As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] End of an Era

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    68!? I think the last one I've seen had a rocketlauncher. Which number was that?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Did anyone else's HL2 and assorted games just get updated?

• Options
    It would be hilarious to give eveybody Episode 3 as an unannounced patch.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Oh wow! Freeman's Mind wrapped up? I'm gonna have to to back to where I left off. Somewhere in the 50's I think.

The pirate episode is my favorite so far.

I wonder if he will continue in HL2?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    The Black Mesa guys started nudging people towards http://bmrf.us/ so I wonder if they have an announcement coming soon.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Sweet, I bet we only have to wait, like, 9 months!

• Options
    Black Mesa came out TWO years ago.

They announced the Steam version a year ago.

Those boys take their time, that's for sure.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I was so stoked when I first learned of Black Mesa. After years of waiting I got too impatient during the install process and moved on.

I should probably give it an actual try this time.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    I wonder if Accursed Farms will do Freeman's Mind in HL2? Which I'd love, btw.

But if they do, how much you wanna bet that they'd get all the way to the end of Episode 2 before HL3 is released?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

But if they do, how much you wanna bet that they'd get all the way to the end of Episode 2 before HL3 is released?
    I'd bet on Sisyphus pushing his boulder to the top of that hill before HL3 is released.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

I'd bet on Sisyphus pushing his boulder to the top of that hill before HL3 is released.
    He pushes it up all the time, the issue is that it then rolls down again.

• Options
    I'm currently doing my yearly HL2 and episodes playthrough and I do see why Accursed Farms would be hesitant to do Freeman's Mind with this game.

While HL1 is easy, with very little dialog aside from the occasional asshole soldier or witless scientist, HL2 has a lot of dialog with Alyx. Which means that with their current characterization of Freeman, it'd come off as pretty misogynic with how Alyx gets a big hard crush on Gordan towards the end.

Not that it can't be done. They could always go full Archer after all. But it'd be difficult.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I'm playing Black Mesa with like 11 mods installed. I'm nuts!

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    What kinda mods

• Options
    edited January 2015
    LaCabra wrote: »
    What kinda mods

-Surface Tension Uncut (Adds in missing Surface Tension maps)
    -On a Rail Uncut (Adds in missing On a Rail maps)
    -On a Rail Loop Mod (Adds in the initial rail loop)
    -We've Got Hostiles Vent Mod (adds in the vent backtracking in "We've Got Hostiles")
    -Black Mesa: Uplink (Uplink, updated for Black Mesa)
    -HL1 Xen Levels Port (Straight port of the HL1 Xen Levels)
    -Classic Vortigaunt Skins (Colored to look more like HL1)
    -Crowbar Impact Sound Fix (Makes it so it generates the "Woosh" noise even when it hits something)
    -Closed Captions Update
    -Updated skill.cfg with jumping that makes the couch-jump not as necassary and makes the soldiers less omniscient.

and the most important mod of all

-HECU Radio Chatter Swap (Replaces the soldiers audio with HL1 versions.)

EDIT: I should say this is my first time playing a bunch of these, so I can't say if they're any good or not.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

I meant like actually reaching the top of the hill tho, not just the action of pushing it

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Every year I do a run of Half-Life.

And every year I try to see how far I can get without dying even once.

But there are a looooot of bullshit kills in Half-Life.

So far the furthest I've made it is the segment where you're being chased by an Apache helicopter across a dam.

Then I stepped on a mine in the sand.

RT800 on
  • Options

I meant like actually reaching the top of the hill tho, not just the action of pushing it
    Yes, he totally makes it to the top, all the time. It just rolls down again. It's not like he pushes it almost all the way then has to watch it fall. He continually succeeds, only to have his success immediately erased.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'm currently doing my yearly HL2 and episodes playthrough and I do see why Accursed Farms would be hesitant to do Freeman's Mind with this game.

While HL1 is easy, with very little dialog aside from the occasional asshole soldier or witless scientist, HL2 has a lot of dialog with Alyx. Which means that with their current characterization of Freeman, it'd come off as pretty misogynic with how Alyx gets a big hard crush on Gordan towards the end.

Not that it can't be done. They could always go full Archer after all. But it'd be difficult.

Ross Scott could always get other voice actors for main characters. As shown by Civil Protection, he (or someone he knows) can manipulate the source engine with ease, even pre-SFM.

• Options

Yes, he totally makes it to the top, all the time. It just rolls down again. It's not like he pushes it almost all the way then has to watch it fall. He continually succeeds, only to have his success immediately erased.
    Actually it is
    he pushes it almost all the way then has to watch it fall.
    Just checked.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

Ross Scott could always get other voice actors for main characters. As shown by Civil Protection, he (or someone he knows) can manipulate the source engine with ease, even pre-SFM.

That could work as long as he has a female actor to change up Alyx's dialog and expressions editor to reflect Freeman's personality interactions.

There's rumor that Accursed will be doing HL2, but only rumor.

I really hope they do. But on a practical matter, I don't see why they wouldn't. Even Rooster Teeth still does RvB after all these years, as Red Vs Blue is still their primary money maker. But ya never know.

steam_sig.png

• Options

Actually it is
    he pushes it almost all the way then has to watch it fall.
    Just checked.
    Uh... what did you check? In The Odyssey he makes it to the top.

• Options
    In the link you just posted it rolls away just before he can get it to the top as well.

• Options

Nah.

I mean, sure, there's variance in ancient storytelling. Especially in trifling details.

But nah. That boulder makes him fail every time. Arguably there's not much difference between success being rendered pointless and not succeeding in the first place, though.

• Options
    Whoa, this is something I've wanted to see for ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl2HbV3UbMs

http://gzalo.com/halfmapper_en/

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    lol @ almost all the outdoor areas being logically underground

• Options
    Technically there should be two different sections, since you get knocked out in Apprehension the game doesn't map your complete journey between the room, the place you get drug and the trash compactor you get dropped into.

Also, I don't think the mapper accurate models the floor differences on elevators.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Is that the entire game?

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Is that the entire game?

Everything but Xen it looks like.

Edit: Oh and any of the expansions.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It doesn't really matter if the maps strung together make a logically coherent physical representation of an area as long as the maps provided the illusion of a logically coherent physical place, which Half-Life certainly delivered.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    So I finished my mod-filled playthrough of Black Mesa and here are my thoughts on the mods.

HECU Radio Chatter Swap: A godsend. The marine dialog in Black Mesa was just the worst. THE WORST. Also came with a pack that replaces vortigaunt sounds with HL1 equivilants.

Black Mesa: Uplink- Pretty faithful to the original, though it kind of gums up the regular game's titles.

On a Rail Uncut/On a Rail Loop Mod/Surface Tension Uncut: I actually am not 100% sure what was new in On a Rail, due to having play the BM version only once or twice, but overall these felt like fuller experiences. On a Rail isn't comically short anymore, and we get to see the Alien push the marines out in Surface tension

We've Got Hostiles Vent Mod: It's kind of a cheat, as far as I can tell, as you're not actually backtracking, the game is just giving you that illusion, but it's still appreciated

HL1 Xen Levels: These were more than just a straight port; textures looked better and displacement maps were used to give terrain a bit more flavor. Overall it was super faithful, aside from the missing gonarch (replaced with tons of vortigaunts) and some stuff about the Nihilanth fight.

Overall, my biggest issues are still with the mod itself. Enemies attack too quickly, so guys like the Vortigaunts and Houndeyes can easily tag you before you can react, whereas in Half-Life you typically could get out of the way or kill them if you knew what you were doing. Also a Houndeye will die in a single shotgun blast in HL, whereas it takes two in Black Mesa. :razz: Also, Marines still suck, due to the way the monster mechanics work (I circled strafed around one and he was literally shooting out the side of his gun at one point.)

I still think I prefer oldschool Half-Life. Probably because I'm old.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Oldschool HL is definitely better. BM is still a free mod made for guys not getting paid for it, it's unbelievably rough around the edges. Maybe the new version will be better.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Unbelievably rough around the edges? That strikes me as hyperbole. What kind of edges are you thinking of?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Thirith wrote: »
    Unbelievably rough around the edges? That strikes me as hyperbole. What kind of edges are you thinking of?

naturally, there's some hyperbole

But there's truth there.

The military voices, which are nearly unanimously disliked, are a 'rough edge'. I don't mind that the generic scientist was made explicitly Eli, but there's a case to be made for that beat to feel shoe-horned in. The various meme-signs and stuff like Boom Candy are a little out of place. They're great - both had me giggling a little - but I can see it turning some people off.

There's some roughness on display in the disparity between maps: some, iirc, are very well crafted (ignoring whether they're being faithful to the original). Others are fairly sloppy. While I cut them some slack (given the frankly massive project and disparate staff), stuff like these anecdotal examples definitely count as rough.

I seem to recall a few areas with show-stopping bugs, but I'm not positive where and when they occurred (or if they were part of the initial release), and I don't seem to have any screenshots.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Black Mesa: Uplink- Pretty faithful to the original, though it kind of gums up the regular game's titles.

How did they do the ending? Is it a cliffhanger like regular Uplink?

I played the crap out of HL: Uplink back in the day when I was a kid and couldn't afford full versions of games. :)

• Options

How did they do the ending? Is it a cliffhanger like regular Uplink?

I played the crap out of HL: Uplink back in the day when I was a kid and couldn't afford full versions of games. :)

Same ending, basically.

As for Black Mesa's rough edges, I think it had a definite few.

The Soldier voices were utterly terrible, and detracted a lot from the experience, IMO.

Weapon and Monster balance wasn't great, IMO. Enemies react so fast they can shoot you through their own backs, and are vastly more accurate than you are. Charge-up attacks give you basically no time to react compared to the original Half-Life, which is especially dumb considering they take more hits to take down in Black Mesa, which is ALSO ALSO dumb given they give you less ammo overall on these things. Additionally, I felt there were a few encounters that were poorly tuned (the fight at the end of Lambda Core especially.)

Level design is a mixed bag; for every great reaction, there's either a truncated experience (Surface Tension and On a Rail, though I guess some people don't like On a Rail) or maps that are so ridiculously 1-to-1 with the original, that they'll do things like give you four packs of crossbow ammo, before you can even pick up the crossbow. (Which, in Black Mesa, means you can't pick up it's ammo. Even if you could, you can only hold 15 bolts, rather than 55 like in original)

And the entire ending of the game being missing.

It's not a bad experience, but it does have some really rough edges. I'm looking forward to the next release, which will be polished up and include the ending; as well as what the paid Steam version turns out to be.

• Options
    Sounds like Freeman's Mind is on hiatus for a good long while at least. The creator wants to do a machinama movie (not Half-Life related) and is going to be putting his spare time into that, outside of stuff like his Game Dungeon videos.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Gordon grown old and fat, I find that rather heart warming actually :)

steam_sig.png