Options

[VG Streams] YouTube Gaming now Live! Extra-Life in November!

KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas.Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
edited September 2015 in Games and Technology
Video Game Streams
twitchtv.jpg

Table of contents
1. Introduction - What video game streaming is about
2. About Me
3. Who and Why?
4. How to Stream
5. Popular Streams
6. List of PA Streamers

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8awH1tpDDn0-RfSBXnb4OwNsxDWL7gH1fwuXDSKMwj9c4HNwqPw

Introduction!
Greetings Citizens! Welcome to the Streaming thread, where we talk about everything related to streaming video games to the internet for general public viewing. A lot of people might ask why and what's the entertainment value in this? Well I'll get to those questions in a minute but first let me explain more about what it is.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToR--PYj8Tn9UAmjLh6IpBeADO_uUkmf3B0jVcBYO9iOQcQ28dww

Video Game streaming is very similar to regular TV and has grown enormously over the years. It's simple really, any gamer just like you and me, can send live video to the internet of their computer or TV screens. People log on to different websites to watch the streamer play games and complete challenges, while chatting with other viewers about the experience simultaneously. Websites such as Justin.tv and Own3d.tv have pioneered interest in the subject and brought lots of attention from news media and press around the world.
as_seen_in.jpg

About Me
I've been streaming video games for a couple years now, mainly of a Defense of the Ancients clone called Heroes of Newerth. I started out taking tips from other HoN streamers like Pwn, Obi(Ragers) and DangerousDan (now in S2 Games). I have a stream with about 600k views and 1.25k followers(subscribers). Unfortunately, when I came to college I became too busy to play everyday like I used to, so my viewer base dwindled. Lately, I've been taking less credits and in turn have more time to stream when I play video games and I'm trying to build my base back up. If you ever have any questions on streaming, hardware, or just want some entertainment, check it out.

So, why stream?
It's a hobby, just like sports or musical instruments. We as a gaming community have taken our interest of games and shared it among the masses of other people and other gamers. Some people do it for entertainment value, others do it for the spotlight, and some even do it to gain a profit from advertisements, donations, and endorsements. Imagine being able to capture that first moment you've beaten the water temple from Zelda OoT on video, and being able to re watch that video and share it with your friends. Or being the world first to beat SC2 on brutal difficulty, all while having a live audience watching. After awhile it really becomes an addiction. I stream every single player experience now as well as my multiplayer ones.
Well that sounds all good, but how do I do it? And can you point me to some popular streams of other players?
It's KoopahTroopah's
How To Stream For Dummies And Classassins

Here's all the details you should need for setting up a basic stream using Open Broadcaster Software, a step by step setup process, as well as my computer's specs and screenshots of my personal stream settings.

PLEASE READ - Disclaimer!!! Warning!!! BEWARE!!!

NEVER EVER EVER STREAM ANYTHING TO THE INTERNET THAT YOU DON'T WANT THE ENTIRE INTERNET TO SEE!!! It's easy to forget that you're broadcasting your actions to the internet, which is full of trolls/pirates/thieves/stalkers/etc... Never put personal information, banking info, FaceBook, your email inbox, photos of you naked (which we all know you have :disagree: ), photos/videos of anyone else naked, anything illegal, or whatever else up on stream. Please be smart and responsible with your broadcasting. That being said, let's get started...

Things You'll Need

Essentials:
- Open Broadcaster Software
- A Twitch.tv or equivalent broadcaster service account
- A decent download/upload internet connection. (I recommend at the very least 5mbps for each)
- Capture Card (Only required for console streaming, unless you're using those dang nabbit new gen console contraptions)
- A computer! I recommend a fast one. The better spec'd, the better it will perform and the better it will look.

Recommended:
- A second monitor - This is to keep your chat, your preview/control window of OBS, and any other programs in view but off of the broadcast.
- A headset/headphones + mic setup - I like to keep everything on one output audio source, which will be broadcasted on the stream. Also it's nice to be able to directly talk to your viewers. Personality makes it easier to like the broadcaster.
- A Camera - If you want to put your face in your stream, really not necessary but some people do prefer it
- A CPU Capture Card - Relieves stress on the CPU and GPU which means faster streams, less frame drops, better quality and less side-effects on your gaming

Koopah's Personal Computer Specs and Stream Settings (Updated 7/23/2014)

Building computers has always been a hobby of mine and my CPU goes through lots of changes usually, but this latest machine has been kicking for 3 or so years and it's still pumping out great performance. So no real need to change up just yet, but who knows I might make an even better one once I get some income. I'm not going to recommend computer hardware here, but if you'd like my opinions on how well your machine can stream send me a PM and I'll let you know what I think. Here's my current gaming rig to run at 1080p at 60 frames per second with minimal to no frame drops.

CPU - Intel i7 930 2.6GHz Overclocked to 3.2 GHz. A good CPU is the foundation of a fast stream.
***Video Card - EVGA nVidia Geforce 760GTX 2gb Superclocked - I put stars here because a decent video card is REQUIRED to stream at high quality. This was upgraded from a Radeon and added in within the past 1-2 years, and I haven't looked back. Most newer geforces come with a special optimized broadcasting codec called NVENC. Which I will get into later.
Memory - 12GB of G.Skill 1600mhz RipJaws memory. Not necessary to have THIS much, but I also did a lot of 3D modeling and animation stuff for school. I think 4-8GB of a decent speed is enough.
CPU Capture Card - Avermedia Live Gamer HD - This is a CPU capture card, which takes stress off your video card and CPU which increases frames and performance. Not required at all, but is helpful.
Console Capture Card - Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 - I don't really recommend this card as it's been nothing but trouble since I've gotten it, but the updates that have come out have improved quality and performance. I would recommend a Hauppauge HD-PVR, that's like the industry standard card for streaming consoles.

Now before I get into a step by step on how to configure OBS, here's some screenshots of my open broadcasting setup and what everything is set to. I will refer to these in the guide later.

Here's a shot of my main window. In it I have a single scene setup with several sources, which is actually a little disorganized.
tn8tc7slv4l7.png
The sources are:
1) BRB - A text overlay that I put up when I go AFK.
2) Video Capture Device - My Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 for when people want to see my ugly face.
3) Text (which I just now renamed) - A text box at the bottom of my stream which shows what music is playing from Winamp or Pandora.
4) Game Capture - Relatively new to OBS, this will inject a capture plugin directly into the graphics plugin used by a program. Thus capturing the render frames directly from the program instead of capturing your GPU's render of your monitor.
5) Console Capture Card - My Intensity Shuttle. For Streaming my Wii U and Xbox 360.
6) Capture Card - My Live Gamer HD
7) Software Capture - Back when I didn't have a Live Gamer and Game Capture wasn't a thing yet, this is what you would use to capture your entire monitor's screen. Unlike Game Capture, this captures text and other windows besides the game you're playing.

Here's all my OBS Settings in one long image. Spoilered for length.
pwd5ocipoaqc.png

Here's my current internet speedtest:
jzgrht4t0y4y.png

Welp, let's get into how to setup your stream!
Detailed Step by Step Setup Guide
1) Download OBS from the link provided above. I recommend getting the 64bit version if you have a quad-core processor and more than 4GB of RAM Memory. While the software is downloading go create an account on Twitch.TV or something else if you'd prefer. However, please keep in mind that these instructions are going to be for Twitch.TV. Install OBS when it's finished.

2) Open OBS and click on Settings/Settings. Here you can refer to my settings picture to match if you have a similar build. The important sections are Encoding, Broadcast, and Advanced. Everything else could practically be left to default if you don't want to fine-tune or do something unique. In the following in-between steps I'll go through each setting block and explain what it do, and how I tune it. If you don't need it, just skip to step 3.

2A) Encoding - At the top of the video encoding section are three selections, two of them are probably grey-ed out unless you have a newer GTX card. If you have NVENC available, I would suggest using it as I heard it's less stressful on the CPU which is always good. If not, use x264. CBR is “constant bit rate”. This means that you will constantly stream at the max bitrate that you have chosen. I have this enabled to keep quality consistent. Padding means it will buffer some frames ahead of time to keep quality from dipping down. The buffer size doesn't really matter though, so I leave that unchecked. ***The Max Bitrate*** depends on the upload rate of your internet, this is the quality of how your stream will appear. A low bit-rate will appear artifacty and blocky with muddled pixels, a higher bit-rate will be clearer and less pixelated. Go to SpeedTest.net and see what you can handle. I would not recommend using all of your upload rate, this will slow your internet down to a crawl and may affect your stream. I also wouldn't go too high either, remember that this is the video rate you're broadcasting at, which means that viewers will need a high speed download rate to even view it without missing frames or constant buffering. Anywhere from 2-4k is usually the range. Faster games require a higher bit-rate to capture everything, slower games can handle a slower rate.

The audio encoding is pretty simple, just follow the screenshot. I'd leave the codec at AAC, and set the bit rate/format to whatever you can handle. I tried to max all my stuff out, but Twitch optimizes better with specific settings. Stereo instead of Mono of course. For those scary streams where viewers use headphones.

2B) Broadcast Settings - You can follow the screenshot here as well. Set your server to a local server near you for optimum ping so you don't drop frames broadcasting. Here you can also see a box for your stream key. Go to your Twitch.TV dashboard and it will be one of the options.(www.twitch.tv/YOURUSERNAME/dashboard/streamkey) Click Show Key, and copy what's here into the Stream Key box in OBS. OBS will then cover the key with password protection. NEVER EVER STREAM YOUR STREAM KEY LIVE TO YOUR BROADCAST. Anyone with your stream key will be able to broadcast to your channel.

2C) Video - Leave as is. You can set your resolution here if you don't want to broadcast your full monitor. If you're having performance issues or quality issues, you can also downscale your resolution. This is so you can turn your 1080p resolution into a 720p stream. Actually pretty helpful if you're having frame rate issues or if your PC isn't fast enough for 1080p.

2D) Audio - I think I left everything here at default. Really only necessary if you change your default audio device a lot in Windows and don't want OBS to do the same.

2E) Advanced - In the general section check multithreaded optimizations if you use a dual-core or quad-core CPU. Leave the priority class at Normal. You can adjust the scene buffering time to how you'd like if you're seeing quality issues, but I don't think it needs more than the default. Turn on Allow other modifers on hotkeys so you can still use hotkeys for other applications if it's not on by default.

In the video section, change the CPU preset to veryfast and the encoding to main. Messing with these settings can slow down your stream unless you know your computer can handle them. Change the keyframe interval to 2 so that Twitch is happy, and enable CFR. Leave the other two settings at default. I never touched Audio settings or Network settings.

2F) Microphone Noise Gate - This is actually really helpful and I just set this up in the past couple months or so. This is for if you have background static in your microphone when no one is speaking or if your mic is just really strong and picks up EVERYTHING. You can enable the preview to see a green bar and adjust on how you talk. I really like this option and it helps the quality of my stream because of all the noise and music playing. And we're done setting up the OBS program itself! Now you're ready to stream, so let's put some things in a scene and get it going!

3) Back at the OBS main screen, create a new scene by right clicking in the Scenes box at the bottom and clicking Add Scene. Title it however you'd like. Now in the right box labeled Sources, right click and hover over Add. In here are all the different kinds of sources you can stream from. If you'd like to stream your entire monitor, task bar, windows, programs, and all, select add a Monitor Capture. If you'd like to only stream the game that you're running, select Game Capture. If you have a capture card or camera that you'd like to take footage from, select Video Capture Device. Image for images, Image Slideshow for multiple images, and Text for text. You can add multiple sources on into a single scene. The sources will be rendered from the top of the list down, so if a full screen source is on top of a windowed source, the windowed source will be ignored and will not be rendered. I'll go into the different settings of Monitor, Game, and Video capture here.

3A) Monitor Capture - If you have multiple monitors, choose which monitor you'd like to broadcast here. Select Capture mouse cursor so the viewers can see where your mouse is. You can adjust gamma brightness to how you see fit. I leave everything else as default or unchecked.

3B) Game Capture - This application selection box will automatically refresh when a new application is loaded. This will auto detect when a game is loaded and inject into the application, if your stream does not find the right application just come back here, refresh, and set it to the one you want to stream after you open the game.

3C) Video Capture Device - Select the device you'd like to use. Hitting configure will open the devices personal control panel. Leave everything else unchecked or default. Only use Deinterlacing if you're having interlacing issues(when rows of pixels update at different times causing a jagged effect). Everything else can be left to default in Video, Audio, and Chroma Key. If the default resolution in video doesn't match your scene default resolution then enable use Custom resolution and change that. Keep at 60 fps if possible, or 30 if limited.

4) Now we have a scene and a source set up! Before you hit start streaming, click preview stream. Now you should see your screen if you have a capture card or a monitor source setup. If you're using Game Capture, open up a game and see how it looks. Right click in the preview pane, go to position/size, and select Fit to Screen to maximize your window or application to the entire broadcast size. Make sure everything is organized and sources are set as you'd like. Click Stop Preview when you're finished.

5) Click Start Streaming! There's a 20-30 second delay on what you stream to what shows up at Twitch because of their new video servers. They haven't said anything about improving it yet, so we'll have to deal with the delay. Be sure to check your audio levels on your microphone and speakers on your Twitch so you're not deafening your audience without knowing it. Fine tune them in the OBS main window by clicking on the red bars next to the microphone and speaker. Clicking either the microphone or the speaker will mute them respectively.

And that's it! You're all set. Get to streamin'! If you have any questions don't be afraid to stop by my stream at KoopahTroopah Gaming, or PM'ing me here. I'm glad to help. Have fun!
Popular Streams and Sites
Mario Marathon - What a great group of people here. Just amazing friends sitting on a couch playing various Mario games over and over again without breaks to raise money for Child's Play. This past time they raised over $111,000!!! Simply incredible.

Siglemic - He's a machine. This streamer speed runs Super Mario 64 on an actual Nintendo 64. Constantly battling for the 70 star and 120 star world records.

Kripparrian - Lately the most popular D3 stream given his latest achievement of being the first to beat Inferno Hardcore Diablo.

Destiny - The Starcraft 2 zerg player. Funny as hell, great plays, gives good advice.

Angry Testie - This professional HoN player has been given the spotlight by S2 themselves as the popular stream of Heroes of Newerth. He offers lessons and gives entertainment value to playing public matches in the game.

Most of these streams are hosted on Twitch.Tv. There you can search by game to see how many viewers each game is getting, and what gamers are streaming live. Other sites include but are not limited to: Own3d.tv, livestream.com, and ustream.com.

List of PA Streamers
1. Koopahtroopah - Streams Dota 2, and various(usually backlog) other games to capture that "first play" feeling.
2. Delphinidaes - D3 Monkathon! and PA LoL caster
3. Trynant - Plays a random collection of games from his backlog
4. CorriganX - Plays a games from backlog and horror/bad games for charity.
5. TestSubject23 - Streams for charity and plays what the viewers want to see.
6. MsMya - Streams Backlog, starting to stream more frequently.
7. Mudzgut - Random Backlog, usually streams in the evening EST.

Let me know if you're a streamer! Give me a link and what you play and I'll add you to the OP!

KoopahTroopah on

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I put the whole MM5 stream on my huge TV. So good.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I watched MM last year and am tuning in this year. Mario Marathon is probably the best stream out of every stream on twitch, which like Christmas, it only comes once a year.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I really love those guys. Such a great thing to do for an amazing cause. I will definitely have it open on my 2nd screen all weekend.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Ah, I was wondering if I should open a thread for this..glad to see someone else did it :p

I only tuned in last year when the event was about 3/4 done, luckily I actually caught the start of it this time.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    What time zone are these Mario Marathon guys in? I'd like to watch some of this during my lunch break, but It doesn't appear that they've started yet?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    What time zone are these Mario Marathon guys in? I'd like to watch some of this during my lunch break, but It doesn't appear that they've started yet?

Sorry the time zone is EST. So they're about 52 minutes in at the moment. Already at a great start, they've already raised about $15,000.

http://www.mariomarathon.com/

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Is it that time of year again already? I started watching with MM3, and I think after that one they said they were going to have to think of something different to do because they didn't believe they could top it. :D

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    If I wasn't at work right now I'd watch the Mario Marathon right now. I'll have to wait until tonight I guess.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Bah! Crappy work PC... and I forgot to charge my phone last night :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Bah! Crappy work PC... and I forgot to charge my phone last night :(

That's a shame. Don't worry though, they're not stopping anytime soon haha.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Hmm I don't stream much but I've streamed the MONKATHON in D3 along with some random sections of me playing and the the PAinhouses we do every Thursday for League of Legends. I'm trying to stream more as I find it's something I enjoy doing.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Awesome. I'll add you to the list. I'm thinking about making a monk to participate in the next MONKATHON!

• Options
    Just a quick update they're a little over $20k @ 4 hours and 45 minutes. So congrats to them, also if anyone else on PA sees this and streams video games let me know so I can add you to the PA list!

• Options
    I have always wanted to stream some EA NHL stuff when we play against randoms online. So many good times that only a handful of us get to see.

I'd love to stream other stuff too. Always wanted to try my hand at a fundraiser like MM with friends.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I have always wanted to stream some EA NHL stuff when we play against randoms online. So many good times that only a handful of us get to see.

I'd love to stream other stuff too. Always wanted to try my hand at a fundraiser like MM with friends.

Haha sounds pretty cool. I never really got into sports games. Except for like Mario Tennis and Strikers (which is awesome and I want to buy it again)

I'm going live for a couple hours and having MarioMarathon muted on my second screen before I go out for the night. If anyone wants any tips or questions on anything come say hi.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    This seems like a prime thread to ask this question in:

Anyone have experience in streaming charity VG events, like the Mario Marathon? My local gaming club wants to do something similar for charity, and I have questions.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    You should probably talk to @Joe K or @MMMig , they were both involved in rumble in the bronze as far as I know, which was a charity event put together by them and a few more people.

Frozenzen on
  • Options

Anyone have experience in streaming charity VG events, like the Mario Marathon? My local gaming club wants to do something similar for charity, and I have questions.

My mall had an N64 24 hour marathon way back when, if that's what you're asking about. It doesn't have to be streamed online if you coordinate with your local charity.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Just threw $20 their way, Mario Marathon guys are good people.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

What questions do you have? I'm sure even if we haven't run something, we could offer advice of some kind.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I was involved with the Extra-Life charity 24 hour stream thing this past year. It wasn't really hard either and I did it physically by myself but virtually with 10-15 other people.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Well I guess I'll move my questions to PM to avoid gumming things up now that I have specific names to contact. Thanks guys. :)

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    How long was the MM5 stream down? I came back from the bar and was pretty sad. They are up and running now though.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    They went down? I dunno they were up at 11pm last night when I passed out, and they're up again this morning at 8:30am.

• Options
    Yea, I got back and it was down. They were back like 10-15 minutes after that though.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Yea, I got back and it was down. They were back like 10-15 minutes after that though.

They're just at 39k too. I'm excited to see how far they go.

• Options
    Man, those levels without the Fludd in Mario Sunshine. Just fantastic level design, but fiendishly difficult.

They're at 45k $ dollars now, by the way.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Maz- wrote: »
    Man, those levels without the Fludd in Mario Sunshine. Just fantastic level design, but fiendishly difficult.

They're at 45k $ dollars now, by the way.

I second that motion. I ended up being stuck on the sliding level back when I was playing Sunhsine on my Gamecube.

Oh, and fan art comic.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Hahaha. That comic is good.

HOT HOT LAVA! Hahaha. This is so fun.

edit: I love when he plays guitar. It is like a bonfire party.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    $50,000+! They're on SMB64 right now. I wish I wasn't tired as all hell lol.

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    It's been fun watching. A few friends put together a local outpost for us all to gather, watch the stream, and play concurrently (the games we had anyhow). Every 5 deaths = fail hat and donating. Every star = win hat and donating. Either way, CPC wins!

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    I was up till like 5am watching. Saw them finish SM64 and just start SMW.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I was up till like 5am watching. Saw them finish SM64 and just start SMW.

I think they racked up over 400 deaths in Super Mario World :p

Playing Mario 3 now..with a giant NES controller :rotate:

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Stopped by to see what they were doing and orange shirt guy was wearing a mushroom turbin on his head and telling people their fortunes.

I wish I knew these guys in real life.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    77k $ raised and they just did a slow dance to Peanut Butter Jelly Time. Awesome.

Game-wise, they "just" need to 100% Mario 64, Sunshine, NSMB Wii and Galaxy 2 now.

• Options
    I missed the fortune teller stuff. So sad.

I was up till 4:30am today. Ha. I was there when they figured out they had the wrong TV mode on and it was giving lag. Haha. They skyped with Jamie too (Child's Play-Penny Arcade). Was fun. She has been in the chat most of the day too.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Just opened up the stream, almost 92k raised. Two people passed out on the couch, shirt guy continues to play Sunshine in his Mario gear. Something like 92 hours in.

• Options
    They just did the Carlton dance. I can now die happily.

Also, they're almost at 100k $ total. Crazy.

• Options
    Just opened up the stream, almost 92k raised. Two people passed out on the couch, shirt guy continues to play Sunshine in his Mario gear. Something like 92 hours in.

I was with them from midnight till about 8:30am. My God. Haha. Jed was so cranky toward when he left. It was funny. He made butter by going out and buying cream and jars and shaking the cream for a few minutes. It was glorious.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    $111,511.11 is the final number. Pretty freaking sweet for 5 days of game time. Now I gotta find another popular stream that's going on to make the thread topic. Anyone know of any?

In personal streamer news, I woke up on Sunday with a strange urge to play Donkey Kong Country. So, I did. Not only that, I got a friend to play it with me in Competitive Mode. We played online using some tools that shall not be named. We had a lot of fun, but just finished the first DKC last night. So, we plan on starting DKC2 sometime today or tomorrow. Also, I plan on attacking that backloggery of mine this weekend. Probably starting with Skyward Sword. See ya then.