As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elemental]:WarofMagic:FallenEnchantress:LegendaryHeroes: Sorcerer King: Electric Boogaloo

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Apparently a couple monsters got their home tile destroyed and decided to truck it out into the dark reaches of the map, keeping the quest from completing.

Report it on their forums, because that bug was supposedly fixed in 1.4 and I think 1.5 is now out already. Hope you have a save game left to upload as well.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Interestingly I'm actually rather pleased by the AI's tactical battle performance. It's a lot better than Master of Magic's, for example.

The tactical AI is really damn fine, it's become pretty hard to game it for easy victories anymore. Changes to the initiative system and all the weapon/racial special abilities have helped that a lot too.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Interestingly I'm actually rather pleased by the AI's tactical battle performance. It's a lot better than Master of Magic's, for example.

The tactical AI is really damn fine, it's become pretty hard to game it for easy victories anymore. Changes to the initiative system and all the weapon/racial special abilities have helped that a lot too.
    Speaking of which, I love the changes to the militia. They hit like a truck. I've had more trouble (and suffered more losses) against enemy militia than anything else I've fought so far.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Yeah it's really hard (impossible) to poach cities with heroes. Swarm mechanics and militia that is more than a speedbump.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm finding Commanders and Mages to be the most useful heroes. Warriors and Defenders are pretty weak unless you luck out and get some kickass piece of gear to hand them earlier than you could get on units. Last game I lucked out with Bacco and got him a big-ass sword, which I paired with focusing purely on Attack upgrades from his levels. He slaughtered everything. But my other warrior heroes, including all of them this game, are weaksauce.

Wait, that's not true. I got the assassin kitty with Maul. That one is hilarious. Especially when paired with a Commander that has Command and all the accuracy boosters. Everything dies.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    If you can find the unique monster with the horn that gives you Maul, that is a game-changing item right there.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Uuuuugh after my first mostly-successful game I've been getting my face pushed in and I'm really wondering what the hell I'm doing wrong. I'm having a lot of trouble putting together an empire infrastructure that can actually pump out good units in less than ten turns, should my first priority be putting up a Fort city for units? I keep thinking I'm doing well and then the AI waltzes in with armies that would take me two-three hundred turns to assemble and roll my shit.

Should I be sending my heroes out to explore and level at all times? Should I keep them at home? Should I be backing them up with units and building minimal improvements at home? I don't knowww. The fact that it's so damn hard to build troops that are actually worth a damn is a problem too.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    What faction or what custom faction traits you pick make a big difference in how you play, so maybe tell us what your normal setup is. There are a few universal rules.

Expand wildly in the early game. More cities = more production queues. I generally start off with a town, then a conclave, then a fort, but that can vary depending on the resources I find. Lower taxes to start with, while you have some gold on hand. Don't be afraid to rush production on a few early buildings. Research spears and leather armor as soon as is reasonable. Leather + spear troops last for quite a long time.

Make sure you build +food buildings a little bit before a city is about to hit its population cap. Keep an eye on your unrest and put up unrest buildings where needed. Remember that there is an unrest penalty for settlements not connected via sphere of influence to your capital. Prioritize production buildings in fortresses. Remember to cast city enchants!

Yes, your heroes should be exploring constantly. Look for unguarded goodie huts or easy lairs. Keep at least two units of your best troops with each hero. Don't feel bad about abusing save/load until you get the hang of what you can fight and what you can't.

Cog on
  • Options
    A fort with the unit cost reduction building upgrades should be able to spit out powerful units in under 5 turns. Build your forts in 4+ Material tiles. Use Enchanted Hammers to get the buildings up quickly (if you can't afford to rush them), then switch to unit-boosting enchantments.

If you're stuck with some bad production and you can't do anything about it, take a visit to the unit designer. Make very basic, cheap units with little to no defenses and solid attack power. Maybe with Club type weapons so you get the bash skill for extra damage at the cost of a turn. These will basically be glass cannon units that you use to wipe out enemies in a single shot. You'll lose them fast, but you can replace them, and you can use them to protect your more valuable leveled-up units (such as your hero).

Alternatively, if you can't beat them with numbers (and frankly I never have close to what the AI produces), beat them with magic. Put Meditation in every city, get every node you can, and avoid maintenance enchantments. In battle, win by using summons and direct damage spells (hasting your spellcasters on the first round). Use a kiting strategy to stay alive.

It's also really nice if you can get your hands on just one "Super Unit" that's way ahead in Atk/Def and can flatten large groups by itself. Well, not entirely by itself; you'll probably still want to grant it Swarm bonuses by sending some mooks to aid it. But anyway, if you can get just one super strong unit, you can leverage it to kill everything. Especially with liberal use of haste/slow and such.

How do you get such super units? You can rush some military tech and produce it perhaps, but you're usually better off finding it through questing. With rapid, successful questing, you'll usually get some kind of powerful unit and/or piece of equipment that you can leverage to win wars.

If the AI is actually attacking you, goad them into attacking your cities. You get free militia units you can use to give swarm bonuses to your army. Also their bash skill delivers some serious pain.

If all else fails, get an army of archers/mages on horseback and cheese most everything to death. Stack +Initiative items and traits (you'll want lots of crystal for this, generally). This won't work against fast units, but that's typically more of a problem against world monsters, not AI armies. Wargs can be superior to horses with this strategy due to the Init boost they grant.

• Options
    IslandDogIslandDog Registered User regular
    The v1.6 update for Legendary Heroes is out today on Steam. Lots of fixes and balancing, and making way for some upcoming DLC. :)

Full changelog is here.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Glad to see some of the heroes that show up late get some love; that's overdue.

• Options
    IslandDogIslandDog Registered User regular
    New 'Leaders' DLC pack is out today. The Leader Pack adds a new sovereign to each of the ten factions, plus new abilities and items to the custom sovereign creator.

There's also a livestream at 3pm EST where Kael will be talking about the DLC and taking questions. Be sure to stop by. :)

• Options
    Maaaan. Thats just what I need, a reason to play like 10-20 more play-throughs to try the new sovs with all the factions.

Seriously, that's exactly what I needed.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Maaaan. Thats just what I need, a reason to play like 10-20 more play-throughs to try the new sovs with all the factions.

I need a sale on the base game so I can do exactly that!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Check your email

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    This is NOT solving my "too many games, not enough time" problem.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Darmak wrote: »

Check your email

Let it be known, Darmak is a hero, and will be my first hero!

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So question about the talent that lets you learn Magic as books. Is it exactly what it says? Like, I could start with no magics and learn all 4 if I so choose? Same with my companions?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    So question about the talent that lets you learn Magic as books. Is it exactly what it says? Like, I could start with no magics and learn all 4 if I so choose? Same with my companions?

Yes, it's a pretty awesome ability.

• Options
    damn, going to have to restart then! 20 hours lost to another turn...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I guess I should ask. what are your favorite starting talents/character setups? I've been doing the perk that lets you fortify, and talents, pretty much anything defense/accuracy oriented and Scrying pools.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    damn, going to have to restart then! 20 hours lost to another turn...

Yeah, basically, it adds 4 items to your shops, that each teach rank 1 of a spell school (Fire, Earth, Air, Water; no Life or Death, though).

They're expensive, and you still need to use a level-up point to advance to rank 2, though.

• Options
    I guess I should ask. what are your favorite starting talents/character setups? I've been doing the perk that lets you fortify, and talents, pretty much anything defense/accuracy oriented and Scrying pools.

+25% DEF for all units, Cruel (+5% unrest [wah] and +1 ATK), the other +ATK perk (Mighty or somethig? I forget, its like +3 ATK). Earth magic ALWAYS, and ALWAYS rank 2. Stone skin and enchanted hammers out of the gate? You're goddamn right I will. Usually another school at rank one. Most often life, otherwise a toss up between water and air. Less often fire. After that it depends on the points left over. The immune to poison and 1hp/level is actually really nice, or just generally whatever strikes my fancy if I have a point left over. Generally combat oriented. I tend to play a melee, high atk sov.

Scrying pools, the +research racial. Master scouts because lets not fucking kid ourselves here. The +Luck/+Accuracy% trait. Usually either the racial weakness that lowers mag resist, or no ranged weapons.

• Options
    My current game is:

Sovereign:
    • Amarian Blood
    • Adventurer
    • Air 2 (Tutelage)
    • Fire 1
    • Vulnerable to Magic
    • Brilliant
    • Attunement

Civ:
    • Vulnerable to Magic
    • Enchanters (Staves + Scrying Pool)
    • The Decalon (Magic Books + Arcane Monolith)
    • Wanderlust (Quest scrolls + Athican Leather + Cool Swords)

Master Scouts is just so good that I refuse to take it.

• Options
    I would take Master Scouts if it was 4 points.

• Options
    @Broncbuster‌

I forgot to mention that the books from the Decalon don't show up until a ways into the tech tree, too, so you'll be waiting awhile for spells if those are your main source.

• Options
    I still prefer a combat sov early game anyway. Your first few heroes always have some spell schools, so you won't go totally without, and the early game is much easier for a melee character than it is for a magic character.

• Options
    I still prefer a combat sov early game anyway. Your first few heroes always have some spell schools, so you won't go totally without, and the early game is much easier for a melee character than it is for a magic character.

Yeah - low mana totals, low mana regen rates, and weak spells (because you don't have any mana nodes buffing them) all combine to make early magic really tough.

You can start with a ranged attack staff, now, at least, but that costs a build point.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @Broncbuster‌

I forgot to mention that the books from the Decalon don't show up until a ways into the tech tree, too, so you'll be waiting awhile for spells if those are your main source.

Good to know. I'll probably just keep my game then.

I'm on my 2nd round already of restarting. I really hate early game slowness, I'll have to wait for that to wear off.

If I could just start with Civics, and leather armor when I begin, I would.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The magic system needs some further re-balancing and probably more than 5 ranks, realistically speaking, so they can have a finer progression of damage spells. In order to do that, it really needs a lot more spells period, but that's been an issue since War of Magic. It's gotten better, but the magic system as a whole still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @Broncbuster‌

Good to know. I'll probably just keep my game then.

I'm on my 2nd round already of restarting. I really hate early game slowness, I'll have to wait for that to wear off.

If I could just start with Civics, and leather armor when I begin, I would.

I'm sure one of the faction perks starts you with Civics. I think one of them starts you with the tech just prior to leather meaning you can take leather as your first research project.

The game's pace settings are worth looking into, to be honest. They simply cut build and research times so (for example) instead of doing nothing for 8 turns before you build/research something, you do nothing for 4 turns instead. I have long been a purist and never touched those settings, but once in a while I'll be in the mood for a quickie and nudge them up a tick. Also if you haven't been playing with monsters on 'dense', I highly recommend it.

Wildlands map + Dense monsters = OH GOD EVERYTHING IS BLOOD AND SPIDERS

Cog on
  • Options
    Yea my most recent start is monsters on dense. That is part of my issue. next to my town I have 4 50-80 strength monsters vs my 40, if my borders expand it is going to be trouble.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yea my most recent start is monsters on dense. That is part of my issue. next to my town I have 4 50-80 strength monsters vs my 40, if my borders expand it is going to be trouble exciting!

Cog on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think one of them starts you with the tech just prior to leather meaning you can take leather as your first research project.

Leather's one of the two first-rank techs in the Warfare tree (the other is Training, which is available via a faction perk).

The other thing I don't think's particularly ... well-working? ... is buying sovereign / champion equipment. Like, the cost to outfit a hero in leather armor is astronomical.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Right, there you go.

You could also make Leather available instead with some quick work in the XML......

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It's unfortunate that the new DLC doesn't include a new champion for the Empire of the Dead.

The game should have a quick start option.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'm a big fan of starting with Wealth, beelining to rushing, and then blasting out a pioneer or two. Cog and Elvenshae's explanation of why it's easiest to go fight-y early is spot on, as well, though apparently everyone else forgot the crucial "bring an axe," part of that. It doesn't stay true, and occasionally the game will be all "lol bears and spiders and umberdroth" and you'll feel silly, but it's huge against men and darklings-heavy maps.

Also, personal preference, but I prefer the Men with +1 movement.

• Options
    Rush is such an awesome racial ability though.

And yeah, axes are pretty awesome, but so are the counter attacks from swords, especially if you get into the tree that gives you multiple counter attacks. Plus, most axes exclude using shields, which are fairly useful in the early game.

• Options
    Rush is such an awesome racial ability though.

And yeah, axes are pretty awesome, but so are the counter attacks from swords, especially if you get into the tree that gives you multiple counter attacks. Plus, most axes exclude using shields, which are fairly useful in the early game.

Yeah, it's not like swords are bad. It's just that right out the gate, imo, you're better off using an axe. It'll be a couple of levels before it's useful to switch and you'll get them quicker with the multi-hit.

• Options
    If you're taking earth 2 for stoneskin and have the 25% defense perk, I'm all about taking a shield and stacking all the early game defense I can to max out that def. Then you swipe the armor from your first hero (usually from building the beacon) and the inevitable Bacco, and you're pretty fucking solid for anything up to a cave bear or skath.