As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    People with an extreme surplus of cash could just drive the price of the IO sets with funky side effects through the roof, which encouraged more farming and influence accumulation, which led to further inflated prices, and... yes. This was the exact problem. People that spend all their time playing warp in-game economies! :D

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    Counter proposition: The prices reflected the level of supply/demand and the amount of Inf in the economy, not the nefarious doings of a market cartel working to screw over the little guy.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have found that is as much of column B as the mechanics will support, and the remainder is column A.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    You don't have to be malicious to contribute to a bigger problem. Besides, no one was implying the latter, even my original point was just exaggeration for comedic effect. Bit late to really care about a dead game's economy at this point!

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Bit late to really care about a dead game's economy at this point!

Now that we can agree on :)

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Between Reward Merits, Astral Merits, and Alignment Merits, picking up some LotGs to fill the gaps in a permaDom build wasn't hard either. And the mid-range salvage could be had with tickets pretty readily.

kafziel on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    I just absolutely love you guys.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    They couldn't PVE balance entire archetypes from release until the game got killed, I've zero confidence they had the manpower and know-how to balance something that requires as much tuning as PVP. Especially with the sheer number of powersets, both existing and new ones they kept pumping out.

The few "real" PvP matches I participated in were garbage.

That one mode where you had the NPCs (from badges and cheevos) and lead them around Mastermind style? That was amazingly fun. I'm sort of surprised they didn't expand on that to have a range of PvP and PvE instances where you could use your cheevo-bros.

edit: apparently this was the Gladiator mode.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    They couldn't PVE balance entire archetypes from release until the game got killed, I've zero confidence they had the manpower and know-how to balance something that requires as much tuning as PVP. Especially with the sheer number of powersets, both existing and new ones they kept pumping out.

The few "real" PvP matches I participated in were garbage.

That one mode where you had the NPCs (from badges and cheevos) and lead them around Mastermind style? That was amazingly fun. I'm sort of surprised they didn't expand on that to have a range of PvP and PvE instances where you could use your cheevo-bros.

edit: apparently this was the Gladiator mode.

Yeah, those pokemon battles were pretty entertaining, though you could get some insanely overpowered dudes on your team (the Boss Cobras IIRC could steam roll their point value).
    But the actual PvP content, unless you where running some of the end game TFs where you needed the nuke rewards from that one section, or the skeleton jell-o molds from the other PvP section... Just better avoided altogether IMO.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    My memory of IO mat prices is entirely different. They were affordable when the crafting system went in, but after a while their price slowly rose and rose, thanks to every single recipe needing them. Oh, they introduced a new powerset? Everyone makes an alt, everyone needs those mats come level 25, the auction house empties of everything affordable and remains expensive until all of those alts have been equipped, which took a while.
    I guess if you only made alts in between new powerset releases they were cheap? For me it got to the point where I'd hit level 25, queue up some auctions and then played a different character for a week+, only logging into my alt once or twice a day to collect successful auctions, craft what I could craft and queue up new auctions for what was left. Fast it wasn't, not unless you had a lot of cash to blow.

Between all the different merits, AE tickets, and whatever they called the recipe re-rollers, the economy was actually pretty well in hand by the time the game ended.

Also I was hypothesizing about a magical world where the game's management had been competent, and the the game hadn't been canceled when I mentioned a MOBA. My idea was that, because this game was impossible to "balance" - which I will maintain forever was a feature, not a bug - PVP needed to be it's own game. There's be some interplay, sure. If you bought plant control in the MMO, you got access to it in the MOBA, badges in one carry over to the other, blah blah etc. Maybe even redo the arenas so they launched the MOBA, in addition to it being a stand alone game.

Then PVP people would be happy, people who don't PVP would be happy, and Paragon would have mad stacks to hire someone to redo the entire "Daddy will you fly me to heaven?" schmaltz and we could all pretend it never happened.

EDIT: Enhancement converters! That's what they called the recipe re-rollers.

That was bugging me.

Narbus on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    WE BACK*

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/victory-users-librarian-congress-renews-and-expands-protections-fair-uses
    Archiving and Preserving Video Games

The Librarian granted part of EFF’s new proposal for an exemption to preserve abandoned video games. The new exemption allows players to modify their copy of a game to eliminate the need for an authentication server after the original server is shut down. Museums, libraries, and archives can go a step further and jailbreak game consoles as needed to get the games working again. Disappointingly, the Librarian limited the exemption to games that can’t be played at all after a server shutdown, excluding games where only the online multiplayer features are lost. Still, this exemption will help keep many classic and beloved video games playable by future generations.

*LEGALLY, ONE DAY

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    all that means is that you can legally bypass the requirement to log in to a server to play a game, which doesn't help emulate anything that was stored or processed serverside

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Quick, someone find all those super hoopty excel spreadsheets that they inexplicably used to track everything at Paragon!

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It's been so long since the CoH shut down.
    Yet when a friends UPS package disappeared in malta of all places I couldn't resist commenting "The Malta Group took it", while nodding sagely.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    So an interesting things has occured.
    I don't quite get the how in How we got these videos, but the important point is, there's some videos of City Of Titans out in Game-Form

http://massivelyop.com/2015/12/19/valiance-online-roots-for-city-of-titans/

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    So, after getting through One Punch Man, man did I ever have the desire to play this again.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    In-game test footage is looking not too bad for City of Titans

https://youtu.be/n_dLm9JcogQ

Reports are saying that CoT might be "playable" for the public before Christmas this year.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Well hopefully it's unlike most of the other unreal games I've seen where it won't make your computer feel like it's a potato.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I've said before that my donation to their Kickstarter was more like a memorial offering. It's actually kind of weird to see that they're making progress, or even that they're still working on it at all. I never expected to see a game come out of that.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    They were showing off what it takes to create the characters (not a character creator but doing the skeleton, mesh, and painting the default body) and on the forums there is someone named "avelworldcreator" who is tagged as "Senior Developer/Co-Founder" who was talking about the release date and he said:
    I want a release date too, but we can't even set a definite date internally - technical issues and all that. Two major issues I'm looking at in my end is user account authentication and hooking up our chat system. Whatever comes out will definitely be an alpha release though. Personally I hope that will be out in the next two months but that's not even close to being official or guaranteed. Are we making substantial progress? Yes. The pieces are coming together. There are things that we put off for near the release, such as updating the website (which will probably be handled by yours truly), that now have finally reached the point they should be a point of focus. That should be a serious clue as to the level of progress. I know I'm excited!

So we might get the first alpha looks of the game soon.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of alpha strikes, Valiance Online opened its pre-alpha for public testing.

http://valiance.shogn.net/game/play

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    The wife and I are driving home from work and we're sitting at a stop light when she says "look where that car was bought..."
    I look at the license plate and it reads "Wentworths"
    I'm like "I don't get it"
    She drops "Have you forgotten already?"

Then after a good 30 seconds, I'm like "ooohh yeah, WENTWORTHS!"

Then we laugh and slowly drift off into silent tears.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I miss you, City Of!

2ydyqtl7c15s.jpg

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I found a cache of old screenshots in a discarded photobucket account the other day and I became sad

Though, jeez this game looked bad by modern standards

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It had its ups and downs- newer content like Preatoria looked pretty neat and mitten-hands aside I felt most player character assets were pretty great. And the attack animations made that game.
    cox_mirrorself.jpg

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I've been having VERY vivid dreams about playing CoH recently. So depressing to wake up and have it gone again.

Still can't believe there isn't a way to play this.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I remember taking the printed player's manual with me to work to read up on the various ability talents; on the way home one evening a particularly bad traffic accident stopped the highway for about 30 minutes, so I took the book out and read through it while I waited.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Everytime I see this thread jump to the top I come rushing in with boundless hope.

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Nobody had posted in here for almost a month...

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I didn't notice it until today, I don't look at the forums usually so much as direct links to them.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ... power avengers assemble.

/cry

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    ... power avengers assemble.

/cry

I lost all my power rangers pictures from CoH :(

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    You're all monsters.
    I just want to be sure that you all know that.

Except now, we're all monsters because I've posted here as well.

see317 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I miss my office worker themed dominator with binary numbers spell fx. He didn't get nearly enough play.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I like swords.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    One of the best things involved in playing a Mastermind was the option of having your loyal minions engage in a dance off.

Ain't nobody got groove like the Funk-Master General's Robot/Zombie/ Ninja/Demon Squad.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Emmert is working on DC Online now, btw.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!