As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hero Academy] Now on Steam with the TF2 Team! (PA League now actually works!)

• Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    So I really like this game, but after playing many matches I'm confused how it is not "He who turtles, wins". I'm sure I'm wrong, so what am I not seeing?

• Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    I normally don't count the units played because of the tedium but when the level of play is elevated (or if it's a turney) you have to, otherwise you are at a disadvantage. It's not particularly difficult to do, you open a note for each match and write down what's been played.

I completely agree that a replay would be awesome. It would be good for actually going back and seeing where the hell it all went so wrong in some matches :) It would also take care of the item counting quite nicely.
    Could take it one step further and allow a game to be restarted from a point back few turns, with consent of the other player. Don't you ever wish that you could find out how the match would have ran if you made different critical decision?

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    hamdingers wrote: »
    So I really like this game, but after playing many matches I'm confused how it is not "He who turtles, wins". I'm sure I'm wrong, so what am I not seeing?

Attacking the crystals is a simple answer to turtling.

steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    hamdingers wrote: »

Turtling is countered by going for crystals, by going heavy on your AoE options, being aggressive before they can set up their turtled setup, assassinating healers, strategic sacrifices to pick apart the turtled defense, doing "jab" attacks that force healers to move forward into more vulnerable positions, unit charge blitzes that get damagers into the enemy back field faster than they can kill them...

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Updated!
    Petasus wrote: »
    Thanks for the friendly welcome Jacoby -

so on with the challenging

@Jacoby, I !challenge @;DesertChicken and @;Golf153

One thing to watch out for is correctly using at-mentions here. The semicolon means @DesertChicken and @Golf153 haven't been mentioned. It only showed up in the instructions because of a bug with the code tag. I've edited the instructions to make them clearer.

Also, don't forget to go ahead and start the games, @Petasus. Make sure you only take 3 actions on your first turn (to compensate for first turn advantage).

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    @MadCaddy I think I'm playing you by doing a random game.
    Also, dwarves stupid OP. totally bought them.

LOl, I challenged you actually because I think you posted shortly after I did to look to play more PA people since I knew they'd be good game.. I've finally started to get an idea about how to play this game, so

[/lime !join] the league @Jacoby.

Also, PS sending you a PM just in case, but thanks for looking in since I didn't it do it proper like.. I'm so bad about getting on the boards, and so much better at chatting in game or whatever.. I'll get more into the habit of posting on here again soon. :)

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Since I just signed up and have never played, I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm open to any challenges, but I'm not going to challenge anyone until I've played a few games and understand the mechanics and ranking a little better, so you guys come at me bro!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Is there like a guide anywhere to the rules of los? I just threw a match I was winning because apparenty healing follows different los rules than attacking? This kind of stuff would be nice to know.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Is there like a guide anywhere to the rules of los? I just threw a match I was winning because apparenty healing follows different los rules than attacking? This kind of stuff would be nice to know.

I don't know of one, though sifting through the sites in the OP would probably help with understanding the exact specs of units and their abilities.

Anyway, what happened in your match? The only difference is that heal LOS can't be blocked by an opponent, I believe.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I don't know of one, though sifting through the sites in the OP would probably help with understanding the exact specs of units and their abilities.

Anyway, what happened in your match? The only difference is that heal LOS can't be blocked by an opponent, I believe.

I chose not to stomp a rune sworded tribe super unit that was fully surrounded by my own units and a crystal because I figured healing and attacking LOS worked the same and I didn't see the need to waste the AP or give the Tribe the damage bonus. So said sworded super unit got shaman rezzed in the middle of my army and cost me a rune sworded wizard and ninja.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Not terribly interested in league play, but available for pickup games any ol' time. Hero Academy name is akpak :)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I chose not to stomp a rune sworded tribe super unit that was fully surrounded by my own units and a crystal because I figured healing and attacking LOS worked the same and I didn't see the need to waste the AP or give the Tribe the damage bonus. So said sworded super unit got shaman rezzed in the middle of my army and cost me a rune sworded wizard and ninja.

ooh... gross

Definitely the hard way to find that out.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

ooh... gross

Definitely the hard way to find that out.

It will not be a lesson soon forgotten, at the very least! :)

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    For LOS rules, all distance attacks/spells cannot pass through a target, except for the Dwarven Grenadier and all healing spells. Fortunately, I found out by rezzing a fallen soldier of my own. What I did get screwed on is discovering that no unit is a wall and you can easily walk past them. Suffice it to say, that retreated Archer of mine didn't make it. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Updated! Welcome to the League, @MadCaddy!

• Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    man I've been getting ass stomped by some pub named 'ilikeweiner69'

3 games in a row he's (she is?) decimating my crystals. Can't seem to slow him down. Wish I could rewind the games to study the technique.

Also I welcome any fresh challenges - I can handle a lot more than 5 games at a time.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Bug fix and performance patch out today, but the devs also threw out this little bone to people curious about what's happening with the next team:
    Yes, we are actively working on the next team for Hero Academy. It's beyond the concept phase and we're actually playtesting the mechanics and refining them daily. This one's a bit tougher because it is our most unique team to date. Even more so than the Tribe. Beyond that, there's not much I can say at the moment. The wait for this team will be a bit longer than you've had previously, but we think that it will definitely be worth it.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    Bug & performance fixes, yay. I was definitely seeing the 'wraith visual scaling'. Also often when I enter a match (on iPhone, iPad runs much smoother) - I see the bodies individual rag doll components spread out all over the place. Amusing yes, classy no.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I'd like to !join the League, @Jacoby! My Hero Academy name is Callow.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Sup Callow! Lots of SC2 crossover here. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Ratings update!
    League Standings (Last Update: May 12)
    1. @Theodore Floosevelt (eelMeetch) - 1549
    2. @Brew (noguru) - 1541
    3. @Sploozoo (grillaface) - 1508
    4. @DesertChicken (DesertChicken) - 1507
    5. @wonderpug (wonderpug) - 1502
    6. @initiatefailure (InitiateFailure) - 1500
    7. @kime (kime) - 1500
    8. @corin7 (corin7) - 1493
    9. @schmads (FallenKwisatz) - 1493
    10. @Golf153 (Golf153) - 1485
    11. @Jacoby (ROldford) - 1485
    12. @MNC Dover - 1472

Also, welcome to the League, @hlprmnky!

Jacoby on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Just so everyone I'm playing knows, finals are over and I may actually have the attention span to go ish our games now. Sorry about making you think my car was sinking into an icey lake

• Options
    !Result for @Jacoby: @Sploozoo defeated @ToddJewell.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Sup Callow! Lots of SC2 crossover here. :D

Best gamers, best games. QED. :D

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Updated with Sploozoo vs. ToddJewell report!

• Options
    !Result for @Jacoby: @Sploozoo defeated @RockMonkey.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    !Result for @Jacoby: @Theodore Floosevelt defeated @wonderpug.

Great match! I really really wish they would implement some way to save replays or upload them to youtube or something, because I felt like there were quite a lot of key moves in this match by both Floosevelt and me.

We were on the map with just one crystal each, both Dark Elves.

Floosevelt took a very aggressive opening stance that got me on defensive footing right off the bat. Super early on I made a big blunder. I placed my fully upgraded Necro on my attack boost square, thinking to ward off the incoming invasion, but he was close enough to get phantomized by Floosevelt's own upgraded Necro, with an added scroll. Somehow I had it in my mind that a scroll would only give Floose a knockout, and I had a priestess ready to rez without having to even take a step. Big oops, and with Floose having so many units aggressively deployed, I thought it was the beginning of a very very early Floose win.

But I kept at it, deploying and upgrading with a giant 5-tile "no fly zone" radius being kept barren around his @#$% Necro. Wish I took a screenshot of it. Finally I was able to do a really fancy Impaler pull & kill on one of his upgraded units, with a stomp from a throwaway monk to protect my Impaler from counterattack. If it was the prepatch rules, where the Impaler doesn't yank on a knockout, I couldn't have done it. Floose didn't see that one coming, and I finally felt like I had regained some footing after the Necro blunder.

From here we had a very tactical sparring dance, primarily with upgraded monks. I kept on making a series of calculated sacrifices (including some really painful ones) to try and chip away at his dual priestess setup, since IIRC he was low on soulstones. I was successful, but losing on both the deployed unit count and the in-hand unit count. All I had left to do, though, was take out his weapon + helmet upgraded monk in order to gain a very dominant position on the field, but he was doing a great job keeping that damn monk either out of reach or protected on a defense tile.

At this point, he maneuvered into holding both assault boost squares, with an Impaler on the attack boost square in range of my crystal. Terrifying. Here's my fatal last mistake. I had a scroll in hand I was saving for the first moment Floose left his monk vulnerable. Using it, I had a Necro knock out his Impaler with one AP to spare. I could either phantomize her with the last AP, or use my monk to knock out a unit he had on an assault boost tile. I chose the latter, because if he had no soul harvest handy it would -really- swing the momentum my way. He had a soul harvest handy. Double rez, 1000hp crystal damage a hit, game over.

Another mid-game blunder I think I made was to continue unit hunting instead of starting my own crystal offense at a point where my upgraded monk was deep in Floose's territory. There was one turn in particular where I really felt like I had a good opportunity to switch, but I didn't. It still would've been really close, but I think that was my best chance for a win.

Great playing, Floosevelt!

wonderpug on
  • Options
    I had a game end with my victory by using a bait-and-switch against a Dwarves player. He was all turtled up around his ~1700hp crystal and had a serious range/unit/item advantage on me. My last viable units were an attack upgraded Archer, 2 weakened Knights, 2 Clerics, and a Ninja. I realized my only chance to win was to take out his crystal. I set up and elaborate positioning turn where, on my next turn, I could move my Archer to the crystal and finish it off. In order to make him fall for the trap, I moved my Ninja into attack range of his Grenadier.

He took the bait, KOing my Ninja. He had played the game almost perfectly to that point. Just goes to show that it doesn't hurt to look at the final board situation one extra time before hitting the "submit move" button.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Cmdr_KeenCmdr_Keen Registered User new member
    !Result for @Jacoby: @Cmdr_Keen defeated @Brew!

Quite the game! Played on the teleporter map, with Brew's Coucil vs. my own Dark Elves. We each took a pretty standard start, with a range 3 unit on the teleporter and a tank on the Crystal Assault tile. However, Brew had a fully upgraded archer instead of my own paltry basic necromancer! With no runemetal in sight, I knew this would end poorly (for me!). So, I began a campaign of distraction.

I proceeded to hurl units into the meat grinder, hoping to cycle my hand, find a weapon, possibly use up some of Brew's more precious resources, and mount a comeback at the last second. It was imperative that he did not get ahead on crystal damage, and I sacrificed nearly everyone to this end. (This sounds much more clever knowing that I ended up victorious.)

In reality, Brew basically crushed my entire team with the archer. Fortunately, in his bloodlust, he made a mistake, and I was able to catch his ninja out of position.

With things looking bleak, I got my first sword with the 6th to last item out of my deck. Putting it on the void monk who had been waiting all game, I was finally in business.

Brew scrolled and inferno'd him immediately, but I managed to remove the fully upgraded archer for my trouble.

Finally, my last three items from the deck were sword, sword, wraith. I managed to feed the wraith one of my own units, and the final showdown began. A fully upgraded, level 2/4 wraith, a fully upgraded void monk, and a single priestess, vs. a small army. 3 knights, 2 healers, 2 archers (1 sworded), and a wizard.

With some guerilla tactics, I managed to pick at the edges of this army until I killed the wizard. The army continued its inexorable advance. Inspired by king leonidas, and seeing an opportunity, my void monk struck at the whole mass, managing to do quite a bit of damage, in exchange for his life. Luck smiled on me, for Brew forgot I had a single Soul Harvest remaining, and did not stomp the monk. He came back with a vengeance, taking out both healers and the runemetal archer. After some wraith pong between his knights, one of the toughest games I have ever played was over. GG Brew!

Sorry for the novel, but I have enjoyed reading some of the others :)

• Options
    Updated!

Those are great game reports. I'd love to do one, but I can never remember what happened. Might have to take screenshots, if I can remember.

• Options
    PetasusPetasus Registered User regular
    !Result for @Jacoby: @Golf153 defeated @Petasus

Good first game - Golf's Tribe took out my crystal while I spent too much time trying to build up the DE to take out his shamen

So, I'll try again

@Jacoby, I !challenge @sploozoo and @corin7!

• Options
    Two results!

!Result for @Jacoby: @Theodore Floosevelt defeated @MNC Dover.

Versus Dover:
    Dover and I squared off on the Tribe's court, his tribe versus my council. I opened hard with a single runemetaled Archer backed up by a Cleric, thinking I was hot shit. Said archer was summarily exploded by Dover's Witch, IIRC using typhoon and meat and such. Clearly, Dover's shit was hotter. I did some ninja poofing shenanigans, but he started pulling ahead with a pretty big positioning advantage. He organized a tight squad of witches around a fully upgraded chieftain that moved up toward the top of the map, threatening both my crystals and units pretty hard.

At this point, I was basically throwing knights and healers into a defense group to try and keep his units away from my ninja and crystals, hoping I would be able to:

A) get an archer into a position to take out his squad without sacrificing my whole squad, and
    B) get him to use most of his meat and typhoons.

I did a pretty good job of keeping them at bay, I think, but Dover was seriously just destroying my guys, using typhoons plus explosions pretty well. He used the Chieftain's charge for some pretty nice hit-and-run tactics that I hadn't even thought of trying before.

Eventually, though, I managed to get an Archer into position for what I though would be an attack on his chieftain, when I realized how much damage I could do to his small crystals in one turn. One of his typhoons had put a cleric of mine on an assault tile, so I was able to take one of his crystals in four shots from my upgraded archer. He killed the archer next turn, but at this point I threw my whole team into "crystal fucker™" mode. Being able to fuel them with potions helped keep them alive long enough to do damage, and an assault tile plus an inferno = caraaaaazy damage on that map. The crystals dropped pretty quickly.

It was a good game, and an interesting map... I dunno how I feel about it yet. Have crystal rushes been especially successful for you guys on that one?

!Result for @Jacoby: @Brew defeated @Theodore Floosevelt.

Versus Brew:
    It was the offset two-crystal map, and Brew started by rushing my crystals like a madman, which gained him a huge advantage in that regard. I formed up a squad of orcs to try and control the middle, and did for a bit with some Shaman help, but two scolls, and inferno, and very persistent wizard decimated my units (and destroyed one crystal).

I took out the wizard and started a counter rush, trying to bring both crystals into execution range for a waiting warrior. I achieved moderate success, but it was pretty ragtag. I was able to stall Brew for a while with typhoons and Chieftain whirlwinding (to keep units out of range/off the assault tile), but I crumbled in the end. With all hope lost, I attempted a gesture of peace by starting a conga line on Brew's ninja. Brew somehow ignored my conga line (!!!) and finished my crystal in a fancy fashion.

And oh man, @wonderpug, a great game indeed! (And a great write-up.) That impaler pull was definitely a critical move for you, as it deflated my entire offense and sent the rest of the game into a much more evenly-matched tactics fest. I feel that both of us were really effectively forcing choices and sacrifices throughout it. It also made me happy that we both used the Wraith drop move, which I'd really been wanting to try (spawning it in on a dead unit in a vulnerable but threatening position to cover an otherwise aggressive attack).

My choice to go for the crystal at the end was key, since I'm fairly certain I never would've been able to bring down that uber monk you had created.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Two results!

!Result for @Jacoby: @Theodore Floosevelt defeated @MNC Dover.

Versus Dover:
    Dover and I squared off on the Tribe's court, his tribe versus my council. I opened hard with a single runemetaled Archer backed up by a Cleric, thinking I was hot shit. Said archer was summarily exploded by Dover's Witch, IIRC using typhoon and meat and such. Clearly, Dover's shit was hotter. I did some ninja poofing shenanigans, but he started pulling ahead with a pretty big positioning advantage. He organized a tight squad of witches around a fully upgraded chieftain that moved up toward the top of the map, threatening both my crystals and units pretty hard.

At this point, I was basically throwing knights and healers into a defense group to try and keep his units away from my ninja and crystals, hoping I would be able to:

A) get an archer into a position to take out his squad without sacrificing my whole squad, and
    B) get him to use most of his meat and typhoons.

I did a pretty good job of keeping them at bay, I think, but Dover was seriously just destroying my guys, using typhoons plus explosions pretty well. He used the Chieftain's charge for some pretty nice hit-and-run tactics that I hadn't even thought of trying before.

Eventually, though, I managed to get an Archer into position for what I though would be an attack on his chieftain, when I realized how much damage I could do to his small crystals in one turn. One of his typhoons had put a cleric of mine on an assault tile, so I was able to take one of his crystals in four shots from my upgraded archer. He killed the archer next turn, but at this point I threw my whole team into "crystal fucker™" mode. Being able to fuel them with potions helped keep them alive long enough to do damage, and an assault tile plus an inferno = caraaaaazy damage on that map. The crystals dropped pretty quickly.

It was a good game, and an interesting map... I dunno how I feel about it yet. Have crystal rushes been especially successful for you guys on that one?

That was a gg. Forgot to post the results because your PA name =/= your HA name. :p

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    !results @Jacoby
    Brew defeated @corin7 - GG sir!
    Brew had his ass handed to him by @wonderpug
    I tried a crystal offense with tribe but wonderpug set me straight. I may have just not been reckless enough :)

@Theodore Floosevelt and @Cmdr_keen I salute you two for very fine games. I really don't know how you remember all this to actually do a write up. By the end of the match I don't really remember how I ended up how I did... That replay feature would be so awesome. Maybe even charge a taunt for it!

Now then, onto business at hand:
    !challenge @Cmdr_keen - I want a rematch
    !challenge @MNC Dover - first game was fun!
    !challenge @Petasus - welcome :)

Also, @intiatefailure welcome back to the land of the living! I thought I was going to have to invoke forefit on you. The game continues

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You already wumped me once with a Tribe crystal rush in one of our earlier matches, so I was at least slightly prepared. ;) I kept my sliver of a back crystal plugged as best I could for the better part of the match after your early smashy smash on it, expecting you to do a kamikaze warrior assassination the second I left it open. I actually really really thought you would be able to get my front crystal down to the assassination 25% mark, which is why I was prepping for a potential fort knox being built around the back. You still had a tidal wave late in the game, though, so little good that would've done me.

• Options
    If anyone's interested, the finals of a 64 person tournament are being "broadcast" with play by play pics and analysis. Very entertaining!

I'm rooting for the elves, of course, but man does council have a nasty opening setup as of move 6. Elves also seem incredibly vulnerable to some fireball action. If I were Rayje I would try to maneuver to send that impaler after the archer, with a soul harvest and potion in hand to be ready for a rescue from a non-stomp knockouts.

Trade-wise or point-wise or whatever, an archer with just a weapon upgrade is more or less equivalent to other units with full upgrades in my book, doubly so when you're the physical-damage vulnerable elves.

• Options
    Updated!

That looks like a great site. Adding it to the OP.

• Options
    My wife is horrible at keeping secrets, so I'm around 100% sure I've got an iPad coming to me in a few days as a gift from some relatives. I can't wait to see how this game looks on the big screen. :)

Oh, and thank you again for all your work, Jacoby. : ) You can just assume that there's a constant flow of thanks coming from us all.

I'm going to be sending out a good half dozen challenges when I get some time later in the day, but if any of you are particularly eager to add some new active games, just holler and I'll be sure to pick you. : )

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    If anyone's interested, the finals of a 64 person tournament are being "broadcast" with play by play pics and analysis. Very entertaining!

I'm rooting for the elves, of course, but man does council have a nasty opening setup as of move 6. Elves also seem incredibly vulnerable to some fireball action. If I were Rayje I would try to maneuver to send that impaler after the archer, with a soul harvest and potion in hand to be ready for a rescue from a non-stomp knockouts.

Trade-wise or point-wise or whatever, an archer with just a weapon upgrade is more or less equivalent to other units with full upgrades in my book, doubly so when you're the physical-damage vulnerable elves.

Optimally, I would rune a VM, scroll him and punch that knight in front of the archer twice. Unfortunately that doesn't get you a stomp of the archer. But if you can distract for a turn so you get your rune upgrade done ahead of time you would end up with a stomped archer and your VM on the opponents attack tile :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PetasusPetasus Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    My wife is horrible at keeping secrets, so I'm around 100% sure I've got an iPad coming to me in a few days as a gift from some relatives. I can't wait to see how this game looks on the big screen. :)

Oh, and thank you again for all your work, Jacoby. : ) You can just assume that there's a constant flow of thanks coming from us all.

I'm going to be sending out a good half dozen challenges when I get some time later in the day, but if any of you are particularly eager to add some new active games, just holler and I'll be sure to pick you. : )

Lucky you for the iPad, I have surreptitiously downloaded HA on my wife's pad and can confirm it looks great on the big screen (all the little details and facial expressions show up brilliantly), but I can rarely prise it out of her hands so my playing all happens on the small screen.:(

I'll be up for a challenge if you are offering- trying to get to five games without too bad a ranking!