As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[VG Streams] YouTube Gaming now Live! Extra-Life in November!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Bumping this again cause of all the interest going on in the Steam Thread. If anyone wants to be added to the OP let me know, I'll clean it up when I get a chance.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hah, weird, i was thinking about getting into the streaming thing and i see this thread...

I used Twitch to stream Factorio for an evening once and the chat stopped updating periodically for me. is that a known issue? If so, can it be fixed?

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    I haven't been streaming enough yet to watch for a chat issue, but I have noticed that all the channels I've followed, while they still say I follow them if I go to their page directly, don't show up in my list of channels I have followed.

At first it showed that I had followed 11 channels, but no list - now it says I have followed none. Weird.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah Twitch chat is pretty bad. Whenever I stream it won't update users past the first time.

• Options
    Next new streamer question I have from streaming a bit last night.
    Is there a way to separate the audio of the game and the audio of Vent, TS, Mumble, Skype or whatever voice comm I'm using at the time?
    Had a friend chatting me up in Vent and he got to hear his voice on the stream when it caught up. since I was muting my mic in OBS, it was like a one way conversation from a viewer's perspective was magically appearing in the stream.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    So a few pages back we talked about the idea of creating a PA forums/G&T/whatever streaming solution that will let people book and/or sign up to do streams and at the same time provide a schedule that can be checked and edited that allows people to tune in and hang out. The idea being that instead of following numerous individual penny arcade forumers who stream we can create a central account that can be passed around and edited and streamed and what not.

To that end I have created the beginnings of this project.

The Penny Arcade Forums Stream Team

Comprised of a Google calendar that is view able to the public, potential streamers and audience. This also acts as the schedule which is at the moment 12 hours on Saturday and the same on Sunday. And divided into 2 hour blocks. An accompanying Google account that is to be designed and administered by those streaming/interested in handling this and will be able to edit the calendar to reflect bookings of time to stream. And of course a Twitch account linked to the Google account.

From here I would appreciate it if those interested in this, either comment in this here thread (as you all frequent it) or pm me so we can establish what time frame the stream should be done on (weekly, fortnightly, monthly) and what days would suit better for everyone. I've assumed weekends but that's not definite. Additionally an expression of interest in those wanting to stream, and those wanting to watch would be greatly appreciated so I and whomever else is keen can get this project up onto it's feet and into it's own thread.

Recrossposting from old steam thread

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    So a few pages back we talked about the idea of creating a PA forums/G&T/whatever streaming solution that will let people book and/or sign up to do streams and at the same time provide a schedule that can be checked and edited that allows people to tune in and hang out. The idea being that instead of following numerous individual penny arcade forumers who stream we can create a central account that can be passed around and edited and streamed and what not.

To that end I have created the beginnings of this project.

The Penny Arcade Forums Stream Team

Comprised of a Google calendar that is view able to the public, potential streamers and audience. This also acts as the schedule which is at the moment 12 hours on Saturday and the same on Sunday. And divided into 2 hour blocks. An accompanying Google account that is to be designed and administered by those streaming/interested in handling this and will be able to edit the calendar to reflect bookings of time to stream. And of course a Twitch account linked to the Google account.

From here I would appreciate it if those interested in this, either comment in this here thread (as you all frequent it) or pm me so we can establish what time frame the stream should be done on (weekly, fortnightly, monthly) and what days would suit better for everyone. I've assumed weekends but that's not definite. Additionally an expression of interest in those wanting to stream, and those wanting to watch would be greatly appreciated so I and whomever else is keen can get this project up onto it's feet and into it's own thread.

Recrossposting from old steam thread

Yeah lock me in on that. :) I stream nightly in EST. Usually around 8pm. Weekends are probably better for everyone though.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So, i have a question.

How does one splice in audio from, say, Skype on the stream with OBS?

Is it possible to get audio from something else like, say, a google hangouts or steam's IMs?

• Options
    So, i have a question.

Is it possible to get audio from something else like, say, a google hangouts or steam's IMs?

When I stream I have everything that I want going to one output, my headset. That includes game sound, Winamp, and Mumble. If you want to have multiple audio sources going to your stream (I.E. music from your speakers && game/voice-comm from your headset) then you'd have to use something like the DirectShow Audio Plugin. It doesn't look complicated but I haven't tried using it so I'm not sure how well it works. Here's a tutorial on how to use it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdQnm2E1SfA

• Options
    So, i have a question.

When I stream I have everything that I want going to one output, my headset. That includes game sound, Winamp, and Mumble. If you want to have multiple audio sources going to your stream (I.E. music from your speakers && game/voice-comm from your headset) then you'd have to use something like the DirectShow Audio Plugin. It doesn't look complicated but I haven't tried using it so I'm not sure how well it works. Here's a tutorial on how to use it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdQnm2E1SfA

Now I need to find a plug-in to do the opposite and only capture game sounds and my mic when OBS has the mic line open.
    That way I can mute my mic to talk in voice-comm without talking on stream and making sure the voice-comm I'm hearing doesn't spill into the stream.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It's always amazed me how difficult audio splitting/combining is with both OBS and XSplit. Both of them seem content to farm out to third party solutions for what seems like a really common streaming setup issue. Wish one of them would add at least basic combining to the core app.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Updated OP with my guide to streamin'!

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's always amazed me how difficult audio splitting/combining is with both OBS and XSplit. Both of them seem content to farm out to third party solutions for what seems like a really common streaming setup issue. Wish one of them would add at least basic combining to the core app.

It's also a real problem with Windows in general. Trying to use two different sound outputs at once or switch between them easily seems to be beyond Microsoft for some reason. Even with a soundcard I can't find easy ways to do things. At the moment I have my PC hooked up to a HDTV and I just use the speakers for that. When I play online I use a 7.1 headset so I need to go into sound options and change the default device. That's ok (if a bit of a pain) for day to day use but if I'm streaming then often I need to restart everything to switch between inputs/outputs or the audio just stops.

What I really want is for OBS to just have al ittle module with a GUI for all your audio sources and outputs, and then you just route the sources to the outputs and check boxes for the ones you want to be included on the recording.

• Options
    TPSou wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

What I really want is for OBS to just have al ittle module with a GUI for all your audio sources and outputs, and then you just route the sources to the outputs and check boxes for the ones you want to be included on the recording.

That's actually what the DirectShow Audio plugin should do. When you install the plugin you should be able to go to Sources/Add/Audio and put whatever you want to give audio to the stream. Then you can check the boxes on and off in the preview window of OBS for which you want on whenever. This is how I go from streaming my PC to my consoles, I just have different captures setup ready to go with the checkboxes.

• Options
    Just a heads up Zeldathon starts in less than 2 hours! It's like MarioMarathon but with Zelda games. Watch it at their site/donate to charities here:

http://zeldathon.net/home/

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I like streams, but I'd rather keep my Zelda backlog spoilers to a minimum.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    They just started. They also have a schedule of their order of games if you don't want to get spoiled. :wink:

First game is Oracle of Seasons, and all donations go to St. Jude's organization for sick kids.

• Options
    They just broke $7.7k and are starting Twilight Princess!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Are these just 4 regular joes who rotate through all the Zeldas until they beat them? No speed runs or anything weird?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Are these just 4 regular joes who rotate through all the Zeldas until they beat them? No speed runs or anything weird?

It's more like 30 people who gather at a hotel and rent out a lobby-room and rotate around playing zelda games. No speed runs or anything. This Mike guy kinda sucks though. He's been skipping all the cutscenes and taking shortcuts and stuff.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Twitch just released two new updates today which I assume are just the start of it's merge with YouTube and Google.

The first involves changing VODs on Twitch. All past broadcasts that are saved will be deleted in 14 days, or 60 if you're a partner or a turbo subscriber. Highlights are now limited to 2 hours only. Which sucks for speedrunners as a vast amount of runs are over 2 hours, and things like SGDQ or other marathons have to be cut into 2 hour increments.

The second and vastly more important update is an audio related one currently for VODs only.
    We’ve partnered with Audible Magic, which works closely with the recorded music industry, to scan past and future VODs for music owned or controlled by clients of Audible Magic. This includes in-game and ambient music. When music in the Audible Magic database is detected (“Flagged Content”), the affected portion of the VOD will be muted and volume controls for that VOD will be turned off. Additionally, past broadcasts and highlights with Flagged Content are exportable but will remain muted.

Pretty much killing watching VODs on Twitch. Not only that, but why even allow exportation if the content will remain muted anyway? This affects me A LOT considering all the highlights I have with music playing, or of my playthroughs which obviously have "in game and ambient music" playing from the freaking games themselves.

Ugh. Unfortunately, this is also probably just the start to the YouTube takeover it looks like. I'm gonna start looking for different venues to stream to. My friend suggested HitBox.tv, but I know nothing about it.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So.... now that Twitch decided to commit suicide in the most grandiose way by muting 90% of their content, including official streams, what is the next stop in the max exodus? What site(s) do we all migrate to?

Because yeah, Twitch is dead.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    It's official. Amazon now owns Twitch.tv. I for one like this acquisition over Google, now there can maintain steady competition between youtube and twitch and we don't have Google digging their hands into Twitch with G+ integration and garbage like that.

A change suggestion that I saw and would love would be a button on Twitch to buy games the broadcasters are streaming off of Amazon that benefit the streamer. Like compensation for advertising games. Would be pretty sick.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    i do not like this acquisition

i like it better than the total death knell that google buying twitch would have been

and i'm not sure how amazon will turn twitch to shit

and twitch has already been preemptively ruining itself in preparation for this buyout

but i remember what happened to comixology

edit: for reference, here's the blog post where amazon announced that they were going to ruin comixology. it took them a whole 3 weeks to do this after acquiring the service.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    They should take a pic of the Twitch parking lot today and then a month from now.

Parking-Lot-Full.jpg

• Options
    i do not like this acquisition

i like it better than the total death knell that google buying twitch would have been

and i'm not sure how amazon will turn twitch to shit

and twitch has already been preemptively ruining itself in preparation for this buyout

but i remember what happened to comixology

edit: for reference, here's the blog post where amazon announced that they were going to ruin comixology. it took them a whole 3 weeks to do this after acquiring the service.

Yeah, I can see how most of the changes were bad ideas. I think there's the possibility for a lot of good here though. Adding twitch turbo benefits to Amazon Prime would be nice. Unmuting VODs and having an annotation for which songs are playing that lead to amazon for people to buy would be a better solution that just muting VODs for playing music.

• Options
    It's mostly a gut feel on my part. I use twitch daily for both streaming and watching streams and I do not trust Amazon to regard the service with any sort of responsibility to the users.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    This is a surprise, though it's not big news that the acquisition of twitch.tv is something a lot of companies want. I'm unsure how Amazon will handle Twitch, but I am pretty sure it's better than Google.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I think the worst thing is it mutes in game music. Can you ask that to be unmuted because gameplay is fair use? Bioshock is muted all over the place for my stream now.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    I think the worst thing is it mutes in game music. Can you ask that to be unmuted because gameplay is fair use? Bioshock is muted all over the place for my stream now.

you have to send in an appeal every time it happens

the appeals process is literally to write them an email (no dispute form or whatever... you just send them an email) following the DMCA dispute format

then they review all 30 minutes of your muted footage by hand

as such, it takes a while for an appeal to process

• Options
    but does in game music get turned over? I guess that is biggest thing. Do people consider it fair use yet?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    but does in game music get turned over? I guess that is biggest thing. Do people consider it fair use yet?

twitch said they do not want to mute gameplay music

there are no guarantees that an appeal will succeed though, because the law is against the user in basically every way possible

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So.... now that Twitch decided to commit suicide in the most grandiose way by muting 90% of their content, including official streams, what is the next stop in the max exodus? What site(s) do we all migrate to?

Because yeah, Twitch is dead.

Some of the bigger ones like TotalBiscuit are preparing for the worst case scenario by setting up accounts on hitbox.tv in the event they have to jump ship. Jim Sterling already uses it when he streams.

It's fairly feature sparse compared to Twitch but it seems to be pretty reliable.

• Options

there are no guarantees that an appeal will succeed though, because the law is against the user in basically every way possible

I had not heard this. I know everything is against me as a streamer. I think it isn't right, but I don't write laws.

I did set up a hitbox.tv account so I have my name at least.

• Options

I had not heard this. I know everything is against me as a streamer. I think it isn't right, but I don't write laws.

I did set up a hitbox.tv account so I have my name at least.

I mean, if you stream something that either contains actual licensed music (say, you like to stream Grand Theft Auto games) as a matter of course, or something that frequently will cause false positives in their content ID system, effectively you just will never have usable vods on twitch, because the amount of time required to file and for twitch to respond to appeals is just too long.

But yeah, they supposedly do not want to flag in-game music for content id (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/twitch-ceo-responds-to-controversy-about-new-copyr/1100-6421580/).

• Options
    it says original in game music. Bioshock plays old songs, that are not original. So I would not win that.

• Options
    it says original in game music. Bioshock plays old songs, that are not original. So I would not win that.

Yeah I'm late to the party, but any copywritten music that is played in a game apart from original scores will be muted. Saints Row, GTA, Bioshock, etc... I doubt you would win an appeal.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I assume twitch for PAX this weekend will not change. Hopefully, Amazon does not mess it up.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I like how everyone is jumping ship from Twitch... even though it's like trying to escape an airborne plague. Copyright law is going to getcha at the next destination eventually as well.

While this is a pie-in-the-sky dream, I hope that some copyright law changes come of this. Having "easier" access to copyrighted music would make content creation a lot easier for game devs, filmmakers, animators and their ilk... which would be a far more positive outcome than letting some streamers have their music back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm not so much as worried about background music. There are things you can do, and that is fine. What gets me is the in game music that is copyrighted. In GTA, Saints Row I can turn of radio. In bioshock, I don't know if I have control over the music playing in background for atmosphere? I haven't tried streaming since, but I wish Copyright law would be written for this. If a game company wants to say you can't make money of your stream, I'm even ok with that. Muting the music because of the game just seems rediculus. I don't know, I'm not a lawyer though.