As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Planescape: Torment is a pretty fun game

• Options
    ShadowmantShadowmant Registered User regular
    Not sure how to post screenshots on these forums but for those interested the current vote is:

Undecided: 698
    RTwP: 6448
    Turn Based: 6684

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Awww....

• Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular
    I'd prefer TB for this game since we're getting RTwP with Eternity.

They can remove the chore-like aspect of TB by not overwhelming the game with combat encounters. And fewer fights would make sense in a spiritual sequel to PS:Torment.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    They should have thrown in an option to handle all combat through QTEs, just for kicks. I might actually have voted that way, since combat in games like this is mostly filler for me.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I haven't voted yet, because ...

Well, because I need to know more about their combat and ability design.

Like, for me, the basic breakdown is in "interesting decisions by the player per unit time," and there's a pretty hard maximum there before things become overwhelming.

For RTwP, that maximum applies to "interesting decisions by the player across the whole party," because micromanaging each character in real-time is not something I have a lot of fun doing (and it's why I'll never be awesome at Star Craft). So, characters need to be smart about auto-targeting, keeping position, using their abilities, etc., and there can't be huge numbers of potential actions with tight timing constraints because that just doesn't work with RTwP gameplay.

For TB, the maximum really applies to "interesting decisions by the player across each character," and you can get a lot more individually-focused decisions going. But, you have the issue where each combat, no matter how meaninglessish (which is a word, I swear), takes a certain amount of time to resolve, and that can be a pretty large number.

So I see trade-offs for either direction, and I don't know which one I want, yet.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    csuzw wrote: »
    Turn based, you get more discrete actions, and more discrete decisions. The only RTwP I've played that can compete with something like the new XCOM is Freedom Force, and even that's kind of fiddley. RTwP might fit better into the overall game structure, but I tend to find that good turn based systems are more common than good real time systems.

Unless a turn length is smaller than the smallest time period in real time which seems unlikely then the idea that there are more discrete actions and decisions in TB is incorrect. That said I probably agree that there are more good TB systems than RTwP systems around but I don't feel that's a good argument against RTwP especially as it's relatively under-used compared to TB systems anyway.

Discrete was maybe not the best word to use. What I mean is, in TB systems, you can do this or that. You're making very concrete decisions that you have to live with. RTwP, because you can make micro adjustments constantly, sometimes takes the edge off of decisons. Also, because it's phases are less broken up, I think it can be harder to balance it.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    csuzw wrote: »
    Turn based, you get more discrete actions, and more discrete decisions. The only RTwP I've played that can compete with something like the new XCOM is Freedom Force, and even that's kind of fiddley. RTwP might fit better into the overall game structure, but I tend to find that good turn based systems are more common than good real time systems.

Unless a turn length is smaller than the smallest time period in real time which seems unlikely then the idea that there are more discrete actions and decisions in TB is incorrect. That said I probably agree that there are more good TB systems than RTwP systems around but I don't feel that's a good argument against RTwP especially as it's relatively under-used compared to TB systems anyway.

Discrete was maybe not the best word to use. What I mean is, in TB systems, you can do this or that. You're making very concrete decisions that you have to live with. RTwP, because you can make micro adjustments constantly, sometimes takes the edge off of decisons. Also, because it's phases are less broken up, I think it can be harder to balance it.

Honestly, my only real problem with TB systems is that it can sometimes take forever to get through a combat. When it really shouldn't. When tension turns to tedium, something's wrong. Of course, if the fights are few and small in scale, and tailored individually, such tedium can be avoided with good design.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Honestly, my only real problem with TB systems is that it can sometimes take forever to get through a combat. When it really shouldn't. When tension turns to tedium, something's wrong. Of course, if the fights are few and small in scale, and tailored individually, such tedium can be avoided with good design.

Generally I would agree. A good example would be temple of elemental evil. It had a good turn based combat system but the filler fights were tedious.

That said, the devs for torment have stated there will not be any filler combat, so it may not be a very big issue for this particular project.

• Options
    The more I think about it, the more that I come to the conclusion that the only reason not to do everything through QTEs and cutscenes would be the development cost. It would fit in so well with the social aspects of the game.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That and QTE's are the bane of interesting/fun gameplay. You want to play the game, not watch it.

• Options
    RTwP is the bane of interesting/fun gameplay too, so that's not really a valid objection.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That and QTE's are the bane of interesting/fun gameplay. You want to play the game, not watch it.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine a quicker way to completely kill my interest in a game than making it with an excessive amount of QTE. (which is basically any more than 'occasional')

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Shemnue was alright at them, mostly because if you failed the QTE, the story would usually change instead of the cutscene starting over from the beginning like most games. Failing the QTE had story consequences, which is how it should be.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    jothki wrote: »
    RTwP is the bane of interesting/fun gameplay too, so that's not really a valid objection.

Can you give some examples? Most games I can think of with the mechanic I've enjoyed. I can't say I've enjoyed QTE's.... ever.
    TVTropes list of games with RTwP has a hellova lot of good games on it.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Telltale does QTEs well, but I don't really think their style would fit with Torment.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I'd say the QTEs are working pretty great in the Wolf Among Us. I hear a lot of good things about them in Azura's Wrath too.

It is a mechanic that is super easy to get wrong, but it is not necessarily terrible.

• Options
    Hmm... that's right. Telltale games do it alright. Then again, they're more like visual novels than games, even if I do enjoy them.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I kinda want to see what obsidian could do in a pure VN type of game, with no extraneous 'gameplay' to pad it out

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    I kinda want to see what obsidian could do in a pure VN type of game, with no extraneous 'gameplay' to pad it out

Yeah, I'd love to see that too. I'd imagine they could really make something great with the writing talent in the studio.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013

I'm actually pretty sure that would be boring to design for most of them. Atleast not with additional actual gameplay/conflict resolution elements, even if that may not be combat.

Obsidian has more of a generalist approach after all, theres not many in there that prefer just doing one thing, however good they may be.

There's a reason they make rpgs.

So, imo nope.

C2B on
  • Options
    C2B wrote: »

I'm actually pretty sure that would be boring to design for most of them. Atleast not with additional actual gameplay/conflict resolution elements, even if that may not be combat.

Obsidian has more of a generalist approach after all, theres not many in there that prefer just doing one thing, however good they may be.

There's a reason they make rpgs.

So, imo nope.

I guess Spoit was just commenting on how much more likely the visual novel would have good quality writing, if one was made by Obsidian, as opposed to many other developers. It probably wouldn't be terribly interesting for them to develop, but I'd wager that the product would still be very good.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I played the Baldur's Gate games with the option to autopause at the end of the turn, which made it kind of turn-based. Is that an option?

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I guess Spoit was just commenting on how much more likely the visual novel would have good quality writing, if one was made by Obsidian, as opposed to many other developers. It probably wouldn't be terribly interesting for them to develop, but I'd wager that the product would still be very good.

As far as writing goes, there are some pretty decent developers around though in the gerne. I don't see how Obsidian as a whole would be needed. At that point you might just loan an individual who'd be interested in working on a straight up VN.

As far as the individuals I could see Avellone being interested in helping. Considering how he's kickstartering that might happen sooner or later. Ziets might too, though I doubt. Fenstermaker and Sawyer less so.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    That comment mostly came about from playing the Age of Decadence demo. The conversation stuff is great, but the combat is miserable, and the dev seems to want to make the later even worse

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    That comment mostly came about from playing the Age of Decadence demo. The conversation stuff is great, but the combat is miserable, and the dev seems to want to make the later even worse

Eh, I like AOD's combat. It definitly still needs tuning, but it works well and has some good scenarios.

I think the main problem with AOD is, that Vince wants the Speech charachter to be easy and a combat charachter to be hard mode.

As a result its easy to create a speech charachter and go through the game with it. And also boring (IMO). There's ways to add challenge in an crpg even on a speech charachte aside from skill checks..

Then you have the combat charachters which are the opposite. Hard to create with a high entry barrier, but satisfying to play once you figure it out.

Hybrids are (mostly) useless.

That said I haven't played the new demo, so maybe that changed?

C2B on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Turn-based it is then: Link.

We have decided to go with turn-based combat. Ultimately, there are no losers here. This is all part of the process of making an RPG we are all passionate about and we think you’ll like Torment’s combat even if you voted for RTwP. While we have not been looking forward to disappointing half of our backers, we were happy to find that many of the reasons people gave for disliking TB and preferring RTwP can be addressed through the details of our combat system and encounter design. I’d like to go over some of the more common comments we saw either for RTwP or against TB and explain how we will address them.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Decorating for Christmas and I decided to take a picture of this as I hung it on the tree. Yeah its pretty crappy.
    rbFvDhl.png

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What can change the nature of an ornament...

Two-year olds.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Cats come to mind as well.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Cats come to mind as well.
    7O1KBFS.jpg

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    They must deeply regret putting this to a vote. Oh well, at least they made a decision rather than some kind of awkward compromise. And they made the correct decision

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    This got very dark, very quick. From refund demands to fraud accusations to outright threats the reaction got all of it covered.

I do think the poll was a mistake exactly for those reasons.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    It's funny though
    Gi202h2.png

C2B on
  • Options
    With the poll being so close means they were going to piss off the same number of people either way.

I honestly think that if the combat system was a persons main reason for backing this game... they were probably backing the wrong game. The original PS:T was mocked for it's mediocre-poor combat, but it never stopped it from being lauded as one of the best RPG's made due to the amazing story. As long as they make a good story, I'll be a heluva happy backer.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Shadowmant wrote: »
    With the poll being so close means they were going to piss off the same number of people either way.

I honestly think that if the combat system was a persons main reason for backing this game... they were probably backing the wrong game. The original PS:T was mocked for it's mediocre-poor combat, but it never stopped it from being lauded as one of the best RPG's made due to the amazing story. As long as they make a good story, I'll be a heluva happy backer.
    I kind of enjoyed it.

That holy hammer I was packing was pretty damn fun to use.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    This got very dark, very quick. From refund demands to fraud accusations to outright threats the reaction got all of it covered.

I do think the poll was a mistake exactly for those reasons.

People are dumb.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Shadowmant wrote: »

but had the best battle music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1N-Wfd8KaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArMpHw0hYHA