass-producible automobile that gets 100 miles per gallon or its non-fossil-fuel equivalent.
    :^:

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    edit* SORRY THIS IS A DIRECT DL I'LL FIX IT

nice, I've read about it before but this is more straightforward while also managing to be a little more broad than what I read.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i was walking around sunday (i think it was sunday) and i was bored so i stopped in a music store. i picked up a guitar for the first time in about 18 months (after selling a guitar i'd owned for 10 years). i only played for a few minutes, but i walked away with super sore fingertips. callouses just totally erase themselves. it was unbelievable how much it hurt. i haven't experienced this unique fingertip soreness in... i dunno, 20 years? when i started learning.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    $5 billion-dollar award for the company that designs the first reasonably priced mass-producible automobile that gets 100 miles per gallon or its non-fossil-fuel equivalent.

America, Fuck Yeah.

We need more of this sentiment, directed in the proper directions.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

The weird part is that I know exactly what you are talking about but I immediately replaced everything with functions I knew from signal processing. :P

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

You mean the Nissan Leaf?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Listening to this NPR special coverage of the ACA argument, and I am smiling now. I was worried when I left the office, but this is making me happy.

They do not like the government's chances right now.
    I just... I don't get how someone can be such a fucking misanthrope.

Like, really, how can you hate people that much?

I really don't have anything to say about this that I haven't already said. You're dedicated to hatred regardless of the positions I've taken, so I really don't know where to go from here.

don't get happy too soon duder, Kennedy loves being unpredictable

Kennedy also loves himself. I don't put it beyond him to uphold the mandate because he wants to be the justice responsible for dragging the U.S. into the future.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

My hat is off to Boulez.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    you forgot to mention its all shit though podly

why did you miss that out

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Roberts may jump on with the 5 majority to try to gain some control over the opinion

I read the transcripts of the arguments, as usual Scalia was mostly concerned with interjecting jokes than getting answers, since he's already made up his mind

also jesus the first day of argument about the anti injunction act was mind blowingly boring
    Has Thomas spoken yet?

He rarely speaks or has questions about any case, let alone landmark ones. He is easily the "least scholarly" (this is code for "dumbest") justice the court has seen in almost 100 years.

My hatred for him alone could fill a beautiful valley situated beneath a stylish multi-million dollar home.

He has never spoken in oral arguments, and I think he's underrated because of that.

<snicker> Sure, that's the reason he's underrated.

edit: Agree with SiG. Underrated isn't the term I would use.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    doesn't the leaf only get 100 miles or so on a charge? that seems unbelievably terrible. filling up 30 times to drive from ny to la?

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    spool32 wrote:
    Listening to this NPR special coverage of the ACA argument, and I am smiling now. I was worried when I left the office, but this is making me happy.

I really don't have anything to say about this that I haven't already said. You're dedicated to hatred regardless of the positions I've taken, so I really don't know where to go from here.

Kennedy also loves himself. I don't put it beyond him to uphold the mandate because he wants to be the justice responsible for dragging the U.S. into the future.

I think he also has a dislike of Scalia. But I agree, it would be a huge ego boost to support the mandate and be the "swing" vote.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

You mean the Nissan Leaf?

Those things are hella expensive!

15-20k new is the highest I'd call reasonable.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    tee hee!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    We're not dragging towards the future, we're slouching towards bedlam. Let's not get that confused for a minute.

• Options
    side note: signal processing was a very very hard class and made me almost cry a couple times because matlab

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    doesn't the leaf only get 100 miles or so on a charge? that seems unbelievably terrible. filling up 30 times to drive from ny to la?

It is designed for normal daily commutes. How many people daily drive more than 100 miles? I mean the volt only gets 35 miles on its batteries before it swaps over to gas.

Really it breaks down to the limitations battery tech at the moment. I still think hydrogen cells would be a good way to go. Not sure how you would set it up though. Probably more tech/science savy people than me can work it out.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    spool32 wrote:

I think he also has a dislike of Scalia. But I agree, it would be a huge ego boost to support the mandate and be the "swing" vote.

I don't believe people would consider him a swing vote anymore if he did. They would begin to say we have a 5-4 liberal court.

The shit is just that serious among conservatives, even moderate ones. This ruling is going to shift the political ground all over the place.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    It's 6:30 already? Lousy day offs.

• Options
    spool32 wrote:

I don't believe people would consider him a swing vote anymore if he did. They would begin to say we have a 5-4 liberal court.

The shit is just that serious among conservatives, even moderate ones. This ruling is going to shift the political ground all over the place.

No he still has voted on some of the most sweeping cases with the conservatives. Personally I think the health law will have less a ground breaking decision than Citizens United was. Which has remapped our entire electoral process and not in a way that helps increase the power of the individual voter.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    People will really switch to energy efficient cars when two things happen. You can go on a reasonable roadtrip distance in a day (~450 miles) and you can drive typical interstate speeds (70mph)

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    We're not dragging towards the future, we're slouching towards bedlam. Let's not get that confused for a minute.

8->

• Options

It is designed for normal daily commutes. How many people daily drive more than 100 miles? I mean the volt only gets 35 miles on its batteries before it swaps over to gas.

Really it breaks down to the limitations battery tech at the moment. I still think hydrogen cells would be a good way to go. Not sure how you would set it up though. Probably more tech/science savy people than me can work it out.

i mean, a lot of people live >50 miles from work. is it feasible to charge in a general parking lot?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:

Kennedy's legacy as a swing vote is already cemented, I think

• Options
    People will really switch to energy efficient cars when two things happen. You can go on a reasonable roadtrip distance in a day (~450 miles) and you can drive typical interstate speeds (70mph)

do the leaf and volt not go that fast?

prius does

• Options

8->

rick santorum getting an ounce of consideration for even half a second proves me right, sorry bro

• Options

other problem is environmental badness from the process of making the batteries...or have we figured that out yet

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I would totally do that though. I would audit the shit outta people. oh, thanatos making bad posts again? audit time

• Options

i mean, a lot of people live >50 miles from work. is it feasible to charge in a general parking lot?

do those people all drive or do they take public trans? Where's that stat from?

• Options
    side note: signal processing was a very very hard class and made me almost cry a couple times because matlab

Yeah, if I go back to school, it will DEFINITELY not be for philosophy, and math and music engineering are something I would definitely consider

but

you know

I value my non-suicidal states.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

do the leaf and volt not go that fast?

prius does

I guess I used the wrong word. I had fully electric cars in mind when I made that statement. I shoulda just said "electric"

• Options

do those people all drive or do they take public trans? Where's that stat from?

i don't mean it statistically, like a majority of the population or anything. i'm just saying it might not be attractive to people with long commutes, and 50+ miles each way definitely isn't unheard of

• Options

I think it would if the electric vehicle became the standard instead of the gasoline engine. I mean we are going to be dragged there kicking and screaming anyway. But it would be an infrastructure investment. Also there is research in quick charge technology that would charge the batteries in much less time.

The electric vehicle is still a novelty, in 10 years it will probably be less so just due to the reduction in the amount of oil world wide which will also coincide with an increase in demand especially among developing nations.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I think the Leaf's top speed is adequate but I'm not sure of its acceleration.

Unless you can charge the battery in five minutes I think hydrogen is going to be the way to go.

• Options
    You would do fine, Pods.

• Options
    I still rather have hydrogen cells than electric due to how most of the US electricity is produced. But I won't throw it under the bus quiet yet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

8->

rick santorum getting an ounce of consideration for even half a second proves me right, sorry bro

25% of America be crazy. This is hardly new.

• Options
    If there was a hybrid that cost $13,000 I would have bought one last year.

This discussion has been closed.