As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Glal wrote: »
    Team Flight was... terrible/hilarious. Behold as your Team Flight provider flies ever so slightly faster than you, until you drift out of the power bubble and plummet to your doom.

Was fun with Robot MMs though, just randomly dropping murder bots across town and hoping they'd be able to catch up eventually.

see317 on
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    It's been so long, but I think my scrapper main ended up with speed AND flight AND teleportation in her power pools, almost entirely by honest minmaxing.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    Team Flight was... terrible/hilarious. Behold as your Team Flight provider flies ever so slightly faster than you, until you drift out of the power bubble and plummet to your doom.

Was fun with Robot MMs though, just randomly dropping murder bots across town and hoping they'd be able to catch up eventually.
    If you were high enough it'd be a case of them blinking out of existence and appearing next to you, only to plummet once more.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm so bummed out. I finally started playing this with a friend three or so months before they closed the servers. I did not get a lot of time to enjoy the game.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    with the resurgence of this thread I thought maybe cox was brought back from the dead :(

What's killing me is that CoH is still listed in the forum description alongside EVE and WoW as if its still one of the current, big-name MMOs. But all that's actually here now is sadness and dreams :(

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I have yet to play a more satisfying class in an MMO than my fire/storm controller. It was a pain to actually level (because I played solo way too much), but once I got all my fire imps and thunderstorm and freezing rain I could just waltz into a group of 10 dudes, lock them all down and unleash the fury of the storm while they were all choking on cinder. Lightning bolts knocking people away, freezing rain knocking them down, tornadoes ripping through them, fire imps dancing madly to and fro ... such glorious chaos that build was.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Stone/Stone brute was mine. Using Teleport/teleport other to either draw them in or jump right into the center, Fault/Tremor to knock everything down. Seismic Smash to Hold something, then unleash the Hammer!

Character name: Maxx Piledriver
    MaxxPiledriver.png

Rocker with the power to Rock!

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Super Speed + Combat Jumping. So much fun...I miss that. Sometimes I'd just run around checking stuff out. Punch the occasional Hellion. Stop and look stylish with the police radio thingy or a newspaper. The emotes were so fun.

MAAAAAAN this game was so great you guys. /cry

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    My Brute had Flight as her main travel power, but used Super Speed and Combat Jumping as her combat movement powers.

She was Electric Melee/Electric Armor/Mu Mastery, with Perma-Hasten from IOs bringing Power Sink down to something ridiculous like a 20 second recharge, and Energize's recharge not far behind it. So she could get away with things like leaving one of the most expensive toggles in the game running during a fight just to make it easier to dash between groups and keep Fury up. I don't think I even had any Endurance Reduction slotted in Super Speed, I think I had one of the +Stealth IOs in it.

Holy crap, I miss that character. No other game is ever going to give me something that so perfectly fits my playstyle as she did. She was an energy-siphoning, high-velocity, super versatile, AoE Engine of Death. With astonishing resilience, considering I ignored Defense in my IO build in favor of Recharge.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    And still no successor to the throne, as we drown in moba clones.

Fuck NCSoft.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, all the "we'll build another CoX! With blackjack, and hookers!" attempts still seem to be knee-deep in early, early, early alpha, despite it being years. At this pace, even if any of them get done, we won't see actual content for a decade still.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    And still no successor to the throne, as we drown in moba clones.

Fuck NCSoft.

the game concept itself is not super difficult, I mean it ran on an excel spreadsheet backend for christ sake

the hard part is the art and 3d models

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    And a big MMO world and thousands of quests to populate it and fun combat that's at least semi-balanced to encourage variety and a server infrastructure to support all this and...

• Options
    those quests were randomized, weren't they? There wasn't really a set quest line 100%, it was all instance based eh?

I'd have figure the power sets and the "balancedness" was already a known thing, but the 3d models and variety + doll room is where the game really shines (and honestly the most complex part of it) the rest is just maths and money.

Money you can probably get if the desire for CoH is as big as the internet pretends it is.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    those quests were randomized, weren't they? There wasn't really a set quest line 100%, it was all instance based eh?

I'd have figure the power sets and the "balancedness" was already a known thing, but the 3d models and variety + doll room is where the game really shines (and honestly the most complex part of it) the rest is just maths and money.

Money you can probably get if the desire for CoH is as big as the internet pretends it is.

Actually if I remember correctly there where a bunch of set quest lines. Even the set quests though were at random locations and 99% randomized maps.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I remain impressed that they managed to get away with those maps. Some tilesets could be a pain in the ass, (hooded magic cult people tunnels, anyone?) but even then they were an excuse to break out the travel powers.

The generated missions and on the fly difficulty adjustment and player level scaling made for some awesome murder times. Your party too strong? Strengthen the baddies! The dude carrying you left? Weaken the baddies! Your buddy is capped and you're not? He can mentor down!

When I play Warframe I get an inkling of what a modern random mission / horde mode super-hero game could be. Glorious, that is. Absolutely glorious ... But here we are.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I thought the arcs that were static kind of petered off at level 15 or 20 though? It's hard to remember tbh.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    They did add more as they went along. Like the Rogue expansion had story lines you'd follow as you slid along the scale, and there were lots of new hotness drop in raid stories. I recall doing some particular setpiece quest lines many times, all that time travel and what have you to do with the magic fountain thing. It got busy.

'Course, that's the long-running MMO thing. They grow. All this content added over years.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah if anyone thinks a CoH clone is going to have the end game content and expansion content of a 5+ year old MMO they're going to be disappointed. But this is partly why MMOs fail, and clones never take off. They feel like they need to deliver the complete experience. But you can't command $15 a month without the complete experience anymore, so pay-to-play or patreon is your best bet.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Makes me wish a company with a relatively more focused vision would chew on the problem, Elite: Dangerous style or similar. A smaller scope of development to release something not-entirely-broken, and building upon it.

Maybe ten years will do the trick after all?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The problem, ultimately, is people want to use new technology (Unreal Engine) and want a cut of the pie (that $15/mo for even a few thousand players is a sweet paycheck tbh) that it just increases the difficulty to do it.

Unreal Engine itself is not the best engine to use. It's bulky, cumbersome, and a pain to work with. You'd be better off with Unity or rolling your own at that level. CoH wasn't ground breaking and it doesn't need ground breaking visuals. It wouldn't hurt, but, part of what made CoH fun was the physics of super heroes. Super speed, flight, knockbacks, teleportation, etc. You don't need to give it the dark knight treatment, but you have to at least pay attention to what made it fun and different from other MMOs.

bowen on
  • Options
    I thought the arcs that were static kind of petered off at level 15 or 20 though? It's hard to remember tbh.

Nah, there were story contacts all the way to the top. Every non-Hazard Zone had at leas three or four contacts, and a lot of the Hazard Zones added after launch had them too, like Croatoa or post-revamp Faultline. Its easy to forget though, because a lot of the missions in the game at Launch were pretty uninspiring, and the story team only seemed to hit their stride around when City of Villains came out.

It was only really the Patrol/Newspaper Missions that were randomized. The rest had set maps and door locations for the most part, but there were SO MANY of them, and mostly built using the same dozen tile sets until they started expanding that asset library very late in the game, that it was hard to keep track of the distinctions unless you were a crazy person who maxed out dozens of alts.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    were you a crazy person

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Nah, there were story contacts all the way to the top. Every non-Hazard Zone had at leas three or four contacts, and a lot of the Hazard Zones added after launch had them too, like Croatoa or post-revamp Faultline. Its easy to forget though, because a lot of the missions in the game at Launch were pretty uninspiring, and the story team only seemed to hit their stride around when City of Villains came out.

It was only really the Patrol/Newspaper Missions that were randomized. The rest had set maps and door locations for the most part, but there were SO MANY of them, and mostly built using the same dozen tile sets until they started expanding that asset library very late in the game, that it was hard to keep track of the distinctions unless you were a crazy person who maxed out dozens of alts.

Hi what's up.

• Options
    were you a crazy person

We're all in this thread happily reminiscing about a game that was shut down nearly 5 years ago.
    I don't think any of us can really lay claim to perfect sanity.

That said, anyone else remember that free weekend where we took the low level hazard zone (the hollows?) by force? Those were some good times.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    were you a crazy person

It's been five years already!? Jesus, it still hurts like it was yesterday.

I didn't run with PA teams all that often, but every time I did was a magical journey. There was one team that was mostly MMs, and I think two or three of us were Thugs MMs? So we'd all hit gang war together and flood huge areas with a shit-ton of minions.

I remember running a really fun MoLRSF where someone accidentally aggroed a bunch of the final Heroes early and we still kicked their asses.

I have really distinct memories of a Lady Grey we ran together where somebody, I think it was Tube?, absolutely wrecked everything with their Perma-Dom Psi Dominator to the point I barely got to attack. That was a really interesting experience.

God, there's so much I miss about this game.

• Options
    Who wasn't a crazy person in City of Heroes? The game encouraged playing multiple characters to the point where the condition was called "Alt-itis".

I don't think I created more superhero concepts than Stan Lee, but I took at least 30 different characters to their 30s (and ONE to 50. Because while the late game content was fun the levelling process was slow and much of the content required teaming up due to archvillains).

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    with the resurgence of this thread I thought maybe cox was brought back from the dead :(
    This thread for a game nearly five years dead is more active than some threads for active games.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    *starts working on CoH clone*

*gives up and eats cheetos instead*

• Options
    Who wasn't a crazy person in City of Heroes? The game encouraged playing multiple characters to the point where the condition was called "Alt-itis".

I don't think I created more superhero concepts than Stan Lee, but I took at least 30 different characters to their 30s (and ONE to 50. Because while the late game content was fun the levelling process was slow and much of the content required teaming up due to archvillains).
    Ah, alt-itis. Good times there. 'Member asking to be power leveled because you had a great idea for a new character but didn't want to waste time punching low level gangsters when you could instead be punching giant robots or assorted other things that needed punching?

I don't think there is any other game where I could play a sentient mushroom that launched bolts of energy, a dwarf injured on the job in a toy factory that believed he was a rogue elf from Santa's workshop (with appropriately deadly toys) bent on revenge against the Fat Man, a cheap Gundam knockoff (because beam rifle had just been added) or a number of refugees from other video games (I remember having a WoW blood-elf knockoff archery defender, as well as an Ice/Trick Arrow controller based on Marle from Chrono Trigger [Named her "Guardian Princess" and felt clever for a good bit]) and still fit in to the game.

• Options
    Some of my more memorable characters were:
    Stone/Stone Brute. The previously mentioned Maxx Piledriver.
    FF/Psy defender. A psychic schoolteacher coming back as a Revenant to crush the Council of Thorns.
    Earth/Rad Controller. An interdimensional being of perfect law; summoned by mistake and seeking to correct earths deficiencies.
    Elec/elec Brute. An insane combatrobot crafted by the illegitimate daughter of Nemesis to prove herself better than him and based on her supervillain love interest (an egomanical geneticly enhanced warlord considering himself the Perfect Man). The thing was that both the mad scientist and her supervillain love interest were members of my supergroup.
    MA/Willpower Stalker. A rogue half-human, half-yokai assassin for hire who after being betrayed by his associates becomes a mythical nightstalker out for revenge.

With the exception of Maxx Piledriver (who is more of a personal favorite), everyone of them won several costume/character competitions.

• Options
    I am still chuffed that the raids they started churning out at the end were a Nemesis plot.

Everything was a Nemesis plot.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I am still chuffed that the raids they started churning out at the end were a Nemesis plot.

Not everything is a Nemesis Plot.

P.S: Besides.
    "I assure you, my good man, Nemesis is most definitely 'down with the street.' Word up, my homie, as it were."

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options

Not everything is a Nemesis Plot.

P.S: Besides.
    "I assure you, my good man, Nemesis is most definitely 'down with the street.' Word up, my homie, as it were."

The loading screen that told you that not everything was a Nemesis Plot?
    Totally a Nemesis Plot.

• Options
    I had every character slot on Virtue Server, including the max number of extra slots you could buy, filled with someone who was at least 30 when the game shut down. And I was getting close to needing to buy more slots in Justice Server.

What's really crazy about that many alts is that I still had two main characters that I played more than all the rest of them combined. One of whom, the Electric Brute, had a solo supergroup that I'd dumped enough money into to have it fully upgraded, max size plot, full Base Raid load-out even though Base Raids were broken years before I even started the group.

If you ever saw a character on Virtue sporting a tag for the "Captain Mako Appreciation Society And Scrapbooking Club" villain group, that was me.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Robo the Clown

Robo the Clown

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Robo the Clown

Robo the Clown

My hero.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    More like four years and change dead, but... yeah.

Goddamn it.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Robo the Clown

Robo the Clown

My hero.

Still love that Robo in his garish glory is what clued you in that these guys were Penny Arcade's SG

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm still holding out hope for City of Titans and Valiance Online. Both of them are looking pretty good and CoT is almost done with character creation, it's city is mapped out and being detailed, and combat has been shown in it's most alpha form, but not much since. They are looking at having a beta out by Fall of 2018.

Valiance Online looks to be farther, with them saying they were heading towards alpha "soon" back in November, but news from them seems to be much more rare than the CoT team. No idea when Valiance will have alpha up.