As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War: Discussion] Total WAAAAAAAAGH WARHAMMER!

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    I never got fun ones like those in Rome! Sometimes I'd get a good spittle-filled one from faction-haters, but nothing like that!

I always got the crazy ones from Medieval II. Now I might stop skipping those Rome speeches.

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    "Brave warriors! I have earned great reknown for leading men to victory. I see no reason to change the habits of a lifetime today!"

Badass.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    One of my favourite ones was when I had a few groups of peasants head out to put down a little army of rebel peasants that spawned near my town.

The whole speech was , "GET 'EM!"

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I miss speeches in Fall of the Samurai.
    Speaking of Shogun 2, I really hope they don't make them say it in Latin. The different accents from all the different countries were really awesome. Just that they thought to include that was great.
    They've already fixed this, but "Milord, setting an ambush is most unhonorable" from Medieval 2 gets irritating., and I hope they don't bring it back.

Honestly, I can't figure out a way they can mess up this game with all the refinements they finally made to the UI and gameplay in Shogun 2. Only things I want besides to play in this time period, are better pathfinding, more diplomacy options, and uh... Another blood pack that's cheap, and better AI.

I would like the ability to focus an AI ally's army against a certain faction or city, to say "Hey, take one or two of your stacks and get a foothold in Greece and take Athens" and have a certain amount of chance that they will do do this immediately or soon.

In my Fall of the Samurai game, the Saga are the second most powerful Pro-emperor nation besides me. However, they have only now begun to get to the front lines after a bunch of turns since the world divide started, and instead of getting a forward base in a barely defended Sunpu Shogunate Guard city, they instead opted to take on a well defended inner city, with 2 and 1/2 stacks defending it with their only decent 2 stacks. I can't help them, I was spread out on the front and in the north 5 full stacks from different factions are attacking my city with 4 full (But very good) stacks, and they keep trying to sneak around me. Two full enemy stacks are threatening the middle front, and I'm trying to make naval invasions to the far north in Shogunate lands and the middle of a shogunate lands to grab a foothold and their attention.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Looks awesome!

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Mmmm yes pretty nice

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yep still hyped up for this game

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    unf!

Check out that fire!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Can't wait for more.

• Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Stuck in a hotel room with really slow internet connection I decided to see if I could download Rise of the Samurai in a day or two. To my joy no download was needed, the install files seems to have been downloaded with Shogun 2 when I bought it a few weeks ago. Anyone know if I should expect the same with Fall of the Samurai?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I think you're okay, since the updates include the additional material--you're just buying permission to use it. Kind of ironic, since I bought the DVDs off Amazon.com in light of better prices and additional units.

• Options
    I could get the DVD for a better price but then I have to wait 2 weeks and I don't want to keep the emperor waiting. Thanks for the info.

• Options
    Huzzah for free two-day shipping. :)

I'm waiting for Amazon.com to actually start taking orders for Rome II, of course.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Huzzah for free two-day shipping. :)

I'm waiting for Amazon.com to actually start taking orders for Rome II, of course.

Not 2 weeks shipping but I will not be in a civilized country for another 2 weeks. Probably could go to a game store and hope the game includes English language option.

I still have 2-3 days left of Rise of the Samurai but then I will try the Steam option and hope for the best.

Edit: a 2 GB update is needed to play Fall of the Samurai if you already have Shogun 2 and RotS. Sucks to be me.

Richard on
  • Options
    I'm worried yet optimistic about Rome 2. I don't see any new innovation besides having Rome: Total War set in Shogun 2's features in HD.

I really hope they bring back trading tech, make a Defensive pact where your AI allies will be more inclined to pull a stack or two in your mutual enemy's direction. I'd like to see more diverse field and city maps. I would like to bring back siege equipment as the only way to assault cities (Unless you have mangonels or catapults of course.).

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I would love some actual gameplay footage and not stylized cinematic stuff.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I'm sure we'll get some eventually. Of course the first footage they will show is going to be the prettiest they can make it.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    edit: hold on just kidding nothing to see here

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Ooo I like that. I like that a lot.

My poor PC weeps tears of Arctic Silver.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Ooo I like that. I like that a lot.

My poor PC weeps tears of Arctic Silver.

Well, they've said they are going to do everything they can to keep the minimum specs as close to Shogun 2's as they can, so if you can play that at close to recomended specs, you are going to be able to play this one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit but I've never tried Shogun 2. I'll have to grab the demo and check it out. The last TW game I played was Empires, and I can run that decently on medium settings :(

• Options
    I'm assuming that's part of a pre-scripted battle, not part of the actual campaign. Looks beautiful, but I will miss the garish colour palettes of "team" colours. Artillery on ships seems weird. Was that an actual thing at those times? A catapult on a ship strikes me as doable but also insane. Can't believe this is pre-Alpha. Absolutely stunning.

Definitely makes me want to finish my Date campaign, which has been on hold for months.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Klash wrote: »
    Artillery on ships seems weird. Was that an actual thing at those times? A catapult on a ship strikes me as doable but also insane.

Yes, it was. :)

Not hugely useful in ship-to-ship combats (because aiming at sea is really, really, really hard), but it allowed naval vessels to help assault shoreside positions.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I didn't actually see the video until now. This looks fucking awesome!
    I'm astonished by the sheer scale of that battle, it's absolutely massive. The tactical view looks like it'll come in handy.

I'm wondering if all battle maps are that big, or if it's just for the set-piece battles.

I need to play some Total War now. I have a game going in Empire where I plan on conquering all of Europe as Sweden.

Ivar on
  • Options
    Everything about that video looks good except for not being able to control units on that zoom out tactical map (seriously? Why not?) and Creative Assembly's hardon for horrific color post-processing that makes the game look like you're wearing six pairs of sunglasses.

• Options
    Empire would be perfect if it had Shogun 2's Battle AI and Campaign AI. Also if forts worked and you could occupy more than 6 buildings when defending a city.

My perfect Empire 2 rant.
    I was talking about this the other day, and I think they should skip Medieval 3 and go straight to Empire. BUT, I would have it started in 1550, where there's a balance of guns and swords and european nations will be somewhat balanced against natives which use stealth and ambushes. World map is opened up, except for Japan and maybe China, where they could add China in an expansion. They had some euro dealings. The game progresses until 1800. The game will slowly lose the need for swords, having them mostly gone from infantry by 1700, except for Cossacks, special troops, and calvary. The world has numerous regions, and Russia has the oppurtunity to colonize Alaska. Fort sieges actually work, and castles will be around in the early game, but rendered obsolete by cannons the early-mid game. You can choose from a variety of governments, but at the start, you are limited to Constitutional monarchy and absolute monarchy. Soon you can choose republic, totilitarian, democracy (Which will be difficult to control if/once your population is high).

For colonies, you can spend a big sum on developing one that's under your control, or make a land deal where the new colony is a protectorate, trades with you, and whole you can garrison a fort with your national or mercenary troops acting as protector, you don't control what it makes or what religion it chooses. The deal can have a set amount of turns until it automatically becomes yours, or a mission condition to control the colony. Through every couple of turns, you make a decision. In example: "Roanoke is starving and needs food" where you can ignore it or use part of your farm production to help them, lessening your turnly income but strengthening your relations. More examples: "Roanoke is being turned away from you by a corrupt leader", where you can send troops to pacify them, hurting relations but offering a chance for them to like you again in the future, or send a rake/assassin to kill this corrupt leader. "Roanoke is getting trouble frome the neighboring Dutch and implores your help" you can send a message to the Dutch mainland or a diplomat asking their own colonists to stop, or with stationed national troops expand your colonies by taking over the harassers colonies.

If your colony's disposition is very bad, they can revolt. The 13 colonies can become the US, New Spain can turn into Mexico, Bolivia, Peru and such.

You would be able to change your government by a revolt you can instigate yourself. If you're not liking your current monarch or if you're a republic and can't kick out someone who sucks in the minister department, then you can station on of your assassins in your capital to kill him.

Battle AI knows how to protect it's cannons optimally, and knows more than just charging when you have cannons aimed on them. The campaign AI woull be very aggressive, with nations gathering large amounts of land to climax in a war between alliances of big empires, much like the current shogun 2 system. All of Africa is capturable, and adds an added bonus of slave trading (Which was not in Empire would be perfect if it had Shogun 2's Battle AI and Campaign AI. Also if forts worked and you could occupy more than 6 buildings when defending a city.

ignore it or use part of your farm production to help them, lessening your turnly income but strengthening your relations. More examples: "Roanoke is being turned away from you by a corrupt leader", where you can send troops to pacify them, hurting relations but offering a chance for them to like you again in the future, or send a rake/assassin to kill this corrupt leader. "Roanoke is getting trouble frome the neighboring Dutch and implores your help" you can send a message to the Dutch mainland or a diplomat asking their own colonists to stop, or with stationed national troops expand your colonies by taking over the harassers colonies.

If your colony's disposition is very bad, they can revolt. The 13 colonies can become the US, New Spain can turn into Mexico, Bolivia, Peru and such.

You would be able to change your government by a revolt you can instigate yourself. If you're not liking your current monarch or if you're a republic and can't kick out someone who sucks in the minister department, then you can station on of your assassins in your capital to kill him.

Battle AI would know how to use tactics and how to protect their cannons. Campaign AI would be aggressive, and by the mid-end game there should be a couple of empires with big swathes of land, alliances forged, where one side will finally rise to the top, or will betray their alliance and achieve maximum control of the world.

And that is my dream Empire 2

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I hope they add fleeing civilians, its something that would really make the cities and towns and villages feel alive and less like 'sets'

it would get rid of the feeling of a kind of world of soldiers and armies, like it would be cool to see carts and refugees clogging an escaping road, or having to quell riots when you're defending a city. Slaughtering rich civilians could also get you loot etc.

Prohass on
  • Options
    The first thing Empire desperately needs is a non-retarded time scale similar to that of Napoleon or Shogun 2, and the map detail of Napoleon. Scale the travel distances appropriately, and you could do a lot to add to the scope of the game. Make conquering Europe feel worthwhile.

• Options
    The first thing Empire desperately needs is a non-retarded time scale similar to that of Napoleon or Shogun 2, and the map detail of Napoleon. Scale the travel distances appropriately, and you could do a lot to add to the scope of the game. Make conquering Europe feel worthwhile.

....Yeah. Though I would still like a year/tech module much like Darth's/Stainless Steel's Early/Late campaigns. 1550-1600,1600-1670, 1670-1720, and 1720-1800.

However the reason I would like an Empire and why I don't want to buy Napoleon is that I've conquered Europe so many damn times. Bunch of Medieval 2 campaigns kind of take me out of it. That's why I'd like a world wide theater rather than trimmed down and having regions that are way too big in Europe. Like the entirety of France being one region.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I still want another Medieval TW game. I know there's been two, but I just love getting crusades called and blitzkrieging everything.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

....Yeah. Though I would still like a year/tech module much like Darth's/Stainless Steel's Early/Late campaigns. 1550-1600,1600-1670, 1670-1720, and 1720-1800.

However the reason I would like an Empire and why I don't want to buy Napoleon is that I've conquered Europe so many damn times. Bunch of Medieval 2 campaigns kind of take me out of it. That's why I'd like a world wide theater rather than trimmed down and having regions that are way too big in Europe. Like the entirety of France being one region.

I can appreciate not wanting to retread Europe again, though that's subject to the game's basis as a whole--above all, France should not be one region. It's one of the major problems about having a "whole world" game, really.

• Options
    Maybe they should focus completely on the Americas. You'd still have French, Dutch, British, and Spanish, you can focus on a new land mass. The European factions would only be there in some off hands case. Unless you want to secede from your Euro mother nation, then they become a boss nation, sending a big army to take you back. CA could focus more on native Americans being your early game enemy, and really focus on the guerilla warfare aspect which made them superior in some types of terrain then linemen in bright colors. Have a plethora of tribes, Mayans, Aztecs, Incans, Cherokee, Cheyenne, the Iroquois tribes becoming the Iroquois confederacy, the Sioux, Pueblo natives and such.

Or, bypass any historical grievance that can be made against a historical grand strategy game, and make their own fictional universe with the factions they want and do whatever.

Or Warhammer 40k Total War would be nice.

• Options
    Total War: Greece would be nice. Greece + Anatolia + Aegean Sea, blown up to Total War map size, would be new enough that it wouldn't just feel like Europe.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Moribito: Total War. Or I guess Yogo: Total War in that case. Get on it, TW!

More relevantly, it'd be nice to see a late Greek antiquity expansion for Rome II, if that were possible.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    It's a few weeks old but Eurogamer finally posted this video from the Eurogamer Expo last month:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw2S3FxCsrQ

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    I took a short break from Total War after completing all three campaigns in Shogun II. Looking forward to trying out Empire but should I use DarthMod Empire? What are the pro's and con's?

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Rome II faction reveals:

Ranging from the Spanish coast to the far-flung, exotic kingdoms of the east, the campaign map for Total War: ROME II™ is breath-taking in scope, and a study in detail and variety. This page is your source for background information about each of the playable factions: their starting position on the campaign map, their civic and military focus, and some of their key battlefield units.

The playable factions represent key powers within the Greco-Roman, Barbarian, and Eastern cultures, and each offers a notably different and deeper form of gameplay experience from those in previous Total War games. Each brings unique commercial, military and political strengths, its own agents and political system, and three tech trees representing civic, military and engineering disciplines. Each will have its own dilemmas to face and different styles of army to manage. Some factions are split into a number of playable families, which bring further unique benefits to their base faction traits.

Players will need to work with – and in certain circumstances against – their faction’s internal political system. You’ll direct the actions of famous characters from history, and if they’re not out in the field commanding your armies, they’ll be politicking in the senate house, or its cultural equivalent. Players would be wise to keep an eye on such individuals…

Some factions rely more on mercenaries for their military might; some prefer to train their own. Some rely on client-nations or vassals to boost their economic growth, while others are more trade-focussed. Whichever you choose, each faction brings a completely different gameplay experience to Total War: ROME II™.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Factions

478043_390669961008210_835713815_o.jpg

The Roman Republic is in a period of major growth. Pyrrhus and his invading Greek warriors have been driven from the shores of Italy, and the burgeoning Republic boasts the military muscle to match its ambition. Rome is the dominant power on the Italian peninsula, and stands at a turning point in history. But to expand, she must conquer. To the North lies the Estruscan League, and beyond, the Barbarian lands. To the east lie the Greeks, and to the south and west, the Carthaginians…

Since throwing off the rule of the Etruscan Kings in around 500BC, the Roman Republic has come to represent a power like no other. Military service is mandatory for citizens, and one of the most profound contributions a citizen can make. This makes the Republic militaristic at its very heart.

The strength of the Roman army lies in organisation, discipline and strict tactical doctrine. Well-drilled, well-equipped heavy infantry form the backbone of the army. The young, lightly armoured hastati man the frontlines. Behind them stand the more skilled, chainmail-clad principes. The oldest and most experienced warriors – the bronze-armoured triarii – hold the rear. These monolithic formations are supported by the Roman cavalry, or equites.

As a playable faction, Rome benefits economically from its excellence in metalwork, enjoys enhanced military development, and can exploit the masses in order to maintain public order. Furthermore, the player will choose to conduct the affairs of Rome as the head of one of three great Roman houses: The Julia, The Cornelia, and the Junia, each of which bring further economic, military and cultural benefits.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Roman_Faction

Prisca on
This discussion has been closed.