As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I thought those sites were already debunked as fake.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The first dot in that second link is and 8 and a 5 blurred together, just FYI.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I thought those sites were already debunked as fake.

Figures.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    We could always call carlos and find out.

edit: if it's an ARG, 5$ says glados answers, or its a recruitment message for testing from whats his face.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    playstationlifestyle.net/2012/04/21/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-name-is-real-site-owned-by-sony/
    looks like that sony fighting game in the style of SSB is actually happening, probably gonna get announced at E3

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    It's been a while since Valve released any major game, which makes me assume they're working on their next engine. Maybe with a planned staggered release for their flagships (So that once it's done, they can release HL3, L4D3, and possible Portal 3 or TF3 within a year or so).
    Well, what's your definition of a "major game?"

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I want Valve to announce a new IP so bad. I don't give a shit what it is. It can be a fantasy football game for all I care, as long as it has a 3 in the title. That would make me laugh until I died.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I would certainly like Valve to be working on a new engine for their titles. Source can still produce good-looking graphics, but the size of maps between loading screens is the enormous flaw of the aging engine.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    At this point if the "three" thing turns out not to be HL2: ep 3 or a full-blown HL3, there will probably be riots in the streets.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Valve feels incredibly bold and announces Starcraft 3.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I still think it's Portal 3.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    I still think it's Portal 3.

Nah, it's most likely Left 4 Dead 3.
    Anyone who's still seriously following that game knows that they haven't been keeping up with their DLC schedule. Most fans of the series just want a full fledged sequel at this point.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm getting too old for this shit.

"We're announcing a title with the number 3 in it. Tee hee hee." How about you just announce the dame game right now and stop with the coy bullshit routine? There have been precious few types of these speculative "megaton" announcements that have ever felt worth it to me. More often than not most everybody is left standing going "Wait, that was it?", because the actual news never lives up to the hype.

Just give me the news and let me get excited from that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Valve feels incredibly bold and announces Starcraft 3.

They'll make a new MMO and call it Wow2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

"We're announcing a title with the number 3 in it. Tee hee hee." How about you just announce the dame game right now and stop with the coy bullshit routine? There have been precious few types of these speculative "megaton" announcements that have ever felt worth it to me. More often than not most everybody is left standing going "Wait, that was it?", because the actual news never lives up to the hype.

I'm gonna second that with vehemence. Teaser crap is just nonsense in this day and age.

On the upside, Valve takes so long to get anything done that I know better than to get excited about pretty much every announcement of theirs. I'm not saying it's bad to take time developing something, but it's pretty futile to get into a tizzy over Valve announcements.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    They'll announce the Orang3 Box

Left 4 Dead 3
    Portal 3
    Half-Life 3

good god that would be awesome if it happened.

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    New Super Mario Bros. 3

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Even Valve isn't corny enough to go with "Black Aperture"--definitely fanboy dreams. Especially given their current promotion styles.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I was all excited with the possibility of Lost Vikings 3

Then I remembered that I always confuse Valve and Blizzard

• Options
    MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    With all the Valve talk I'm surprised no one is talking about this http://kotaku.com/5903955/read-valves-employee-company-handbook-its-amazing
    Unless you already have and I missed it.

Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I fucking hate this trend of announcing announcements. It's the most idiotic thing that has ever happened and usually means I deliberately ignore whatever the announcement actually is (just to spite them). You have something to announce? JUST ANNOUNCE IT.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Left 4 Dead 3
    Portal 3
    Half-Life 3

Yeah.. that's totally it...

VGcatsCry.jpg

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Yep.

Whenever I see some news item that invokes the phrase 'Megaton' I know that it's just some news. I'm not sure the Megaton thing has ever preceded anything major, it always ends up being hung on what turns out to be a financial report or an arbitrary batch of news.

The Megaton is like the Sasquatch. I have the same reaction to anyone that reports either.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

Left 4 Dead 3
    Portal 3
    Half-Life 3

Team Fortress 3

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Valve has taken ownership of Thi3f.

EDIT: I know, not a new game. That's the joke.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Left 4 Dead 3
    Portal 3
    Half-Life 3

Team Fortress 3

Why it would be that when their relatively recent and successful move to TF2 F2P has generated so much new revenue for the now five something year old game? Plus constant mod support (like Steam Workshop) and community events and even e-sports... it seems like it's possible, but less likely then HL3. Everyone wants a continuation of Valve's first major flagship, and they already like TF2 as it is. There's an argument to be made for a TF3 based around the new business model and improvements in graphics, but it just seems less important.

As a scale, from most important and likely to least:

Half Life 3 (see above)
    Team Fortress 3 (see above)
    Left 4 Dead 3 (Maybe but even more unlikely because, while it's a great game, it isn't exactly screaming give me a sequel now)
    Portal 3 (They just did Portal 2, and should leave that alone for now)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Just wait for the real news and let the people who enjoy te preamble have their fun.

EDIT: I mean, people seem to apply too much weight to the "announcement of an an announcement." rather than taking them at a relative value.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular

Yep.

Whenever I see some news item that invokes the phrase 'Megaton' I know that it's just some news. I'm not sure the Megaton thing has ever preceded anything major, it always ends up being hung on what turns out to be a financial report or an arbitrary batch of news.

The Megaton is like the Sasquatch. I have the same reaction to anyone that reports either.

But what if there were reports of a Megaton announcement preceding the public unveiling of a game called Megaton?

What then?

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I would certainly like Valve to be working on a new engine for their titles. Source can still produce good-looking graphics, but the size of maps between loading screens is the enormous flaw of the aging engine.

I blame console ram. The areas in hl2 weren't really any smaller than and modern shooter's

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Well, they got Crysis and it's huge areas running on 360 and PS3.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I blame console ram. The areas in hl2 weren't really any smaller than and modern shooter's

Did you play Portal 2? Loading screens every couple of minutes at times.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Everyone wants a continuation of Valve's first major flagship
    We do? I thought the Half-Life series was pretty terrible and really don't care about another one. In my mind, HL2E3 is like Duke Nukem Forever (Well, before it came out).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Did you play Portal 2? Loading screens every couple of minutes at times.

Yes, on the ps3 even, because of the pan outage. Progression speed for puzzles which have variable solution times can't be compared to shooting, which can be much more predictably timed and scripted

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The Source engine was easily handled by the 360 back when its tech was considered pretty good; still doesn't change the fact that Source engine is pretty heftily outdated at this point. Even on new systems, it requires constant loading. Console RAM is definitely not the issue, especially since following engines support enormous maps without the Source engine's constant loading.

Time for an update, if not a complete replacement.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    We do? I thought the Half-Life series was pretty terrible and really don't care about another one. In my mind, HL2E3 is like Duke Nukem Forever (Well, before it came out).

I like you

• Options

I like you

Always fun when people think "I didn't like it" somehow equates to "it was objectively bad".

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular

I like you

Always fun when people think "I didn't like it" somehow equates to "it was objectively bad".
    I'm just saying, not everyone cares about or even wants more Half-Life :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Loading is fine if it only takes a second or two :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I like you

I'm just saying, not everyone cares about or even wants more Half-Life :P

Just the majority.

This discussion has been closed.