As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft 2] THIS THREAD IS OVER. POST IN THE NEW ONE PEOPLE!

• Options
    itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    shwaip wrote: »
    please post a replay

itsweb on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    I don't save any of my replays.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    You should start immediately if you expect any help from us :)

• Options
    You can toggle the game to save all replays. Also, the game "temp saves" your last 5 or so ladder games so you can go back and choose to save them permanently.

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    I don't save any of my replays.

they are auto-saved in documents\sc2\account\{acctname}\replays\unsaved

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Early-mid game I'm fine. Its this late game 14reactor-7different rally never-ending mineral stream that is just too much for me currently. Banes can't even touch them, they simply die before reaching them and drops certainly don't work. Nothing in my arsenal can stand up to a bunch of marines right now, its extremely frustrating to out-macro someone and lose simply because they don't need gas to compete.

if you are losing to pure attack moved marines you are not out macroing anybody

Whatever. I'm not going to argue theory with you, I'm not making this shit up.

The amount of times I have heard

"I have good macro but I lose because of X" in this very thread alone

only to watch one of the replays and see shit like this:

-500 floated minerals at 9 minutes
    -35 extra energy on queens injecting by 6 minutes
    -repeated supply blocks because not enough pylons made
    -"I have constant probe production" apparently translating into "constant production for the first 2 minutes and then 5-6 second gap between every probe after that"
    -warpgates sitting idle for 15 seconds between production rounds
    -maxed chronoboost a few minutes into the game

I guarantee that if I watched one of your replays, even though I am a Protoss and Terran player and only offrace Zerg at Diamondish level, I could still find ten macro mistakes in the first six minutes of any game you care to show us. One of our experienced Zergs could find more, no doubt. And the first six minutes of every game are the most crucial part.

Chances are that your macro is about 400% worse than you think it is, and until you acknowledge the fact, and as long as you keep blaming things that are not true, you will never improve.

if a-moved MMM could beat equivalent ling/bane/infestor armies, do you think a pro Terran who can micro his marines well would ever lose a game??

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh God Dhal I hope you don't pounce like this on all the new kids who show up for HOTS.

At least wait till he gives us a replay.

When you are just starting there are 50 billion things you can improve on and a lot of the time newer players focus on the wrong stuff. Showing us a replay will help us orient you in the right direction without overwhelming you.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Replays are a must if you ever want to improve. This thread, while sometimes prickish, can really turn your game around quick. Hell, ask for a Zerg tutor. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Pretty much what Sceptre said, I guess. I will start saving my replays so I can actually back my bitching up with examples though.

I make no illusions, and claim none, that I am an awesome player. I haven't even cracked platinum yet. My complaint didn't involve perfect macro so much as *way the heck better* macro than my opponent, who I shall remind you was in my league as well.

I was more looking for general zerg unit comps to help combat mmm balls since I'm failing to do so effectively with bane/infestor/roach.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    sparser, harsh language aside ( <3 dhal) we absolutely are here to help, I just want to make that clear. in fact dhal will probably help you more than most.

when you get some replays up I promise within a few days you'll be laughing at mass marine and trolololing your banes into them

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Pretty much what Sceptre said, I guess. I will start saving my replays so I can actually back my bitching up with examples though.

I make no illusions, and claim none, that I am an awesome player. I haven't even cracked platinum yet. My complaint didn't involve perfect macro so much as *way the heck better* macro than my opponent, who I shall remind you was in my league as well.

I was more looking for general zerg unit comps to help combat mmm balls since I'm failing to do so effectively with bane/infestor/roach.

If you're intent on infestors, then you need to go ling/bane/infestor otherwise you will run out of gas. Roaches don't have much of a place fighting MMM balls unless they're in small packs to deter drop harass.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    Understood guys, don't sweat that you've chased me away I feel the warm vibrations emanating from the intertubes connected to my brain receptacles.

• Options
    Kambing wrote: »

If you're intent on infestors, then you need to go ling/bane/infestor otherwise you will run out of gas. Roaches don't have much of a place fighting MMM balls unless they're in small packs to deter drop harass.

I actually don't *love* infestors as I prefer to play a more macro and harass, Idra-y form of play when I can. If you have suggestions for alternate comps I'd love to hear them.

My current project is to work on drop timings. I just surprised the hell out of a gold terran when I double dropped banes and lings on his natural and main as he was sending drops my way.

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular

I actually don't *love* infestors as I prefer to play a more macro and harass, Idra-y form of play when I can. If you have suggestions for alternate comps I'd love to hear them.

My current project is to work on drop timings. I just surprised the hell out of a gold terran when I double dropped banes and lings on his natural and main as he was sending drops my way.

TvZ mid-game compositions to aim for fall into three buckets:

Ling/bane/infestor
    Ling/bane/muta
    Roach/infestor (against mech)

Here's a close game I played with Vari a few days ago to give you a sense of what ling/bane/infestor can look like.

http://drop.sc/234924

Ling/bane/infestor is very suited towards passive play towards broods since you streamline your hive tech. Muta is coming back into style in response to Terrans counter-comping ling/bane/infestor with pure MMM (rather than marine/tank/medivac).

Much of the counterattacking that will happen in TvZ with ling/bane/infestor isn't with drops, but with well-timed counterattacks. That game isn't a good example of that, but the ability to counterattack is a direct function of your map awareness and positioning, two key things you should be striving for to accelerate your progress. Once you post some replays, we can chat about specifics.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options

Most people here can also mass marine at gold+ levels if you want in-game practice. Continuously playing against it is really helpful.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't mean to be overly harsh, but its very easy, as a new player, to not truly realise how important your macro and mechanics are. You can say "Yep, macro is very important" but it takes a while before it really sinks in just how important.

Someone published figures a while back showing fights between marine armies in a TvT. Something like 5 extra marines in a fight of 40vs35 makes a 15 marine difference at the end of the fight compared with 35 vs 35. No amount of micro is going to make that kind of difference.

And the same applies to all races.

It is always better to focus as much effort as you can on having more units as opposed to worrying about what to do with your units that you have.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    I don't mean to be overly harsh, but its very easy, as a new player, to not truly realise how important your macro and mechanics are. You can say "Yep, macro is very important" but it takes a while before it really sinks in just how important.

Someone published figures a while back showing fights between marine armies in a TvT. Something like 5 extra marines in a fight of 40vs35 makes a 15 marine difference at the end of the fight compared with 35 vs 35. No amount of micro is going to make that kind of difference.

It is always better to focus as much effort as you can on having more units as opposed to worrying about what to do with your units that you have.

have you ever seen the 12v12 lings and how proper micro makes an insane diff?

or how lining up ranged in a file so they can get into arc easier.... some of this is incredible....

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    12v12 is the same number of units on each side, which is missing the entire point of what Dhal is saying.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Joe K wrote: »

or how lining up ranged in a file so they can get into arc easier.... some of this is incredible....

Way to miss the point.

If you spend all your practise time learning how to micro 12 lings perfectly in a ling vs ling fight, and then you play someone of equal skill but who has spent their practise time learning how to macro well, your perfectly micro'd 12 lings will lose to their 20 lings every time.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I AM HOME!

To play starcraft or watch a movie

arg.... really want to just chill and watch a movie...

aaaarrggg.......

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    To his defence Zerg might not have the micro ceiling on most of its units, but shittily microed banelings and infestors are by far the least cost efficient things in the game. You will trades thousand of resources for nothing.

So its pretty easy to just die to some AFK T/P if you are having nooby heart palpitaitons and bowling banelings into stalker lines and fungalling three marines at a time.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »

Way to miss the point.

If you spend all your practise time learning how to micro 12 lings perfectly in a ling vs ling fight, and then you play someone of equal skill but who has spent their practise time learning how to macro well, your perfectly micro'd 12 lings will lose to their 20 lings every time.

It is cool I made one baneling.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Just for the record, my love for Stephano eclipses everything else in my life.

I don't hate Nony but it's true that he has made plans for his stream before and never gone through with them.

And macro is good. Macro macro macro. Did someone say micro? Nope, you just misheard macro. When you get around high plat/low diamond you can start balancing improving your macro with other things like army control and map awareness.

mEEksa on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    holy shit

what just happened there?

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    holy shit

That was incredibly sexy. Squirtle Vortex'd basically all of Hyunn's Broodlords, but just before the Vortex popped, Hyunn Neuraled the Mothership, cloaking his army and preventing the Archon's from wiping everything out. So fuckin' sexy!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    In my ongoing search for the perfect build order, I discovered today that 'CC first > rax > double gas' and '16CC > double gas' both start their factories at 4:30 assuming no worker harass.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    sparser, harsh language aside ( <3 dhal) we absolutely are here to help, I just want to make that clear. in fact dhal will probably help you more than most.

when you get some replays up I promise within a few days you'll be laughing at mass marine and trolololing your banes into them

also remember the first step to being bad at sc2 is admitting you are TERRIBLE at sc2

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    holy shit

That was incredibly sexy. Squirtle Vortex'd basically all of Hyunn's Broodlords, but just before the Vortex popped, Hyunn Neuraled the Mothership, cloaking his army and preventing the Archon's from wiping everything out. So fuckin' sexy!

What stream is this? Twitch and TL are being useless

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    We have 2.

Need 2 more for team awesome sauce.

wra

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Liquid'Jinro retires. Wow. Jinro fighting.
    Good night, sweet prince.
    lw34_jinro.jpg

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Super sad : ( I met Jinro at MLG Columbus this year and he was the nicest dude. Used to watch his stream all the time as well.

TaeJa the lone terran player on liquid now, although I think with him he's all they need haha

itsweb on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Jinro! :(

I'm stuck at University right now, getting super frustrated with the terrible piece of software that Adobe Illustrator CS6 is, wishing I could be watching funday monday instead :(

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

I'm stuck at University right now, getting super frustrated with the terrible piece of software that Adobe Illustrator CS6 is, wishing I could be watching funday monday instead :(

At least you're paying student prices :(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Well, he goes back to school now, right?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    itsweb wrote: »
    Super sad : ( I met Jinro at MLG Columbus this year and he was the nicest dude. Used to watch his stream all the time as well.

TaeJa the lone terran player on liquid now, although I think with him he's all they need haha

If only you had made your presence known earlier...you could have met me in real life.

EDIT: @Anzekay on an unrelated note, if I wanted to learn how to use Illustrator, what's the best way to do that? How different is it from Photoshop?

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Cantido wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »

At least you're paying student prices :(

I'm using it on one of the macs in the maclab I'm in. Illustrator is one adobe program I don't own. Wouldn't pay money for something that makes me want to hit desks :|

Anzekay on
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    God...dammit...I...I...think I hate Day 9. How did this happen? :(

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Saaruto wrote: »
    itsweb wrote: »

If only you had made your presence known earlier...you could have met me in real life.

EDIT: @Anzekay on an unrelated note, if I wanted to learn how to use Illustrator, what's the best way to do that? How different is it from Photoshop?

Photoshop is about vectors and graphics and effects. Illustrator is pretty much math put into visual form.

Your best bet is to get the software, look up some tutorials online and go to town from there. I don't know many good illustrator tutorial sites myself, but a google search should find some free stuff I suspect.

One very straightforward method though is to grab some stuff like logos, images, etc and practice tracing them.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm moving out to Seattle in late September and expect to meet up with some of you for a barcraft. Those do exist out there right?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page