As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kentucky Route Zero: A Game In Five Acts | ACT FOUR!!! OUT NOW!!

2»

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You know you could actually find the (act 1 spoilers)
    crashed truck right?
    just head south westish on the mapif I recall correctly.

But yeah I went the (act 1 spoilers)
    ghost conversation route and almost instantly realised Weaver was dead.

And those mines....... eeeeeeep! D:

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I thought it said "Kentucky Fried Zoo".

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I just hope this all ties together satisfyingly. Act 2 has some stuff in it I'd typify as being delaying tactics of a sort, and the text adventure side quests end up feeling more cluttery this time around. Things happen because they do. I wish it gave us more time with the characters themselves.

• Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I didn't know that first bit, Classy! That's pretty cool. I still haven't fully explored the map, it's good to know there's a few things stuck around like that.

Is there any part in particular for Act II you're talking about, Linespider?
    Some of the comments I hear elsewhere are generally dislike for the Bureau bits. Especially at the beginning where it wants you to muck around in bureaucracy for a bit, I think.

I liked the Bureau though myself. It set that kind of mind-numbing banality against a lot of weirdness in a way that really meshed well with the rest of the game, for me. The thing itself being an office set inside a cathedral whose congregation has been relocated to a storage warehouse, the 'grotesques' in the lobby, the proposals Lula sifts through regarding other reclaimed spaces, 'ingestion clerk' is basically a really strange job title.

There are some smaller touches too that are nice, such as the reactions of the bears and the people in the conference to your presence. Like, the bears turn and look at the elevator as it moves past but ignore you if you get out, the conference dwellers ignore the elevator but turn and stare at you if you come in. The incredibly irritating skipping record on the top floor that the guy there neither notices nor cares if you fix it (ungrateful bastard). The pamphlet of secret tour locations.

Also, there's a floor labeled "bears" that has nothing but bears on it.

Ynuu on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i've yet to play act II of this and i don't know why. i replayed act I when II got released so that it'd be fresh in my mind and to take the chance to explore the area off the highway and see/read about the various locations in the area but for some reason i've still not moved onto act II.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    You should play it! It's quite good.

Although, I did just find this on their twitter:

7lImA1Z.png

I am excited and really impatient

Ynuu on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so finally got around to playing through Act 2 and WOW!

i thought Act 1 was impressive but they really took it up a notch with this. everything about the game screams 'simple' and yet the visuals are stunning(the forest especially), the music haunting and the writing draws you in, doing an amazing job of making you feel lost and confused in a world where everyone else knows what's going on.

and as Ynuu pointed out,
    Bears!

so random and unexpected and yet somehow it doesn't feel at all out of place, because why wouldn't they be there?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    No word on Act 3 yet, but these guys just released 'The Entertainment', another side thing. It's interesting. Maybe half an hour to go through once.

edit: and by just released I mean it's apparently been out for a few weeks, but this is the first I've heard of it

Ynuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I have such high hopes for this series, if that's what we should call it. I'm just not sure the Acts are going to stand on their own very well. I thought Act 1 did an excellent job at this. Act 2 had a lot of what made Act 1 great, but it felt a lot more disjointed, not as cohesive in terms of 'these are things that belong together in this narrative.'

My main concern is that this may be a story that chooses to end, rather than having a cumulative ending. But I'll still be getting each piece as it becomes available.

EDIT: Just finished 'The Entertainment'

Holy crap. That got...
    unexpectedly terrifying.

I wasn't expecting shit to get real like that.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    A question about 'The Entertainment'.
    What happens if you're facing the stage and don't turn around? I, uh, play with good-quality headphones and was already looking at the Exit, so...

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    A question about 'The Entertainment'.
    What happens if you're facing the stage and don't turn around? I, uh, play with good-quality headphones and was already looking at the Exit, so...
    I think it just makes the noise behind you until you turn around.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ACT THREE IS OUT NOW

FUUUUUUCK YES

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    bullshit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The added atmospheric shaders are amazing. KR0 was always pretty, but this installment is at a whole 'nother level.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Nothing else like it.

The one shame is it's...

It's a game it feels like you should play once and be done.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've heard that apparently things change quite a bit based on some of your decisions, FWIW.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I've heard that apparently things change quite a bit based on some of your decisions, FWIW.

I know.

That's part of why.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Without getting into specifics, this act contained moments of incredible poignancy and beauty the kind of which you desire to be able to experience again for the first time, and also moments I didn't want to end despite a compounding sense of unease and horrible realization.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Of course, it's not an easy game to predict, but I think I might see something coming for a future act.
    Conway owes Hard Times. Which is going to leave him in the same position as all the skeletons there. Unpleasant.

(Bunk bed. New truck. Nice foreshadowing.)

But Junebug picked up an IOU from the bar. That's pure debt in the opposite direction. If there's an out, there it is.

• Options
    Act 3 spoilers, obviously:
    I didn't get to ask what he'd be driving in the future. But I did ask what his next job would be. "Driver."
    I picked up on him working for Hard Times right at the beginning, with the leg and all the couched language from the Doctor.
    But that you can't get out of working for them... the sheer, bureaucratic terribleness of it all, I did not see coming.
    I also didn't expect the cursor hijack.

• Options
    I know I would hardly be the first person to decide it might be time to attempt a longform essay about this game. I won't be doing it now, but I think about it quite a bit.

Two things this game does, very, very well, that a lot of games could learn from:

1) The very deliberate sense of stagecraft exhibited here. More than level design or scenery building, the way this game succeeds at building spaces that have real presence and significance to them in a very palpable way, without even having to tell you why.

2) The camera. My god, the camera in this game. Where there are games where the camera whips all over the goddamn place at absolutely any errant whim of the player, letting people barrel through scenes with hardly any focus or attention to their surroundings, here you get...focus. Slow builds. Angular shots that gradually climb over a scene. See a scene from one point of view and expect that's the entire presentation, see it in that one point perspective and observe it as a two dimensional composition, and, oh....now...watch the entire scene rotate before your eyes, showcasing the structure entire. It's just marvelous.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I am kind of disappointed that none of the top-rated reviews for KR0 are really depicting/descriptive of the mindset/mood the game invokes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    YES YES YES YES YES ANOTHER FREE GAME

http://kentuckyroutezero.com/here-and-there-along-the-echo/

FUUUUUCK YES

(see also here)

I haven't played it yet but Limits & Demonstrations and The Entertainment were every bit as good as KR0 proper so I'm pretty happy.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I just came here to post about Here and There Along The Echo!

I was uh, apparently a little behind the curve.

Anyway that was fantastic.
    I feel that the snake handling advice alone was worth the wait. And then, everything else that happened.

Ynuu on
  • Options
    Act IV is out.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Two or three more years and it'll be done. :P

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm almost done with Act III. KRZ is a fantastic but depressing journey into the American Nightmare.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767