As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread [About the Man] of Steel

1111213141517»

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    It would have taken the Kryptonians all of 15 seconds to grab Ma Kent and throw her on their ship. Heck, Zod could have gone back to kidnap her after he was rescued by his soldiers.

As for the ship, Zod specifically said that they were able to turn the phantom projector into a phantom drive and that Jor-El did the same thing with Kal's ship. So the Kryptonians still had the technology for FTL travel. At the very least, they could have used its conventional drives to get far enough away from Krypton to avoid the damage and then come back to salvage the equipment they need to build a phantom drive. Heck, even going into the phantom zone would have been better than dying with Krypton since there would still be a chance that they might be saved by some other civilization.

That prison ship just doesn't actually make much sense. For one, why waste such a massive amount of resources and go to such effort just to imprison people? Why does that ship have equipment that allow it to perform all sorts of other functions? Zod said that he turned the phantom projector into a phantom drive, that would suggest the ship has all the engineering and scientific equipment needed for that kind of operation. It also has hangers for fighter ships and can accommodate a terraformer.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well they did have 30 years to make said modifications. Lets not pretend they did nothing with their time.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DevikoDeviko Registered User regular
    If they had used Ma Kent as a hostage I think that would have annoyed me more because WE GOT UR MOM is a predictable line of approach to milk Superman's moral compass. To be fair they also fucked up with trying to play on Superman's morality with the ending but I really got no problem with them choosing not to take a hostage in that situation. The movie's flaw is with not following through in effectively using all of Metropolis as a hostage.

I got the impression that Jor-El specifically designed Clark's ship because he was a scientist, but that he didn't have the ability to do so for a larger exodus. Also nobody was listening to him anyway.

I got no answer on the prison ship because I think it's also a bit dumb. I mean it serves as a more logical vehicle for getting them to the planet than Superman II's "we are trapped in a spinning square" but seems to exist largely to get a giant death machine on earth for the climax. There does seem to be a science... guy... on that ship with them which makes it kind of plausible that they could engineer the ship for FTL travel. It's just awful convenient that they're able to do so.

There is a point at which I'm willing to gloss over things if they don't totally make sense, not because handwaving is an acceptable excuse but because in a big sci-fi action movie there are going to be implausibilities and leaps of logic. Does a thing mostly makes sense and is acceptable in the context of the scene? Ok sure let's go with that. I'm more disappointed with flaws of characterisation and general execution.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Deviko wrote: »
    This actually bugged me for a long time in the movie because I thought they were just being all noble and shit because it seemed like... they had this giant fucking ship and they just use it to send criminals away. But after talking with a more observant friend, at some point in the movie it's established that Kryptonians don't use faster than light travel anymore. I think that Zod's ship only has one purpose (to go into the Phantom Zone) which is what that triangular space apparatus is for. It's specifically stated that they had to re-engineer Zod's ship in order to make it go anywhere. It is kind of confusing though and they could have explained it better, but I'm fairly certain there is a reason why they don't evacuate.

A buddy of mine in high school had an Iroc-Z. 15 years later, I never want to be seen in an Iroc-Z again. However, should my town every blow up because of science done to it, and should my only means of leaving be the Iroc-Z, I reckon I'd get in.

On the topic of Kryptonian plans, the entire council seemed brain dead. Zod walks in and starts dropping bodies and these dudes can't even muster up a grimace. They didn't look angry, or scared. They just looked confused. It's no wonder these guys approved the use of the planet as fuel and it's no wonder they couldn't come up with a means to evacuate a couple thousand people.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Well they did have 30 years to make said modifications. Lets not pretend they did nothing with their time.

But they're all soldiers/officers with one scientist. The Kryptonians could have mobilized all their scientists and engineers.
    If they had used Ma Kent as a hostage I think that would have annoyed me more because WE GOT UR MOM is a predictable line of approach to milk Superman's moral compass. To be fair they also fucked up with trying to play on Superman's morality with the ending but I really got no problem with them choosing not to take a hostage in that situation. The movie's flaw is with not following through in effectively using all of Metropolis as a hostage.

But Zod is supposed to be some brilliant military leader, surely he should see the advantage in taking Superman's mother as a hostage.
    I got the impression that Jor-El specifically designed Clark's ship because he was a scientist, but that he didn't have the ability to do so for a larger exodus. Also nobody was listening to him anyway.

Well, Jor-El is also kind of a douchebag.
    I got no answer on the prison ship because I think it's also a bit dumb. I mean it serves as a more logical vehicle for getting them to the planet than Superman II's "we are trapped in a spinning square" but seems to exist largely to get a giant death machine on earth for the climax. There does seem to be a science... guy... on that ship with them which makes it kind of plausible that they could engineer the ship for FTL travel. It's just awful convenient that they're able to do so.

There is a point at which I'm willing to gloss over things if they don't totally make sense, not because handwaving is an acceptable excuse but because in a big sci-fi action movie there are going to be implausibilities and leaps of logic. Does a thing mostly makes sense and is acceptable in the context of the scene? Ok sure let's go with that. I'm more disappointed with flaws of characterisation and general execution.

They could have at least worked a bit harder or changed the story a bit so that there aren't so many holes.

The original origin where no one knew that Krypton was dying and they only had time to send away one ship made way more sense despite being much simpler. The origin in The Animated Series where Brainiac was intentionally hiding the truth so that it could save itself made a lot more sense too. MoS's new origin introduces so many ideas that should have been explored a bit more deeply but then just glosses over them and it makes a lot less sense as a result.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I didn't have sufficient a background with Superman stories to give particular care to changes in his character or backstory (He's been around for 80's years, I'm gonna give a pass for trying new ideas). The biggest problem is things didn't feel sufficiently justified within the execution of the film. The ending could have been ok if they'd just tweaked a couple of scenes to give proper characterisation.
    Zod wants Lois to come up to space to...start up the Jor-El Ex Machina?

On that point I think one could fairly opine that Zod/Faora is smart enough to see the advantage of having a hostage in case Kal tried to fuck anything up on the ship.

I don't believe they took her hostage just for the sake of having a hostage. For once these alien invaders, unlike nearly every other invader before, took the time to actually pull up Google news and see what the Hell was going on. Given Lois released her information and was then picked up by the FBI I'm sure they noticed her existence and wanted her to read her mind more than anything else.
    Or maybe they should have said "You know what, this planet is actually perfectly hospitable already, there's no need for terraforming."

Now this bugged me.

"And do what? Suffer for years like you did as a child?!"

And then become invincible fucking gods you dip shit.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    As far as taking Lois hostage she says that they interrogated her and she told them things. Supes replies with a don't worry they did that to me too. So they did grab her for a purpose beside hostage.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    As far as taking Lois hostage she says that they interrogated her and she told them things. Supes replies with a don't worry they did that to me too. So they did grab her for a purpose beside hostage.

The assumption is they found out about Ma Kent from Lois. Redundant, since they had Kal already, but whatever. Can't have too many hostages, I say. But why did they lock her in a cell that had access to a computer that controls the entire ship? They know Kal had a key because he fired up the scout. They know Lois is close to Kal. Might it be wise to search your hostages in case they have a key?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

The assumption is they found out about Ma Kent from Lois. Redundant, since they had Kal already, but whatever. Can't have too many hostages, I say. But why did they lock her in a cell that had access to a computer that controls the entire ship? They know Kal had a key because he fired up the scout. They know Lois is close to Kal. Might it be wise to search your hostages in case they have a key?

It just occurred to me that given they interrogated her mind they probably should have known she had the key.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The prison ship couldn't "get away" from krypton because it was in the phantom zone IIRC. The destruction of krypton sent them outside of the phantom zone with the destruction of the gate. They needed the time to build the phantom drive.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    As to why they terraform, Zod specifically states in his conversation with Jor that he doesn't want to suffer through the acclimatisation (I'm guessing raising new Kryptonian babies in that environment would be extra hard and they don't want to risk it).

This is ever so slightly undermined by the fact that he has, by the last fight in the movie, acclimatised completely.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Now this bugged me.

"And do what? Suffer for years like you did as a child?!"

And then become invincible fucking gods you dip shit.

There was some implication that Clark was able to survive and thrive because he was naturally born. And that the test tube babies were part of what led to Krypton's downfall in the first place. They could have done a better job explaining that perhaps the genetically engineered baby process would fail in Earth's Atmosphere. Perhaps this is why all the other Krypton colonization attempts failed. It's really the biggest hole in the movie that could have been easily explained.

I also think Zod didn't want to share a planet with humans in the end. Terraforming brings back his happy feelings of home, while killing off the locals. Kind of the equivalent of small-pox blankets. Sure they could have used their weapons and super strength to get rid of the humans, but terraforming was just faster.

More could have been done here though, for sure.

• Options
    Terraforming earth probably lends itself to supporting the kryptonian ecosystems too. Like flying dragonhorsething.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DevikoDeviko Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    This is ever so slightly undermined by the fact that he has, by the last fight in the movie, acclimatised completely.

Hey now there's is no plot explanation that can't be conveniently hand-waved when you need some super powered punching action.

But yeah either Zod is particularly good at acclimatising (there is some implication that Zod being a born warrior might give him a certain mental and physical edge on that) or they were always going to write themselves into a hole on that one when you want a clash of the titans ending. Although other than the weaknesses of the the suits getting damaged Faora seemed to be doing a pretty good job of kicking people's asses without the atmospheric powers... Kind of wish they had tried something more interesting there rather than LOOK TWO SUPERMANSSSS.

Dissociater's explanation makes more sense though. If you take the view that they wanted the most optimum condition for creating a new Krypton then terraforming is the way to go. If the goal is to uphold and preserve Krypton culture then even if they were kind-hearted and decided not to terraform but just enslave the human race, from Zod's perspective that's unnecessarily complicated and gains him nothing. They don't wanna be gods, they just want their planet back.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So I saw this last weekend. And I've spent the last longest while disseminating this thread.
    Here are my initial thoughts.
    I still don't understand why they brought Lois onto the ship as a prisoner. I literally see no reason at all. As was mentioned, when they read her mind, they didn't see that she was given something from Supes? And they have X-Ray vision no? Can they not search her quickly?
    If they're in protective suits that protects them from the rays of the Sun, how do they have super powers at all?
    It isn't the fucking composition of the atmosphere that makes Superman strong, it's the fucking Sun. Even shielding him from the Sun doesn't immediately make him weak. That whole thing was stupid.
    I really doubt one scientist is going to be able to get enough information from looking at an engine to determine how to make it into a bomb. Wouldn't they need some engineers? Lots of people to figure it out? Or was that the magic knowledge that Jor-El was able to magically give Lois who I doubt had any understanding of anything that she would have been told? She's a reporter, not a Nobel Laureate.
    Zod can move his eyes. Or did I miss something?
    Why did Pa Kent go kill himself? He could have just sent Clark in his place, have Clark and the dog jump miles away, and meet up with them later, stating that they were thrown by the tornado?

And a better scene which I can think of off the top of my head to make Pa and what he says make more sense:
    Instead of saving the stupid bus, have him, in middle school, get into a fight with some bullies. Not necessarily the same ones we see later on. It's in Middle School/Junior High/Whatever. He's just starting to realize his power. And in a fit of preteen angst, he punches a dude so hard, he goes flying. Like, through a door and out of a room into some lockers. And then the crowd would gather around, looked shocked. You could even through in some other shots later of him in casts and whatnot. Hell, have Pa take him to the hospital to make him feel better/do some Good Christian Penancing. Have Pa give him some guidance about how he's much more strong than everyone, that the violence should really be the last resort. Then cut to the scene of him getting beat up outside of Pa's shop, and him not fighting back though he wants to.
    Cliche as hell, but it works better than what we got.

• Options
    So I saw this last weekend. And I've spent the last longest while disseminating this thread.
    I still don't understand why they brought Lois onto the ship as a prisoner. I literally see no reason at all. As was mentioned, when they read her mind, they didn't see that she was given something from Supes? And they have X-Ray vision no? Can they not search her quickly?
    If they're in protective suits that protects them from the rays of the Sun, how do they have super powers at all?
    It isn't the fucking composition of the atmosphere that makes Superman strong, it's the fucking Sun. Even shielding him from the Sun doesn't immediately make him weak. That whole thing was stupid.
    I really doubt one scientist is going to be able to get enough information from looking at an engine to determine how to make it into a bomb. Wouldn't they need some engineers? Lots of people to figure it out? Or was that the magic knowledge that Jor-El was able to magically give Lois who I doubt had any understanding of anything that she would have been told? She's a reporter, not a Nobel Laureate.
    Why did Pa Kent go kill himself? He could have just sent Clark in his place, have Clark and the dog jump miles away, and meet up with them later, stating that they were thrown by the tornado?

And a better scene which I can think of off the top of my head to make Pa and what he says make more sense:
    Instead of saving the stupid bus, have him, in middle school, get into a fight with some bullies. Not necessarily the same ones we see later on. It's in Middle School/Junior High/Whatever. He's just starting to realize his power. And in a fit of preteen angst, he punches a dude so hard, he goes flying. Like, through a door and out of a room into some lockers. And then the crowd would gather around, looked shocked. You could even through in some other shots later of him in casts and whatnot. Hell, have Pa take him to the hospital to make him feel better/do some Good Christian Penancing. Have Pa give him some guidance about how he's much more strong than everyone, that the violence should really be the last resort. Then cut to the scene of him getting beat up outside of Pa's shop, and him not fighting back though he wants to.
    I assume pa kent didn't have clark save the dog because he wanted him to protect Martha and make sure the tornado didn't come back for her. You see them in the suit with super powers on earth. The film sets up that the atmosphere weakens them, since he's in space and in their atmosphere, blocked from the sun, he was essentially powerless (think of Krypton's atmosphere as a power sapping kryptonite mechanic). You hear Martha mention that as a baby he struggled to breathe, so there's an acclimation effect to get used to Earth's thick atmosphere (nurturing was the word Jor-El used I think). Likely they had strength and speed, but not a whole lot of the other abilities like flight, hearing, xray sight, heat vision. Evidence by superman breaking zod's visor and his senses being overloaded.

Likely Jor-El explained to Lois that the ship he sent Kal-El to earth in uses a special type of drive and putting the key and crashing it into the ship will transport everything to the phantom zone. Not really complicated.

I wasn't really happy with some of that stuff either, especially the Krypton atmosphere stuff.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    As to why they terraform, Zod specifically states in his conversation with Jor that he doesn't want to suffer through the acclimatisation (I'm guessing raising new Kryptonian babies in that environment would be extra hard and they don't want to risk it).

The second spoiler is pretty much out of the first Spider-Man movie.

• Options
    With super powers comes super responsibility. Remember that Clark, remember that.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Saw this yesterday. I was pretty much rooting for the Kryptonians. Too bad the bad guys always lose. Booo Supes.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

The second spoiler is pretty much out of the first Spider-Man movie.

Pretty much. And you know, it worked. I did say it was cliche'd as hell.

• Options
    Also,
    How was Clark supposed to protect his mother from the tornado? He'd have to use his super powers. And there wouldn't be the tornado to mask it, and everyone would see. So, again, Pa just threw himself into a tornado for not fucking reason at all.

Really, I'm surprised that Clark didn't turn out to be a completely paranoid maniac.

• Options
    I think it was a last ditch effort, he wanted to make sure if there ever was a reason, she would be safe with Clark. Even if it meant exposing himself.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So, character discussion

I know people have tossed around how much "the thing" damages Superman as a character and makes him "not Superman"

But honestly, I don't feel that Superman is the one most harmed by "that thing".

You know who it damages the most, by it, in the movies, if they decide to include him?

Luthor.

Do you know why?

Killing Zod makes Luthor RIGHT.

Luthor CANNOT be right. EVER. Luthor's whole insane drive to beat Superman is based around "what Superman COULD be", and how that thing, because of that distinct possibility should be destroyed.

It's irrational, yes. But is the logic sound? Also yes.

And it takes Superman being a becon of fucking LIGHT, EVERY SINGLE DAY, to prove that Luthor's a raving, paranoid lunatic.

Because if he does slip, even once, then, well, Luthor is right. Is JUSTIFIED. So what's to stop the world from treating Superman as a hostile alien force?

Why should we listen to Superman, an Alien playing a limited god,over Luthor, when if pushed, Superman will simply kill us?

And if you have to ask those questions, why believe, or even root for Superman?

• Options
    They wanted Lois because she wrote that article about Superman.
    They said that Krypton has a higher gravity and harsher environment so I would assume that Kryptonians are naturally stronger. Maybe their suit also lets in some yellow sun radiation to enhance their abilities. Or maybe the suit doesn't filter out the sun and only filters out the extra sensory information.
    Jor-El said that both the sun and the atmosphere will give Kal powers. I believe the Kryptonian scientist also had a line about how they neutralized the powers Superman gains from the sun.
    Jor-El AI probably reprogrammed the USB stick to modify the ship into a bomb.