As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I wish lancer blocking was more obvious. I find myself unsure if I'm blocking sometimes when things get really hot and heavy during bosses. I wish I glowed blue or something while in block stance.

You could turn on your ability indicators, but I bet that would get annoying in a hurry.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    You could turn on your ability indicators, but I bet that would get annoying in a hurry.

I had them on when I was playing priest... and exactly what you said, gets pretty annoying. I think it was the positioning though of where the graphic popped up.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I wish lancer blocking was more obvious. I find myself unsure if I'm blocking sometimes when things get really hot and heavy during bosses. I wish I glowed blue or something while in block stance.

I may have to try it anyway. Missing a block because I use deb or shield counter and I'm not entirely sure if I have block back up because holy crap boss spam is kinda boo. Oh well, I'll see how bad it gets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I don't want to work today. I want to play Tera.

But if I don't work, then I can't afford apartment or computer or electricity or subscription to play Tera anyway.

So it's either work ... Or give blowjobs out back of the Olive Garden.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tanked two BoLs on my Lancer yesterday.

The first was an absolute nightmare. The mystic basically said at the start of the run "I wasn't even going to invite a tank, but you were the only one looking." He then proceeded to run around facepulling entire rooms, trying to AoE them down and keeping himself healed with orbs. I would try to Challenging Shout them all, get surrounded, not be able to block most attacks/reposition, and have the Mystic bristle at me for having to heal me. I got lots of constructive advice like "use challenging shout for aggro" and "charge out when you get surrounded." The mystic consistently bragged about how great his heal aggro was.

The second went a lot better, the group actually let me be the first one to hit mobs and didn't have a hardon for aggroing every mob in the room. It was definitely a nice changeup from the first one, but I still have a lot to learn in terms of when I should be attacking and with what, and when I should be blocking.

I also don't really understand how threat works in this game. I'm assuming that taunt/aggro doesn't follow the WoW model (one threat table, taunt gives you the top aggro amount +X%), but I can't quite figure it out. I'd heard something about percentage threat at one point (i.e. you own a percentage of the mob's attention versus a flat amount), but I was wondering if anyone here knew a bit more.

• Options
    The second went a lot better, the group actually let me be the first one to hit mobs and didn't have a hardon for aggroing every mob in the room.

wtf is up with this? I've seen so many DPS that purposely hit stuff before the tank. Not even when the tank is going slow, I can understand that if the tank is just stupidly slow and its only a few mobs... anyone can just attack and kite/dodge/cc stuff well enough. But a tank thats leading through the dungeon at a decent speed and usually its a slayer or something who runs in way before the tank has any chance to get aggro.

I've also noticed sorcerers can get aggro anytime they want, plain and simple absolutely nothing a lancer or warrior can do about it. I'm sure the smart sorc players avoid this, but from what I've seen some of their nukes are just crazy aggro.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I guess I've settled on playing Slayer and Sorceror. Which works, since I really don't want the responsibility of being a tank or healer for yet another MMO.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular

The first was an absolute nightmare. The mystic basically said at the start of the run "I wasn't even going to invite a tank, but you were the only one looking." He then proceeded to run around facepulling entire rooms, trying to AoE them down and keeping himself healed with orbs. I would try to Challenging Shout them all, get surrounded, not be able to block most attacks/reposition, and have the Mystic bristle at me for having to heal me. I got lots of constructive advice like "use challenging shout for aggro" and "charge out when you get surrounded." The mystic consistently bragged about how great his heal aggro was.

The second went a lot better, the group actually let me be the first one to hit mobs and didn't have a hardon for aggroing every mob in the room. It was definitely a nice changeup from the first one, but I still have a lot to learn in terms of when I should be attacking and with what, and when I should be blocking.

I also don't really understand how threat works in this game. I'm assuming that taunt/aggro doesn't follow the WoW model (one threat table, taunt gives you the top aggro amount +X%), but I can't quite figure it out. I'd heard something about percentage threat at one point (i.e. you own a percentage of the mob's attention versus a flat amount), but I was wondering if anyone here knew a bit more.

Aggro in this game works as so:

Imagine a normal threat table. It isn't like wow where everyone has their own threat value. There is the mob's threat table and everyone is competing on the same table at the same time. That sorc or zerk just crit the shit out of the boss? Guess what, he's immediately on the boss's radar above everyone else.

healing threat gets a little more complicated because there is healing threat from actually regaining life values and usage threat from the act of casting the skill. direct heals count as crits to the monster. So every so often you're going to have to weave in a normal attack while you run around the room because it tricks the monster into thinking that you're not this burst damage machine. There's also overhealing threat to consider too! Basically we're back to the days of everyone having to manage their threat. Everyone.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    the fact that all instance drops are boe in tera also makes the economy really weird. weapons in particular are flooding the ah because they are class restricted, but if I wanted a gold robe I would pay up to 10x the price of a gold disc.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure why they went for that. It'd be interesting to see if kTERA made the same decision and how the economy played out there.
    Imagine what enchanting would be like if there weren't so many BoEs.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Seems to do just fine in MMOs where dungeons drop BoPs?

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a better way to download this other then through the official patcher? (like somewhere i can download a full .exe or something?) I bought the digital download edition on an impulse and through the official patcher it's going to take a full day to download apparently.

My money is on no, but hey thought I'd ask.

Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    Did you turn off the launcher's P2P? That helps with most cases.

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    Did you turn off the launcher's P2P? That helps with most cases.

I flicked it on and off and now it appears to be going much faster. So i guess that worked - thanks!

Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

Well, do you want the good news or the not so good news?

Not so good: You really shouldn't be attacking much at all. You'll usually have time for a shield stun and a few pokes here and there. Or when someone else stuns/knocks it down. Then poke to regen mana. The rest of the time you should basically be sitting on the stand still key like it's the loveliest thing in the entire world.

Good news: Once you get shield counter, debilitate, leash, master leash and similar, you start leaning on those. Shield counter in particular will be your core damage/aggro ability once you have it fully glyphed.

As far as aggro goes, just get in the habit of using challenging shout whenever the timer is up and you've just blocked a hit. Almost every boss, unless raged, has a big enough gap in between one hit and the next after a block. Challenging shout being the only skill a lancer can't use block to animation cancel, so its important to get this timing down. Everything else can pretty much be block canceled as soon as you see the numbers pop up.

Originally I had the aggro on hit thing glyphed it but it invariably seemed to draw less aggro then adding in the additional power to shield counter chaining, so I said screw it and reglyphed that instead. I know some people advise shield countering as much as possible, but I've found you run out of MP fast enough as is so using it in a chain seems the only prudent time to do so.

Also, hot damn Debilitate is amazing. So amazing. A debuff, and its also one of the hardest hitting abilities. Smacksmack. Glyping the double duration is pretty important, but getting enough points to have everything glyphed right for basic efficiency takes forever. Probably not til 40 at the least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

They have entirely different enchanting systems? Have you even enchanted anything yet?

• Options
    Badwrong wrote: »
    The second went a lot better, the group actually let me be the first one to hit mobs and didn't have a hardon for aggroing every mob in the room.

wtf is up with this? I've seen so many DPS that purposely hit stuff before the tank. Not even when the tank is going slow, I can understand that if the tank is just stupidly slow and its only a few mobs... anyone can just attack and kite/dodge/cc stuff well enough. But a tank thats leading through the dungeon at a decent speed and usually its a slayer or something who runs in way before the tank has any chance to get aggro.

I seriously felt like I was back in a WoW WOTLK heroic.

• Options
    Jibba wrote: »
    They have entirely different enchanting systems? Have you even enchanted anything yet?
    Entirely different how? From the sound of it you just go from "you have a guarantee to get X" to "you roll on a set of bonuses and your chance of success after +4 drops significantly". I don't see how this creates BoP problems that enchanting in other games didn't have.

• Options
    And what are the enchanting mats in other games?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jibba wrote: »
    Entirely different how? From the sound of it you just go from "you have a guarantee to get X" to "you roll on a set of bonuses and your chance of success after +4 drops significantly". I don't see how this creates BoP problems that enchanting in other games didn't have.

I think Jibba is saying that the glut of boe's means that it's possible to get crappy weapons and armor from the Broker to use as the item destroyed during enchanting.

EDIT: derp. I had to stop and think it through. But follow me on this. In WoW at least, the enchanting mats are seperate items sure, but they are gained from breaking down other weapons and armor of a similar level range.

So, if anything, Tera has a similiar system. It just cuts out the step of disenchanting the catalyst item first. And may take more items to achieve the higher bonuses.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So far, getting anything to +6 is stupid easy. Say its a weapon you want, just goto AH and sort weapons of the same tier by price and buy the cheapest ones. Of course you have a higher chance with better quality items, but about 5g worth of items and alkhest got me to +6 fairly easy. After that the alkhest gets more expensive, so I haven't bothered with gear I'm leveling in since its replaced all the time. The spendy shit starts happening when you wanna lux something for +12 and get those specific stats with the enigma re-identifying.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    I got my Lancer to around 24 and wanted to try something new, so I gave Slayer a whirl and made her look like my wife.

She was like OH, WHAT NICE SHOES AND OUTFIT. I WANT TO WEAR THAT.

Slayer has nice damage, feels good to kill stuff without blocking!

• Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    So is there a Wang channel or a communal channel we can join?

• Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A channel would be nice since I play on alts not in the guild when the people I usually play with aren't online.

How do you even join chat channels anyways?

Edit: Found out
    Commands:
    Making a channel - /make (channel name) (4 digit passcode)
    Joining a channel - /join(channel name) (4 digit passcode)
    Leaving a channel - /leave (channel name)

Examples
    /make DM 1234
    /join DM 1234 (channels are not case sensitive)
    /leave DM

Channel names can only be 2-8 characters. There are no admins. The channel gets deleted when no one is in it. You can have up to 8 channels. There is no auto-rejoin to the channel (please fix) so you must manually remake/rejoin it each time you relog.

Arcas on
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    I can't say for sure, not having played kTERA, but I'm guessing that the drop rates on gold weapons/armor were bumped waaaaaay up for the NA version of the game leading to these issues with the crafting system.

If golds were extremely rare (like they were in Aion back in the day) then it makes sense to invest time and $ into crafting a nice weapon. But with 2-3 golds per dungeon run (with no cooldown on re-entry) there really is no point.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Mandres wrote: »
    I can't say for sure, not having played kTERA, but I'm guessing that the drop rates on gold weapons/armor were bumped waaaaaay up for the NA version of the game leading to these issues with the crafting system.

If golds were extremely rare (like they were in Aion back in the day) then it makes sense to invest time and $ into crafting a nice weapon. But with 2-3 golds per dungeon run (with no cooldown on re-entry) there really is no point.

If by no cooldown on rentry you mean a 30 minute cooldown on rentry then you are correct.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular

If by no cooldown on rentry you mean a 30 minute cooldown on rentry then you are correct.

Lower dungeons have shorter cooldowns. CR is only 3 minutes.

• Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular

I've run CR (L36 dungeon) back-to-back multiple times with no waiting. Maybe that changes later on but 30 minutes is still basically no cooldown at all. In fact I think that was the CD on Aion's lowest-level noobie dungeon. The endgame ones were 12-24 hours.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

I've run CR (L36 dungeon) back-to-back multiple times with no waiting. Maybe that changes later on but 30 minutes is still basically no cooldown at all. In fact I think that was the CD on Aion's lowest-level noobie dungeon. The endgame ones were 12-24 hours.

iirc flame temple (if that's what it was called? The one with kromede) did not have a cooldown. I ran that thing back to back continuously for like a week.

• Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    That was a 30 minute cooldown. The drop rates are the same as KTERA. Getting the item isn't so much the goal as it is getting the right stats and enchanting to +12.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    30 min on BoL. 1 hour on Sinestral Manor. Really only awful when you're 60 and doing the dungeon boss achievements... 5 min to run through SM then 55 minutes leveling something else~

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    sorcs are so awful at soloing things that don't die really fast. I should make a warrior just to be able to kill low level bams

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    sorcs are so awful at soloing things that don't die really fast. I should make a warrior just to be able to kill low level bams

I know I sound like a broken record, but I just can't get over how tied warrior performance is to skill and knowledge. I have yet to see any single target I couldn't kill without taking a scratch, if only I were good enough. It's a wonderful feeling to have that kind of challenge.

Better armor just makes the mistakes less costly, and better weapons just make it die faster.

I'm amazed there aren't a bunch of low level BAM challenge kill videos. I think Backstab is the last mobility attack you get. I'd love to see people soloing endgame BAM's in level 1 gear at the level they got Backstab, just because they can.

• Options
    ducttapeenthusiastducttapeenthusiast Registered User regular
    My fiance and I are interested in this game, but I'm concerned with it being able to run on her computer. If she's able to run SWTOR on lowest of the low settings, will she be able to get by with low settings in TERA?

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I find Sorcs are pretty great at soloing most things. It's just that if you make a mistake it's REALLY costly for you. If you basically play perfectly though, things die so fast, faster than any other class I've tried so far.

But you're basically made of tissue paper

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Mystics! Is there a limit as to how many healing spheres I can leave lying around, or can I litter the place to my little puppy heart's content?

Also, can anyone pick them up? Or just myself (and my party, I'm assuming)?

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I don't know about a limit, but they're party only for a little while (as long as drops are party only) and then they go free.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    rpshoggoth wrote: »

I know I sound like a broken record, but I just can't get over how tied warrior performance is to skill and knowledge. I have yet to see any single target I couldn't kill without taking a scratch, if only I were good enough. It's a wonderful feeling to have that kind of challenge.

Better armor just makes the mistakes less costly, and better weapons just make it die faster.

I'm amazed there aren't a bunch of low level BAM challenge kill videos. I think Backstab is the last mobility attack you get. I'd love to see people soloing endgame BAM's in level 1 gear at the level they got Backstab, just because they can.
    I think there's a few that you can't completely avoid, especially during an enrage. Sure, I can kill rock, kuma, naga and giant BAMs perfectly, but I don't even attempt those big eyeball motherfuckers anymore. The model is too wide to simply walk or Rising Fury around and they do too many 360 AoE attacks.

I'm sure it's possible to take them down but I don't think you can do it without taking a hit. Same for those lizard things. :|

Jibba on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I solo'd a Deathfang something or other in the spider land. Good grief, that took forever, but he only hit me like once.

Funny thing is, I took less damage soloing it than I did when I was grouped with an Archer and a Sorc trying to kill it.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    My fiance and I are interested in this game, but I'm concerned with it being able to run on her computer. If she's able to run SWTOR on lowest of the low settings, will she be able to get by with low settings in TERA?

TERA performs way better than SWTOR ever did on my comp so I imagine she wouldn't even need to turn all the settings down in order for her to play.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    gahh does anyone have a spare gold robe from NT? I want one because it looks so much better than the blue robes but not for the 200+ gold prices. It's ridiculous how expensive and rare gold robes are from 38-44 then they drop off a cliff and cost like 60g at 50.

This discussion has been closed.